main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Defenders of the A&P Love Story Reloaded (Part 3)

Discussion in 'Star Wars Community' started by DarthBreezy, Oct 20, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SithArriss

SithArriss Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    geo3 mentioned on a Hayden list that the cape looked to her like wings, making Anakin look even more like a fallen angel.

Oh, I can definitely see that too, MissPadme.

There?s some kind of face, I?m not sure who exactly, on the upper right of Vader?s helmet?

I wonder how much ? if at all ? this will change. I know from reading on hyperspace that it sounds like it may not, but GL may makes last minute adjustments. *shrug* It?s a very cool poster though.

2. BauconBatista

BauconBatista Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 24, 2004
    Okay, change of heart: I love the poster. I love how it mirrors the early prototype of Vader seen in the Alan Dean Foster novelization of the first Star Wars.

3. waheennay

waheennay Jedi Padawan star 4

Sep 29, 2000
    The new webdoc's nice. I loved hearing how Obi-Wan at the end of the next movie refers him and Anakin being "like brothers" and also seeing more of that scene with him and Padme talking in the apartment. There's also a nice couple of new shots of Natalie in the ripped battle suit from different angles that are great!

4. PadmeLeiaJaina

PadmeLeiaJaina Force Ghost star 6

May 23, 2002
    Is anyone else planning on going to see The Incredibles just to see the trailer?

5. AnakinsLuv

AnakinsLuv Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2004
    Okay...

I have an announcement to make!!!

My family and I now have a new addition to our family!!
    We bought a dog through ARF today. He's a 1 year old Dockson mix....so cute!!! He's all black, so guess what we named him?

VADER!!!

Actually, I named him. :) How could I pass that one up?

Thought you all would appreciate that! :D

(now I'm wondering how many other black dogs ya'll have that are named either that or Darth [face_laugh] )

-AnakinsLuv

6. DarkPadme

DarkPadme Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2004
    Congratulations on your new addition, AnakinsLuv! You chose a great name for the pup. Hopefully you will be able to train him in all of the important Sith arts. Heh heh heh.

PLJ. I plan on sneaking into the theater and sneaking out once the trailer is over. DarkPadme doesn't ever pay to go to the movies.

Yes I saw the webdoc. Obi-Wan, such a goody two-shoes. Like I'd ever give the guy the time of day!

--DarkPadme

7. Qui-Dawn

Qui-Dawn Jedi Knight star 5

Jul 8, 2000
    Yaaaaaaaaaaaay! My mom ordered the book for me today, and it (along with another book she's getting for my dad, ssshhh, don't tell him) should be here in a week's time or less....and I am, of course, entirely over-the-moon overjoyed and absolutely buzzing with enthusisasm and sheer anticipation over that one. :) *So* can't wait, honestly....what a joy "Jedi Trial" is gonna be, I already know it....and if my experience with the way I reacted when OOTP came out last June was any indication - then I know that I'll be fairly dancing home, and eagerly clutching "Jedi Trial" close to my chest like it's a beloved, precious child. :) I just, you know....I *do* get that way. No, really, I do. ;) Yippee! *does happy dance all around the room*

Oh, and AnakinsLuv, congrats on the cute new puppy, for sure....you are, I think, the first person I've ever known with a Vader-dog....and that is just *so* incredibly adorable, I hardly know where to begin. :) Are we gonna see pics of the little darling at some point?

....you know....it does give whole new meaning to the question "Do you wanna pet Vader?" ;) Tee hee!

Dawn.

8. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

I got my copy of "Jedi Trial" at Borders the other day. I've gotten through about 4 chapters, but I haven't been able to get a few quiet, uninterrupted hours to really sit down and read it. I'll probably re-start it and read it through. From what I've read I like it, especially the as yet calmer, more mature Anakin.

9. mal-et-mysterieux

mal-et-mysterieux Jedi Youngling

Oct 28, 2004
    Congrats, AnakinsLuv!

My dog just had her operation and is now sporting a bright blue bandage/cast. Right now we have to sling-walk her (holding her back legs up with a sheet while she walks with her front legs) when she needs to go outside, but in 4 weeks we'll be able to let her walk around in the kitchen/family room, and in 10 weeks she'll be able to go down the deck stairs to the back yard.

I had my friend tape the first episode of Long Way Round, I absolutely adooooreeddd it!!!

"Hey, Stewart, did you know Ewan McGregors going around on a bike like this"

"It's like christmas!"

"Why must we work our arse so hard"

and when he started to sing when he was working on his motorcycle....My heart melted....*sigh* he has the most wonderful voice!

10. RebelScum77

RebelScum77 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 3, 2003
    I loved that Obi-Wan webdoc! They are taking so much care in bridging the trilogies.. it's awesome. I loved how Obi-Wan has passed on the "Jedi mullet" to Anakin. [face_laugh] And of course I noticed this... but when Hayden was standing around in a t-shirt, his arms looked so built (for him at any rate ;)). It will be great to see him more physically powerful, as well as mentally.

Just bought "Jedi Trial" because I was having a really bad yesterday. Read the first couple of chapters... whoa.. sensible, calm Anakin. :p

11. mal-et-mysterieux

Oct 28, 2004
    Oh man the mullet bit!

"Top man!"

I loved when ewan was laying on the set in that provocative pose! that man is so funny!

12. rhonderoo

rhonderoo Former Head Admin star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 7, 2002
    Okay, I didn't see him in the t-shirt. Which part owas it on?

Oh, and good webdoc. Yummy Ewan and I love the "adjusting the tunic" bit. :D

I told you that you guys would like "Jedi Trial". ;)

13. DarkPadme

DarkPadme Jedi Youngling

Oct 23, 2004
    Happy Samhain!

Hayden is seen in a tight t-shirt right after Ewan talks about the Jedi mullet. How could you miss it :eek:? Personally, I love the long locks on him but I really dug the discarded mohawk. He looked soooo eeeville in that one! Like he belongs in a Mad Max movie or something.

I wrote a sweet romantic fan fic for Halloween in MissPadme's vignette thread I'm sure you'll all enjoy. The link is in her signature. She also wrote one for the Padmé monthly fan fic challenge, but it's a good girl story. Bah! You don't need to see that!

--DarkPadme

14. mal-et-mysterieux

Oct 28, 2004
    Dark Padme, you and I will DEFINITELY get along.

I LOVED hayden in the mohawk...and the mohawk/ponytail thing, delish!

Muahahahahaha!!!

15. SithArriss

SithArriss Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 27, 2003
    Happy Samhain and have a great Halloween everyone!!!

Off to take my little Sith out for some ghoulish fun!

16. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    oh yes! Amazon emailed me and my Jedi Trial is in the mail along with the Ed Wood special edition! Now I have to get my grades done so I can settle down to some good A&P mushiness. There is some in this book, right?

17. AnakinsLuv

AnakinsLuv Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 2, 2004
    ....it does give whole new meaning to the question "Do you wanna pet Vader?"

[face_laugh] You are *too* funny, Dawn!!

Awwww...thanks for the well wishes everyone!! He's nothing like his name's sake...he's not tall, powerful and intimidating... he's actually quite short, quiet and sweet!! And he's got those puppy dog eyes that make your heart melt, just like our Ani!! [face_love] !

But my cat did find out there is a bit of a mean streak in him when you try to mess with his bones!! (growllllll, arf!) [face_devil]

If someone could tell me how to post a picture here I would gladly like to show him off!! Just pm me....

So I'm wondering if anyone can relate to this:

I was at a Halloween Party last night and ran into some guy that is a friend of a friend and whom I have known since high school. He's into Buffy so we have chatted about that before and he also loves Star Trek and I was sure that he liked SW too. He's hilarious...life of the party...always has a comment to make about everything and it's usually because he is making fun of it. He's very cynical so in the midst of cracking up you wonder how he gets any real pleasure out of life. Anyway, I mentioned our new dog's name to a group of people (most of which were my really good friends, but do not share my interest in SW) and this guy was amoung us. So he says to me, "Oh, then you are a SW fan. Please tell me you thought the last one was a complete waste!" And then I said, "No, I actually like it the best out of the five!" And boy, did that open up a can of worms!!!

He proceeded to mock and totally bash the love story whilst everyone around me was cracking up at the hidious things he was saying. He basically said that he didn't buy it and "how does slaughtering a bunch of Tusken Raiders make a girl want to give it up to some whiny brat?" And, "how could there be a canoe in SW? That is so hooky of George to put a *canoe* in SW!!" Things like that... :rolleyes:

So it seemed as though I was laughing along with everyone else, but really I was sooooooo embarrassed!! Mainly because I was surrounded by my good friends who I know and love, yet I was witnessing their *true* feelings about SW or at least the PT. I mean, I had always figured that they probably weren't as fond of the PT as I am. They know how much I love it and have never made fun or said anything to my face, but I know by the way they were laughing how much they probably agreed with this guy. Bummer...

I knew that NOTHING I was going to say would change his mind or would put him in his place because he's the type that would have had a come-back for everything. I tried to explain how great the next one was going to be and how Hayden wasn't going to be all whiny in it, but I couldn't get a word in edge-wise. So I decided I was not going to stoop to his level and argue about it. [face_not_talking] I just simply said that the love story is what makes the entire saga so much more deep and meaningful to me. And then of course, he kept going on with the insults because he was liking all the attention he was getting. So, with a smile on my face, I eventually had to smack his arm a couple of times and then told him to STOP [face_talk_hand] . I was having no more of it!!

Then I changed the subject...

After that, all I wanted to do was run to our little sanctuary here and get some hugs!! :)

I mean, he's entitiled to his opinions, but my gosh!! Why do people have to be so mean? Especially about the PT...that seems to strike a nerve in a lot of people as you all know very well!!

Whew!! Just had to get *that* off my chest!!

And really, I'm not trying to spark fan-bashing here...(if you want to do that, just pm me ;) ) just in need of some support....

...some hugs...

...and one of those little brownies might not be bad....

...and I think I'll go get some loves from little Vader... (tee hee hee [face_love] )

-AnakinsLuv

p.s. Hope everyone had a great Halloween!!

18. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    AnakinsLuv

Well that blows :( Guess you can't always judge a book by its cover.

I don't quite understand why some people think the love story is so completely unbelievable and to say that IT killed the film??? Give me a break! The LS got what 15 minutes in the whole film, if even?

I personally think it was a crime to the overall story that Boba Fett, a minor, MINOR character in the OT, really got more fleshing out in AOTC than the LS.

I've been thinking a lot about Padme recently, and have decided to work on a series of essays, this is the first part to them. Enjoy! And I'll add more in a couple of days or so...

Deconstructing Padme
    [Part 1]

To best understand the Love Story in the prequels, we must understand our heroine. Padme is not a wilting flower, or a doe-eyed damsel in distress, in fact, she?s completely the opposite. Padme is strong and brave, but above all else she?s driven.

What do we know of Padme?s childhood? If we completely ignore the novelizations and only look at the 2 films and the deleted scenes, we don?t know a lot. But what we do know paints the portrait of a young girl who grew up and lived and breathed for an ideal. She sacrificed everything of herself and her own identity to champion freedom and democracy for the Galaxy.

To what do I base this on? Her bedroom scene with Anakin. (Deleted scene.) The moving pictures on her wall were a stiff portrait of her and her family, and her with all of those alien kids who died.

Okay- let?s just think about that for a moment, Padme?s bedroom, we can assume, was pretty much not lived in much since she was a child. Normally, when kids move away from home, some of their stuff from their youth is left over ? pictures w/ childhood friends, crafts they made as a child?she had nothing like that at all in her room. She had an image of her and her family, and her with a bunch of kids who died?not exactly what one would readily think of as happy childhood memories.

This is quite telling and reveals a lot about her personality and her life?s dedication to her job. Padme sacrificed everything that a normal kid would experience ? including her one known crush on the cute, curly haired Paulo friend from her legislative youth program ? to be an adult.

Just looking at Queen Amidala?s costumes in TPM also paint another image to us. Much like Queen Elizabeth, her face is always painted white, her hair ornate, and her clothes were rigid, unyielding, and impenetrable. Even though they were mostly Japanese-inspired in style, they still created Padme?s Queenly presence to be virginal, uncorruptible, utterly unattainable, and untainted. Queen Amidala was Naboo?s virgin Queen ? her young age of 14 further removed any ideas of sex from her ? she bore in her bearing the optimism of youth that only age and life experience can destroy.

One of the things to note in the films is that Padme rarely smiles. Unlike what critics say, this isn?t because Natalie isn?t acting, or she?s stiff, or bad directing, it points to her character being very serious in being. I suppose that most people find that a bit confusing, as they probably expected her to be just like Leia ? feisty and argumentative. But the prequels were written from a different time, as Obi-Wan mused ?A more civilized age??

The OT easily documents its polarities in themes ? good vs. evil, compassion vs greed, free choice vs destiny. The prequels themes are there, but they are more difficult to determine, the main key theme being democracy (good) vs dictatorship (evil.)

Padme is everything that Palpatine is not. She is the champion of liberty, of justice, of freedom. The very fact that she?s female puts her at the completely opposite scale of the Empire. The Empire is a vast machine ? it ?creates? life through machinery ? through cloning and medical science. Padme is a woman and is the very essence of life itself. She will give birth to her children naturally, something that the Empire can never do ? they can never create real life.

Naboo is the epicenter of Democrac

19. darth_daydreamer

darth_daydreamer Jedi Youngling

Oct 6, 2004
    Wow PadmeLeiaJaina, that was a really in-depth analysis of Padme's character! Padme has so many facades she's fascinating, you explored everything so well. Can I just say.. more! :D

20. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    Good morning, everyone! [face_coffee]

Happy Monday! [image=http://www.rhonderoo.com/anakinwindow.jpg]

PLJ, I'm on the editorial staff at a SW Intellectual site that's going live in the next couple of days. We need to get you to submit! Right, Miss Padme? :D

21. Alderaan21

Alderaan21 Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 24, 1998
    Happy Monday, indeed, if I keep seeing pics like that. [face_love]

PLJ, I'm on the editorial staff at a SW Intellectual site that's going live in the next couple of days. We need to get you to submit! Right, Miss Padme?

I was just thinking that myself - over the years you've done some really interesting and thoughtful analysis of the prequels, PLJ, and they're always a pleasure to read, this latest one included. :)

AnakinsLuv, I'm really sorry you had to go through that. I have to deal with this fairly regularly on my LiveJournal, where much of my friends-list is into Harry Potter and loathes everything Lucas has done with SW recently; so when one of them opens up a can of worms, a bunch of others swarm on it and I wind up being the lone voice of dissent. ;) Then just last Thanksgiving my sister and I had to deal with something like that with my stepfamily (on my dad's side) - we wound up having to defend Anakin being "whiny" in AotC (as well as a bit of general bashing) to two or three of my stepbrothers/sisters. In our irritation, it never occurred to either of us until later to throw back at them whether they found Luke's whininess irritating as well. Especially since as a teenager he didn't have near as hard a life as Anakin did. :rolleyes: (It drives me batty that people hold Anakin's 'whininess' in one scene - which, if one notices, he stops the moment he gets out what he wants to say; for pete's sake, he's venting - as a complaint, yet when you hear about the OT, where Luke whined a lot more, and for far less reason, Luke's character somehow escapes being vilified. Not that I hold it against either - I'm 20-something myself, and I whine a lot more than Anakin ever did!) Fortunately the love story itelf didn't come up, though (!!!). Of course, on the opposite side , my stepsister on my mom's side doesn't seem to hate the prequels - she actually watched the end of TPM on TV with me, bought both prequels for her dad, and voiced the idea that she thought it was Amidala dying that would drive Anakin bonkers in the end. So not everyone out there loathes them - but it does seem quite a few out there do delight in taking them down. It is sobering, but then again, that's why we have groups like this one. :)

22. rhonderoo

Aug 7, 2002
    PLJ, I'm on the editorial staff at a SW Intellectual site that's going live in the next couple of days. We need to get you to submit! Right, Miss Padme?

I was just thinking that myself - over the years you've done some really interesting and thoughtful analysis of the prequels, PLJ, and they're always a pleasure to read, this latest one included.

I forgot you post here at Alderaan, Lady_Aeyrn.. :)

But she's right, we'll need some good stuff on A/P!

AnakinsLuv, that does really suck. :( He's probably really insecure deep down inside. ;)

23. PadmeLeiaJaina

May 23, 2002
    Send me the link ladies :D

24. stacysatrip

stacysatrip Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 20, 2002
    AnakinsLuv I think a big problem people have with the love story is that they can't wrap their minds around the idea that Anakin Skywalker was once a good man, capable of loving and being loved. I also think that a lot of them forget how they acted as teenagers and young adults--who among us wasn't petulant and whiny from time to time? Furthermore, they cannot understand or accept the concept of Darth Vader rolling around in the grass with the pretty girl, or gushing romantic drivel to her in order to win her heart. After all, Vader's just supposed to stand around and look imposing, right?

They don't seem to get that this is the story of how a good person turns bad, not how a bad person turns worse.

Don't let it get you down though. At least we get it.

25. qingauk

qingauk Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 12, 2002
    Anakinsluv. I know I do not mention the love story to folks off this list as I would not want to get that kind of reaction. This is a haven for those of us who see the ls for what it truly is and this is a thread that binds :)

PLJ..you never cease to amaze me with your skills at character analysis. You have done it again and expressed it so well. Now where is the rest :)

there are some new pictures up of HC at dh.net and he looks mighty fine from this past weekend.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.