main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

December Meet Discussion

Discussion in 'Archive: Providence, RI' started by Jeffbacca, Nov 22, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jeffbacca

Jeffbacca Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 14, 2002
    Time to get this going. Need to find out what we are doing and when. Specifically when to see who can be there and who can do the secret santa.

If need be on a saturday that is fine. It was suggested to do a combined meet with boston. Post here on what you think about this.

I was thinking we hang out at borders, exchange gifts and play some games. Similiar to last year.

2. starwarschick14

starwarschick14 Jedi Master star 4

Feb 19, 2002
    This is what I just posted in the Boston meet discussion thread (and basically what I PMd Jeff earlier):

I have a suggestion for the December meet. I think it would benefit all of us to do a combined meet with Rhode Squadron. Why do I suggest this?

1) Rhode Squadron is doing Secret Santa again, and adding a few more Boston folks to the mix just adds to the fun.
    2) Bigger meet turnout for both groups.
    3) Saves time during the busy holiday season, especially for college kids who will be finishing the term with exams and traveling.
    4) Saves time and money after much of both have just been spent in abundance this past weekend at the con.

One day - one meet for both groups. It's been suggested that we meet at a Borders to play some games (Epic Duels, Trivial Pursuit, etc.) and to exchange gifts. Maybe lunch or dinner too, depending on time of day. December 12th is the date (for us, per our poll), but both groups have to agree to it. The location would probably be in southern MA, I'm guessing.

What do you guys think? Yay or nay? Would you be able to go? Any alternative suggestions? The 12th isn't terribly far away so we should try to decide soon.

I asked the Boston folks what they thought, and I'm asking here too. Does this sound feasible? Considering our two groups have similar membership, I think this is a good time to simplify things and do a combined meet. Please post your thoughts. :)

3. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    I have no specific objection to a dual meet. I, personally, would perfer a non-dual meet. If anyone want specifics on my reasons, please PM me. Of course, whatever decision's you come up with a group is best. Please post your opinions and lets have an agreement by 12/4/04.

Jeff can you post possible meet dates to jump start discussion.

College students, if you post when you going home for the holidays, that would be a big help too.

Again, please post your feelings on this and what dates you can attend so that we can have a date etched in stone come the 12/5/04.

Thanks

4. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Possible meet dates:
    12/4, 12/5
    12/11
    12/18, 12/19

For me, on saturdays, the earliest would be 4-5, and I have to catch a train at 9.30 Other then that I can do any of those dates.

5. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I don't know if I can do any day but the 12th. I guess the 4th is ok, but not the 5th. I have to pass on the 11th because I just can't do another dual meet weekend. The 18th would be ok, but I'm not sure about the 19th because I may be flying home that day.

Like I just told Ed via PM - I'm very pressed for time and money in December, and I know I'm not the only one. So I thought one big holiday meet would solve that problem for some and make the meet different and more fun overall. But if you all don't agree, that's fine too. I'm just trying to be helpful.

6. MonaLeia

MonaLeia Jedi Youngling star 2

Jan 13, 2003
    If it was a dual meet, thus not in Rhode Island, there would be a slightly less chance of me being able to go as there is a lot going on in December and I would probably to hang out locally for a couple of hours but I don't know if I can travel much.

I don't know when I am leaving yet because my professors have been vague about exams. I do know that the weekend of the 4th-5th my family is coming so I would only be able to do stuff Sunday afternoon/eveningish after they left. The following weekend is right before exams so I probably could come just not for an extended period of time. I have an exam on the first day of exams and it's a BIG exam so I can't afford to skip out on studying for it.

7. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Alrighty gang, once again most have been quite quiet about the meets so if this is all that is going to be suggested...

Saturday 11th will be our meet day. We can meet up with each other at the borders in south attleboro, as we did with out gaming day meet a few months back. This will be the meet unless more feedback shows otherwise.

If the joint meet is prefered then we can make it the 12th.

If no one else has suggestions, please post here if you can make it and would like to participate in the secret santa. I need to know by this weekend so i can do the secret santa and people have time to shop. Thanks.

8. Sara Skywalker

Sara Skywalker Jedi Master star 3

Jun 16, 1999
    We are posting if we want to do the Secret Santa in this thread also?

The 11 works for me, however, South Attleboro is a little far from me, but I think I'm the only one that that pertains to so it doesn't matter that much.

9. MonaLeia

Jan 13, 2003
    Is there a reason we are going to have the meet in Mass if it's not a joint meet? I'm just curious. If it's Saturday, it should be fine for me. If it's Sunday, I will have to play it by ear.

10. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Sorry, I just can't do the 11th. I have finals the next week and two meets in one weekend like that just won't work. Which really sucks, because I want to see you guys again before I come home. But if a joint meet is for some reason out of the question, I guess I'll see you all again in January or later.

11. DarthMoby

DarthMoby Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2002
    If you perfer, Warick is an option. Thats were we had it last year. Please post your preference and remember, if you want to have it the same day with Boston, speak up. As far as I am concerned, either day is doable.

12. MonaLeia

Jan 13, 2003
    I would love to do it same day as Boston. I wouldn't want to miss out on seeing Roseanna and crew one last time before break! ;)

I don't have an exam that Monday so I suppose I'll just study extra hard on Saturday if we decide to do it Sunday. My hardest exam is on that Tuesday, icky. Of course I'd rather have it at Warwick (I know how to get there, haha) but if we do it with Boston we'll have to compromise and go up their way instead.

I am trying to be flexible, see? :D

13. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    warwick is just as far (maybe further)from providence then south attleboro (not to mention less traffic in south attleboro). doesn't matter where, its the when i'm worrying about.

14. Sara Skywalker

Jun 16, 1999
    I honeslty would prefer warwick because that is where live, but again I don't want to be an inconvenience to anyone. I don't really care when the meet is. Any weekend in December is going to be busy with finals and such, but it's doable.

15. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    It looks like the majority either want or don't mind a duel meet so it would make sense to make it one. Sunday the 12th.

I don't know how to go about suggesting or planning a meet for both groups so I'll make some PMs.

16. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    Where: Borders in South Attleboro

When: Sunday December 12th, @ 12.30-1.00 (to accomodate those arriving by train)

What: Secret Santa, Games, and More!(Hang with friends before the holiday)

Directions: Off I-95 exit 2B. Keeping going straight till you see a borders sign. We've been here a couple of times. If you need better instuctions PM me =)

Another joint meet with Boston to share the holiday spirit.

Hopefully you've posted if you were interested in secret santa or not in the thread =)

Also, if you are taking the train, I will be on that train to south attleboro so don't worry about directions. I'll drive us there.

17. Wildstar02301

Wildstar02301 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 7, 2003
    There's no meet thread on the Boston board yet, so I might as well post here. Looks like I won't be making this meet. My friend's got to many loose ends to tie b4 going to the west coast for the holidays and I don't know how motivated I am for taking 2 trains out to South Attleboro at this time of year.

If I change my mind, I'll let everyone know, of course. :D

Richie

18. Sara Skywalker

Jun 16, 1999
    How long is the meet going to last do you think? I might be late and I want to make sure I'm not going to miss the whole thing.

19. Jeffbacca

Oct 14, 2002
    as long as people want to/ can stay. At least a couple of hours i would say.

20. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    Meets always run pretty long, because we always have so much fun! :)

21. Dex1138

Dex1138 Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 1999
    Anyone going tomorrow have a copy of the SW Xmas cd? To save thread space, just PM me with your answer.
    :)

22. Sara Skywalker

Jun 16, 1999
    Okay. I will be there late, I'm guessing 3 ish, most likely not any later. I will give someone there a call if it is going to be later. I don't know if Secret Santa is happening first or later in the meet, either way...I will be there.

23. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    Dex PM has been sent.

I hope it helps.

24. starwarschick14

Feb 19, 2002
    I'm lazy, so this is essentially a repost from the Boston thread:

I want to thank everyone for coming today. Sorry if I seemed out of it. I told a couple of people this, but just so everyone knows, my great aunt passed away yesterday morning and I'm having a hard time dealing with it. With that on my mind and getting over the flu, I didn't really prepare any "business" topics for this meeting. I'm flying home a week sooner than I had planned, and I'll be occupied with family stuff all week, so I won't be on the boards much.

Even with all that on my mind, I did have fun today. I'm trying to keep myself busy instead of sitting in my room alone and crying; I'm very lucky to have such a great group of friends to hang out with.

Again, good luck to everyone with finals. And happy holidays. :)

My RS addition: Thanks Ed for bringing the shirts and for covering so much at the meeting. We have great leadership in this group. :)

25. DarthLucanas

DarthLucanas Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 22, 2003
    Roseanna sorry to hear of the news you have my condolences.

I hope everyone had a great time yesterday.
    A great round of Epic Duels again.

I didn't know there was so much hate for Padme.
    I was jinxed by her cards once she was eliminated.

The Secret Santa was fun to do again.

And a big thanks to Ed.
    He has really come through with the t-shirts for Rhode Squadron.

They look awesome!!! :D

See everyone next month

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.