main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Before - Legends Defenders of Denon (Ch. 3 Added 5/27)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by DigitalGekko, May 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DigitalGekko

DigitalGekko Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2005
    Hi, first off, I've had this idea of mine floating around for a long time, about an adventure type story which takes place on a populated planet. I got this idea after I bought the Episode II visual dictionary, which mentions Denon in the Zam Wessel section. For whatever reason, I wanted to write about an event on this planet ever since. I don't read the EU, but I did do some searching on what limited info is available for this planet.

I write sci-fi/adventure stories during my spare time. I've already written two small novels weighing in at 60 and 80 pages standard word program, and I'm well into an original sci-fi story with a goal length of 200 pages (I'm on 140 or so as of now). I wrote a Star Wars fic a long time ago, but it wasn't too worthy. Now I'd like to try again, either alongside my current novel, or after it's completion.

So, this basically a Jedi-free story (for the time being), and quite original and different than what you've been reading. It's an all original cast with little to no ties to the events in the film. I write by making a quick draft of each chapter, and then go back and fix grammar, so this hasn't really been proof read, or edited yet. The final version could change quite a bit...

So here's what I have so far. The first chapter doesn't really focus on Blue Nova itself, but rather, what's going on. I wanted to open with a bang. The events that happen are in a very different time, with different types of ships. One imporant political note : I have made Denon independent, and not completely under Republic control, though they adopt many of the Republic's ideals.

Prologue :
    It is a time of Civil War on the city covered planet, Denon, two-hundred years before the Battle of Yavin. A large band of revolutionists, secretly and slowly influencing large city sectors, has finally struck, demanding change to Denon's society.

For two years this war has plagued the planet, causing massive destruction to it's towering skyline. The Denon government is trying to hold out, as they'd prefer that the Republic not intervene and and take direct control of the planet them self.

Time is running short, however. The leader of the rebellion must be captured as soon as possible. To assist in whatever ways they can, a small mercenary group under the name of Blue Nova has been paid by the government to assist in the efforts.

The matter is desperate. A transmission recently encoded lists a plot to take the very capital hostage, and the military must act quickly to eliminate this threat...

One - The Broken Jewel

As the morning dawned and the sunlight swept across the northern regions of the vast cityscape, the frost and icicles clinging to each building sparkled brightly like a spreading ocean. Each building a different size and shape, like the sea swells of Kamino or Calamari.

It was winter for Denon's poles, the temperature was much lower than it was throughout the rest of the year, but never so low as to freeze everything solid. Northern Denonians enjoy the months of light snow fall, and continued about their busy lives like everyone else on the planet.

The polar areas were home to some of the shorter buildings of the planet, which nevertheless were very dense and compacted. Like it's bigger sister, Coruscant, the planet never slept as swarms of vehicles perpetually circled around the buildings in tight, uniformed grids.

Only a few towering structures were noteworthy in the north pole area, one of them being Dendustrial Tower, a massive behemoth of a building with cooling towers on all sides. The tower was centuries old, and was well known throughout the galaxy for it's capital ship and space weaponry facilities.

Despite the tower's size, it was dwarfed in comparison to the snow covered mountain behind it, Mt. Allore, home of the tallest peak on the planet, and one of the few natural landmarks not covered by the urban superstructure. One half of the mountain was enveloped by a dark shadow as the sun rose, breaking through the smoggy clouds, and starting

2. Deyla_Heren

Deyla_Heren Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2005
    Good start Gekko!

3. DigitalGekko

May 22, 2005
    Thanks, I'll to write another chapter today.

4. DigitalGekko

May 22, 2005
    A 'get to know' your characters chapter. I'm thinking that this story will be about 10 chapters long, and should end up eh... around 45-50 pages standard word program. I'll try to finish this before I go on vacation, but I'd have to write every day, so no promises, heh.

Ah, by the way, Rodian's speak Huttese right?

_____
    Two - Home Base

Rict and his crew pulled into their secretive homestead, situated in the old industrial center of the central city, where the capitol tower resided. Disguised as a pile of scrap metal, a large, bulky door slid downwards, allowing access to the dark hangar inside. Rict's members were the first to enter, and after a few glimpses of the surrounding buildings brightly illuminated in the daylight, he swooped in himself, the large doors closing shut behind him.

He cooled off his engines and landed softly inside the cramped, dimly lit hangar. Rict slid his cockpit window back and quickly climbed out, being sure to neaten his combat suit.

Nappy, the wide-eyed Rodian junior technician, came into the hangar to greet the team, holding the holo-panel tablet that he always possessed wherever he went.

"Back from another successful mission?" he squeaked.

"My secondary engine conked out a few times," Jett replied without taking his eyes off his ship, "See what you can do about it,"

"Wi-will do sir," Nappy stuttered in his native dialect.

"Any news while were gone?" Beij asked.

"The grand admiral... He wants to have a meeting with you... Said to reply as soon as possible,"

Rict looked at Beij curiously. The only other time when they were ever called like this is when they were hired years ago. Nemid, now just exiting his craft after rechecking his systems like he always did, landed with a soft plop. He straightened his feathered arms and stood straight.

"Well?" He asked.

"Admiral Orrol wants to speak with us," Jett replied, his voice lacking any enthusiasm, "Probably just wants to yell at us for screwing up his war,"

"Jett..." Beij sighed.

"Hey, sorry, but you know I don't like those government types,"

"We will see what they need, Jett," Rict replied.

"Well, let's get it over with," he replied.

Beij and Jett left the hangar and headed towards the communication room.

"I'm running out of time, old friend," Rict told Nemid, "I might have to leave the group soon,"

"You realize that the bounty hunter you speak of may not even exist," he replied thoughtfully.

"That'd be nice for me, wouldn't it?" Rict enamored.

Once everyone was gathered inside the tiny, windowless communications room, Rict got in touch with the Admiral, who's holographic figure appeared instantly on the round table.

"Ah, Rict Prior and company. I've been meaning to talk with you,"

"What is it?" Rict asked.

"We need your team to report to the capitol at once. We believe that we have come up with a way to end this war,"

"Well, that's great, but what do we have to do with it?"

"We need you four to run a surveillance operation beforehand,"

Rict paused to look at the expressions on his team's faces. He could tell already that this wasn't going to excite anyone.

"Sir, we... We don't really do that sort of thing. We're fighters that show up when needed, we're not trained spies,"

"I realize the fact, but this is a mission best suited for your crew,"

"Fine, fine... We'll leave in a few hours,"

The Admiral nodded, and his hologram vanished.

"This is getting out of control, Rict," Jett complained, "They think they can just tell us to whatever they want. And I'm beginning to doubt that they're even going to pay us in full. We've only received a quarter's payment as of now,"

"Calm down, Jett. We'll at least show some respect and talk with him."

"Well..." Nemid sighed, "I'll fix a quick lunch with Nappy, then,"

"Fix something edible," Jett chuckled.

"Jett, go refuel the ships," Rict ordered.

Jett nodded, wrapped a towel around his neck, and headed toward the hangar. Biej left for her room, leaving Rict alo

5. Deyla_Heren

Deyla_Heren Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 11, 2005
    Again another good chapter, your writing is interesting to read. Continue! :)

6. DigitalGekko

May 22, 2005
    Small update...

My goal is to chapter five complete before I leave for vacation. After that, I'll finish the other five chapters. I leave Monday, so three more chapters will be posted between now and then.

7. DigitalGekko

May 22, 2005
    The old SP-89 transport made it's way towards the lumbering capitol, flying elegantly through the high winds, traffic, and skyscrapers that dotted the city. After clearing the industrial sector, only a short distance remained to travel.

Inside the cramped confines, originally built for carrying cargo, Jett checked over his blaster and self-invented sheer-grenades.

"You know you can't bring those in, why'd you bother bringing them?" Rict asked.

"Maybe I just like to have them with me wherever I go. Never know when a... situation will arise,"

"We're making our approach," Nemid reported from the cockpit.

Rict used the window to watch as they slowed, lowered, and entered one of the many hangars located on the tower's base, darkening the insides of the small craft.

The soft landing prompted Jett to slide open the door and jump out. Rict and Beij followed, and after system checking, Nemid joined them. The group left the hangar and headed towards the lobby.

"Please deposit any weaponry you have on you and proceed through the material scanner gate," a stern, colorfully dressed guard asked.

Jett dropped his blaster and grenades into a bin, while the others gave a gesture showing that they were all clean. The guard nodded and deposited the bin in the back room. The group proceeded through the scanners, and then the elegantly crafted double doors and into the massive, four floor tall lobby area, showing off the epitome of Denon artistic creation. The lobby was an elegant mixture of white, light blue, and indigo colors. Statuettes of famous Denon leaders and some Jedi were lined up throughout the balcony Rict's team had entered upon, along with paintings and decorated lights.

In the center of the lobby, about two floors above the open center, was a hanging pillar with four large panels flashing the latest news bulletins. Below, crowds gathered and lined up around the center statue, a full scale model of the founder of the tower.

"Rict Prior, the admiral has been expecting you,"

Rict turned to his left to see a Neimoidian, wearing elegant garbs only members of the Denon royal government adorned, his skin almost matching the pale green's of Beij. Though his species were known to be greedy and cowardly, Rict never judged based on one's birth stature.

"Please, follow me, I insist," he added, blinking his large, beady eyes.

Blue Nova followed the greenish creature to a large elevator. Their guide inserted a keycard into the elevator's panel, opening the doors.

Upon entering, they gained speed quickly and soared upwards. Before long, the elevator was no longer inside and instead ran along the outer tower, providing a beautiful view of the cityscape through it's glass walls. Rict noticed as the color of the sky slowly changed from oranges and violets to a healthier blue as they reached the top floor of the tower.

"Look," Beij noticed, "We're above the lower clouds... It's so nice up here,"

"The pollution doesn't have as big of an effect at this altitude," Nemid explained.

The elevator crawled to a stop, and looking outside, it was easily noticeable that no other building compared in size. Air traffic was scarce, the air was cleaner, and the temperature had dropped considerably. It was almost like a different planet. Like the polar regions of Denon, ice crystals had formed on all of the windows, adding to the altitude effect.

Outside of the elevator waited four guard droids, fearsome looking machines offset by the delicately painted patterns on their armor. They were well armored, and about as tall as small Beij. They used both of their metallic hands to carry a powerful rifle, and also wore black capes on their backs. The droids turned to the guide when he exited the elevator, and signaled to them to stay put.

The hall they entered had more hanging paintings, a blue carpet, and clean, white walls. Numerous security devices hanging on the ceiling kept track of the group. The Neimoidian, slowly walking backwards to a pair of doors at the back of the hall, spoke to

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.