Deck Size

Discussion in 'Games: CCG, TCG, and Boardgames' started by Red84, Apr 5, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games)

VIP
    star 4
    This interesting thought came from one of my fellow veteran Squadron Members.

"Hey everyone,

I have been playing Star Wars since the beginning along with Kyle and Kevin
    (decipher emps.) and after long consideration (meaning thinking about it
    over and over) I have come to the conclusion that 60 cards for a deck is to
    minimizing.... personally I think that the deck construction of that game
    should be changed a little...

examples:

65 card decks with the same 1 hour time limit isn't that much
    60 card deck, but starting sites, objectives and interrupts (w/effects)
    don't count as part of the 60 cards.
    15 card side deck. Something to do to change your decks in the middle of the
    tournament. You find that something's not working or you know what you need
    to make the deck better."

What do you all think?
  2. Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    5 more slots would be good for those times when you just can't make up your mind on what to cut. But 60 cards really should be enough, we don't want to confuse even more newbies with 15 cards side decks and the like.
  3. Imrahil Jedi Master

star 4
    When ever I'm agonizing over a card cut I always say to myself, "If only we could have just 5 more cards."

:)

But I doubt Decipher would change such a major thing at this point in the game (pun not intended).
  4. Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    What pun?

Actaully, I like really quick 30-card games. Just have one planet, one simple deck tyoe. It's not so involved, but it's fun.
  5. Imrahil Jedi Master

star 4
    Changing a major thing at this point in the GAME. Get it? Star Wars Card GAME?

Yeah, I see how stupid that sounds know! :D
  6. Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    ohhhhhhhh. Wow, that was so bad I didn't even notice it.
  7. Jedikynes Jedi Master

star 1
    To be honest I've had that problem on numberous occasions and I know for a fact that one of my friends has that problem ALL THE TIME(inside joke) but I do think that having the 65 card decks would be helpful but I can see the problems with that as well decipher would basically have to redo the tournament software as I am not aware if it can go over 60 for a full win. Red 84 care to answer this as I know you would know.
  8. JeffJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    I'm happy with 60 really. It forces you to make choices.
  9. Red84 SWCCG Content Mgr. (Card Games)

VIP
    star 4
    Well, my input would be that I agree with what one of my SMs said on the issue. And that was that in a sense, Decipher has been upping the deck size by creating the combo cards. Having starting cards not count towards deck size isn't a bad idea, but there is still a fairly large percentage of players that don't play with objectives or Heading for the Medical Frigate/Prepared Defenses and deck size rules like that could be unfair.
  10. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    I can get where you are coming from, it's like with transmission terminated, most people who hate vader decks take two copies and often don't end up using them both, tkaing out two spots in your deck before you even start constructing your deck. Perhaps a five card sideboard might be the answer, you can only have sixty cards in your deck but you can change five of them between each game
  11. sith_darksaber Jedi Padawan

Not having starting cards would free up some space. But personally I like the 60 card deck size. The larger the decks get, the more people would have to spend to compete on an even basis. If the deck size was larger the people with the most money are going to win almost every time.
  12. MoronDude Jedi Grand Master

star 6
    I hate having to choose between "Alternatives To Fighting" and "Hyper Escape"!!

I sit there thinking... hmmmm, I can only have one and I don't wanna be caught unaware when my opponent jumps his entire fleet to take out my meager squadren. 'ATF' will let me stop the battle for only 3 force, but then it is lost! 'HE' Will keep coming back, but I may not have enough force to move all my ships away! Why can't I have a few more cards!!

So, yes, I'd like a rule amendment that could get more cards into my deck.
  13. The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth

Manager
    star 10
    5 more cards...1 y-w squad, 2 more y-wings and one more power pivot and organized attack...[face_batting]
  14. Spud The Hutt Jedi Knight

star 1
    Wise man once say, "It is not the size of one's deck that matters, but rather how one handles his deck that is the key."

I really don't think that an increase in the deck size is all that necessary, but I would be all for having a chance to change out 5-15 cards in between games. I just hate it when I get to tournament only to find out that something in my deck just ain't right two minutes after I start playing.

Spud
  15. Teknobabel Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    So you're after a kind of sideboard then, I'd like that as well but there would have to be some limitations, or else we'd see certain cards become used a lot more often, like Transmission Terminated, Bad Feeling Have I and few others that I can't remember, maybe even Stone Pile would get a resurgence
  16. Spud The Hutt Jedi Knight

star 1
    1) Why would they necessarily become used more often?

&

2) What's wrong with that?

17. JeetKuneMaul Jedi Padawan

A few more cards would help in some ways but would also be detrimental in others. The way Decipher have brought in the Enhanced cards is a great idea allowing more characters but I hate games were no weapons appear for the first few hands. This is where I think the big 'D' should look next.

If decks were made bigger they would have to be balanced and possibly force unwanted cards into a deck I.E another Location/Starship which effectively negates the advantage of having another weapon. Badly shuffled decks that initially produce no meaningful cards are a fact of life in many games I find.

So, I think the way to go is more 'Enhanced' cards.

JKM
  18. JeffJedi Force Ghost

star 4
    Yeah it'd be harder to find some cards I need, plus the game would take longer. :D
  19. Anonymous_Jedi Jedi Master

star 4
    I would love 5 more cards!
    Good topic Josh....but Josh, you might not want to cheat.......(read my last post on our little game.)

I have played with 90 cards before, only lasted about 1:30. (He had 90 cards too.)

But I know 90 cards would be too much, newb players wouldnt want to play it too much, because of the length of the game with none developed decks.

webmaster@thejediarts.f2s.com
  20. Jedikynes Jedi Master

star 1
    I've seen some games like that Anonymous_Jedi and it can get wacky. I'd say do either one of two things. increase the amount of cards in the deck +5 or make the starting stuff not count towards the 60 cards. Before you guys go off on me I know some decks you would have mad advantage.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.