main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Lou, KY December 2013 Book Club pick

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Yoda_Jammies, Mar 20, 2013.

?

What to read in December, comic, stand alone, or trilogy?

Poll closed Apr 10, 2013.
  1. Crimson Empire comic

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Black Fleet Crisis Trilogy

80.0%
  3. Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance

20.0%
  1. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Okay, so this one took me a while to do. I did that little straw poll for this month's pic a while back and got all sorts of responses, so I knew I needed to narrow it down some to try to appease everyone.

A comic book. The holidays are hectic, and comics are easy to read. While Darth Vader and the Ghost Prison is a fantastic read, I went with something older, and more referenced by other works, and hopefully easier to find: Star Wars Crimson Empire 1. This explores that tale of the last remaining member of Palpy's Royal Guard and his quest for revenge shortly after the events of Dark Empire. It is collected as a trade paperback and is at half priced books, and the Great Escape. Borders has it in hardback, collected with Crimson Empire 2, 3, ( for those who like to read a lot) and some one shots for under 30$. While discussion will be on Crimson Empire 1, anything from 2 and 3 is fair game.

A trilogy (Appo likes to read). The Black Fleet Crisis is a great Star Wars spin on hard military sci-fi, and is one of my favorite SW trilogies (partially due to the inclusion of a ton of new ships and fighters). Importantly, each book is subdivided into three parts-- the main plot, and then two stand alone side plots with Luke and then Lando. Pressed for time? Just read the main plot from each book, you will not miss anything. See? I'm trying to accommodate everyone! With just the main plot, you are reading basically a book and a half-- but if you love to read then go ahead and enjoy the side adventures. The BFC is written by Micheal P. Kube-McDowell, and the paperback of the trilogy are Before the Storm, Shield of Lies, and Tyrant's Test. All three can be bought new at Borders, or cheaper at a used book store.

An Old Republic Book. Basically with this pic, I chose a TOR book that is in paperback for those of us who are cash-strapped during the holidays; and one that doesn't suck horridly as a lot of these TOR books tend to do. Star Wars: The Old Republic: Fatal Alliance is written my Sean Williams of NJO fame, and tell the tale of a mystery in Hutt Space that has the Jedi, the Sith, and the bounty hunters puzzled. Like most TOR novels, it does feature 8 characters that are meant to represent the 8 classes from the game-- but the plot, I think, is a cool mystery and not just "Grrrrr! I'm Sith!" "Hmmmmmm.. I'm Jedi!" "LET'S FIGHT TO A STANDSTILL BECAUSE IF ONE OF US WINS IT WILL RUIN THE GAME'S STORYLINE!"

So there you go! Please vote to help us round out 2013, even if you are currently not sure if you can make it. After all, you can always post your opinions here on the boards.

And I did try to make all the options fit everyone. So, if you don't like any of these pics-- I don't know what to tell you. I'm sure there is a Trek book club somewhere 8-} (Teasing, of course!)

MTFBWY
    Jammies

2. jedimika

jedimika FanForce Chapter Rep star 4

Apr 2, 2008
    Not at all familiar with the Black Fleet Crisis. Totally has slipped past me. Gonna give that my vote.

3. mindtwister_138

mindtwister_138 Jedi Master star 3

Jul 19, 2002
    LMAO!!! Trek Club indeed sir!

4. Lord_Zannah

Lord_Zannah Jedi Knight star 2

Sep 4, 2012
    Weeeeeel... I'm an Old Republic fan so I cast the first vote. :D

5. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Sweetie, if you are an Old Republic Fan you need to click the vote button. Right now, I just see three votes for black fleet trilogy.

Twisty: Glad you like my humor! For a minute I thought my LGA folks might think I was being mean. Well, I am, but just to Trekies.

6. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    LOL!! I must have clicked on it but not pressed the vote button! Ooops!! Thank you my Jammies! [face_dancing]

7. Yoda_Jammies

Jan 28, 2003
    Black Fleet it is! Happy reading! :cool:

8. Lord_Zannah

Sep 4, 2012
    Indeed, it's now on the list for our reads in 2013. "Thank You My Jammies" for a job of excellence, and all that you have done to make our book club the success that it is! [face_party]