main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Decks

Discussion in 'Archive: Games: TCG' started by JediPlepel, Jun 23, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JediPlepel

JediPlepel Jedi Youngling

Jun 17, 2005
    Do the decks from teh movies have to be played with each other only? Or are they interchangeable. Is it comparable to block decks from magic, or is it play any other deck you want to regardless as long as its light and dark? ANd whatre the differences between the TCG and the CCG. I asked this on the CCG forum and got a lot of TCG bashing, just looking for more input.

2. Artie-Deco

Artie-Deco Jedi Youngling star 3

Aug 23, 2001
    I told you on the other forum to click the "TCG Board Info and Game Descriptions" link above... :)

The main differences in my opinion are two-fold: 1) SW:TCG relies on dice while the CCG uses "destiny draws" -- drawing a card from your deck. Some like the visceral thrill of rolling dice, with the equal chance of rolling all 6's or all 1's; others like the more deterministic destiny draws. 2) SW:TCG does not have the concepts of "movement" and "locations". Yes, the TCG has "Location" cards, but they are just a variation of Mission (permanent effect) cards. In the CCG, you have to plan which locations you want to control, which ones you have to concede; do you spread your forces across several locations, or do you concentrate on one or a few? Some players like the strategic depth locations add to the CCG; others dislike the non-interaction such strategies can lead to, they "prefer a straight fight to all this sneaking around". ;)

There are many, many other differences: win condition, deck building, build points vs. Force icons, "tapping", etc., etc. Comparing the CCG with the TCG is kinda like comparing Stratego to Battleship, there are more differences than similarities ... but those two above are in my opinion the ones that will determine whether you like the game or not.

Oh, and in answer to your first question, no, there are no "block decks" in SW:TCG yet. Play any Light deck against any Dark deck you want.

3. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002

1) In the TCG, you can play any cards, units, ships, vehicles, etc from any movie or expanded universe set. So Mace Windu and Luke Skywalker can fight against Darth Vader and Darth Maul if you want. You just cannot mix dark and light cards togeher in one deck.

2) There are many differences between the TCG and the CCG. Artie's answer seemed a bit bias since he presents it from a "what the TCG lacks" point of view. :) To answer what I think you are asking...

The CCG was produced by Decipher from 1995 to 2001, and although it has one of the best game mechnics out there, it is no longer made since Decipher lost the license in 2001. An "officially" sanctioned fan group still makes virtual cards which are basically revisions of older cards. Although a great strategic game, it was a bit too cumbersome for a lot of folks and it died under its own weight (as did the recent WARS TCG based on the same gameplay). The basic premise is that using only your deck wich makes up your life force, you place location cards on a table, and either battle it out with characters, verhicles and ships at those locations, or you control them and drain your opponent of cards (force drain). Like Artie said you can also move around sorta like a custome game board that is created over the course of the game. Some feel this is more akin to the SW universe feel due to the locations, battles, force draining, and moving around.

The TCG is produced by Wizards of the Coast/Hasbro, began in 2002, and is still being made. In my opinion, it is also an excellent game. When it first started it was not as strategic as the old CCG. However with recent expansions, there are now many levels of strategy, yet it is still a simple easy to learn game. One of my main arguments is that it is better than the CCG because it is much easier to learn and teach others to play, thus more players. My only complaint with it is that Hasbro does not allow WotC to support it as much as it should be supported as far as the tournament scene goes. SWTCG in my experience seems to be a game a group of friends get together to play and does not see as much tournament activity as other more popular TCGs like Magic and Yu-Gi-Oh. The TCG has seen a resurgence of activity and tournaments in recent months since Episode 3 came out and since they fixed some major rules problems (and the next set Rise of the Empire soon to come out presumably based on events after Episode 3). The basic premise of the TCG is that you battle in 3 arenas using ships, vehicles and characters. As you know dice are used to determine hits. Dice use is most controversial aspect of this game. Even with the dice there is still so much based on strategy and the "chance" of the dice has a minimal effect on the game. Some feel this is more realistic as actual battles can be like this. Also, many of the cards in a deck enhance each other in a way that re-creates battles as if they are really happening in the SW universe.

3) The hardcore CCG players are still bitter about losing the license and will bash the TCG at any oppurtunity. You have to take it with a huge grain of salt because most of the bashers have never played a real TCG game, if they have it usually has not been in recent years, and even then most have approached it with a "what can I find to hate" about it attitude.

Also, Welcome to the boards, we're here to help any way we can!

4. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Baca, my old friend! You've been gone way too long. How have you been?

I take issue with just two of your points. First, I was not biased in my answer, nor was it a "what the TCG lacks" point of view. I simply pointed out what I think are the two biggest differences between the two games: (a) dice vs. "destiny draws" and (b) locations/movement. And I offered a fair discussion of why someone might like one versus the other.

Second, I don't think the Decipher SW:CCG "died under its own weight". Remember when the license was yanked SW:CCG was still the #2 CCG behind Magic, and even Young Jedi was in the top 5. Most CCGs die of natural causes; SW:CCG was put to death prematurely. SW:TCG has yet to achieve the success and popularity that the first SW:CCG had.

Haha! Now who sounds bitter?

I don't disagree with you that hardcore SW:CCG players are bitter, but really, now you're saying SW:CCG is not "a real TCG game"? :)

5. RedneckJedi

RedneckJedi Historian, JediOKC Manager Emeritus star 2 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 20, 2002
    I think he meant it from the standpoint of "a real SW:TCG game" since the discussion is within the context of Star Wars card games. CCG = SWCCG, TCG = SWTCG, IMO. :D

6. Artie-Deco

Aug 23, 2001
    Ah! Yes, my mistake. Thanks!

7. Bacabachaui

Bacabachaui Manager Emeritus star 4 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 24, 2002
    Yes, I meant the SWTCG not just any TCG game :p

And I just thought you were a little biased, but I may have just focused on the POV that it lacked movement like the CCG.

As for the "died under it's own weight", I am basing that statement off of the fact that when it went (even though #2), more and more people were dropping it and not much fresh blood was joining. Most everyone I know hated the game after Tatooine expansion and (ugh) podracing. I think had the license run it's course, it would have just appealed to a smaller and smaller group unless they came out with the 2nd edition like Lucas licensing would not allow them to. The revamped WARS TCG was awesome. I wish that was SWCCG!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.