main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Deathstarplans

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Suburp, Jun 20, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Suburp

Suburp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Hi!

I just read through those amazing books of the Han Solo Trilogy from A.C. Crispin.

Beside the fact that those are really great books I just encountered yet another time that there are some none-fitting details among the starwars - universe.

Those new details in the film Episode 4 - Star Wars don't fit all those written stories:
    There's a newly created part in which Jabba speaks directly to Han on Tatooine in front of the Millenium Falcon.
    Except the fact that Jabba is much too small in that piece of film, this scene actually never happened, according to Crispin's books and other sources.
    After Han had to dump Jabba's load of glitterstim in the Maw being trapped by some Imperials, he lands on Tatooine never even having the possibility to contact Jabba, because that Hutt Overlord refuses to talk to Han. Also, Han encounters Fett there who tells him that Han's first and long lasting love Bria was killed doing her duty in an important rebel mission. Jabba's not even mentioned there anyhow. Then just comes Han's encounter with those two well-known Jedi...

Another thing is directly connected with this Bria's last rebel mission. In that trilogy it's her and her brave red hand squadron who fight themselves to death on a secret imperial planet to send the data of the Deathstar to an 'accidently-passing-by' also well-known Corellian Corvette....
    So far so good, but there are at least two different stories I know (and I've by far not yet read all starwars books):
    The first is being told in Lucas Entertainment's StarWars - X-Wing game for PC and other stations. Here it is a secret rebel listening post somewhere in an asteroid field out in the Rim who listens to that information and sends it to the Corellian Corvette.
    The second story is a setup by those people around Peter Mether and Warren Duxbury in The Dar Redemption.
    That is the -though professional made and amazingly arranged (I really like it!)- story of Mara Jade (later: Skywalker) who's arrested to work in the spice-mines on Kessel. There she can mangage to escape with the help of two of her rebel friends among with Boba Fett who I assume is always coming in handy while telling a StarWars story. But except escaping, Mara insits on sending the detailed informations about the Deathstar immediately that special Corellian Corvette and then 'leaves' herself behind to head back to her real master, the Emperor himself, who just arranged this whole operation and who wants the rebels to get hold of the Deathstar plans to later on get rid of all those rebels at once...

I can guess of a lot of things and I can handle it to build up several kinda parallel StarWars universes in my head, so I expect the people should think everyone for himself or herself what is the 'rightest' story in their own heads.
    Although I would be really pleased if there were only one way of that history. By the way I can't believe that Leia's ship recieved that utmost topsecret Battlestation plans three times (or even more, for I only know those stories described above).

What do you think?

Greetingz,
    Suburp ;->

2. Art_Core

Art_Core Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 18, 2000
    Well, Han does meet Jabba after meeting Luke and Benb if that means anything.

3. Valiento

Valiento Jedi Knight star 7

Mar 19, 2000
    "The second story is a setup by those people around Peter Mether and Warren Duxbury in The Dar Redemption.
    That is the -though professional made and amazingly arranged (I really like it!)- story of Mara Jade (later: Skywalker) who's arrested to work in the spice-mines on Kessel. There she can mangage to escape with the help of two of her rebel friends among with Boba Fett who I assume is always coming in handy while telling a StarWars story. But except escaping, Mara insits on sending the detailed informations about the Deathstar immediately that special Corellian Corvette and then 'leaves' herself behind to head back to her real master, the Emperor himself, who just arranged this whole operation and who wants the rebels to get hold of the Deathstar plans to later on get rid of all those rebels at once..."

while it's all nice and neat, that's a fanfilm and not part of official continuity.

The only official stories, are X-wings version, Han Solo Trilogy version, Dark Forces Version, ANH Radio Drama Version, and short story with Garm Bel Iblis. the official fix is rather complicated that the Plans were split into various parts, or other copies were found, or one was just brief knowledge of the plans and not the whole detailed work. The Main pieces were aquired by Bria with her group, and Kyle Katarn in Dark Forces, both being halfs to the full plans. Other stories either got it late, or were tranfered by one of the other finders through several others as seen in the different stories, before making it to the blockade runner.

My biggest advice though is don't care(don't think about it too hard, it will cause pain), just understand it fits somwhow, ;).

4. Suburp

Suburp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Well, even then the time's very short. That little Greedo appeares and has to be dealt with by Han. Than, in the period of pre-flight checkings and the time to start should the big Hutt Crimelord advance on Han to remind him of his foolness leaving HIS spice being caught by the Imps?
    That could be, but it's a very big IF. Don't think Jabba's the guy that just hops around into that little dirthole and moves away as quick as he came.

But, why not. As I tld there are several ways to see things.
    So what about those Deathstarplans?

To Valiento:
    Yes, that's the way I think. Don't care too much for it worked somehow (*g*). But it's interesting to see some more details for me like the ones you described.
    More of this & Thanx alot so long!
    That darkRedemption is for sure a Fanfilm with the help of this site, creating another story and therefore it's really cool. I love that screenplay! Gonna voulonteer for any next one (if only possible) ;-}

So long,

Greetz

5. Master-Omaj-Kadub

Master-Omaj-Kadub Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 22, 2000
    This is a interesting twist???

And I did notice that Jabba was smaller in ANH than he was in RoTJ....He was also bigger in EpI...Hmmmm???

I think I will bring that up....

6. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    "The only official stories, are X-wings version, Han Solo Trilogy version, Dark Forces Version, ANH Radio Drama Version, and short story with Garm Bel Iblis. the official fix is rather complicated that the Plans were split into various parts, or other copies were found, or one was just brief knowledge of the plans and not the whole detailed work. The Main pieces were aquired by Bria with her group, and Kyle Katarn in Dark Forces, both being halfs to the full plans. Other stories either got it late, or were tranfered by one of the other finders through several others as seen in the different stories, before making it to the blockade runner. "

The datacards in the Iblis story are not necessarily the plans. The story is quite vague as to what's on them, it just has something to do with the Death Star. They could be the location of Katarn's half, which Mon Mothma later gave to Kyle.

TC

7. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "The datacards in the Iblis story are not necessarily the plans. The story is quite vague as to what's on them, it just has something to do with the Death Star. They could be the location of Katarn's half, which Mon Mothma later gave to Kyle."

AS I said:

"or one was just brief knowledge of the plans and not the whole detailed work." ;).

8. Big_Gizz

Big_Gizz Jedi Youngling

Jun 20, 2001
    Wanna know how all those stories about the theft of the Death Star Plans fit together? Well, here it goes (everything is there except for the version of the X-Wing PC Game. Actually if someone figures out how it can fit in the whole thing, please post it). Enjoy.How Were The Death Star Plans Stolen?

This is a detail explanation of how were the Death Star Plans stolen, based of course in official material and not my speculation nor my theories. All this matter is actually well depicted in the following books:
    ·The Han Solo Trilogy: The Rebel Dawn
    ·Dark Forces: Soldier for the Empire
    ·Star Wars: The National Public Radio Dramatization (NPRD)
    ·Tales from the New Republic: Interlude at Darknell

And it's also supported by the story of Admiral Ackbar in Steve Sansweet's Star Wars Encyclopedia, and Andy Mangels' The Essential Guide to the Characters which are also important in this matter, along with some other details given in different parts of the Encyclopedia, Dan Wallace's Guide to Planets and Moons and Bill Slavicsek's Guide to the Star Wars Universe 3rd Edition.
    There are no contradictions between them (as some people think), but you have to read them all to understand the whole thing, and because of the order and structure of these stories, it gets a little rough to picture it right. So this essay intends to summarize and clarify how this important event of the Star Wars saga happens:

-According to the Guide to Characters (page 2): When the Mon Calamari Ackbar was Grand Moff Tarkin's slave, "...Tarkin was always muttering about his new superweapon that would allow him to crush the Rebellion. As the Grand Moff was en route from the Governor's palace on Eriadu to the completed Death Star, his ship was attacked by rebels. Following a firefight with Admiral Motti's Star Destroyer, the Rebels escaped with Tarkin's servant, Ackbar." The same is stated in the Encyclopedia (page 2): "It was from Tarkin that Ackbar first heard rumblings of the rebellion - as well as veiled references to a new super weapon that would crush the rebels. Ackbar was rescued during a Rebel attempt to assassinate Tarkin..." After that Ackbar joined the Rebellion and told them about the existence of this new superweapon, so the Rebels began to investigate it.

-According to the Encyclopedia, Dan Wallace's Guide to Planets and Moons and Bill Slavicsek's Guide to the Star Wars Universe: The Rebels decided to infiltrate Ralltir to found out more. They chose this planet because it was one of the Rebel Alliance's first supporters and with its strong political and economical influence in the Empire and the advantage that there were several pro-Alliance members in the High Council of Ralltir that could help them found out more about the project, it was their best starting point.

-The Han Solo Trilogy - The Rebel Dawn: Ralltir's infiltration is also stated in a dialogue between Bria Tharen and her commanding officer Pianat Torbul, before the battle of Ylesia (chapter 13, pages 315-316):
    Torbul said: "...our intelligence reports that the empire has something big underway. Really big. Something that could crush the entire Rebel Alliance in one or two engagements.", "...we're dispatching several intelligence teams to Ralltir to try and find out more..."

-Tales from the New Republic - "Interlude at Darkknell": Senator Garm Bel Iblis was preparing to give a speech at the Treitamma Political Center on Anchoron when he was called away from the center by an urgent letter from a Rebel named Aach. They had the following conversation (page 4):
    Aach: "There's been a breakthrough" ... "We've located Tarkin?s project".
    Garm: "Where is it?"
    Aach: "I don't know. All I know is that a courier will be in the Continuum Void tapcafe in the city of Xakrea on Darkknell in three days with some inisde information about it. Bail wants you to send your most trusted aide to rendezvous with him and pick up his datapack."

9. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    excellent essay, now if some one can explain in x-wing missions(imperial satelite transmissions.) how that fits in.

10. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Yes, cool essay. Hmm, the X-wing stuff is complicated. According to the game and strategy guide, at one point, *Biggs* is actually the pilot of X-wing Blue 1, that tries to get away from the Cron Drift listening station and rendevous with another ship with the DS plans. His X-wing breaks down in one of the missions. I think you have to read the mission text ( underneath the briefing map ) to get the whole story. I'm pretty sure I just saw it there a few days ago when I was playing.

11. TalonCard

TalonCard •Author: Slave Pits of Lorrd •TFN EU Staff star 5 VIP

Jan 31, 2001
    Very good! I notice that the Dark Forces novel and Rebel Dawn never contradicted each other, as some people seem to think. Could the transmissions in the X-Wing game be Kyle's half of the plans being transmitted to Topwara?

TC

12. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    For some reason, i seem to recall hearing about an earlier X-wing mission attacking a convoy, which was boarded and the plans transmitted from there to the rebel listening post. Then that info was sent to Topwara, which unfortunately, had been traced and attacked. As earlier mentioned, the plans could have been hiding in the Imp vaults there, i don't know. But then i thought Bria Tharen and her troops were dropped in on a suicide mission to Topwara, their task was to grab a comm center and transmit the plans to a courier (leia) which was followed to Tattooine.

The attack i'm referred to in the beginning could have been part of that 'first victory' attack on Despayre, which would have been the origin of the convoy. This convoy they learned of from Tion before he died. According to my theory, Ackbar was rescued in this battle, which was a diversion to let Farlander attack the convoy. I didn't know about these quotes of Ackbar giving first word on the project (i thought first word on the DS came from the Ralltir rebel).

As for Garm Bel Iblis, i seem to remember his contact had worked in communications. Given how Vader pursued Farlander/Tharen's half thru the rebel system, it would make sense that Kyle hide his half in the Imp system (after all, he was a prestigious ex-Imp) I can't imagine that contact guy being the sort to travel to Despayre, steal the plans and return to Darknell. My GUESS is that he was a worker in for a quick buck, downloading the DS info off the Imp network and giving it to a rebel contact. This is partly based on how he was so inept to not notice the plans getting 'lifted' from him. Bel Iblis got 'em back, and sent them to the Rebels.

The above is all my theorys and half-memories, so don't flame me if i'm worng at any point. Be nice :)

13. Suburp

Suburp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Hi!
    At first, Big_Gizz , I REALLY have to thank you for that great briefing. That's what I'm looking for! Thx

Some questions:
    That Dark Forces. Isn't it the game that secret agent has to fight back those super-bots, tracking them down to the facility they're built in and destroying that special ship called "The Hammer"?
    Does he get some kinda Battlestationplans anywhere in that action?

And where can I find both, ANH Radio Drama Version and those short story with Garm Bel Iblis?

Cya, Sub.

14. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "Some questions:
    That Dark Forces. Isn't it the game that secret agent has to fight back those super-bots, tracking them down to the facility they're built in and destroying that special ship called "The Hammer"?"

There called Dark troopers, and yes kyle katarn single handely took out the production sites.

"Does he get some kinda Battlestationplans anywhere in that action?"

The first mission served as a prologue to the game, and was set before ANH, he infiltrates a base and takes the plans. the rest of the game is based after ANH.

"And where can I find both, ANH Radio Drama Version and those short story with Garm Bel Iblis?"

well, ANH radio drama is sold at amazon.com and most book stores if you ask for it.

and the garm bel iblis is in one of the Adventure Journal digest mags. But can also be found in one of those anthology books, tales from the new republic, or tales from the empire, I'm not sure which.

15. Suburp

Suburp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Adding these:
    Star Wars: X-Wing PC Game
    Star Wars: Tales from the Mos Eisley Cantina

-The X-Wing PC Game
    Having replaced a bunch of imperial listening droids (probes) with those from the rebels, they're able to listen to transmissions. That's how a listening post somewhere in the Cron Drift is able to steal a message about that station, sending it immediately to Leia's Corvette.

-Knowing about a small separated group of 'outlaws' on a planet somewhere in the Rim, the local forces are performing a trap upon them. But the Imperials didn't count on the smartness of the group's women leader who manages to steal a whole capital ship being loaded there. Landing or merely crashing on Tatooine a resistance fighter can get a hold of that ship and maybe the group aswell for they possibly want to join the rebellion - but that's just being left open. That story's of a main interest 'cause that stolen ship contains a part of the devastative laser of the Death-star itself! This is another small part of the puzzle leading to the first "StarWars"-Film, Episode4. And it is also another reason why there are so many troops on Tatooine...

P.S.: Just saw that that "Dark Forces" is a book. The game don't deal with the Death-Star plans, but with those droids I already told about. The player takes the role of Katarn aswell...

Greetz,
    Sub.
    ;->

16. Valiento

Mar 19, 2000
    "P.S.: Just saw that that "Dark Forces" is a book."

Yes a trilogy, first book is a prequel up to the first mission of Dark forces, to get the death star plans. and the other 2 books are backhistory and adaptation of Jedi knight game.

"The game don't deal with the Death-Star plans, but with those droids I already told about."

Yes it does in the first mission and also the demo, he is getting the death star plans. Then it segues to several months later, and mon mothma wants to reuse him to get rid of the DarkTroopers, and the factories that make them.

"The player takes the role of Katarn aswell..."

You play as katarn, but the story is still valid.

17. Suburp

Suburp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Hi!

Thanx, Valiento.
    It now comes back to my mind... ;->

Did you see those differences in "Dark Forces" betwenn the demo and the full-version. I was really surprised to find even more secret areas in that first level after haveing the demo played years before. Finding that secret alarm button, the player really feels like in the original universe - having dozens of stormtroopers on his/her boots for a whole bunch of them arrives due to your unforunate alarming...
    and there were the battlestationplans aswell, I remeber seing that holo-image that couldn't be crushed.
    Gonna look for these Dark Forces books - they might really be interesting!

As to that X-Wing game. I don't think those transmissions are Katarn's part, maybe just anotherone, but I don't know exactly. It could be Katarn who send the plans through the Imperial Network KNOWING a rebel base could listen to them. But where should he send them too?
    In the game, the player has, doing a dozens of missions to steal a bunch of Imp probes which are worked over by Rebel technicians.
    Then, after some distrative maneuvers, a small team of the player (detroying some Imp Network probes/sattelites) and a cruiser (carrying the 'rebel' probes and replacing the dusted-ones with them) work together in a fast way for the Empire should not know of that.
    Working on in The Cron Drift against more and more curious Imp activity, finally (after the next bunch of missions) the player sees a new video where a small listening post somewhere on an asteroid in the Cron Drift receives 'a message', looking like the one that can be seen in the movies, StarWars where the rebels are briefed starting their ships against the arriving Deathstar at Yavin.
    That transmission is immediately sent to Leia's Corvette.

Well, so long.

If anyone knows sth. further, please feel right to post it here!

I'm really interested.

Regards, Suburp.

18. DaJames

DaJames Jedi Master star 4

Oct 1, 2000
    As usual, i'm about to bactrack on myself ;) Over in an Underworld discussion thread, the plans issue came up and someone came up with the idea of there being FOUR parts to the plans. I leave how these plans got to the Rebels to timeline buffs, but here is my now revised 'fix' for the four parts:

( "Interlude at Darknell" i've listed as Bel Iblis, "X-wing" as Farlander, "Dark Forces" as Katarn, and "Rebel Dawn/A New Hope" as Bria/ Leia.)

Bel Iblis, part 1 # : General info on Death Star. Approximate size, location, the superweapon function.

Farlander, part 2 # : Amount of material, shipping reports, financial details, beauracrat (sp) work. Also location of technical schematics.

Katarn, part 3 # : Structural, engineering schematics, power ratings, floor plans.

Bria/Leia's, part 4# : Military data; troop quartering, stationed fighters, defence emplacements.

Out of these four, the military data was vital to a proposed assault, which gives Leia's mission its urgency. In the end, it was the combination of Katarn's schematics (showing the power generators) and Leia's data which were the key to the battle. This is the reference to them being the two 'halves' of the 'plans'.

19. Suburp

Suburp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Yup. Cool information. But do all those plans come together to Leia's Corvette? It must've been a tricky and pinpointed timing, though...
    ;-]
    Greetz, Sub.

20. Darth Ludicrous

Darth Ludicrous Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 25, 2000
    Let's examine Interlude at Darknell. See how young the characters are, especially Hal Horn and Ysanne Isard. This story takes place years, possibly a decade before A New Hope, and details the earliest beginnings of the Rebellion. What Iblis gained here were not the "Death Star Plans" (specific blueprints) as seen in ANH, but general plans, soething akin to what Sienar showed Tarkin.

21. Suburp

Suburp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    Hmmm.
    Well, I've never read this book and they can be somewhat else's plans.
    But don't you think that such a huge battlestation needs to be planned within decades?
    So this could be the plans aswell...
    !??!

Greetz,
    Sub.

22. Suburp

Suburp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    When is that Battlestation first mentioned?
    It must take decades to biuld such a vast structure, even with the full (work)power of the whole empire...

23. Suburp

Suburp Jedi Youngling

May 21, 2001
    When is that Battlestation first mentioned?
    It must take decades to biuld such a vast structure, even with the full (work)power of the whole empire...

How long would the building have taken place? (And imagine it was kept under security the whole time).

24. Mavrick889

Mavrick889 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 27, 1999
    actually, it took 3 years to build them. The earliest point in Star Wars history we've heard about it, is in "Tales # 4: A Death Star is Born" in which Tarkin and his Maw scientists bring their Death Star proposal before Palpatine and Vader.

25. Sturm Antilles

Sturm Antilles Former Manager star 6

Jun 22, 2000
    Somehow I don't believe what the EC says there...3 years. 4 years passed between ANH and ROTJ - so why wasn't that Death Star already finished? And they even worked on it faster than the original. I always thought it was at least 5 BSW4 that DSI started to get built. Compare it to the timelines of the prototype and Maw Installation in the Jedi Academy Trilogy.

Tarkin probably presented the idea to Palpatine then, or a few years before. And we know he got his first idea of it 29 years before ANH, in Rogue Planet.

BTW - Interlude At Darknell is shortly before ANH. Yes, it is *those* DS plans. Because no one even knew the title of "Death Star" until around that time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.