main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

@@@@@@@December Activity@@@@@@@

Discussion in 'Archive: Salt Lake City, UT' started by Marold, Aug 14, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Marold

Marold Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 17, 2001
    Whoever would like to plan and host the event this month, please let me know.

2. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Now that the great month of December fast approaching what type of activity should be had this month?

Here's a little question for you all. What does December have that no other month has?

3. Croker_Da_Chris

Croker_Da_Chris Jedi Youngling

May 27, 2005
    Christmas trees?!?!?!?!?!

4. SovereignKnight

SovereignKnight Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 17, 2001
    From what I understand, December has some good skiing. December has Christmas too, but that's been done. That's a really hard question. My answer: 42.

5. weemansith

weemansith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    We could do the Angel Tree. It's always very rewarding and what better way to celebrate the season? We could get into small groups, each with a name, and shop away. And then we could all get together as a group, show off the goods, and have a wrapping party. Thus, we get to do something great, and spend time with one another. Just a thought.

6. ondiv

ondiv Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 18, 2002
    ooohhh....good idea!! I really like that idea! I would be game (if I am in town...seem to travel a lot lately;))

7. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Great idea Weemansith. So you do plan on taking charge of the activity then? I would suggest collecting 4 ornaments, more or less as you see fit then post on here what is on the ornaments. People can team up on something to purchase to cut costs or they can purchase the item themselves.

I don't want everyone to feel obligated in joining in on the event. I know money is tight for people but please don't feel left out if you are not able to purchase a gift. Come to the wrapping party and enjoy the company of the group.

8. SovereignKnight

Dec 17, 2001
    What's an Angel Tree?

I was gonna ask what a wrapping party meant, but it seems logical and self-explanitory.

<----- Is Christmas-retarded

9. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    An Angel tree is where local companies well get names of families in need around the holidays. Much like a Secret Santa. They place a tree in their lobby or throughout their stores and place ornaments on them with items that the person might need. Usually a pair of pants and what size or shirts and their favorite characters on them.

I know there are Angel Trees at Meier & Frank stores, not sure if they are still doing them or not but that's where they were before.

10. weemansith

weemansith Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 24, 2005
    Ok, sorry about the long time no post thing, but things have been busy. I checked out the Angel Tree stuff and I was a little disappointed. We could get the ornaments, but we have to have it all done by the 14, wich is next wednesday. Also, the presents must be unwrapped.:( I remember in high school that we had wrapping parties and all that stuff, and it was great fun. So, I dunno, what do you guys think? If we want to do it we still can, I just want a consensus from everybody.

Again, sorry for not getting on this earlier. My whole household has been ill over the past week, and then there's that whole holiday thing. Alas, I know yall are forgiving and will look past my faults. Anyhoo, let me know ASAP so I can get on it. Toodles.

Nic

11. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    If people still wish to do the Angel tree we can, but with it being a week away I think we might be a bit pressed for time.

So if no one would like to do that, what else would you all like to do this month instead?

12. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    Don't we have our sledding party in December?
    The state has received a lot of snow as of late; I'd totally be up for sledding!

13. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    That's usually in January.

December was usually a party of some sort.

14. SovereignKnight

Dec 17, 2001
    What's this about sledding?

This board doesn't get much traffic. I signed in today and haven't missed anything for like 2 months.

:D

15. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    yeah....not a lot of traffic around here...it sorta comes in waves actually. Some months it will be really busy, other months you just watch the tumble weeds blow by ;)

What we have done in the past (in January...) is go sledding at Sugar House Park; we have also built star wars "snow sculptures" and had hot chocolate afterwards. It's fun :) I like sledding!

16. SovereignKnight

Dec 17, 2001
    I like sledding... or at least I did when I was a little kid like 300 years ago. Problem was, I grew up in Ohio, so we didn't exactly have "hills" to sled down. More like "bumps" in the snow. "WHEEEEEEEEEE!" we'd say for all of 1.235235 seconds until we reached the bottom.

Good times.

If there's a sledding thing, can I come?

17. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    Of course you can come.

Hopefully we have more snow than we did last year.

18. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    weeeeeellll....since the month is now half over (almost) how about we nail a date down.
    Let's say either this Saturday the 17th, or Friday the 30th (skip the Christmas weekend). Do either of those dates work for people?
    And, lets say that we go sledding...and then have hot chocolate afterwards at the Village Inn that is in Sugarhouse.

19. Shadow_Wolf_3882

Shadow_Wolf_3882 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2004
    I would prefer the 30th, just to the 17th being this weekend, and there in'st too much snow on the ground. That is, if this works out.

20. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    Don't think that Friday, the 30th will work for me. Due to work and all.

21. ondiv

Nov 18, 2002
    I was thinking about it last night....and if the snow doesn't work out due to meltage and not enough falling from the sky...
    What if we watched "The Star Wars Holiday Special"? I've never seen it and I've always thought that you aren't a true fan unless you have sat through it at least once [face_laugh]
    Chris, would you allow us to make a not so hostile take over of your hotel room again or are you going home for the holidays?

22. Shadow_Wolf_3882

Shadow_Wolf_3882 Jedi Youngling star 1

Sep 5, 2004
    I thought Chris was gone a few weeks ago......but then, my brain has been out of it for a while.

23. Marold

Apr 17, 2001
    He said he was going to be here for a few weeks in December then gone for who knows how long. :( Sad.

24. SovereignKnight

Dec 17, 2001
    You've never seen the Holiday Special?

Yikes.

I saw it when it was broadcast on TV in 1978. I was just a little kid, but I remember even then thinking it was the most horrible thing ever. It is truly ungodly.

Does someone actually have it?

25. saberwielder76

saberwielder76 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 13, 2001
    I have a VHS copy, but it's still boxed up from when I moved, so I don't know exactly where it is.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.