main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Defending Anakin and the Tusken

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by andresfelix, Aug 7, 2014.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    I don't buy that. Jedi only have jurisdiction as far as law and justice goes. In my opinion, it's not even in their character to take a child without the parents' consent. Qui-Gon says that if Anakin had been born within the Republic, they would have identified him (not take him) earlier. And Qui-Gon only tests and takes Anakin after both Shmi and Anakin agree with it (in this case, Anakin has a say due to his age, of course).

2. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    Careful now. Genocide and mass murders were committed because of flimsy excuses such as this. "A selected group of them repeatedly did something terrible, therefore they're all evil and must die! Kill 'em all! Down to the last wretched child!"

The settlers do have a right to defend themselves if the Tuskens attack them, but to wage genocide? Who could ever, in good moral conscience, order a genocide? I think we all know the answer to that.

3. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011

Yeah, Anakin is given a choice, he wasn't forced.

Qui-Gon wouldn't bother saying this if Anakin didn't have any choice in the matter. Qui-Gon isn't trying to sell Anakin on becoming a Jedi by telling him it will be difficult.

The Jedi Path is garbage.

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  4. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    He was given a choice because he was old enough to speak for himself. In most cases, the consent would be given by the parents. I imagine if the parents refused, the Jedi would respect their wishes.

5. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    It's got lots of interesting info on the Temple, Jedi training, Jedi powers, etc. However it's very EU-centric, so it's possible that Lucas didn't intend the Jedi to be seen as "automatically the legal custodians of all Force-sensitives born in the Republic".

6. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011
    It would have been helpful if George had settled the issue explicitly in the films, but alas.

But I do agree that the Jedi weren't meant to be baby-snatchers.

7. Bazinga'd

Bazinga'd Saga / WNU Manager - Knights of LAJ star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 1, 2012
    There are a lot of other things I wish he had settled. :p

TX-20 likes this.
  8. Rabs

Rabs Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 15, 2014

Tusken Raiders are primitive but evil? Look at from their point of view. Tatooine is their planet and and everyone else are viewed as invaders. Were the Native Americans evil for killing white settlers that invaded their land? I don't know what it'll be like in the new canon or if they'll even discuss it, but in the Legends EU settlers came to Tatoonie and butchered Tusken Raiders and ran them off of their own land. Who's really in the wrong here? The primitive using primitive tactics to defend what is theirs, or the so called civilized man invading the primitives world and then crying when the primitives react?

9. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    I concur. From their perspective, the humans are the villains. What they're doing is no different than what the humans are doing. Both sides see the other as the bad guys. Does it justify torturing Shmi? No, but it also doesn't justify an entire mass slaughter of a village.

10. natureboy76

natureboy76 Jedi Knight star 2

Dec 11, 2009
    Anakin is a jerk.

[​IMG]

TX-20 likes this.
  11. SkywalkerJedi02

SkywalkerJedi02 Jedi Knight star 1

Jul 3, 2013
    I see your point and I can understand Anakin's actions but I think he shouldn't have killed unless it was needed for him or and his mother to escape and there was no other way but his mother was near death anyway and died but I can't say I blame him because it was his mother and was angry and he did at least say he shouldn't have done it later on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. andresfelix

andresfelix Jedi Youngling star 1

May 25, 2014
  13. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    I still LOL at the idea that Anakin killing the younglings is a debatable topic.

14. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    The debate is over whether it hurts RoTJ or not:

15. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    'Monster' and 'Sympathetic' are very subjective terms.

I thought his killing kids tried to make it clear he was corrupted and blind however as SW is nearly bloodless it rings hollow. War is by no means clean nor is it b/w like many seem to think SW is.

16. Darth Rycbar

Darth Rycbar Jedi Youngling star 1

Aug 1, 2014
    I don't recall it ever even being implied in her books that they were kidnapped. From Triple Zero:
    "I didn't have a mother or a father, but a stranger willingly chose me to be his son. You had a mother and father, and they let strangers take you."

Etain's parents allowed them to take her, which is consistent with the movies and TCW.

17. Iron_lord

Sep 2, 2012
    In I think Order 66 and 501st: Imperial Commando, it's made clear that Etain and the Mandos think that the Jedi would kidnap her child from her. In one of the chapter headers for 501st, Master Zey is musing that Etain and the Mandos saw him as a would-be kidnapper, and that "that breaks my heart."

18. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

Its called moral relativism. The same logic applies to a jihadist wanting to kill a non-believer.

19. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Yeah, I don't consider the morality of that debatable either.

20. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    Thats the issue, whose morality trumps another?

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  21. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Those who aren't justifying murder.

DarthLightlyBruise and TX-20 like this.
  22. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012
    OK. The Catholic Chuch (via eight crusades) justified the elimination of non-believers on religious grounds. Other religions have also self-rationalized the wholesale murder.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  23. Cushing's Admirer

Cushing's Admirer Chosen One star 7

Jun 8, 2006
    That doesn't mean it is justified, Baz.

24. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    This reminds me of SLJ's most famous moment in A Time to Kill when he justifies murdering his daughter's rapists:

"YES THEY DESERVED TO DIE, AND I HOPE THEY BURN IN HELL"

25. Bazinga'd

Nov 1, 2012

I am not disagreeing, all I am saying is that people's morals differ from one another. Morality is not absolute.

Sith Lord 2015 and Andy Wylde like this.