main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Death Stars

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by TheSpence, Jun 10, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheSpence

TheSpence Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 9, 2003
    Was the Emperor fascination with Death Stars his down fall?

2. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    I wouldn't say God- Uhh. I mean the Emperor had a fascination with them. Had the first one survived 3 seconds longer, it would have destroyed the Rebel HQ and all the leaders there. Since it's a researched technology/doomsday device, no point in wasting all that research and never building another one. In fact (well, EU fact in case you don't like it) the second Death Star had the one weakness of the first one (the thermal exhaust port) removed. Instead it was an exhaust vent. Had it been completed, no fighter could have penetrated it and any cap ship would have been destroyed shortly after it came up on sensors.

3. TheSpence

Jun 9, 2003
    But you know what I mean he was determined to have 1 one and in pursuing this aim he lost his life & his empire.

4. joehahn000

joehahn000 Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 13, 2002
    Maby he wanted to be a laser techniction.

But seirosly, the empore thought that bloing stuff up like planets was cool so he wanted to try it and what do ya know you got a evil dude walkin around.

5. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I don't think his fascination with Death Stars led to his downfall. He got careless and sloppy in the waning days of the Empire.

6. GrandMoffTarkin

GrandMoffTarkin Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 22, 2001
    I think Luke was on to something when he said "Your overconfidence is your weakness." The Death Star would have decimated the Rebel forces had the shield remained active. Had the Empire not become over confident, it would have wiped out the ewoks as soon as it reached Endor. As it was, these guys helped the Rebels greatly, allowing them to take out the shield. The rest, as they say, is history.

7. DRK_HLMT

DRK_HLMT Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 7, 2001
    I think the downfall of Palpatine was his arrogance towards Luke. He was so caught up in punsihing Luke that he failed to see the "big picture". When Luke defied him, it sent him in a rage that clouded everything except his rage.

The Death Star was just his way of showing off his arrogance that the RA can destroy his Death Star, but he will build another one. Notice the arrogance in his voice when he told the Death Star commander to fire the weapon. He prided himself to the fact that he had a fully operational Death Star that the RA thought wasn't functional.

8. TheSpence

Jun 9, 2003
    I know what some of you saying, but I just feel after the 1st Death Star got blown up he should have stayed well clear of building anything like that again.

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Why not? The station worked, no question. If the second Death Star had been fully completed, there would have been no stopping it, because it eliminated the weakness that the first one had.

10. TheSpence

Jun 9, 2003
    Both Death Stars failed the Empire

11. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    The second one failed only because it wasn't done yet. Like I said, if it had been completed, it would have been impossible to destroy it.

12. TheSpence

Jun 9, 2003
    The Emperor was the down fall of the Empire & both Death Stars getting blown up proved to be the huge success the rebels were looking for

13. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    The Emperor's problem was trying to draw the Rebels into a trap by using the DS2 as a lure.

Had he not done so, and allowed it to be completed, it would have been virtually unstoppable.

14. JediHunterCommand

JediHunterCommand Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 2, 2003
    The second one failed only because it wasn't done yet. Like I said, if it had been completed, it would have been impossible to destroy it.

"Don't be too fond of this technological terror you've created. The ability to destroy a planet is insignificant next to the power of the Force."

If the second Death Star had been completed, then yes, it would have been very difficult for the Rebel forces to destroy it. But Luke? I imagine as a full Jedi he could have taken it out single-handed, although it probably would have cost him his life.

15. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002

Well, the rebels could have bombarded it for a very, very long time. ;)

If the second Death Star had been completed, then yes, it would have been very difficult for the Rebel forces to destroy it. But Luke? I imagine as a full Jedi he could have taken it out single-handed, although it probably would have cost him his life.

No, he probably wouldn't have been able to take it out alone.

-Evan

16. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    And, even if Luke could destroy it by himself- such an act of destruction with the Force would certainly have been of the darkside.

17. WMCoolmon

WMCoolmon Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2002
    REAL-LIFE PARALLEL ALERT!
    -------------------------
    Since the Empire thought of the Rebels as terrorists, constructing a 2nd Death Star isn't all that different from a larger WTC being built to send terrorists a message.

18. Dark Lady Mara

Dark Lady Mara Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 19, 1999
    Good point. As another parallel, you could also say that the Death Stars weren't the cause of the Empire's downfall but rather a visible symptom of the arrogance of the Empire, which was the real cause of its demise. Arrogance is a running theme with Imperials. "Evacuate? In our moment of triumph?" is a good example of arrogance associated with the Death Stars, but you can also see that people like Ozzel and the Emperor himself are too sure of themselves and unwilling to consider the possibility that they can be wrong.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.