main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Death Star Scene in RotS

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by Prophet 49, Jun 10, 2015.

1. Prophet 49

Prophet 49 Jedi Master star 1

Sep 11, 2014
    Not sure if this has been discussed already, apologies if it has. I was always curious about how long after the events of RotS and the establishment of the Empire the scene with Vader, Palps and Tarkin observing the DS's construction was. Obviously it was long enough to have given the Imperial Navy time to "Imperialize" and strip the red paint and Republic emblem off the Venators, and from the looks of it, Tarkin was wearing the Imperial officer's uniform instead of the Republic officer's uniform. If anyone has read Tarkin by Luceno, it is stated that he himself designed the Imperial service uniform five years after the creation of the Empire and it was put into circulation then. Obviously RotS came out way before the events of that book, but that bit of information could provide a new interpretation of that scene's place in the timeline, especially with the attempt at a unified canonical chronology.

Then, of course, if it were placed later in the timeline, the following scenes with Leia and Luke being delivered to their new homes would have been a step back in time storytelling-wise.

Of course the placement of that scene was not meant to be overanalyzed like this, and was intended for illustrating the transition to the OT era, but it raises interesting in-universe points.

DARTH_BELO and Iron_lord like this.
  2. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    In the EU (Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader) - that scene was referenced, as only weeks after ROTS. I think the Tarkin novel scene (written by the same author - James Luceno - who references other things from Dark Lord in the book) has him designing his own personalised uniform - and not the "generic uniform for all officers".

3. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That is indeed how I read that scene of Tarkin as well, IL. We agree, shocking. :p

4. Prophet 49

Sep 11, 2014
  5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    The main reason I thought it was his uniform specifically, was the way the droid talked about how Sector governors have more leeway when it comes to uniforms than ordinary Imperial officers.

The book ends with him designing the "new uniform" for Grand Moffs after his promotion, though.

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  6. Super_Mace

Super_Mace Jedi Master star 1

Sep 22, 2003
    Oh boy, another missed opportunity in the PT (IMO). Replace some of those annoying CGI aliens and replace them with actual people, like Tarkin. I think he should have had quite a huge role in the PT, how he was overlooked is beyond me. The dude was basically Vader's boss, and they don't even show him at all? Other than to just throw him in at the end to try and attempt to bridge the trilogies? Blah!

[​IMG]

Prophet 49 likes this.
  7. darklordoftech

darklordoftech Force Ghost star 6

Sep 30, 2012
    I was wondering about this too. Of interest to me is that the Star Destroyer has a non-clone crew.

Iron_lord likes this.
  8. Prophet 49

Sep 11, 2014
    Tarkin would have been a fantastic addition to the prequels' plot. I agree, serious missed opportunity there. The Destroyer does have a non-clone crew, but much of the Republic officer class was made of former Judicials and other non-clones (Coburn, Tenant, Needa, etc.).

TX-20 and Iron_lord like this.
  9. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Exactly.

The ST is doing the same kind of thing bringing back Anakin's Lightsaber and his Darth Vader helmet.

It's a symbol to bridge the trilogies. We can haggle over the in-universe points but that is minutiae.

In Star Wars they are ALL people. I guess you would prefer the human actor as Jabba instead of the puppet? A little man rather than Yoda? Bickering humans rather than droids?

There was no role for him in the prequels. It's not his story. It's Anakin and Padme and Obi-Wan and Palpatine and Qui-Gon's story along with Yoda, Mace and all the others.

That's why Tarkin's story is covered in TCW.

mes520, SW Saga Fan and darskpine10 like this.
  10. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005
    CGI aliens? All the Trade Federation aliens were people in masks.....
    and as for Tarkin where would they slide him into the story with all there was to tell ?! They had to cut all kinds of stuff out of ROTS with Padme, the rebellion and Obi-Wan

thejeditraitor and mes520 like this.
  11. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I don't really think Tarkin should've had any bigger of a role in the PT than someone like Raith Sienar. None-since the story the PT was telling focused on other more important things crucial to the turn of events of Anakin's turn.

Actually, in the book Tarkin, it's made apparent that Vader is more a professional companion of Tarkin's. Tarkin is not his boss, but rather the Emperor encouraged them to get to know eachother because he knew they'd be effective together.

And so they were!

In fact, it was almost a kind of odd freindship/mutual respect that they had built between eachother.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    He could have said lines that were given to Mas Amedda and Ask Aak. He also could have participated in the battles of Geonosis and Coruscant.

Prophet 49 likes this.
  13. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    He would've seemed even more shoe-horned in had they included him more.

Glad they kept him out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cwustudent likes this.
  14. Super_Mace

Sep 22, 2003

I guess we'll agree to disagree.

I think Tarkin should have been a pretty significant player in the movie. A somewhat younger, more aggressive ladder climber who's in with Palpatine and who advises him on Military operations. Maybe replace that blue guy that hangs with Palps with Tarkin? I don't know, but he should have had some stories / roles in the PT.

Also, as more of a casual fan, who's inner nerd comes out on message boards, I shouldn't have to read a freakin' book to tell me about one of the most important characters from ANH. I should have seen something (other than a 2 second snippet) going into his rise / relationship with Palpatine. Maybe even show Anakin in a Clone War battle with Tarkin there as a military advisor or something. Then we establish a relationship between them. Maybe just Palps, Tarkin, Vader, Obi-wan, and Yoda know what really happened to Anakin. I don't know, I'm just kicking stuff off the top of my head. Or maybe make Vader become Vader earlier in the film, then show Tarkin and Vader lead missions to hunt down remaining Jedi.

DARTH_BELO likes this.
  15. Super_Mace

Sep 22, 2003

[​IMG]

16. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    Surely Tarkin could have been the one to say, "the debate is over, we need that army now" instead of the three-eyed alien who exists only to say that one line.

Prophet 49 and cwustudent like this.
  17. DARTH_BELO

DARTH_BELO Force Ghost star 5

Nov 25, 2003
    I actually once felt the same way. I thought a younger Tarkin could be an interesting minor character in ROTS. I suppose once I read Tarkin I felt different (which I do recommend - it's a very interesting read if you like that character; I'd actually go as far as to say it's one of my favorite SW books, and really enhanced my enjoyment of seeing him and Vader together in ANH). After that, and ESPECIALLY with as much as we've seen him (and looks like we'll continue to) in Rebels that gave him enough attention for my taste...

I agree it's ulitmately a matter of opinion. But still, I'd give that book a read if you're into that kind of thing at all-especially for someone who's a fan of Tarkin! You say you're more of a casual fan, but based on what you've been saying about wanting to see more, I'd think you actually might enjoy expanding into the other media (books, TV series, etc.). Some of it is pretty great! :)

18. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    Lucas had already long decided that he wasn't going to do more with Tarkin in the PT, other than the cameo. It wasn't an oversight.

Tarkin wasn't a senator, but a governor around this time period. Aks Aak was already established before then.

19. darklordoftech

Sep 30, 2012
    EU, which was only c-canon when AOTC was made.

20. Qui-Riv-Brid

Qui-Riv-Brid Force Ghost star 5

Apr 18, 2013
    Well they could have put Tarkin in the opera box.

"Leave us. That means you too Tarkin!"

:D

21. _Sublime_Skywalker_

_Sublime_Skywalker_ Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2004
    Death Star Scene in RotS
    This always kinda confused me. Cause, the plans first show up in AOTC with Dooku acquiring it from the Geonosians, 3 years later at the end of ROTS the skeletal frame is almost complete.....and then it takes 20 years in ANH when it's all the rage and the Empire's "latest" weapon. I think Lucas just wanted to incorporate the DS in ROTS and didn't really think it through.

22. thejeditraitor

thejeditraitor Chosen One star 6

Aug 19, 2003
    part of sw is having characters in the films that don't need huge backstories. that's what the other media is for. flash gordon didn't go into minute detail on every bad guy or henchman that showed up. it's just, "ooh look at that guy, he's bad." that's how these films work.

salacious crumb doesn't have any backstory. he's a just a cool alien monkey lookin dude who does this...

i think people forget that's how these films work because now they're an adult.

23. JEDI-RISING

JEDI-RISING Chosen One star 6

Apr 15, 2005

it was really just a little thing to throw in there for the fans IMO . there was a debate at the time about whether it took place right at that time or some time later. I don't think it really matters. just another little thing to bring the Saga full circle into ep IV

24. darth-sinister

darth-sinister Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 28, 2001
    "Well, Tarkin was basically a small time politician who was a governor of a small Outland Region sector until he became one of the first supporters of Palpatine. As a result of his ties with Palpatine, Tarkin steadily moved up the "political ladder" during Palpatine's climb up the political ranks, which culminated in Palpatine becoming Emperor."

--George Lucas, Leonard Maltin Interview, 1999.

The Tarkin of TCW didn't become a military character until after the war started. What Terry Brooks and James Luceno wrote in the EU was based off of Lucas's own words.

Iron_lord likes this.