main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lit Decade-in-review (so far): What novels, comics are qualified to be "classic" status?

Discussion in 'Literature' started by IG_2000, Nov 19, 2014.

1. Matt Skywalker

Matt Skywalker Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 26, 2014
    Shadows of Mindor...ftw!

2. werpudel

werpudel Jedi Master star 2

Dec 4, 2008
    - Traitor
    - Legacy Vol. I (comics)
    - KOTOR (comics)
    - ROTS novelization
    - Scoundrels

3. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    Heir to the Empire

whostheBossk, fett 4 and Grey1 like this.
  4. Grey1

Grey1 Host: 181st Imperial Discussion Group star 4 VIP

Nov 21, 2000
    You're laughing a lot more since your return, have you noticed?

Exactly this. And seeing how there might be an endless parade of spinoff movies, books and comics might permanently take the backseat. I could see the comic series becoming the modern comic book classic among comic book aficionados (but I don't think that's likely). The books, on the other hand... they have to prove that they can be important. That they can find an era to define, and to bring something about SW back that's getting lost in the new movie universe. And I'm not sure that they can - especially if there's a lot of "business as usual" regarding author names and eras. Maybe a direct tie-in to Episode 7 could be a classic since it would set the ST movie universe up for us, and do so in more detail than the movie can. But only if it's at least on the LOE level; something like TAS simply isn't classic.

Riv_Shiel likes this.
  5. fett 4

fett 4 Chosen One star 5

Jan 2, 2000

Pretty much this. While I am critical of Zahns latest out books, nothing will stop me praising him for this and for his earlier stuff. It really gave a sense of adventure and reignited the interest in Starwars (for me anyway) while introducing great new characters.
    Also while the EU got very bloated and contradictory, this trilogy not only held up well (even to this day) as a fun story but was still the least contradicted and still felt the most like Starwars

Grey1 Books will still be important, I can still see people buying the Film book as one example
    TBH the issues with the books (speaking only for myself) were the same before the whole Disney buy. 1 that there were so many, I just gave up because it was impossible to read them all.
    . 2. To be blunt many of those books were just not very good and the authors they were using cough Denning cough I did not find enjoyable and bored me.

Which is why if I see a Zahn Starwars book I will give it the time of day and buy it, while if I see a Denning book, I won't even bother to get it from the Library.

6. Jedi Ben

Jedi Ben Chosen One star 9

Jul 19, 1999
    Surely that has to be a plus! Means I wasn't stuck with Denning and co SW only!

Of course, reading everything had long not been a goal for me so that changes the picture quite a bit.

7. Chancellor Yoda

Chancellor Yoda Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 25, 2014
    Darth Plagieus and Kenobi are my favorites so far. I haven't read to much of the EU yet but plan to.

8. Ulicus

Ulicus Lapsed Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 24, 2005
    I just can't read. [face_dunno]

And I like any post that mentions Traitor in a positive way by default. I HAVE BEEN CONDITIONED, I'M SORRY.

9. ezekiel22x

ezekiel22x Chosen One star 5

Aug 9, 2002
    I've only read Cross Current and Knight Errant. Neither stuck with me in any significant manner. I guess for me this decade has been most notable in that it's when I mostly stopped keeping up with the EU.

10. Darth Zannah

Darth Zannah Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 28, 2014
    Darth Plagueis...the best next to Heir to the Empire...

whostheBossk and PCCViking like this.
  11. NightWatcher91

NightWatcher91 Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 7, 2014
    Kenobi
    legcy
    knights of the old Republic

12. Darth Dreadwar

Darth Dreadwar Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jan 26, 2010
    Darth Plagueis. I actually think that's pretty much it.

Legacy: War will be right up there as well, but only when counted as part of Legacy as a whole. Knight Errant is a personal favourite of mine, but I think it's more generally perceived as up there with Knights of the Old Republic in a sort of second tier; a classic, but not quite at the level of Tales of the Jedi.

13. DigitalMessiah

DigitalMessiah Chosen One star 6

Feb 17, 2004
    dark force rising