main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Evan, IN * December 9 General Meeting *

Discussion in 'MidWest Regional Discussion' started by Darth_TKD, Dec 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darth_TKD

Darth_TKD Jedi Youngling star 3

Jan 6, 2002
    The GM we've been talking about is fast approaching, next Saturday, December 9, 4 p.m. at Comic Quest. Let's all attend and make this a good meeting! On the agenda:

-Ideas about rejuvenating the club!
    -Deciding the status of the Book and Collecting Clubs
    -Nominations of officers for 2007 (election to be held in Jan.)
    -Collecting update
    -Event ideas (I think seeing Eragon as a group would be a good idea...)?
    -Movie/dinner after the meeting?

I know I've been a bit absent of late, and for that I apologize. What can I say, sometimes Darth Real Life rares his ugly, bald-as-Adam head. With attendance so low, and me so busy, it was easy for me to put the club on the back burner. It was a mistake I'm determined not to repeat. I did a lot of soul searching as to whether I actually have time to be president. With better time management (a skill my obsessively-organized gf has been helping me with), I believe I can. So, I will seek reelection for next year. If anyone else believes they can do a better job, I encourage you to run; I firmly believe the club knows best, and I will support the club's decision. If there are any contested races, we will need to discuss the protocols for the election, as we have several members that would need to vote by proxy (Adam, Red, Lierin, etc.).

Please post any other topics for discussion here, and please post if you can attend. See you all next Saturday!

2. navarre1095

navarre1095 Jedi Master star 4

May 21, 2005
    The 9th is our 15th year wedding anniversary. I have this feeling that my wife will want me to take her out for dinner or something unreasonable like that.

3. Darth_TKD

Jan 6, 2002
    Actually, I just remembered that the 9th is my 6 mo. anniversary with my gf. I'll still be at the meeting, but that would probably preclude me from doing anything after the meeting.

4. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Stackpole_The_Hobbit Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    lol I may be there, depending ... bugger, no I won't :p I'll be working at the mall. So if any of you gentles (and I use that term loosely to not-at-all) want a calendar, come on by :p

5. Agent_Sith

Agent_Sith Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2003
    I will not be able to attend unfortunately. I gotta work until 6 pm and then I have to go to dinner at a friends house. Hopefully I'll be able to make the next meeting.

Take care and Happy Holidays all!!

P.S. See my thread on the November Book Club meeting for the status of the club :)

6. Mike-El

Mike-El Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 16, 2006
    I will be there. There is a lot to discuss about the future of our club.

7. G1Prowl

G1Prowl Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 10, 2005
    I'm going to do my best to make it.

8. WedgesOtherNephew

WedgesOtherNephew Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 6, 2002
    Do you guys sell calendars? :p

I will not be able to make it. My company Christmas party is that day and it's in Louisville.

Y'all have fun, though!

9. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    *stab stab stab* why yes! :p

10. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    I'll be there too.

11. GeekGoddess

GeekGoddess Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I still get to vote?

12. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    Yup.

That's you, Adam, and next term, Lierin :p

13. Edric-The-White

Edric-The-White Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 5, 2005
    I may have to be home Saturday. I have a painting that I need to do for someone so it can get a little dry by Christmas

Edric

14. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004
    I'll have meghan post later as to whether she can or cannot attend, but as for me I'm schedualed to play at a game that day. Actually I'm a sub for someone who is moving out that day (and who is subbing for me today) and this is our last game of the semester. The game starts at 1:30, so if we get out before 4 I'll have my ride drop me off at Comic Quest instead of bringing me back to campus (provided I can get a ride back please?)

I really do hope that we get out in time for me to attend...especially since I won't be here for about half a year. Either way, thankyou for still allowing me a vote :) . I didn't realise that I'd be getting one in England ;) .

Hope to see you there!!!

Lierin

15. Darth_TKD

Jan 6, 2002
    Yep, the way the bylaws are written, once you're an active member, so long as you still stay active on the boards and or attend meetings, you remain a member, and thus get a vote.

As for the ride, I could give you a ride back, if you need one. Also, if Meghan needs a ride to or from the meeting, I'd be glad to give her one as well.

16. Earwen_Lightrider

Earwen_Lightrider Former RSA & Spokantina CR star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 17, 2004
    I've got a question? If I become an active poster in your forum does that mean I'd get a vote? I live outside of the Evansville area which means I am unable to attend meetings, so I fit that criteria. Or is there an unwritten consideration that should be recorded.

Also, let's say I was a member, I've moved, and have now become part of another Fan Force. I'm active in the other fan force, but because I was active and I still post do I also get a say in the group even if my say won't affect me?

Just some questions about your bylaws as I know how crazy elections can sometimes get and because it is often better to have as many kinks in the system ironed out before they become an issue.

~Your slightly crazy RSA

17. Darth_TKD

Jan 6, 2002
    In order to be a member you must first attend 3 club meetings or events. Until that happens, you would not be a member. The bylaws state that to remain active, members must post on the boards and attend meetings when possible. Attending meetings is not explicitly required for cases where something changes that prevents the person from attending meetings, like a change in work schedule. We also extend that privilege to members who've moved away, because we still want them to remain as active members, so long as they still take part in the club (by posting on the boards). This privilege does remain regardless of whether they join another Fanforce, so long as they're relatively active on our board. People who can't attend the meetings where we hold elections can still vote by proxy.

I do agree that there are holes in our system, but we're a small club from a small city, so it's never been a problem. In fact, we've only once had a contested election. Plus, we more or less stole....make that borrowed our bylaws from the Indy Knights, and I don't think they've had any problems with theirs. I believe we actually made ours stricter than theirs, because I remember adding the 3 meetings rule at some point.

Thanks for the heads up, though, and we'll definitely discuss these points at our next GM this Saturday.

18. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    I'm glad it will promote further discussion. It is good to know that someone doesn't become a regular just by posting on the boards.

I'm still a bit confused about why someone who's moved away and joined another group can still vote. I understand if they are back to visit the group often why that would be important as they would still be an active part of the group. I'm not intending on singling out anyone in your group (and really hope I'm not coming across that way), but from my experience it is always better to have only those directly involved with the bote and effects of the bote involved in the voting.

For example, I was the CR in Spokane before I moved. They then had nominations for my replacement. Had it come to a vote (only one nominee negates that), I would not have voted. Not because I don't love that group or because I'm not concerned for what happens with them, but because I am now part of a different group and have my say there. It's not my place to vote there anymore as I am not there to enjoy or suffer the consequences of my vote. Although not voting for a canidate does not stop me from voicing my opinions about them. Then again, this is my point of view and I'm just adding my 2 cents. Plus I'm pretty tired and should probably be asleep right now.

19. Stackpole_The_Hobbit

Jul 31, 2002
    The thing you have to understand about Evansville is somewhere in the city's centre is a tame black hole :p

No-one who leaves can ever not return :p

20. Earwen_Lightrider

Jan 17, 2004
    *laughs*

Sounds a lot like my home town :p

21. jediravenclaw

jediravenclaw Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 29, 2004

*sigh* does that mean I'll have to give up my plans of trying to stay in England for the rest of my life? *tear*

And thank you Nathan! It's still a 50%/50% that I'll make it, but I'm hoping...

22. Fistofury

Fistofury Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 27, 2002
    I'm pretty sure Eragon doesn't open until the 15th.

23. yoda_pimp

yoda_pimp Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 18, 2002
    Drumroll please... I will be there. But, if it signals the end of the world, it is not my fault.

24. Yoda_Jammies

Yoda_Jammies Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 28, 2003
    Like I said, I'll be there! I just will be late, by maybe an hour, and afterward I will be driving back to Knoxville.

MTFBWY
    Jammies

25. JediMasterJaina

JediMasterJaina Jedi Padawan star 4

May 19, 2003
    I will be there but I'll have to bug out early. I have to work at 6:15 tonight.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.