main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

PT Defending Anakin and the Tusken

Discussion in 'Prequel Trilogy' started by andresfelix, Aug 7, 2014.

1. DarthTalonx

DarthTalonx Jedi Master star 4

Nov 12, 2014
    Very true. It is the Tuskens who took Shmi and this particular tribe who committed these acts of savagery. It's one thing for those on Coruscant to just sit there and discuss things in a committee whilst people are trying to get on with their lives and being attacked by bandits on worlds like Tatooine, which the Republic is totally apathetic about. Most people seem to just be enjoying the high life from their plush apartments in the Republic whilst ordinary citizens have to deal with the failings of this bloated inefficient and unjust bureaucratic governance system which simply ignores the Outer Rim.

I think Anakin's dispensing of justice did indeed drive fear into the Tuskens to never attack people again. No doubt it would become a legend (they seemed particularly scared of Obi Wan's approach) amongst Tuskens. And amongst the local populace who probably drank a toast to the vigilante who dealt with them. Other farmers would probably be much safer also.

Anakin might have acted in anger - this was what was shown to be his dark tendencies (hence the Vader music). I do wonder about Padme's reaction though! However, the Tuskens (that group of Tuskens) were the bad guys here. In all this, people seem to be ignoring Shmi, the attack on innocent farmers. The fact that Tuskens are known and shown to be bandits - thieves, savage slavers and irritants to others (in TPM they are seen shooting and killing at least one pod racer).

I mean why do the citizens of Tatooine not deserve justice, and the people of Naboo do? Not that the Republic even did much to help the latter either.

Note that others' help was sought to locate the bad Tusken tribe - at least one group of Jawa's is shown passing information to their whereabouts. To an extent a Jedi appears to be taken as some (even this far out from the capital) as a guardian of the peace and justice (Watto's slight panic at realising Anakin was a Jedi).

The Tuskens are shown to be bandits, and not a good group of people. For what reason did they take Shmi. The Jedi Order arguably was doing what they should have been doing through this act. A check on chaos, crime, despair, corruption. Could it have been done better? Yes. But did the Republic do anything? No.

2. Christus Regnet

Christus Regnet Jedi Master star 3

Mar 10, 2016
    Well, the Republic can't do anything. The Republic consists of thousands of member worlds. Tatooine is ruled by another government that is not interested in becoming a member of the Republic.

The Jedi are semi autonomous, and go where they please, but mostly act on behalf of the Republic. Republic Member worlds are themselves autonomous and have individual sovereignty. When Qui-Gonn goes to Naboo, he doesn't act without getting permission from Naboo's government. And when he goes to Tatooine, he respects the local laws.

It's not the Republic's or the Jedi's fault that Tatooine is a crappy place to live.

There are countries in the world today where slavery is still legal, and openly practiced(actually slavery exists in every single country, but not openly in countries where it is not legal), but a country that has banned slavery, can't simply force another independent country that hasn't, to outlaw it.

Valairy Scot likes this.
  3. Iron_lord

Iron_lord Chosen One star 10

Sep 2, 2012
    Not recognised countries. More "outlaw, quasi-state countries"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slavery

While slavery was institutionally recognized by most societies, it has now been outlawed in all recognized countries,[4][5] the last being Mauritania in 2007. Nevertheless, there are an estimated 45.8 million people subject to some form of modern slavery worldwide.[6]

Jedi Knight Fett likes this.
  4. Sith Lord 2015

Sith Lord 2015 Jedi Master star 4

Oct 30, 2015
    WHAT local laws? You mean the arbitrary "rules" set up by a criminal gangster clan?
    If they were really that concerned about justice and safety for everyone, they definitely could have done more. It IS their fault. Guilt by negligence/inaction. It's like what Sean Connery says to his corrupt police staff in Outland, "I see, you don't do anything bad, you just don't do any good", or something like that. The police SHOULD actively enforce laws and justice, not look the other way. Same with SW. It's not enough for the Jedi and the Republic to passively not oppress anyone. They should actively enforce peace and justice. And that should include Tatooine. It seems the Empire in later years does a better job at that than the Republic.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  5. DARTHLINK

DARTHLINK Force Ghost star 4

Feb 24, 2005
    I think Christus meant that countries aren’t supposed to invade other countries and enforce their own will on them (glares at own country — but that’s another topic for another day.) In the case of the SW universe, the Republic can’t just invade the Outer Rim because whether they like it or not, it’s controlled by the Hutts and to attack the Outer Rim is to declare a war on the Hutts. Then they’ll have to explain to the populace of the Republic why they’re suddenly at war with the Hutts when they haven’t done anything to warrant such a response.

What are they gonna say? “Uh, those oppressed people we’ve been ignoring this whole time? Yeah, we suddenly care about them and wanna help them so...man your stations, boys and girls! We’re going to liberate the crap out of Tatooine, ooh-rah!”

Last edited: May 31, 2018
    Samuel Vimes and Iron_lord like this.
  6. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    The Republic does not have a legal right to enforce anything on Tatooine. They have no presense on Tatooine, and are not wanted on Tatooine. Tatooine does not belong to the Republic. Nor does it belong to the empire.

Speaking of which, nor did the Empire, with its vast military(a military which the Republic did not have), do anything to stop slavery practices on Tatooine. Not only that, but the Empire brought back slavery to its own territory, where it was universally outlawed within the Republic.

Samuel Vimes and Iron_lord like this.
  7. Samuel Vimes

Samuel Vimes Force Ghost star 4

Sep 4, 2012
    As others have said, Tatooine is NOT republic territory so they have no right to enforce laws there.
    What you are saying is that the republic should go to war and conquer the rest of the galaxy that does not have the same laws as they do.
    Which is bad for a a lot of reason and would make the republic little more than dictators.

Same in our world, should the US go to war with all countries that have different laws?
    That would likely end with WW3 and goodbye humanity.

And it also sets a dangerous precedent, the one with the most power is the one that dictate policy and laws to those that are weaker.

The Empire did not do a better job.
    Mos Eisley is dangerous and people need to watch their step.
    Jabba is a local crime lord and the Empire has done zero to stop him.
    And as Solo showed, the Empire did little to nothing to stop criminal syndicates from doing anything they wanted to.

The Galaxy is much less safe under the empire and not only is crime not dealt with, now the Government actively oppresses the population.
    Not better.

Bye.
    Old Stoneface

jakobitis89 and Iron_lord like this.
  8. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Well, in that case, I'm sure the farmers cheered even more for Anakin! The Republic won't help them, the Hutts don't give a rat's ass, the Jedi can't be bothered with slavery... so finally there is ONE guy who got the balls to take care of things! Frankly, if I were one of those farmers I'd build a memorial statue of Anakin.:D

DarthTalonx likes this.
  9. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    IF they even knew who Anakin was — indeed they may have silently praised whoever killed off that specific tribe, but they have no clue who did it and Anakin isn’t exactly telegraphing himself as Tatooine’s personal Rambo/Moses hybrid.

Heh, now I have an image of Anakin going, “I am the sword of God, and I know no mercy. All who stand in my way will be crushed.” :p

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    DarthTalonx and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  10. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Good one, and I agree. But as you said, IF anyone actually saw Anakin, recognized him and remembered him, some farmer MIGHT actually have praised him as some sort of savior. Why not? How did Paul Atreides become Muad'Dib? He was at the right time at the right place, and became a hero. Anakin on Tatooine might have become a local hero as well.

DarthTalonx likes this.
  11. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    This of course assumes a lot of things;
    1) That any other Sand People tribes found out about this, which would likely take a while since Anakin left no survivors. Given the slow speed they travel, them being very hostile and territorial, I don't think Sand People often pops by for tea and crumpets.
    So at least weeks, more likely months or years would pass before any other Sand People would notice this.

2) That they would have any idea who did this. If months have passed, then bodies would be decayed and likely eaten so they would not know what happened.

3) Assuming that they do find out, that the Sand People are cowed by this and not enraged and step up their attacks. If the latter happens, the farmers would likely curse the one who caused this.

4) How would the farmers find out? They would be even less likely to go out into the Junland wastes and stumble across the camp. And they likely don't talk often with Sand people.
    All Owen and co knew that Anakin got Shmi's body back, they are not shown to be told about what Anakin did. Padme hears about it but the others are not shown to be aware of it.
    And given that he is a Jedi, they know that, they are not likely to think he would do this.

In all, what is likely to happen is that there is less attacks around their area as there are less Sand People for now.
    Beyond that, unknown.

Bye.

Iron_lord likes this.
  12. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    Anakin let one child escape, to spread the word to other Tuskens.

And of course, the Lars family knew about it, and it probably freaked them the hell out. Anakin swoops in on his fancy ship with his hot senator girlfriend. Parks it right in their backyard, after ten years. Then he runs off to rescue his mum, which the settlers already tried....and were slaughtered...but no, Anakin single handedly wipes out the entire tusken tribe, on their own turf, and brings back Shmi. They have a short funeral, ...then zoooom. Anakin and his hottie take off without saying goodbye, never to be seen again.

I wonder what Owen and Beru thought when Obi-Wan whom they didn't even know, shows up 3 years later with a baby and says "Here!"

I'm imagining the conversation between Padme and Beru:

Padme: "Hello, I'm Padme. I'm a Senator!"
    Beru: "Nice to meet Padme, I'm a...I'm Beru(blushes). That's beautiful dress, but you better not go into town dressed like that, unless you wanna get.."
    Padme: "Oh, don't worry. I have an all-powerful space wizard boyfriend to protect me. Do you have an all-powerful space wizard boyfriend???"
    Beru: "...no...:confused:"

Last edited: Jun 2, 2018
    DarthTalonx and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  13. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    Er, I may be dense at the moment, but I don’t think we’ve evidence he even spared one child. His implication was that they’re all dead.

That said, yeah I agree with you, that must’ve been one hell of an awkward moment for the Lars family. :p

EDIT TO VIMES: Even if they did stumble on the bodies, all they’d see are dead Tuskens with strange cut marks on them — nothing to tell them that a Jedi did this. It could’ve been literally anything, even a local giant sand monster (Krayt dragon??) that attacked them.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    Iron_lord likes this.
  14. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    Well, I assume there was SOME kind of communication among the tribes. Where does it say otherwise? I don't think that one camp was that isolated that even other Tusken didn't know about it. There must have been some kind of trade among the tribes, possibly blood relations as well. Some way or other, word would have gotten around. The Lars family knew, so it's likely they told other farmers, who would have told their fellow human settlers. I don't think the Tusken were dumb enough to never find out what happened.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2018
    DarthTalonx likes this.
  15. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Sand People don't travel fast and how far it is between camps is not known.

Given that water is very precious and that they don't have the tech to get water from the air, they likely must be where there are pockets of natural water.
    And given how precious water is, they would not want others there to use the same water.

As for trade, they are raiders, so trade does not sound like they do a lot of.
    And given how hostile and territorial they are, they would not welcome outsiders.

So weeks, months if not years could go by before any come by. And as I said, if the camp is found two months later, the bodies would be decayed or eaten to not leave much to point to what happened.

And do the Lars know that Anakin killed them all?
    Where is that said?
    They know he went there and brought his mother back, that is all.
    He is a Jedi so why would they assume that he went kill crazy?

Bye.
    Old Stoneface

Iron_lord likes this.
  16. DARTHLINK

Feb 24, 2005
    To add with what Vimes said:

How on Earth would the Tuskens be able to figure out precisely what happened? Given what we know of them, they’re not exactly strapping on the latex gloves to dust for prints and collect samples to send to the Tusken Crime Lab and cross-reference injuries and blades, etc. All they’d see are a bunch of dead Tuskens with strange cut marks on them.

We can also safely rule out that they know anything about the Jedi. So for all the Tuskens would know, something with a really sharp blade killed these Tuskens. If it’s settlers, then gods help whatever settler they decide to attack out of revenge. If it’s some wild beast with razor sharp claws, then they’ll probably steer clear of that area.

Again, while the idea of a mythical demonic entity with a glowing beam of light does sound epic and cool... the reality of it is that not only would it take a hell of a long time for such a myth to form, not only would Anakin need to keep killing tribe after tribe in the same manner for people on both sides to get the hint; the fact is, everyone involved would need to know exactly what happened.

The Tuskens don’t know, because the ones involved in the attack are now dead. The Lars have no clue, because Anakin never told them.

The reality is that from their POV, an entire Tusken tribe is dead. Best case scenario is that no further violence is started upon discovery because either the Tuskens conclude some wild beast did the killing, or the bodies are too decayed/devoured to be studied.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
    Iron_lord likes this.
  17. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    In "Kenobi," other Tusken tribes knew some of what happened. At least some Tuskens were familiar with a lightsaber from that Jedi that became a Tusken sort of(I can't remember his name. Sharad? A'sharet?) and used the Tuskens against Hutts and settlers both.

Anakin(even if they didn't know what he looked like) became a legend, and was worshipped and feared.

Edit: Is there a limited time frame in which a post can be edited? I can't edit any posts that I've made that have mistakes. I thought the priviledge was taken away or something, but here the edit button returned when I made a new post, yet on older messages, it is still missing.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2018
  18. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    THIS. That's a good quote. The Republic is certainly to blame for this. As per Padme, Republic laws are not enforced. Shmi tells her that people must live on their own out here. The Empire certainly seems to do a better job than the Republic, that's for sure. Imperials are seen on the streets and respond to the disturbance at the bar. As for the Jedi, the actions of Anakin would have driven fear into the Tuskens. When Obi Wan approached, they scatter almost immediately from Luke's speeder.

In all this, everyone seems to ignore the Tuskens were the bad guys here. They took Shmi. In TPM, they openly shoot and kill at least one pod racer. And the bad Tuskens were dealt justice. Other innocent Tuskens, Humans, Jawas, Twileks, Rodians etc could live in a more orderly peaceful Tatooine if justice was enforced and peace maintained by such Jedi action. The Republic is apathetic, and frankly lets a criminal gangster clan, criminal scum, slavers etc do whatever they want and abandon countless citizens to anarchy.

The Connery quote is a golden one. Similar to Qui Gon in the Batman film.

When you make yourself more than a man, when you devote yourself to the Jedi ideal, and they can't stop you, you become something else entirely.
    Legend Anakin. Legend.

Indeed, by the time of ANH, the Tuskens flee very quickly upon Obi Wan (a Jedi) approaching Luke's speeder.

Anakin, as a Jedi dispensed justice and probably became a feared legend that kept bad Tuskens in check to a far greater extent than the apathetic burecrats of the Old Republic.

I love the closing scene of ROTS and in AOTC the part where Anakin says to Padme he won't be long. But now you mention it, yes I wonder given Obi Wan rolls up and hands them this baby haha!

Agreed! The Hutts are part of the problem.

In the name of the Galactic Senate of the Republic, you are under the arrest Jabba.
    Are you threatening me Master Jedi?
    The people of Tatooine will decide your fate.
    I am Tatooine!

Even in the opening sequence of ROTJ, Jabba is described as evil. In TPM, and AOTC, Tatooine is at the mercy of slavers, gangsters, thugs etc. Indeed, there must be a statue of a Jedi warrior akin to a vigilante in Mos Eisley, out in the sandy dunes etc. Same with Luke, he dispensed with Jabba who ignored his multiple warnings. Innocent Tuskens, Humans, Twileks and countless other species could live in a safer Tatooine after Anakin's actions since the bad ones feared this vigilante.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  19. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    Furthermore the Tuskens chose to commit barbaric acts. Much like Palpatine they were given the choice not to do so (Palpatine was given at least two chances to surrender to arrest). Jabba was given at least two warnings as well.

I would not at all be surprised if there is a statue of a mysterious mythical Jedi Knight carved into a rock on Tatooine, where respects are paid by the local Humans, Twileks, Jawas, good Tuskens etc.

Isn't it also mentioned in AOTC that several friends of the Lars (possibly other farmers) who rode out to try and free her, were killed by the Tuskens also? They appear to be shown as savages (in fact they kill in TPM also). By the time of ANH, it appears that "they have never hit anything this big before," suggesting that for a considerable period they have become a far less threat than they used to be. It is only at dark, where Luke advises caution to C3PO.

Tatooine also appears to have a somewhat better governance/preservation of the law in the era of the Empire than the Republic which lets the Hutts and gangster clans, criminals, bandits, thugs etc exploit the people of this Outer Rim planet.

20. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    You keep making this assertion but the films don't bear that out.

Mos Eisley is called "a wretched hive of scum and villainy" and that they have to be careful there.
    In the bar, one of the guys that assault Luke is a wanted man, he even has the death penalty on him.
    And yet he makes no effort to hide or be inconspicuous. And the "law" on Tatooine has either not noticed him or if they have, they don't care.
    He and his crew were looking for a fight or even to kill Luke and no apparent worry about the law.
    Han shoots a guy and walks out, again no worry about the law.

Jabba is a crime lord and he operates openly and without much worry of an imperial crackdown.

What the films show is the empire mostly have their forces dealing with those they deem a threat and their solution is often just killing them and then making it look like other people did it.
    Their forces aren't really interested in maintaining law and order, just a fear of the empire.

The empire isn't a rule of law but a rule of fear. The "law" is whatever the regional governor feels like enforcing and no one would dare protest because of fear of the DS.
    It is Order but without any justice, it is Control, not laws.

Bye.
    Blackboard Monitor

Iron_lord likes this.
  21. Christus Regnet

Mar 10, 2016
    The empire doesn't even have a presense on Tatooine. Those stormtroopers are only there for the droids.

22. DarthTalonx

Nov 12, 2014
    I thought that initially, but you can see that at the bar, the Stormtroopers clearly act like a police force, and are called at a sign of trouble. (The confrontation between those thugs and Obi Wan). So there are regular patrols that nobody seems to question and crime isn't happening openly on the streets, but much more hidden versus the days of the Old Republic and the gangster Hutts who openly act with impunity.

It is relative. Compared to the days of the old Republic, where there is zero presence by the Republic. The Imperials seem to have at least have some semblance of a presence and patrols etc. Jabba himself tells Han that he dropped his cargo on the first sign of an Imperial starship. Imperials clearly are doing some form of police action. Furthermore, there is no longer criminality being practised so brazenly. Tatooine is indeed a retched hive as Obi Wan puts it. But this now has to happen in the dark of bars, or out in the sand dunes. When there is an altercation between those thugs who tried to attack Luke, and Obi Wan, clearly the moody barman reported the disturbance to the authorities who turn up. This has nothing to do with the search for the droids who aren't even present.

Jabba openly attended pod races and slavery existed in the open under the Republic. The Hutts are gangsters. ROTJ clearly calls Jabba the vile gangster in its crawl. I don't think I need to tell you about the bounty hunters. Even the Empire calls them scum in ESB.

The Empire was the Republic. It transformed into an entity that was about order. Perhaps Vader and Luke's Empire would have been much better than the rule of an overconfident Palpatine too tolerant of the likes of Tarkin. The Empire did enforce the law though, whatever is said and done, and not just through fear. But the mere presence of the Imperial Navy etc. The DS is not known to exist publicly at this point in ANH, so the Empire merely uses the Stormtroopers etc. I do agree, that sadly its justice had been twisted by the dark side with no recourse for absolute freedom. But as for citizens going about their daily lives, they are probably far better off with the Empire than the corrupt apathetic Republic. A government led by the likes of Leia on the other hand with the assistance of the noble Jedi, that of course is a different story.

Sith Lord 2015 likes this.
  23. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    Incorrect, the troopers were not there because of the fight, they were there because they had been told about someone using a lightsabre.
    The weapon of a Jedi and the Jedi have been hunted down by the empire and thus they are interested.

A normal fight, they don't care.
    Hence why Han could shoot Greedo and no troopers and why the thugs that were picking a fight with Luke were unconcerned about the "law".
    One guy even brags about that he is wanted, clearly the "law" on Tatooine does not care.
    There were troopers in the city and yet a wanted man could walk around and get to that bar without getting arrested.

The empire isn't totally lawless no, but it certainly turns a blind eye to a lot.

People have told you this before, the Republic did not have a presence on Tatooine because Tatooine was NOT a part of the Republic.
    For them to have such would require a military invasion and this would make the Republic little more than oppressors or dictators.

And it was Mos Eisley that was called a wretched hive, not Tatooine.
    And comparing it with Mos Espa from TPM, the latter seemed more "safe".
    Kids could walk around without hassle, a lone woman had a house with no apparent fear of robbers.
    People came to Mos Espa from all over the outer rim for the races.
    It wasn't very nice or totally safe by any means but it seemed better than Mos Eisley.

And as I said above, the barman didn't call the "cops" because of the fight, one guy told them about someone using a lightsabre.

Jabba had a palace in RotJ and it was hardly a secret. And he is a known crime lord but has the Empire done anything to stop him? Nope!
    They don't care as long as he does not cause them any direct problems.

Some of the imperial officers did not care for bounty hunters no but Vader, the second in command of the empire had no problem using them. And given that several of them came when Vader called, either he or the empire must have a reputation for using bounty hunters as why would they risk coming otherwise?

And take Solo, that film shows quite clear how little the empire cares about crime lords or cartels.
    They are doing horrible things to a lot of people on several planets and yet not once do these people seem to consider asking the empire for help.
    Either the empire does not care, or some officials have been bribed to look the other way or the empire are using the criminal organisations to accomplish their goals.

[/QUOTE]

Hardly, Luke, who lived on a planet where he would have little interaction with imperial soldiers or suffer directly at their hands, even he hated the empire.
    And the DS was part of Palpatine's schemes long before Tarkin, see AotC.
    And the goal of the thing was clear, until then he had to tolerate the senate having some limited power.
    But once it was ready, he dispensed with any pretense of being the "good guy", now it was all about rule of fear, Fear of the DS, fear of utter destruction.
    The idea is simple "Do as you are told, obey and if you do not, we'll destroy you utterly."

At the start of ANH, the rebellion is getting more and more support because people are realizing just how evil the empire is. And this was before they blew up a planet as just an object lesson.
    And where they thought attacking a diplomatic ship was risky and covered up the murder of Jawas by blaming it on Sand People.
    Even that empire, who tread with some care, was reviled.

The empire had stepped up their repression and as Leia said "The more you tighten your grip, the more systems will slip through your fingers."
    At the end of RotS, some people might have thought that they were getting peace and order in exchange for less democracy. By the time of ANH, several of them had realized that they were wrong.
    What they got was oppression and tyranny.
    And the end goal was for the regional governors to have direct control, in other words they could do as they please as long as Palpatine didn't mind.

The republic was bad in many ways but the empire was clearly worse.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Iron_lord and Sith Lord 2015 like this.
  24. Sith Lord 2015

Oct 30, 2015
    You have some good points but this is something we don't know from the movie. It's not in the novelization either. The stormtroopers might have come because of the lightsaber, but they might just as well have come because of the fight, after all someone was seriously hurt, maybe killed. And the troopers happened to be in the area. Besides, how would this new generation of troopers even know what a lightsaber is? As is said in the movie, the Jedi were already practically extinct. Nor do I think anyone in the Cantina ever saw a lightsaber in his life, much less associate it with the Jedi. The Jedi have been gone for 20 years. Why would the Empire, let alone a simple stormtrooper, worry about them anymore?
    Also, how come they didn't notice the droids waiting just outside the Cantina? When they entered, Luke and Ben were still inside. It's unlikely the droids hid before meeting with Luke. How would Luke have found them anyway? No, they were told by Luke where to hide. So why didn't the troopers notice them, when finding the plans was their only mission on Tatooine? Sure, Ben used that mind trick. But I don't think it had lasting effects, and even if it did, it would only have affected that one trooper. It did not make the entire group forget their mission. As we saw, the stormtroopers remembered their mission very well when the order was given to "stop that ship".
    As to why no stormtroopers came after Han shot Greedo, well, Han got out of there real fast, and the troopers were already on their way to search for the droids. But for all we know, some of them just may have come into the Cantina again, only Han was faster.
    As you said, the Empire had no troops stationed on Tatooine, but since they were already there, they may have acted as some sort of police. At least in their presence nobody would have dared to start a fight. As to that guy with a price on his head, well, easy for him to talk that way. He didn't really known there were Imperial troops just outside the door, did he? If he had known, I'm pretty sure he would have left Luke alone. For all we know, the troopers could have been in Mos Eisley for just an hour, and word of their presence simply had not gotten around fast enough to reach the Cantina. In Star Wars, we don't really see that many people using smartphones.:D
    OK, but they clearly had SOME kind of authority even on Tatooine. Otherwise, how could they randomly stop vehicles? So yes, in that respect they actually did act as a kind of police, if only a temporary one.

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    DarthTalonx likes this.
  25. Samuel Vimes

Sep 4, 2012
    When the troopers come in, Han says to Obi-Wan that they are interested in his handiwork.
    Pretty clear that they came in for Obi-Wan.
    And given that the place was known for being rough, why would anyone run outside to tell the troopers about a fight when that seemed very common?
    No I think the film is clear, the troopers hear about someone with a lightsabre and thus they investigate.

Why would they not know about lightsabers?
    The Jedi began to get hunted down at the end of RotS but we know that some did survive but were apparently hunted down in the years between RotS and ANH.
    So it is quite possible that the last Jedi known to the Empire was killed say 5 years ago.
    So the troopers would likely have been told about Jedi and their signature weapon.
    And if any of the troopers are from the clone wars, they served under Jedi and knew their weaponry well.
    And if we assume they had died off or been "retired", there would be a time when newer troopers were mixed with older ones. And as we see in ANH, even troopers can stand around and chat idly with each other. So I think it likely that the older troopers had talked about the Jedi.
    Even Han knew about the Force and lightsabers, he didn't put much stock in them but he knew about them.

As for the guy who mess with Luke, him not knowing about the troopers makes no sense.
    Vader sent down soldiers right after Leia had been captured. And at least a day or two passed since then and it would be stupid for the empire NOT to send some troops to the spaceports first.
    And if the presence of troopers was not generally known, how did the guy that ran out and told about Obi-Wan know that they were there?
    No, the presence of troopers would be known.

Did Tatooine have a permanent squad of troopers or did they all come from Vaders ship?
    Both are possible but I lean towards the idea that some troopers were there already.
    The gear the troopers have is worn and dirty and where did they get the animals they ride?
    And the troopers seemed to know their way around Mos Eisley and they had informants there.
    Like the guy with the big nose that informs them of the MF.
    And they did know enough about Sand People to make it look like they killed the Jawas but not perfectly.
    So I think Vader sent some soldiers but some were there already.

As for the droids, there were a lot of droids walking around the town and the troopers did not bother them either.
    They had guards checking the ones that came into town, so any droids that had passed that check point would be of no importance to the troopers. At least that is how they would see it until they knew more.
    And they do seem to get more info from informers, that is why they are now more actively looking around and go after the MF.
    But all this after the cantina scene.

EDIT:
    Umm are you talking about the Empire or the Republic?
    I said this;

So if you are talking about the republic, when did the republic stop vehicles on Tatooine?
    If you mean the troopers in ANH, by now Tatooine is part of the empire and there may or may not be troops stationed there permanently.
    So now the troopers have authority to stop people and question them.

Bye for now.
    Old Stoneface

Last edited: Jul 9, 2018
    Sith Lord 2015 and Iron_lord like this.