main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Deep Sky (Qui-Gon, Dooku, others. Complete 1/11/06, re-edited June 2006)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by sabarte, Dec 20, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    Epilogue: Legacy
    Qui-Gon

They never did talk about it until long afterwards. After all was said and done, Dooku directed Qui-Gon immediately to a bacta tank, murmuring something about possible lung damage. The burn on his leg faded to a faint scar over the days it took them to return to Coruscant. When Qui-Gon emerged, the threat of a Talk spurred him into mildly terrified obedience for a few days before he realized Dooku was not going to bring any of it up, and if Qui-Gon wanted to talk about it he would have to raise the issue himself. His Master's written report to the Council was...pure Dooku. It was terse, to the point, entirely truthful, and it left all the important stuff out.

The package was delivered to their door months later. The youngling making the delivery was very curious - Padawans, as a rule, did not get mail. Dooku had to come and approve before the child would even give it to Qui-Gon.

It was quite heavy. Qui-Gon frowned, looking over the the address as he walked back into their common area. He tabbed to the 'from' field and blinked when he saw a Serenni rune. "Can you read this for me, Master?"

Dooku put a hand on Qui-Gon's shoulder. He leaned down, and his fingernail traced the name-rune thoughtfully. "Vicereine Anare."

"Oh." Qui-Gon's voice was small.

"Are you going to open it?" Dooku asked. His voice was even, but the hand on Qui-Gon's shoulder tightened its grip.

"Do I have to?"

Dooku laughed softly. Qui-Gon thumbed the entry pad on the label, signifying acceptance of the package. It flipped open, and Qui-Gon sucked in his breath.

Inside was a timed light, a nutrient gel, and growing in an expanding, perfect spiral, a woody vine bearing tiny perfect yellow roselets. The familiar scent wafted out, swiftly filling the room. "Oh." he said softly.

"Isn't that something..." Dooku said. "I wonder what she means by it?"

Qui-Gon frowned a little."I don't know. It's beautiful, but..." He touched it, then closed the box. "It's almost like it's not real. It's something she made, and it seems less valuable because of that. It isn't nature creating it, isn't the will of the Force that gave it form and beauty, but the laboratory I walked through. She could make a thousand more exactly like it. Somewhere there's a database with all the genes, and how she tested them - a lab notebook, maybe. The failures disposed of. She could write a paper on it, if she wanted to. It's so deliberate. There's no spontaneous joy about it's existence. No mystery."

"Are you talking about the flower or your Master?" Dooku asked lightly. Qui-Gon winced as he mentally reviewed his last few sentences. Whoops.

"I didn't mean..."

"I know you didn't." Dooku said. He sighed and left the room.

Qui-Gon waited a minute and flipped the box open, examining the rose plant once more. He had no doubt it was designed specifically for him. He'd told her about his garden, after all. Dooku had refused to allow him to take the other plants he collected off-planet, as they were government property. Perhaps he could find a place for it. It was an extraordinary creation.

He glanced guiltily at the door.

A place of honor, even.

(end)

2. Kynstar

Kynstar Jedi Knight star 5

Mar 2, 2004
    Poor Qui...lil slip of words and wording there, but he didn't mean it.

Loved the roselet! Though coming from that woman, one has to wonder...

Great tale! =D= Loved it! :D Awesome job on the Count to be! [face_love]

Thanks so much for sharing it with us! [:D]

3. ardavenport

ardavenport Jedi Grand Master star 4

Dec 16, 2004
    His Master's written report to the Council was...pure Dooku. It was terse, to the point, entirely truthful, and it left all the important stuff out.

"Are you talking about the flower or your Master?" Dooku asked lightly. Qui-Gon winced as he mentally reviewed his last few sentences. Whoops.

Aaaaaah, very nice little ending. Qui-Gon can be so truth-ful and Dooku...less so. What a convoluted Jedi Dooku is in this. A very enjoyable read.

4. sabarte

sabarte Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 8, 2005
    This has been revised slightly in content, and edited to remove errors as of June.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.