main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Deep Into a Darkness Peering - ROTS AU, Updated 12/19 COMPLETE!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by VaderLVR64, Jun 28, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Title: Deep Into a Darkness Peering
    Author: VaderLVR64
    Characters: Anakin, Padme
    Genre: AU, takes a sharp left turn about halfway through ROTS
    Timeframe: ROTS and beyond
    Summary: Anakin?s betrayal will have consequences that he could not anticipate.
    Notes: This is a result of watching the scene in Palpatine?s office when Anakin asks, ?What have I done?? I wondered what might have happened if he had truly grasped the consequences of his actions at that point and not more than twenty years later. Traumatic events can utterly transform a person, especially if they can appreciate the lesson that almost always accompanies such experiences. What might have happened if Anakin had had such an epiphany? Basically, this is a "What if?"

I must credit the wonderful Edgar Allen Poe for this title and thank Gina for helping me with the final selection.

Gina was kind enough to do this lovely cover for me and I want to share.

[image=http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v466/VadersLover/Darknesscopy.jpg]

I must also express my immense gratitude to Alethia for beta reading this and to Gina who took a look at the initial idea and declared it do-able! :D

Chapter 1: Empty and Forsaken

?What have I done??

His own voice sounded strange to him. The strength left him and he fell back, his lightsaber slipping from his hand.

Anakin stared out at the lights of Coruscant with disbelief. The wind howled through the broken window, chilling him. What had he done? He closed his eyes and tried to block out everything that had happened in this office.

But the dying scream of a Jedi Master still echoed in his mind, mocking all the hopes he had once had for himself as a Jedi. Everything he had ever dreamed of being had vanished in the instant that he had turned his weapon on a fellow Jedi.

From a distance, he heard Palpatine?s hissing whisper calling to him. Shocked, he realized that the Chancellor was praising him for his crime. With eyes that seemed newly opened and painfully raw, he looked at the man he had considered a friend, a mentor.

And all around the hideous figure a chilling darkness swirled and waited.

In the Force, Palpatine was nothing more than a cold void. Anakin knew that in this office his fate would be decided. He called his saber to him without thought. It seemed suddenly right in his hand, warm and comforting. The Force nudged him gently, telling him that he would make the right decision.

Fulfill your destiny, the Force whispered to him, a disconcerting echo of Palpatine?s words.

But the tender voice that spoke to him did not chill him as did the tones of the Chancellor. No, in the Force he found warmth and even forgiveness. It seemed that he could find mercy even now, even after what he had just done. In Palpatine?s eyes there was no mercy, they promised nothing but cold ambition. And power- he would have power. But at what price?

If he joined Palpatine, he would lose Padme as surely as if she died. Worse, she would hate him and he would have to exist knowing that he had lost her through his own actions. She would despise what he had become and he would be alone ? again. But there would be no love waiting to catch him if he fell this time.

That he could not bear. He looked into the void and felt that an expectant hush had fallen over the Force itself. It seemed the whole galaxy waited for one young man to make his decision. The hungry darkness was a gaping maw ready to consume him. But the Light shone gently around the dark core that was Palpatine, a nimbus of hope.

In that expectant stillness, Anakin truly heard the voice of the Force. It was not an instinctual reaction to an unfolding battle, or the insight that had served him so well in his confrontations with the enemy. For the first time he heard the will of the Force communicated to him as clearly as any of Obi-Wan?s lectures.

But there was a purity to it, a breath-taking clarity in what he heard. And in that perfect state of attentiveness he could discern exac

2. Sara_Kenobi

Sara_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 7

Sep 21, 2000
    Hey, this is really great. I'm interested to see Obi-Wan's reaction to what Anakin has done. I thought Padme wouldn't turn him away. Great story. :D

3. Alethia

Alethia Jedi Master star 5

Feb 13, 2005
    You posted! Wonderful and fast...

I loved it. Wonderful idea, wonderfully written and so glad to see it up.

Um, let's see. The way the Force guides Anakin in this chapter is, well I find it interesting *grins*. He finally listens to it, not a moment too late, I might add, and because of that, wants to give everything up. Hmm...

I also liked Padme's reaction. Poor Padme- to have worry about that on top of everything else- perhaps it really is a good thing that they are going away...at least they will finally have their chance at peace.

4. Layren

Layren Jedi Master star 5

Oct 28, 2003
    Oh wow Kimberley! I don't usually read A/P but you have captured my attention as always ;) Great job!

5. Jazz_Skywalker

Jazz_Skywalker Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 3, 2002
    Yay! A new VaderLVR64 story!

I'm glad Padme just couldn't let him leave alone, no matter what he did. I can't wait to see Obi-Wan's reaction to all of this!

Now you've got me eagerly awaiting next Tuesday!

Uppies!

jazz

6. DarthIshtar

DarthIshtar Chosen One star 10

Mar 26, 2001
    Wow, I like the twist. I like the guilt, Padme's very believable horror...

7. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Oh wowzers! [face_dancing] All right!! You killed the old fart! [face_dancing] Bloody dog deserved all he got specially after what he did... :mad:

I am glad that Padme forgave him there at the end [face_love] And talked him into staying with her. For the child (well munchkins) need to know who's their daddy. Sooo plus I think if he does stay with them it will help him recover from the psychological mayhem he juz went thru. WOW what a trauma... help kill a Jedi Master, a Councilor no less and then the Chancellor of the Republic who was also his friend and mentor above it all.

Poor guy :( gotta feel for him.

A pity Ep III didn't turn out like this! ;)

Awesome work m'Lady! You're juz proving yaself once more at how wonderful a writer you are :D

8. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    So this is the story I've been hearing you vent about! :p

Okay, it might be worth it. [face_batting]

9. sdhfs

sdhfs Jedi Master star 4

May 22, 2004

nice story

10. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Oooh. I can't wait! This looks veeery promising! :D

11. Dally

Dally Jedi Master star 4

Apr 2, 2001
    Wow, I like it. Very believable. I'm looking forward to more!

12. Jedi_Liz

Jedi_Liz Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 24, 2000
    looks VERRRRRRRRY interesting

its on Active topic notification list now so I can try to keep up.

13. InLoveWithLordVader

InLoveWithLordVader Jedi Youngling star 1

Jun 2, 2005
    Wow! This is a an excellent premise. Please PM me when you update. This looks like it is going to be really good.:)

14. ThePariah

ThePariah Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 24, 2003
    Only VaderLVR could get me instantly addicted to a ROTS fic and make me relieved it's not a one-shot. :p

15. DarthPolymerase

DarthPolymerase Jedi Youngling star 1

May 22, 2005
    Amazing! I can't wait for more! :D

16. LadyZ

LadyZ Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jun 16, 2000
    Great idea! And you are such a fantastic author!!! :D I guess I'd join the show - I'll read! :D

17. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    Very interesting! :D

I will be anxious to see what Obi-Wan's reaction will be. And where will they end up?

18. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    Ooh, great start, VaderLVR. I really like the concept for this AU. Padmé's reaction was perfectly in character and understandable. Looking forward to more. :D

19. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    I am intrigued...

Very good so far. I've always had a hard time with Anakin never seeing the consequences of his actions and this deals with that issue perfectly. It gives him a bit more humanity...

Lovely and sublime! :)

_PSK_

20. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    Sara_Kenobi Couldn't see her abandoning him, we'll just have to see what happens next! ;)

Alethia And thank you for all of your hard work! I know I've been a pain! :D

Layren Not read A/P? :eek: Well now, I don't know if we can be friends anymore! [face_batting]

Jazz_Skywalker I'm glad you like it! I'll be looking forward to Tuesdays just as much as you! Maybe even more. Yes, definitely more!

DarthIshtar Thank you! I hope you like the rest of it!

Kynstar Yeah, I've got no use for Palps and so he's outta here! [face_devil]

VadersMistress Vent, complain, moan, you get the picture...

sdhfs Thanks!

rhonderoo Aw, thanks. [face_blush]

Dally Thank you, I really wanted it to be believable. Let's hope I can keep it that way. :)

Jedi_Liz Thanks! I hope you like the rest.

InLoveWithLordVader You can expect an update every Tuesday unless I'm out of town or on my death bed. Or I get kidnapped by a Sith Lord or something. But I'll be happy to PM you, too. :D

ThePariah Wow, nothing like a little pressure! [face_laugh]

DarthPolymerase Thanks! I hope you find the coming posts enjoyable as well.

LadyZ I'm flattered and welcome!

AnakinsHeir Only the Force knows. Oh, and my beta and maybe my daughter if she's really listened to a word I've said. Na, she doesn't know...

Knight_Aragorn Thank you. I struggle with Padme's character and even more so after seeing ROTS. So that makes me feel better!

PadmeSolo So I wasn't the only one who wanted to smack him upside the head and tell him to pay attention? :D

21. BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon

BrokenNoseOfQui-Gon Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 15, 2004
    In that expectant stillness, Anakin truly heard the voice of the Force. It was not an instinctual reaction to an unfolding battle, or the insight that had served him so well in his confrontations with the enemy. For the first time he heard the will of the Force communicated to him as clearly as any of Obi-Wan?s lectures.

But there was a purity to it, a breath-taking clarity in what he heard. And in that perfect state of attentiveness he could discern exactly what he was supposed to do.

Read this earlier and then had to get off the computer (the boss really shouldn't walk around like that!) :p

Very glad that Anakin whacked old Palpatine and now it will be interesting to see what happens since Anakin has come to his senses a few decades earlier! :D

22. Koori

Koori Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 3, 2004
    And VL has another new story. How do you write so much? Seriously, please share your secret with the rest of us!

Wonderful beginning. I am slightly worried about what is going to happen when Obi-Wan discovers that they've run off.

23. Arcalian

Arcalian Jedi Youngling star 3

Mar 13, 2005
    :eek: [face_hypnotized]

Wow. Just....wow.

24. LukesTheMan

LukesTheMan Jedi Youngling star 3

Apr 30, 2004
    What an original idea! I can't wait to see what you do with it, and I know it will be interesting and full of twists. =D=

25. Aelan_Greenleaf

Aelan_Greenleaf Jedi Youngling star 1

May 20, 2005
    Oh, I'm very much liking this! Great start! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.