main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Defender of the Faith (Songfic Challenge)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by karebear214, Dec 21, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. karebear214

karebear214 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Sep 7, 2002
    A response to the Songfic Challenge

Song:
    When All Around Has Fallen by Delirious

When all around has fallen
    Your castle has been burned

All alone, he sobbed. It wasn't like him, but something so trivial as a reputation couldn't matter now. In the waste of the desert, no one would see him. No one would hear him cry. In the midday sun his tears evaporated, leaving no trace.

His throat burned with the effort of breathing the dry air. He'd forgotten how much he'd hated this place. He'd never wanted to come here, yet he had followed with only half-hearted protest, little more than a decade ago, blind to the ways that unexpected detour would send him hurtling down a path that would eventually rip his world apart. Unable to see it, unable to change it. He had trusted Qui-Gon, his Master, the closest thing to a father he had ever had. If Qui-Gon said it was okay, surely it would all work out.

He'd stayed hidden in the Queen's ship for those few days, and when Qui-Gon returned it was with the boy trailing him, like a shadow. Small, yet friendly and intelligent. Certainly not threatening in any way. Except that with his arrival, all around had fallen.

Qui-Gon's death was first, and then came the role he was obligated to take, just as certainly as he wasn't yet ready to do so.

Anakin's shadow grew darker, yet Obi-Wan was still blinded by his trust. Qui-Gon had believed in the boy.

Never given the time to let go of their bond, he had clung to it, used it as a shield against his own uncertainty and that of the Council.

Now that shield lay in pieces, destroyed just as completely as the Jedi Temple and the Order itself.

You used to be a king here
    Now no one knows your name

How fitting, then, that he should be destroyed as well. The guilt pulsed in his veins with every heartbeat. My fault. My fault. My fault. It would take more courage than he could find to face the galaxy knowing that. And so he hid, once again, in this Force-forsaken desert.

There were all sorts of rational reasons for sequestering himself, just as many for choosing this planet above all others. None of them came close to the truth.

It was why, just as Vader had ceased to be Anakin, Ben had ceased to be Obi-Wan. The past was truly gone.

You live your life for honor
    Defender of the faith

Their time together had been wrought with difficulties and conflict. He had tried his best to guide Anakin, but every day brought more uncertainty. Anakin questioned codes of living that Obi-Wan had always known as right - how could he explain things like honor and equality to someone who had never been allowed to experience them? By the time he knew beyond a shadow of a doubt that the Council had been right all along, that a ten year old slave could not become a Jedi, he already loved the boy like a son. It was an attatchment he had formed despite fighting it every step of the way.

It was his downfall.

But you?ve been crushed to pieces
    And no one knows your pain

That loss alone was more than any man should have to bear. But it was not the end.

He'd helped bring Anakin's two children into a galaxy ravaged by war, become close to their mother through that trial, closer than he would have wanted. It was not unexpected, of course. They'd known Anakin better than anyone else possibly could, and they drew nearer to one another in an effort to fill the void his absence produced in their lives.

The secret of the true identity of Palpatine's monstrous shadow weighed heavy on them, but they refused to share it, by some unspoken pact.

And when the twins were only weeks old, they said goodbye for what they knew must be the last time. He had kissed her gently, not sure of her destination, nor she his. Sure of only the promise that her children would be safe. That he would watch over the boy as though he were his own, if from a distance.

It was all he could do for the cl

2. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    What a wonderful interpretation of this song! That has been the most fun, to see all the different and wonderful ways one song can be seen. Lovely!

Ben was afraid that the spark of Qui-Gon's faith that had once lived in him had been crushed too completely to resurface. But he found, as he placed Anakin's lightsaber in his son's waiting grip that perhaps the Jedi might still live.

The ending was perfect!

3. SarkaVrae

SarkaVrae Jedi Master star 5

Jun 3, 2004
    what a wonderful response to the challenge! :D
    i think you did an excellent job with Obi Wan! And the ending was so heart-stopping wonderful--loved how you brought him back to Qui Gon's faith in him--something I think he must've doubted for the rest of his life.

great job! =D=

4. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Hold on while I get some tissues.

Ben was afraid that the spark of Qui-Gon's faith that had once lived in him had been crushed too completely to resurface. But he found, as he placed Anakin's lightsaber in his son's waiting grip that perhaps the Jedi might still live.

Wow! I can't believe you've never written Obi-Wan before, that was amazing. Really, great job. :D Perfect entry to the challenge. :D

5. AnakinsHeir

AnakinsHeir Jedi Youngling star 3

May 2, 2004
    A great songfic! You did a fantastic job with Obi-Wan, I'm shocked that you haven't written him before! Perhaps you have found a new niche! :D

6. CodyMonKenobi

CodyMonKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jan 29, 2001
    Wow, great songfic KB. I absolutly loved the ending, and how you meshed together Ben's life from TPM to ANH. absolutly wonderful.

7. VadersMistress

VadersMistress Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 7, 2004
    Upping for you. This deserves to be at the top. :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.