December Meet

Discussion in 'Massachusetts' started by McLOVIN, Oct 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    I was just going to ask if this was still going to be a go for Sat. I have been hearing that we are supposed to get nailed worse than we did today. Today sucked I spent over 2 hrs trying to get home from Marlboro every route I took I got stuck in traffic. At one point I was parked for at least 30 minutes if not 45 right by the Canyon Cafe and Deng Du Chinese restaurant in Westboro on route 9. I took that way because 20 was backed up all the way to Marlboro from Northboro Center. I didn't even attempt 495 I saw that was a parking lot when I drove over it when leaving work.

Anyway, we are still planning on attending Stacy, Spencer, and I. Let's have some fun.

Jorge
  2. WifeofVader Jedi Knight

star 3
    Looks like the Force is strong with us and that the weekend storm is going to hold off until after midnight tomorrow night...

So, it looks like we are a go!

I am going to talk to my neighbor to ask if we can use her drive way for parking as my street is normally narrow and is even more so now that we've had yesterday's storm. I will try to post back today if we can use her driveway (she lives a few houses away but, it will be safer than parking on the street, I think).

Rpvee... got your PM. I will PM you shortly but, no problems here. The more the merrier!

EDIT!
    If anyone has any folding chairs they can bring, that would be good.... I don't have much in the way of seating.

3. WifeofVader Jedi Knight

star 3
    Ok... into internet darkness I go....

See everyone tomorrow. If you need me, call me!

CYA
  4. PinkYaddle Jedi Knight

The Padawan's delectable vanilla/almond pistachio cake is cooling on the counter. :) Tree nuts, gluten, dairy and eggs were all used. Yummy yummy!!

For what it's worth, I've heard conflicting reports of what's going to happen over the weekend.

#1) We get hammered with snow
    #2) We get heavy snow and freezing rain
    #3) The whole thing misses us

The report I had was from two Boston-based newscasters and one central Mass station, so between the three I guess it will work out.

As my friend's mom down south says: "See you Sayerday!"

Christa
  5. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    http://tinyurl.com/2ou5e2

The link is the current National Weather Service forecast for the Marlborough area, just in case anyone needs to check. :)
  6. rpvee Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    I'm really looking foward to this! :)
  7. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm holding out hope, but unfortunately it looks like I'm going to be a last-minute cancellation. My daughter was up all night with a stomach bug and is still sick. Unless my wife can leave work early, I'll have to back out.:(

I'll be crossing my fingers.
  8. rpvee Jedi Grand Master

star 3
  9. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    Hope to see ya there Mike if not I will meet up with ya soon.

Couple more hrs before we meet up. Looking forward to seeing everyone again. This will be during Spencer's bewitching hour so if he gets a lil fussy don't be surprised. lol If we bow out early that will be the reason.

10. McLOVIN Jedi Knight

star 1
    Got stuck in some of the traffic today :(

I got plenty of stuffing,sweet corn, salsa & chip, and even some Christmas cookies to bring.

Be there a little bit after 4:00 today.

11. DarthIshyZ Force Ghost

star 3
    Bravo WoV! What a great night. Your kids are wonderful, the food was great, and we all had a really fun time. Zachary had a great time with Jacob and Kayleigh. Your dog is such a fun loving dog, too. It's only the second time Zach has had a dog around to play with, so this was some good exposure. And I had a good time wrestling with them, too. Christa will post the recipe for the cake later.
  12. McLOVIN Jedi Knight

star 1
    What a fun time I had at the meet today.

Glad to see the nice turnout.

Korey what a great job you did with hosting this meet the ham was excellent =D=

All the food was tasty.

I am glad the kids all had a good time and Benny is such an awesome dog I wanted to take him home.

Thanks to everyone who came and made this a very fun time.

Mike sorry we missed you, I hope your little girl is feeling better.

Well back to sleep for me it is 5:00 a.m. and the snow is starting to fall. [face_plain]

Chris

13. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Glad to hear everyone had a great time. Thanks again for Korey for hosting the get-together.

Thanks for the best-wishes everyone. The good news is that my daughter is feeling better. The bad news is my son woke up at 6:30 this morning with the same bug.:( I guess if there's a silver lining, it's that they're getting sick the week before Christmas and not the week of.
  14. rpvee Jedi Grand Master

star 3
    Well, I hope that everyone feels better soon, Mike. :)

I had a lot of fun last night. It was great seeing familiar faces again and meeting some members who weren't at SMF. Zack's birthday celebration was really nice, Benny (the dog) was a lot of fun, and he is so sweet... it was just a fantastic evening.

I look foward to the next event, whatever it may be. But, I guess that that is up to the Force. :)
  15. PinkYaddle Jedi Knight

It was wonderful seeing everyone again and also meeting new faces! Wow what a great time we all had. :)

Here's the recipe for the pistachio cake. Yeah it takes a lot of time and hassle but OMG the taste is well worth it...

Pistachio Cake with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
    4 teaspoons baking powder
    1/2 teaspoon baking soda
    3/4 cup butter
    2 cups sugar
    1 teaspoon vanilla
    1 teaspoon almond extract
    1 cup buttermilk or sour milk**
    6 egg whites (save all yolks for frosting)
    1 2/3 cups roasted chopped pistachio nuts
    2 teaspoons finely shredded orange peel
    1 cup roasted chopped pistachio nuts

Grease and lightly flour three 8 inch round cake pans (or two 9 inch pans); set aside.
    Stir together flour, baking powder, and baking soda; set aside.
    Beat butter with electric mixer on medium to high speed for 30 seconds.
    Add sugar, vanilla, and almond extract to butter; beat until fluffy.
    Alternatively add flour mixture and sour/buttermilk, beating on low to medium speed until just combined.

If you only have one electric mixer, thoroughly wash the beaters you just used.
    Otherwise use second mixer to beat egg whites until stiff peaks form.
    Gently fold beaten egg whites into batter.
    Fold in 1 2/3 cups pistachio nuts and orange peel.
    Pour batter into prepared pans.

Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minutes or until wooden toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.
    Cool in pans on wire racks for 10 minutes.
    Remove cakes from pans and cool thoroughly on racks.
    (Note: My cakes sat in the fridge overnight and were frosted the next day, with no effect on taste.)
    Frost with White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting.
    Press the 1 cup pistachio nuts onto sides of cake and decorate top. If this is not a special occasion cake, you can put nuts on top the cake, too.
    Cover and store cake in fridge for up to 3 days.
    Let stand at room temp 30 minutes before serving.

White Chocolate Buttercream Frosting
    1/2 cup sugar
    2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
    6 egg yolks
    1 1/2 cup milk
    6 oz white chocolate (baking bar or chips)
    1 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
    1/2 teaspoon almond extract
    1 cup butter, softened

Combine sugar and flour; add egg yolks; beat until combined and set aside.
    In saucepan, heat milk until just boiling; remove from heat.
    Gradually beat hot milk into egg mixture with wire whisk. Do this slowly or you will cook the eggs. I used a small ladle, but a tablespoon at a time will work.
    Return entire mixture to saucepan. Cook over medium heat until bubbly, whisking constantly. Cook for 2 minutes more.
    Remove from heat. Add white chocolate, vanilla and almond extract.
    Let stand 1 minute; stir until smooth.
    Transfer mixture to bowl and cover bowl with plastic wrap to prevent skin from forming on top.
    Cool to room temperature.
    In mixing bowl, beat butter on medium to high until fluffy.
    Add cooled baking bar mixture, one-fourth at a time, beating on low speed after each addition until combined.

Frosts tops and sides of three 8 inch and two 9 inch layers. Note: If you make three layers, make the icing between layers thin or you will run out.

**To make sour milk, add one tablespoon white vinegar to 1 cup non-skim milk, allow to sit for 10-15 minutes at room temp.
  16. Wildstar02301 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks for posting the recipe, Christa...I'll ask my brother-in-law (the cook in the family) if he's interested in it. :)
  17. starwarschick14 Force Ghost

star 4
    Thanks again Korey for hosting and transportation! Your entire household was so friendly, and please let your daughter know that I really enjoyed talking chemistry with her. :) I wanted to take Benny home with me too...

I'm glad I got to meet some new people too...well new to me anyway, since Supermegafest was the first meet I'd been to in 2 years. I really regret that I missed out on the cake - I was so full. But I plan on trying that recipe sometime, it sounds amazing. :D

Sorry you couldn't make it Mike, but it's very true that the timing could be worse. I remember more than one Christmas in my childhood where my sister and I were sick, and that's always a particularly miserable feeling during the holidays.
  18. chewykingwookie Jedi Master

star 4
    Thanks Korey for being a great host. Your kids are awesome and did a great job as co-hosts for the event. The food was very good as well. All in all a very good time. Stacy, Spencer, and I enjoyed ourselves even though Spencer was scared of Benny at first never seen the kid cry over a loud noise before. lol I am sure he enjoyed playing with the cars even though he had no idea what they were as long as he could hold something he was happy. lol

It was definitely fun seeing everyone again. Since I missed out on Mega Fest busy weekend for me since it is the same weekend as Spencer's b-day. I definitely look forward to the next event and hopefully we can have one soon. Jan may be out for me but Feb could work and I am sure in the near future I will host one once we get fully settled into our house.

Anyway, it was a great time and I enjoyed myself can't wait for another meet.

Jorge
  19. WifeofVader Jedi Knight

star 3
    Thanks everyone for your kind words .... the ham and the rest of the food were fantastic and, Roseanna, the cookies you left went perfect with the hot cocoa after our first round of shoveling yesterday.

I am glad that everyone had a great time... I know that I did!

Mike - you were missed! I hope that your children are healthy now and that you and your wife are steering clear of it as well...

Benny passed out before Chris and Jim left and he was down for the count until about 8:30 Sunday morning! I think he enjoyed playing with you, Drew, as much as you did with him!

I was devastated when Spencer cried when Benny barked... :(

I just hope that we can keep this momentum going and get together as often as possible (I've posted in the Monthly meet thread with my thoughts).

Roseanna - can you PM me with your mailing address? Kayleigh put something together on paper for you yesterday and she wants to send it to you to "see if it will work". Sounds like you acquired an apprentice Saturday! =)

We had a wonderful time Saturday and are looking forward to seeing all of you again really soon!

xxoo
  20. WifeofVader Jedi Knight

star 3
    I posted a blog about this weekend over at SW.com.... here's the link:

http://blogs.starwars.com/wifeofvader_blog/25
  21. DarthWormie Jedi Master

star 4
    Nice little recap on your blog Korey. Now I really wish I could have been there. Stupid stomach viruses. :(
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.