main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

DeathStar 3 Challenge

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by Crunchy, Jul 10, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crunchy

Crunchy Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 29, 2000
    I figured with the onslaught of talented people from this forum that we have here, I'd see if anyone was interested in having their work shown in another fan film.

What I am looking for is a new look for the DeathStar. If you look at ANH and the one in ROTJ, you will see some alterations, differences in design, color etc. This fan film takes place approx. 60 years after the death of Palpatine.

This DeathStar is going to look a little different than the other two because of the period it is built in, just like cars and buildings, the shapes and textures change with each era. It does need to be recognizable to the audience as being a DS, I just want a more updated look.

So if anyone is interested in having some fun, batting around ideas and sharing them with the community, post your pics here. Here is the website for the film: A Rising Threat

2. gameboyry

gameboyry Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 9, 2002
    How bout a cube? I can model one of THOSE for you1 :D

3. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    lol, I'd like to keep it a sphere ;)

Thanks for your comment though

4. AlanSmitheeIII

AlanSmitheeIII Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 25, 2001
    Well....I can't help, but I'll post anyway.. ;)

5. ChrisHanel

ChrisHanel Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 8, 2002
    Have you ever read Darksaber?

-Chris

6. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    No, sorry, I don't pay too much attention to the non-Starwars movies fiction. I don't revolve my story around EU or anything like that, this is my fiction in the SW universe ;)

If anyone would like to see some images of other ships and droids that we have to get a better idea, just let me know...

7. KillerBobBarker

KillerBobBarker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    LOL, the death cube!!!

Can you imagine it... Imperial March playing as a giant, moon sized cube is hurdling through space to destroy a planet.

8. WhisperingDeath

WhisperingDeath Jedi Padawan star 4

May 25, 2002
    hrm, don't you think that a death cube might bring up images of the borg?

Anyway I say that all the good three demensional shapes have been done so lets get some two deminsional shapes like a DEATH PENTOGRAM or a DEATH STAR OF DAVID!

9. Neszis

Neszis Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2001
    Actually, sorry, but I think SciFi3d forum is a much better place for this. Interesting idea, though.

~Neszis~

10. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    sorry nezsis, I had originally put this in that forum...

11. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    Dude, you are missing the point

Death Star of David

this is a great idea!

12. PadawanNick

PadawanNick Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 6, 2001
    That's been done...
    The last segment of History of the World - Part I. :)

Have fun.

13. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    ya, I know...
    "we're jews, jews in space!", right after hitler on ice. aw, that is a great film.

but i just think the name sounds halarious Death Star... of david! hehehe.

14. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    had I been making a parody, that would have been fine, but I am going to stick with the same principle's and keep the spherical look to is. I am going to add it to two shots in an approach to a planet.

15. darth_kohai

darth_kohai Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 30, 2001
    I have very little knowledge of 3D modelling, so I can't really participate here, but I do have an idea:

The same general shape as the other DS, but elongated a bit, an elipsoid. It would be new, yet be obviously related to the old ones.

Just an idea.

16. KillerBobBarker

KillerBobBarker Jedi Youngling star 1

May 6, 2002
    How about an egg or oval shape? You have to change it a little!

17. Darth_Tater

Darth_Tater Jedi Master star 1

Aug 30, 2001
    Well this is what I came up with. I posted it on the AmFilm board but I think Crunchy frequents this a litte more.:D

[image=http://home.earthlink.net/~thekincaids/ds3.jpg]

I did actually make an egg shaped one from the same mesh but I think I like this one better.:p

18. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    LOL Jeremy!

What I am thinking of is like a two tone with more neon lights or something futuristic looking, it doesn't have to have one trench or no trench, just a sphere with a new design, but can be recognized by the audience right away as to what it is...

Here is a pic of the new emperor in his throne room, you can see the different window in the background...sort of:

[image=http://risingthreat.weitech.com.au/images/dynamic/Clip2A.jpg]

19. CoruscantCrisis

CoruscantCrisis Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 25, 2001
    Hey that looks really nice. When's your film gonna be done?

20. Darth_Tater

Darth_Tater Jedi Master star 1

Aug 30, 2001
    In an effort to establish trust within their territories, the Empire designs a friendlier Death Star.
    [image=http://home.earthlink.net/~thekincaids/ds3a.jpg]

Is that the best compositing you can do?;)

21. WhisperingDeath

May 25, 2002
    lol omg!

the ironic thing is that the happy deathsar can kill two planets at once... making for a less happy galaxy population.

22. EremiticWolf

EremiticWolf Jedi Youngling

May 9, 2002
    Ok if you want a new type of Death Star, seeing that it is around sixty years past Palpatine's death. The new Empiror would obviously learn from past mistakes of the Battle of Yavin, and the Battle of Endor. This new Death Star would have to be able to hide easily. Not be so easily destroyed. So the Empire would use the technology they have and seeing that it would improve vastly over sixty years. They may set out to look for a moon with no core, (sort of like our moon) and set up to hollow this moon out. Indoing so would build the inner workings of the Death Star, The Battle Station being protected by many, many miles of rock, then the metal sphere. The surface being "peppered" by SuperLaser emitters. These emitters would hide under the surface until needed then rise out a few seconds before they fire. The spent emitters would then go back under the surface, for protection. Which with this many emitters the Death Star would be able to fire in many different directions. If you would like me to explain a little better, or would just like to know more just ask. I'll give you my E-mail address if you want it.
    If you would like to see an image of the Death Star by itself, not firing or anything you can go here.
    I was going to use this for my FanFilm but I came up with something much better. ;)

23. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    not a bad idea, but the audience is only going to see it for a couple of seconds, so what people will see is just a moon...

What I have in mind is a sphere with no trench, a bigger dish part, in the first film the DS was grey, in the third it was blueish grey, and in this one I was thinking of a purpleish grey, with blue lights and dark and light purpleish textures.

But since it is open to the public, you can take what I have said and add your own personal touches, I am just wanting to stir up some creativity, and have a little fun with it

24. Anonymous_Jedi

Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 4, 2001
    "new Empiror would obviously learn from past mistakes of the Battle of Yavin, and the Battle of Endor."

To our knowledge there were no mistakes on the Death Star II, the only way they got in was because it was still under construction.

25. Crunchy

Jun 29, 2000
    that's a good point

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.