main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Debo's Star Wars Memories Spectacular

Discussion in 'Community' started by Debo, Dec 12, 2001.

1. falkcj

falkcj Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2000
    great stuff, lol!

2. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    [image=http://www.bleechonline.net/images/r5anddsd.jpg]

Thanks UKS, I just blew soft drink out my nose and all over my computer.

3. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    The restoration looks like it's going to be a success, people. I've uncovered nearly all of the lost images. Pretty soon the thread will look nice and new again.

[image=http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/19/SWAREPR.JPG]

Remember that? I've never seen ANH in a theatre (I didn't see it until 1984), but this image used to be the cover for the VHS tape. Whenever I went to rent ANH, this was the image I looked for, and which always sent a thrill down my spine when I found it. I wonder why they picked Luke (Testosterone Outfit) for the cover, and why he is trying to create a supernova with his sabre, and why he is radioactive -- but then again, as a kid you just accept these things pretty quickly. Amazing, isn't it? The poster is hideously ugly, possibly the ugliest material object since 1974 wallpaper, and I, who studies the Attack of the Clones poster with a magnifying glass, couldn't care one bit.

[image=http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/34/003_EMPIRESBRP.jpg]

That's The Empire Strikes Back. This image, for me, is Christmas 1984. Best Christmas ever. Paul McCartney's We All Stand Together filled the room; I had recorded the video clip on our VCR -- the first thing I ever recorded. I watched it endlessly. We got the VCR in December (it was our first), and everything was new. I could watch ANH, ESB and ROTJ whenever I wanted, I could pause and rewind. It was pure magic! I have a vivid memory of coming into the living room, clean after having taken a bath, hair wet, pyjamas on, and seeing the ESB VHS lying on the table. The night before Christmas '84. If my current personality has its origin somewhere, it is there: that night.

I seem to remember examining this cover more closely -- obviously, there was more to see. There was a tauntaun with someone on it, there was Lando. There was Luke in a not very prominent place -- because, I knew it, this was Darth Vader's film. He drove the story forward. He's towering above everybody else. The stormtroopers are in the centre. TIE Fighters take flight. Behind Vader is another supernova, but that's one of those details I didn't notice back then. It intrigued me no end: the bad guy in a movie as the main character? Deep...

Translation was crummy, by the way. I guess they had found an old trained chimpansee who was sort of willing to do the job. In the scene where Obi-Wan Kenobi appears in front of Luke on Hoth, the old Jedi Master said: "Look....look...." Priceless.

[image=http://imagecache.allposters.com/images/34/003_RETURJEBRP.jpg]

Ah! This one hung on my bedroom wall for years. ROTJ started it all for me, and to this day it's my favourite of the trilogy. I'm the minority, I know, but I can't deny my childhood memories. When I see this poster, it triggers a thousand memories: going to toy stores with my mom, and getting to pick one, no two action figures, birthdays, Christmasses, playing and creating stories until I had to go to bed. It sounds romanticized, but it was like that. My whole childhood was like that. There's a Dutch saying that goes, One sees his past years through a golden glass, and perhaps it's true, but, distorted as my memories may be, my childhood definitely had a golden lining.

I remember every detail of the poster. Fascinating, that fat slug in the darkened corner, and the sinister stairs leading up to the Emperor. Luke -- now in the centre, demanding his rightful place again -- was radioactive, but what the hell, at least that strange gurgling Nien Nunb wasn't on it -- you can see Lando thinking, "Where'd he go?" Luke had a blue sabre, and did I complain? No! He was a Jedi, he had a lightsabre. It was OK. I never even wondered why he, as a Jedi, wore black, while Obi-Wan and Yoda had the same outfit (well, not exactly the same -- size mattered, believe me).

And I never felt uncomfortable by Han Solo pointing a blaster at me. Those were the years.

4. Katya Jade

Katya Jade Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2002
    It is not acceptable for this to be on page 4 of the boards. Not at all.

Debo, that was a rather sweet and sentimental post. :) I liked it!

I remember seeing Star Wars when I was 9 and I remember that "buff" Luke and "sexy" Leia poster. Remember it was 1977, a little cheese went a long way.

* skips off happily after reading Debo's post *

5. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    Remember it was 1977, a little cheese went a long way.

Not like that meant that there was only a little cheese.

6. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    Yes, fine. A lot of cheese. What other decade could have come up with bell bottoms and platform shoes?

7. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    The old Jedi master said, "look . . .look." [face_laugh]

8. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001
    [image=http://www.rebelscum.com/potj/POTJchewiechessloose3.jpg]

Suddenly the 200-year-old Wookiee felt a strange pain -- and... HIS HEAD WAS ABOUT TO EXPLODE! "Wooorp!"

Hi folks! Today, I'll show you how Hasbro surpassed Kenner in madness. I know, it sounds impossible, but just read for yourselves as we'll discuss...

SEVEN EXCHANGEABLE ACTION FIGURES YOUR COLLECTION CAN AND SHOULD DO WITHOUT

7. ELLORRS MADAK.

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/potj/POTJduro1sm.jpg]

Formerly known as That Blue Cantina Alien, Ellorrs Madak is, according to the title card, a "natural wanderer who is at home wherever his travels take him". What's worse, is that he is "a freelance flight instructor and an occassional smuggler" -- a smuggler! Was everyone in the Mos Eisley cantina a smuggler? It must have been Smugglers' Night when Luke and Ben arrived -- Smugglers' Night! Free Nuru Acid For All Smugglers! Tonight only!

LUKE: "Look, it's Smugglers' Night. This must be our lucky day."
    BEN: "Luke, why are you talking to yourself?"

I'm starting to believe that every damn creature on two legs in the Star Wars Galaxy is either a bounty hunter or a smuggler. I mean, come on. The Golden Rule of the EU seems to be: When a character is unidentified, it's either a bounty hunter or a smuggler. Here, just to give you an idea: Dash Rendar (smuggler), Talon Karrde (smuggler), Nien Nunb (smuggler: "He was a capable trader and pilot, with his ship the Sublight Queen being renowned in smuggler circles" -- what a classic), Lando Calrissian (smuggler), Han Solo (smuggler), Mara Jade (smuggler), Iaco Stark (smuggler), Ponda Baba (smuggler: "A pirate and smuggler, Baba was an obnoxious miscreant with a penchant for fisticuffs."), Bib Fortuna (smuggler: "Fortuna started off in the world of organized crime as a spice smuggler."), Jaxxon (smuggler: he's the green rabbit I mentioned in another entry), BoShek (smuggler), Doctor Evazan (smuggler), and so on, and so on. The Empire must have been pretty inefficient if it allowed all these smugglers to walk around freely. (Not to mention the fact that someone who's got the death sentence in twelve systems could easily visit a well-known café -- and twelve systems! How the hell does someone manage to get the death sentence in twelve systems anyway?)

And (Jango Fett) don't (Bossk) get (Zuckuss) me (Zam Wesell) started (IG-88) about (Dengar) the (Aurra Sing) bounty (Greedo) hunters (4-LOM). OK? (Zutton aka Snaggletooth)

...And when Smugglers' Night had ended, and the last customer had left, the cantina boss discovered to his horror that all lighters, beermats, candles, ashtrays and glasses had been smuggled out of the place.

6. CHEWBACCA AS BOUSHH'S BOUNTY

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2chewiechains-f_small.jpg]

Look, Hasbro. If I buy Boushh, and I buy Chewbacca, then that's all I need to recreate the ROTJ scene in which the bounty hunter offers up the Wookiee to Jabba the Hutt. I really don't need another Chewbacca. The pitiful chain around his neck I can make myself, or imagine (the forbidden I-word in Hasbro Land), but it's all a bit silly anyway if the bounty still carries his bowcaster, isn't it? It makes the toy useless. It's like making a Han Solo action figure and naming it "Han Solo As Leia's Lover", or a Luke one and naming it "Luke Skywalker As Darth Vader's Son". It's crazy.

5. DARTH VADER (FLASHBACK)

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2FBvader-f_small.jpg]

The same bloody thing. What flashback? Whose flashback? This is just Darth Vader again, for crying out loud! It could have been named anything: "Darth Vader (On His Way To Get Lunch)" or "Darth Vader (Thinking)". And it's not that this one and "Chewbacca As Boushh's Bounty" are the only examples: there's a Han Solo (Cantina) that looks just like the standard Han Solo (Nothing Special), and Han Solo (Death Star Escape), not to mention the tons of Darth Mauls who all look exactly the same but have names

9. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Debo in U2esque return to original style to please restless fanbase!

;)

And when Smugglers' Night had ended, and the last customer had left, the cantina boss discovered to his horror that all lighters, beermats, candles, ashtrays and glasses had been smuggled out of the place.

[face_laugh]

Comedy gold.

Again.

10. Jedi_April

Jedi_April Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 1, 2002
    Debo - Thanks for posting your pictures. They are awesome! :D

April :)

11. Katya Jade

Jan 19, 2002
    "You don't need this action figure. To the people wanting this figure: you don't need it. You need help."

:D

* KJ sighs *

Debo satisfies like no other. ;)

12. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    I've got the Gonk Droid Sentence in twelve systems [face_laugh]

Ah, now that's a relief. The whole thing was priceless.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Qui wearing the same outfit the Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves action figure used to wear? [face_laugh]

13. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Rogue, why bother paying people to create a new costume when you can just cut and paste a Qui-Gon figure and an outfit from another franchise?

This is classic, Debo! [face_laugh]

14. falkcj

falkcj Jedi Master star 4

Aug 24, 2000
    lol, the "I Word"

15. UK Sullustian

UK Sullustian Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 18, 1998
    If they can sell a Luke Skywalker (Millenium Falcon Shooting Gun Disguise), by adding a Headset to him, they can sell anything!

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2gsluke-f.jpg]

I remember that Plasticine stuck to the side of Luke's head, was his "Falcon headset" in my childhood.

Of course,that killed my figures, until that great invention, "Blu-Tak" came along and solved all the "trying to get red plasticine out of facial features" adventures.

Ah Memories....

//Runs off and starts flying his Emperor's Royal Guard round the house like Superman.

NOTE: Researching this post, I came across the greatest Toy ever.

[image=http://www.rebelscum.com/potf2/POTF2gsvadertie.jpg]

Darth Vader with Special Waltzer action!

Yes, you too could recreate those "Empire at the Fun-Fair" moments with this special Imperial Waltzing Device! Only the Dark Lord of the Sith himself can take the power of the 4000 rpm!

UKS

EDIT: Get the damn links right.

EDIT2: Watch it Guys, I think the 1000th post is coming and maybe Debo would like that "honour"

16. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Ah, good old, Lak Sivrak. I've got a couple of interesting stories about him myself:

When his figure first came out, I was working part time at a toy store, working my way through college. Anyways, the manager of this store bought tons of Lak Sivrak figures, and recommended that everyone buy it. His reasoning was that since Lak was replaced in the Special Editions, this made him extra special. Now, in hindsight, old Lak gets a special place in history beside Qui Gon in training gear [face_laugh]

Another intersting tidbit about Lak Sivrak: that's not his real name. No, according to a bit of EU I made up, Lak's given name was Alocious Abercromb. Lak Sivrak is actually his nickname, which came about when Lak was working as a busboy at a backwater Tatooine restaurant:

Restaurant manager: "Wow, it's busy tonight. You there, get some ice for the soda dispenser. You, with the fur, those strainers are a mess! Organize them!"

Alocious Abercromb: "But me lack sieve rack"

And that's how the name stuck. I hope we've all learned something today.

17. Darth_AYBABTU

Darth_AYBABTU Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 8, 2001

B'omarr, you must have put more thought into that than the sum total of reasoning involved in EU to date. I'd love to hear more about Alocious Abercromb's Mandalorian heritage. Also, he must surely have had a role in the Rebel Alliance obtaining the Death Star plans. Everyone else in EU did. [face_plain]

AYBABTU?

18. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Something new every day, I tell ya.

EDIT: Yes, but given his smuggler/bounty hunter background, the Alliance had trouble trusting him at first.

19. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    If someone inadvertantly posts #1000, I could be persuaded to remove the post, and defer that slot to Debo.

Of course the dilemma is do you celebrate the 1000th post, or the 1000th reply as recorded on the thread link?

20. Ben Kenobi

Mar 27, 2000
    Well, the first post is still a post, so my vote is for reply 999, post 1000.

21. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    You're one of those "Millennium doesn't start until the year 2001" guys, aren't you?

Me, I get the thrill from seeing a row of 9's flick over to a row of 0's.

;)

22. B'omarr

B'omarr Jedi Master star 6

Apr 7, 2000
    Hey, did one of you guys go over to yakface.com and ask Adam Pawlus a question about the background of cantina characters?

It seems like every cantina figure released by Hasbro is either a bounty hunter or rebel/imperial spy. It seems highly unlikely that EVERY character in that cantina has some nefarious background. Aren't any of them the local lush, frat boy or 40-year-old divorcee found in every bar?

--Bdablaing

Now that ya mention it, I don't recall any of them just being there to get loaded. That's one of the key problems with the Expanded Universe... too many backstories takes away from the fact that some of them might just be fun-loving people there for a good time. Or maybe the point was that Tatooine is a tough place.

You know, the EU written in this thread alone is way better than all the other EU stuff. Lak Sivrak had his roots making pasta, and R5 and DSD started out as the original droid rat pack.

23. Old_Brown_Shoe

Old_Brown_Shoe Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 23, 2001
    Don't be too hard on Ellorrs Madak. He's one of the greatest disco-dancers in the galaxy, what with his fabulous shiny-white suit. It's a talent he developed over the years of trying to reach for his ankle blaster.

24. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001

[face_laugh]

He's got weapons everywhere. I bet he's even got one in his nose.

"Ha...Ha...Hachoo-- ZAP!"

25. Debo

Debo Force Ghost star 6

Sep 27, 2001