Defenders of the A&P Love Story Reloaded (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthBreezy, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Hey, if they *had* in fact had "Jedi Trial" actually, physically on the premises - even albeit in the back room, to be sure - I would *absolutely* have been cajoling, entreating, begging, demanding, and in general wheedling and doing absolutely *anything*, including but not limited to everything, to get my hands on it....and I would not have left until they'd given it to me, either. :) I would not yield, relent, nor....well, you get the picture, I'm sure. *chuckles wryly*

Suffice it to say, the only way they'd ever punt me off the premises would've been with "Jedi Trial" safely in hand....fortunately now they know that I *am* in fact just gonna keep right on pestering them, checking in daily, in the meantime....until it *does* finally come in....and if they'd like to keep their customers satisfied and happy, then methinks it would very well behoove them to get "Jedi Trial" in *much* sooner rather than later. Unless, you know....they want to see me vexed....terribly vexed.... :D

Oh, man, let me see...."Jedi Trial" sometime this week for *sure*, it has to be....and then this big whack o' "Jedi Quest" books that I know I'll be snatching up post-haste....hoo boy....*what* a week, and it's barely even Monday yet! :D Curling up someplace nice and warm, with all this wonderful, glorious ficage....and preferably even with a nice hot chocolate well in hand....*mmmmmm*....why, how lovely, really. ;)

Dawn.

Dawn.
  2. qingauk Jedi Master

star 4
    Dawn, try Amazon. It is a good price there. I ordered mine from them.

3. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, actually, the odds are looking pretty good that I may be ordering it online, via Chapters - or chapters.indigo.ca, to be precise - since my mom and I checked out their site yesterday, and even though we don't have the online discount card, we do still have her regular membership card, and the (in this case) 5% discount that comes with it, 10% in-store discount otherwise, so, you know....score. :D And the online price surely does seem a decent bit cheaper....and she's ordered stuff from 'em before, and says that they're great about shipping it in right quick; three to nine or so days is what they estimate on the website, but it's actually closer to three....again, *score*. ;)

So, yeah....most likely I'll know what it is I'm doing within the next few days, tops; gonna keep nosing around the bookstores here, see if by some miraculous happenstance they *do* in fact end up having a deal, in-store, that's just as good as Chapters' online one....though I erally do doubt it, to be sure. Still....nothing precludes me from looking around, that's for sure....and in this particular instance, well - not at *all* gonna be stopped or balked here.... :) *bouncing up and down* Can't wait, *really* can't wait....last time I was like this was, oh, I think it was for OOTP....honestly, the lengths we go to, for what we love most. :D

Dawn.
  4. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    My Books-A-Million has "Jedi Trial" listed on its upcoming releases sign. It says the book will be out tomorrow, so I might go check it out. I don't do EU, but for Anakin I'd be willing to make an exception. I'm very intruiged by his story during the Clone Wars, and to my knowledge there hasn't been much in the way of literature focusing on him during that time (other than some comics, I guess). I also can't wait for that "Labyrinth of Evil," which is the lead-in to RotS.

I did flip through the junior novelizations of ANH, ESB and RotJ last night. I really appreciated that in RotJ Padmé was credited as the deciding factor for Anakin to save Luke. Also, if anyone is curious, in ANH as Vader's ship is flying over Tatooine, he thinks for a moment about how he can't believe that he grew up there and that his mother took her last breath there, then he went on to conclude that he couldn't believe how little the planet or its inhabitants meant to him now. Sad stuff.
  5. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    OMG! I found Jedi Trial at my B&N today!!! A day early! [face_dancing]

I'm on page 132 and haven't put it down until now. :D You guys will.love.this.book.
  6. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    I also can't wait for that "Labyrinth of Evil," which is the lead-in to RotS.

Oh YES!! :D That one should be way good!! And what is the one that bridges all the romances including Padme and Anakin? For some reason the title is stuck somewhere in the corner of my brain :oops: ...? Anyway, sooooooooooooooooooooo gunna read that!!

Also, if anyone is curious, in ANH as Vader's ship is flying over Tatooine, he thinks for a moment about how he can't believe that he grew up there and that his mother took her last breath there, then he went on to conclude that he couldn't believe how little the planet or its inhabitants meant to him now. Sad stuff.

:_| Thanks for that stacysatrip ! So sad...

Glad you are reading it rhonderoo ! You'll have to let us know once you are done how much you like it...without really giving anything away, of course :p

-AnakinsLuv
  7. AnakinsLuv Force Ghost

star 3
    oh yeah...one more...

I think will respond more to A/P once the full tragedy of their relationship hits. Usually love stories are more poignant to people when it ends very badly. Then they look back on the "flowery, mushy" parts of the romance with more fondness.

Yes, I agree waheennay . I think that after we all see ROTS EVERY part of the entire saga will take on deeper, richer, more poignant meaning :) . I mean, we think that we can have in depth conversations about the saga now, just you wait... ;)

-AnakinsLuv
  8. DarthBreezy Chosen One

star 6

ATTENTION Defender authors!!

We are in need of a "Thread Librarian"!

Someone who can post a list of any ongoing Defender fics with updated links say, once a week? PLJ Has a list of ficcys from the past that I'd like to see posted while our home is still young, then we need someone to post a weekly update of CURRENT works!

Drop me a PM if you're interested!!

[face_love]
  9. openmind Jedi Master

star 4
    I think that after we all see ROTS EVERY part of the entire saga will take on deeper, richer, more poignant meaning

Well I think it helps if one is a romantic at heart. ;) Yes, Im one of them :D
  10. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    I just finished Jedi Trial in one sitting. First time ever with a SW book. My review from the lit forum...

The main characters were wonderfully characterized. I loved the secondary characters, also. I felt that they jumped off the page. They were vibrant, funny and endearing. I love Grudo, and Slayke is also cool. Even Pors Tonith is a different villian, and having him as a banking clan member that isn't sniveling or one of the many Dark Jedi?...is very refreshing.

**Spoilers**
    There are interesting ironies in the book like Anakin's devotion to the Rodian soldier, and the matronly hostage. Especially considering that he later serves an alienless Empire. The relationship with him and Neeja also, as Neeja reminded me very much of Qui-Gon. Qui-Gon even makes an "appearance" alá AOTC.

And for once, thanks to all that is holy...wonderful, sane, down-to-earth characterization of the Clone Wars HERO that Obi-Wan spoke of and Luke saw beneath the armour. The war has wizened him and made him more mature. He and Obi-Wan share some nice words at the beginning. What little, tiny dark-side forshadowing there was didn't come off as bratty, evil, or even cliché. It was done very well. These writers got Anakin Skywalker better than anything I've ever read. And I've read a lot.

And let me just say...romantics will love it with a few of the characters. There were a few references to Padmé, also referred to as "my wife", "his wife", etc. Anakin is a husband in this book.

I was very skeptical about the battles and ground skirmishes (being a girl and all [face_batting]), but they SUCK YOU IN. It is very gritty and realistic in some places, but very well-written. You can tell these guys know their stuff. I've never teared up during a SW book and this one did it to me several times. The realistic feeling of Anakin and Neeja writing their wives a letter before the battle and leaving their personal things with the captain to return to them if they died... The book also deals with the Clones and their mortality/humanity very well. I got vaklempt at one of the M*A*S*H-like scenes dealing with clones. Great stuff.

:D

11. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Per Breezy's suggestion, here is the last Defenders story list that I created. Lord knows this is wayyyy out of date, so much so that I know people have come and gone, and we've got new authors who need to be added to the list. In fact, it looks like I haven't updated it since December! :eek:

If anyone's interested in this project - let me know and I can email this to you so you don't have to spend hours working the codes from scratch.

[face_love] Anakin/Padme Defenders Writers Fanfic Links [face_love]
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~

Anakin_Girl

The Obi-Wan Diaries Part : The Mission
    Humor PT/AU
    The Anakin Skywalker Diaries from Obi-Wans POV
    In Progress: updated 12/27

A Tatooine Holiday
    Winter 2003 Holiday Fanfic Challenge entry
    This takes place in an AU in which Anakin never turns to the Dark Side and Shmi Skywalker lives. Anakin and Padme have returned to Tatooine to spend Life Day with the Lars family.
    Completed

Anidan

What if?
    Story parameters: Action/Adventure
    Main Characters: Danny Skywalker, Princess Padme Amidala Skywalker, Darth Vader, Princess Leia Organa, Prince Luke Organa, Han Solo, Lando Calrissin, and Helen
    Other Characters: Obi-wan Kenobi, Yoda, Palpaitne, C-3PO, Ruwee, Jobal, Bail Organa, Mace Windu
    Summary: Princess Padme Amidala Skywalker was to be Queen of the Naboo on tell Palpaitne became the Emperor of the galaxy. Now to keep her son Danny Skywalker safe she will hide him where no one can find him.
    In Progress: Last updated 7/20

Arriss

Love Letter
    ROTJ
    DV writes to his deceased wife about Luke (before he knows of Leia).
    Vignette

A Snowy Christmas
    Anakin/Padme AU w/ 5 year old twins
    Vignette
    Complete

DarthBreezy

Knights and Eros Bound
    Between eps 2 & 3
    Anakin/Padme/ o/cs
    A bit of Ani/Padme Fun.

In progress: Updated 12/30

Darth_Lex

Title: The Skywalker Prophecy ? Episode V: Hope and Darkness
    Author: Darth_Lex
    Timeframe: OT era AU
    Characters: The Skywalkers (Anakin, Padmé, Luke, Leia, & 2 OCs), Han Solo, Mara Jade, and more
    Genre: Action, Drama, Romance
    Keywords: AU
    Notes: Sequel to The Skywalker Prophecy ? Episode IV: A Destiny Renewed
    Summary: Two generations of heroes must confront the rising darkness of a reborn Sith menace ? and in themselves ? as Jedi Master Anakin Skywalker and his family strive to fulfill the prophecy of the Chosen One. An AU version of ESB.

Title: Chandrilla Surprise
    Timeframe: post-NJO (two years after TUF)
    Winter 2003 Holiday Fanfic Challenge Entry
    Characters: The Solos, the Skywalkers, and the Fels
    Genre: Drama, Humor
    Notes: three-part short story for Winter Holiday Fan Fiction Contest
    Keywords: NJO, J/J
    Summary: Two years after the peace with the Yuuzhan Vong, the Solo twins arrive at Chandrilla for a holiday family gathering. Each bears a secret ? will they be revealed?
    Completed

Darth_Tim

Story Title: Episode II: Duel of the Fates
    Main Characters: Anakin, Padme, Obi-Wan, Palpatine, OC's
    Story parameters: PT, Ep
  12. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    Been a long time sense I have seen one of those updates. I remember when I first came to this thread. I'm already on my 3rd year here.

Some things have changed but it's in some ways the thread that I came to the frist time around. To think it all started in the AOTC forum.
  13. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    I'm gonna try to pick up "Jedi Trial" today. Sounds intriguing! I haven't read a lot of EU (well, any), but my understanding is that Anakin's usually written as a petulant brat. I'm glad that's not the case this time around.
  14. anidanami124 Force Ghost

star 6
    You know I was just thinking for the past few days about movies that I have seen sense 1999. There have been a lot of good ones that I have seen and liked.

In 1999 it was:
    Star Wars: Episode I - The Phantom Menace
    The Martix
    Austin Powers: The Spy Who Shagged Me

Then you skip over 2000 and 2001

In 2002 it was
    Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring on DVD
    Star Wars: Episode II - Attack of the Clones
    Lord of the Ring: The Two Towers
    The Ring

In 2003 it was
    Lord of the Rings: The Return of the Ring
    Pirates of the Caribbean: The Curse of the Black Pearl

In 2004 it was
    Miracle

That is about it I mean other then getting the OT on DVD and Lord of the Ring: The Reutrn of the Ring EE on DVD there was not much else I like this year movie wise. Next year ROTS will come out but I don't really know what to look forward to afre that. I mean other then the DVD. It's like I want ROTS to come out but then I don't because once it ends that's it there is not much else movie wise I would want to see.

15. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Well, there's also the "Firefly"-based movie, "Serenity", coming out next April....I seem to recall it's around the 20th, 21st - to be sure, it's rather relatively close to ROTS, but then, the demand for "Serenity" as well really is quite high - especially given the huge, devoted following that the show has garnered, despite even FOX's underhanded campaign to subert and then bury the show almost before it had even started....Joss Whedon still won out, in the end, and now "Serenity" looks to be a real hit - just a little somethin' somethin' to help whet the appetite before May 19th, 2005....just that much more to help tide us over in the meantime, I reckon. And won't we just take anything that we can get? :D

Dawn.
  16. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    Dawn

I just watched all of FF on DVD and am sooo excited to hear that the film is coming out in April [face_dancing] I think the film will do fine, and the good news is that people who can't get into RotS can go see it to get their sci-fi fix.

I hate Fox for killing their sci-fi programming after only 1 or 2 seasons :mad: Shows like "FireFly" and "Dark Angel" were fantastic, but sci-fi is weird and those series often take a few years to really devlope a devoted following. Unfortunately, networks are ruled by their advertisers and if they don't see the ratings that they want- they cut the expensive series loose.

This is why I'm seriously hoping GL goes to a cable channel w/ his SW series and not a regular network. ABC utterly destroyed "The Young Indiana Jones Chronicles" by jumping it all over their schedule so no one could find it. Cable channels really don't care about their ratings that much, and they tend to allow the show producers to do whatever they want with their series. I only hope that GL goes that route instead of regular networks.
  17. MissPadme Jedi Master

star 4
    I agree, if they do a SW t.v. show, don't put it on network t.v. and certainly not on ABC!

Anyway, I picked up Jedi Trial today and while I've only had time to flip through parts of it, it looks very promising, a book for Anakin fans and one that will make A/P shippers happy (I'm going to put a quote from the book in my sig line). I read on Galactic Hunter.com that the two authors were once in the military, so that might explain the realism of the battle scenes.

BTW, there's a new feature at starwars.com about the makeup supervisor on ROTS, who had the pleasure of working with Hayden as well as Natalie, Ewan, and some other cast members. It's open to all, so Hyperspace isn't necessary. There's funny stuff about lip gloss and how the ladies on the set weren't picky about how Anakin looked ;).

Here's the link.

--MissPadme
  18. IamZam Jedi Master

star 4
    **walks in and smells the fresh paint and new carpet.. nice new digs.... sets out the table with a large pitcher of blue milk and a big plate of brownies...

Gee I go away for a bit and you all change addresses on me...

On the otherhand, it sounds like I need to get myself to B&N ASAP!!

As to Hayden, as soon as he was announced for AOTC, I ran to the nearest rerun of Higher Ground just to check out the new guy on the block, and from the get go I was definately impressed, which is very odd for me as I am normally attracted to older men, not younger men. Yet something in his eyes and his demeaner seemed to echo something of an older soul..
  19. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    Well, I'm disappointed. I browsed thru 3 bookstores today, but no "Jedi Trial." I'm sure it will be in in a few days. Or I might drive over to Borders, although it's further from my house (about a 30 minute drive).
  20. DarkPadme Jedi Knight

I shoplifted my copy of Jedi Trial today. Yes, the love letter was very sweet but what the authors neglected to tell you was that Ani signed it in his own blood. We're such a wacky couple, just like Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton.

--DarkPadme
  21. rhonderoo Former Head Admin

star 9
    You are so bad, Sithly Padme. :p
  22. PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost

star 6
    I have to wait a week to buy it...oh well. I'm in the middle of another book anyways, I don't mind waiting :)
  23. stacysatrip Jedi Master

star 4
    DarkPadme, you two are just freaks! Do you have sex in limousines, like Angelina and Billy Bob too? (And then announce it to the world?) :p

There's a new, non-hyperspace article up at the OS about the makeup artist. She talks about creating the looks for Anakin, Padmé and Obi-Wan in RotS. She said that she tried to keep Padmé's makeup more natural this time, first because her costumes and hair are so ornate, and second because she wanted that natural, "healthy" glow of a pregnant woman to come out.

My mom used to tell me that I "glow" during pregnancy. It's not glowing. It's most likely sweat from being so damn hot all the time, LOL. Oh well; you might not feel beautiful or particularly "glowy" at the time, but I guess to other people you look it. It's funny how when you are pregnant people just look at you differently. You can tell when they are fighting the urge to reach out and touch your belly. (Which would have been a BIG mistake). I don't know what is so fascinating to people about pregnant women, but sometimes you feel like an alien or something.
  24. Qui-Dawn Jedi Grand Master

star 5
    Argh and blast....still no sign of "Jedi Trial" at Chapters here locally - though of course that's not gonna stop me from dropping by there for the third time this week, and today I'll actually demand that they check in the back room to see if they've even had it shipped in....hrmph. :) However, what I'm erally at a loss to explain or understand is - why do the Chapters locations back east, like in Toronto, for instance - already have it? They do, I've just checked the website....but it's impossible to discern from that alone whether it's even been shipped here yet. Of course, if these guys don't want me to keep pestering them everlastingly, hounding and haranguing them ad infinitum - they'd darn well better have it shipped already, even if it's still stuck in the back room in the meantime. And if that's the case....I am so *not* leaving without a copy....simple as that. Honestly, that's how I'm feeling right about now.... :D

Dawn.
  25. jedi-ES Jedi Master

star 4
    AnakinsLuv

Though for Aragorn, his character doesn't need to have a sensual aspect to his character, he is also the archetype King and though not sensual in the dark sense, he is sensual because he IS the archetype male. And every woman I know who's seen LOTR says that he comes off very sensual. :D

One can still be dark and mysterious without being sensual, IMO.

Possibly, though not too often (as in the case above). ;)

I don't know too many actors that aren't,... except for Hayden... he seems like a pretty level-headed guy (yet he can pull off sensual like no other!).

But to answer your question, I think that it just depends on the role and the particular actor in that role. And most of us only really "know" what an actor is like in "real" life from what we read and see in interviews...and that's not all reality either

I think some actors are sensual, just like some actresses are. But I think that's a relatively small number. There aren't many that can come across that way often and well, IMO. But I do agree with you that it does depend on the role as how an actor comes off.

But I have always been a believer that someone who is truly sensual or sexy can't possibly hold that back -- it just comes out. It takes a lot for someone who isn't sensual or sexy to come across that way, but they usually can't maintain it for that long. It's really comes down to some people have got it, but most don't.

I got a chance to read through "Jedi Trial" at B&N yesterday (though chose not to buy it -- poorness reasons. LOL)

It was a good book and a nice change of pace from the usual PT books out there. The other primary Jedi in the novel, Halcyon, is very much like Qui-Gon almost to the point where you wish Halycon was Anakin's master instead of Obi-Wan, though Halcyon has some very nice things to say about Obi-Wan and his abilities.

I think they did well with Anakin's characterization as well. As one mentioned earlier, he doesn't come off bratty or immature at all. He seems very much in control and ready to become a full Jedi and take on the responsibilties that entails. And it sets things up nicely with his character in regards to what's going to happen in ROTS. Though I'm sure this book won't cause much fuss over on the 3SA boards, this book does highlight some problems with MANY of their theories over there...which gives me more than a slight smile.

The spots in the novel, which aren't many, which deal with Anakin's character development are well done and all suggest that he is becoming more powerful, more Jedi-like and once again, clears up where Anakin's duties lay -- and they are essential 3 things -- his commitment to the Jedi, his commitment to Padme, and his commitment to defend what is right and just (unfortunately, by any means necessary.) Lastly, at a key point in the end when he could indulge his darker emotions (which were initiated to avenge someone's death, not because of some ridiculous need for power), he pulls back and doesn't do it. It does indicate that he is controlling his emotions more, which is another sign about ROTS. ;)

All here will like it and gives us more momentum for ROTS next May.

And MissPadme, you're right -- the authors both served in the armed services before (probably chosen because of the plot of the book and the centrality of the battles in it).
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.