main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Decipher cards?

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Padawan_John, Apr 27, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Padawan_John

Padawan_John Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 10, 2002
    I have recently, through unpleasant circumstances, come into possession of approximately 20,000 Decipher Star Wars CCG cards. I have no real use for them myself, so I wonder if there is still a market for them?

I haven't gone through all of the cards yet, but so far I've found multiples of all the main characters, I don't know exactly how many. Notably, there's about two dozen Vader cards, a few different versions. I think there's a couple dozen Capt. Han Solo cards . . . I still haven't go through them all.

But does this sound like something that someone somewhere would be interested in?

NOTE: I am not trying to sell these here, I'm just asking about the plausibility of selling them.

2. Q99213

Q99213 Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 3, 2001
    Your best bet would be to sort them out and list what you have, at least of the main characters. Maybe put them in order by the set they came from. That would make it much easier. Then go to your local comic/game store and ask if there is anyone in your are that plays and would be interested in them. If not, e-bay is a great way to offload cards. I may be interested some of the older ones once you figure out what you have.

As far as a market goes, it's really dwindled in the past year. Most of the serious players already have the cards tey need, but there are always new comers. You may be able to take one of each main character and ships and weapons and stuff and sell them as 'newbie packs' on e-bay. As for prices, go down to your local comic store and pick up Scrye magazine. I don't know if they still list SW:CCG, but if not you could e-mail them and ask them to send you their last magazine that featured SW:CCG. :)

3. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    A good idea, I suppose. The only difficult part is that I'm dealith with, like I said, about 20,000 cards.

I'll try it, though.

Any other advice, folks?

4. Restrainingbolt

Restrainingbolt Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 12, 2002
    You could try the Decipher board and check the tournament section. Perhaps there is an active gaming community in your area. If so, you might be able to get in touch with the local tournament director. He (or she) might be able to give you some good advise as to what your collection is worth. Of the 20,000 cards, many of them are commom and uncommons. Sorting out the rares could be quite a job given Decipher didn't code SWCCG cards like it does Lord of the Rings. Rares are easy to pull in those expansions. Members of that gaming community could help.

At the least Decipher has card lists which have all the cards listed. I don't envy a "newbie" trying to sort though all of those cards alone. It can be difficult at times for even those who are familar with the game.

www.decipher.com

R'Bolt

5. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    Decipher clickie

Yeah, it sounds really daunting. I have maybe 1000 cards with me now that I spent 4 days going through and alphabatizing and all of that. It wasn't too bad once I got back into my zone, but 20,000 is going to be tough. The best way to start off would be to turn the cards upside down and sort them by Light and Dark. Just throw them into big piles. Any rares shouldn't get damamged too badly. Once you do that, seperate them again by type (color) like blue for ships and vehicles, white or black for characters, etc. Once you have that down you will most likely see a butt load of red cards. Ignore those for now. Then after you take a break and realize you haven't been outside for a week, seperate them by set (Premeiere, A New Hope, Hoth, etc.) and print out the Decipher card lists and just start putting has marks by the cards you have so you can get a count, and this would be a good time to seperate them into rares, uncommons, and commons. Just rinse and repeat and you'll be good to go. You could even get some friends over to help. Have 2 or 3 people take the Dark side and 2 or 3 take the Light Side, then have each to a certain type and so on. Or, put them all into a big box and mail them to me and I'd be happy to sort them out [face_devil]

Where/how did you get so many cards, btw???

6. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    Wow - great idea on the sorting. Thanks. :)

7. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    No, they're not worth anything- give them to me instead ;;D

:D ;)

8. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    No! They're worth even less to me! I want I want! :D

I'll give you a super rare white border Vader for the lot ;)

9. Bib Fortuna Twi'lek

Bib Fortuna Twi'lek Jedi Youngling star 10

Jul 9, 1999
    Keep the cards and start up a tourney scene in your area.

10. BrenDerlin

BrenDerlin Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 20, 2001
    I'll agree with Bib. It doesn't take much to learn how to play, and with that many cards, you're bound to be able to make some good decks. Look on decipher's website, and find a tourney near you. I'm sure they'd be more than happy to tell you how to play.

11. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I've sent you a Private Message....

12. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    I got the message. I'll be trying to sort through everything during the coming weekends with a couple of friends.

I'll keep ya'll posted. ;)

13. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    When you get everything sorted, PM me with anything interesing you may have ;)

14. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    Having spent the last two days going through these cards with my friends, I can honestly say that I believe I have at least one of every single card. It may be that I only have a white-border, and not a black-border version . . . but, yes, I do believe that I have every single card here.

That being said . . . how small of lots should I split these up into? 1,000 cards each? 1,500?

Suggestions, gentle-beings? :)

15. Q99213

Nov 3, 2001
    I don't know if you could go for a number like 1,000 and such, but I would probably seperate them into sets, like one of each card or all of the rares or something like that. Then take the left over rares and maybe go with all of the same things, like a set of Lukes or Star Destroyers and such, then take what you have left over from there and seperate them into the big stacks of 1,000 and such. Also, seperate the black border from the white border as the black borders are more rare and worth more. How high does your collection go? Does it include all of the sets, or stop somewhere like the Death Star 2 or Coruscant or something like that?

EDIT: Oh yeah, also seperate all of the foils.

16. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    First thing I would try is split them up into sets -- Premiere, Dagobah, Endor, Reflections, Reflections II, etc. -- and auction them as sets.

In the auction description, just mention the "big" cards in each set -- main characters, big ships, foil cards, "alternate image" cards, etc. Don't bother listing out every common/uncommon card, because no one will care.

17. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    "Good idea, oh JCFers!"
    "Of course it's a good idea!"

Seriously - thanks, all. :)

18. Padawan_John

Mar 10, 2002
    As of this point, which is the mind-numbing sorting process, if there are any specific cards that you're looking for, PM me and I'll see what I can do to accomodate you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.