main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Deciphering Huttese

Discussion in 'Literature' started by Sauron_18, Jul 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    A while back, while I was reading "Darkness", I noticed I understood a few of the Huttese dialog being said by an Ando, because it was similar to other languages, including english, in a very remote aspect, yet it did make sense.

The Ando said:
    "Tu Creear Foodoo Poodoo?! Hu Tu!?"

I translated it to:
    "You made this poop food?! Who are you?!"

My Reasoning:
    The words "Tu" and "Creear" seem to come from the spanish "tu" (you) and "crear" (make, create). Then "hu" I took as a variation of "who" and that's how I "deciphered" that. And we know "poodoo" neans fodder, but in huttese is used as "feces".

Anyone else have something similar or other huttese phrases which they think they might've deciphered?

2. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    Yay! Let's please make Huttese into a rival language to Mando'a. lol

Anyway, Huttese, in the prequels at least, seems to have a more or less consistent construction and vocab, so I'll crack open my illustrated screenplays and get to linguistics...

3. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    Though I never updated it for the SE's, prequels or Galactic Phrase book, I was bored one summer and whipped this up, if it helps any.

4. Vengance1003

Vengance1003 Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 4, 2006
    The Galactic Phrase book is the best book out there.

5. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Actually, I've got a little personal workaround for that. A reasonable retcon would be that it means "bad food" or, translated to preserve the sense of profanity (as bad food clearly would be profane for a Hutt), "****-food". Therefore, it is a curse word, but Jabba can legitimately use it, in its actual meaning, to describe bantha fodder, which doubtless is "bad food".

6. BobaMatt

BobaMatt TFN EU Staff star 7 VIP

Aug 19, 2002
    ^^ My thinking exactly. Yay languages!

I, personally, always like the implications of the apparent cross pollination between Huttese and Basic. Obviously, it's just an easy way out for the writers OOU, but IU, it's interesting...

7. Havac

Havac Former Moderator star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 29, 2005
    Great minds think alike.;)

8. SephyCloneNo15

SephyCloneNo15 Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 9, 2005
    Reminds me of the line on Wookiepedia that states that it is believed Twi'lek is a contraction of the Basic words Twin Lekku.

9. Sauron_18

Sauron_18 Force Ghost star 5

Apr 1, 2005
    Can we figure out what he was saying to Oola right when she....exposed herself?:p

10. The_Red_Blade

The_Red_Blade Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 10, 2005
    In AotC, Anakin says to Watto

"Mi boska de Shmi Skywalker"

"Boska" seems to be a modified version of "buscar",the Spanish verb for "to look." The words "mi" and "de" both exist in Spanish, but would not be used in a direct translation of this sentence. Rather

"Yo busco a Shmi Skywalker" would be the correct Spanish (I think, anyways. "A" might have to be switched to "por").

Grammatically and phonetically, Huttese seems to behave most like Spanish. I believe its been said that Lucas does have the whole language worked up; he's just not telling anyone. (see: Abel's "Evil Never Dies" article)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.