main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Death Star Trench

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by EternalRogue, Jul 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EternalRogue

EternalRogue Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2003
    I went searching for a topic on this but found none so I hope someone could help me. Why did the Rebels start so far down the trench only to get shot up.....I mean why didn't they just drop into the trench closer to the exhaust port so they did not have to worry about fighters on their tails. The turbocannons had trouble hitting them so wouldn't this have been a better idea for them.

2. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    There are probably more guns on the surface farther up the trench. By entering quite a ways down, there was less gun cover, and that made it easier to actually get into the trench.

3. EternalRogue

EternalRogue Jedi Youngling

Jul 8, 2003
    that would mean that the empire knew about the problem with the exhaust port wouldn't it

4. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Not necessarily. Maybe they just hadn't had time to put in guns all along the trench with equal spacing. It could have simply been an oversight that there weren't many guns covering one portion of the trench.

5. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    Not necessarily -- the gun placements might have had nothing to do with it -- but there is evidence that the Imperials figured it out, a bit too late:

Officer: We've analyzed their attack, sir, and there is a danger. Should I have your ship standing by?
    Tarkin: Evacuate? In our moment of triumph? I think you overestimate their chances!

6. Errant_Venture

Errant_Venture Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 21, 2002
    Also by going into the trench earlier they could avoid the Imperial fighters that were above them. Granted in the trench they are sitting ducks, it gave them an element of cover easy to miss from above in a dogfight.

7. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    If they went in later then they'd have the fighters as well as the hundreds of turbolasers to worry about, the turbolasers in the trench weren't very numberous compared to the surface

8. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    Yep, and we can assume that the guns on the surfact can't achieve the right angle to shoot inside the trench.

9. ForceHeretic

ForceHeretic Jedi Youngling star 4

Dec 8, 2002
    What's a right angle got to do with it? ;)

10. topgoalscorer_no11

topgoalscorer_no11 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 23, 2001
    Because they thought it would be more exciting that way.

Although- perhaps the exhaust port was on the far side of the death star. they had to take the quickest route because the imperials were gearing up for a shot at yavin 4. they didn't have time to take a steeper angle, and went for an immediate, shallow approach, and went down the trench to avoid the laser barrage.

11. jedi_master_ousley

jedi_master_ousley Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 14, 2002
    The correct angle. ;) They can't point the at the correct angle and part of the trench gets in the way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.