main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Defending Your Home: Practical Considerations

Discussion in 'Community' started by Jabbadabbado, Feb 8, 2013.

1. Jabbadabbado

Jabbadabbado Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 19, 1999
    With a family of four (including myself) to protect, I finally need to start getting serious about defending my home from intruders. For those of you who have thought this through, maybe you could give me some pointers.

What I've done so far is locks for my front door and back door, locks for my windows, and an alarm system. Actually I didn't do the locks myself. They were already installed when I bought the place. So, really I haven't done much except the security system, and I only did that because the door-to-door saleswoman seemed so nice and was kind of cute.

Some specific questions:

1) are there any legal ways to kill an intruder who breaks and enters my home when no one is there?

2) in the event of someone knocking on the door with the intent to gain entry under false pretenses for the purpose of murder/rape/robbery, does it make sense always to answer the door with a loaded gun in hand and pointed at the potential murderer, or is it ok to simply keep a sidearm holstered when answering the door? Or is it best if I answer the door unarmed and have the wife or one of the children stationed to the side with their weapons trained on the door?

3) how do you divide up armed sentry duty among your family members? Do your children do the night shift on school nights, or only on weekends?

thanks in advance for the help. I look forward to your responses.

2. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    I find moats are seriously underutilized these days as a cost-effective way of both improving the curb-appeal of your house, as well as deterring home invasions.

3. The Loyal Imperial

The Loyal Imperial Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 19, 2007
    A cleverly-placed banana peel at the top of a staircase. If one has children, a toy car may also suffice.

Alpha-Red likes this.
  4. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    DIY home surveillance has become a lot easier and more convenient in recent years. If it's possible for half the people I know to be able to remotely adjust the thermostat, or turn the lights on or off from their iPads, then it shouldn't be such a stretch to rig up some kind of machine gun turrets that can be activated, aimed, and utilized remotely as well.

jp-30 and Alpha-Red like this.
  5. TheGuardianofArlon

TheGuardianofArlon Jedi Master star 6

Feb 26, 2007
    1. If your answering the door all the time with a loaded gun, you need to move out of that neighborhood.
    2. Get a door hole window thingy to view the people from the inside, so you can see who they are and what they look like and what they have on

6. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    sentry gun

Ender_Sai likes this.
  7. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    I looked into installing a moat, but it turns out they're against the HOA rules.

8. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    What about something like a trap door on the front porch that opens up onto a spiked pit filled with venomous snakes?

otoh, I don't want something that will injure the innocent. If it kills the neighbor girls when they come around to collect for girl scout cookies, my son will get upset.

9. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  10. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    Yes, this is key. It's best to see the "I am here to rape your wife and kill your children" t-shirt before you open the door. Once you see the t-shirt, you know to go and grab your machine gun.

Also, you should get a lion.

eht13 likes this.
  11. EHT

EHT Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 13, 2007
    That's it! I'm sure my neighborhood HOA never even thought of prohibiting killer rabbits in the rules.

12. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    i think arlon just means you can check if they're white or not

PRENNTACULAR likes this.
  13. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I'm thinking about that Orkin man who killed the doctor and set her on fire. She probably just let him into the house.

So another question: if I want to point my loaded gun at a plumber or electrician who enters my house to fix something, what's considered courteous and respectful but also safe in terms of how much distance I should keep between myself and the repairman?

14. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    get a track gun like that neil mcdonough on Justified. then you can just ambush their asses if they get shifty

actually that character kind of reminds me of you jabba

15. jp-30

jp-30 Manager Emeritus star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 14, 2000
    Can you wire the mains up to the door handle?

16. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Machine gun turrets? Wtf is wrong with you people?

I wanted to be the first to post that idea... ;_;

17. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    What ethnicity are they?

18. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    I've never seen that show but I'm confident you meant that as a compliment.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  19. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    Drawbridge, Portcullis and murder holes for hot oil. Put these in the porch and your halfway there.

20. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    yes. neil mcdonough owns

watch the show tho so you can find out

21. Jabbadabbado

Mar 19, 1999
    Exactly! My home is my castle, dammit. And that means murder holes.

22. jp-30

Dec 14, 2000
    Have you considered a tiger or lion or maybe a hippo to guard the house?

23. Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi

Lady_Sami_J_Kenobi Jedi Master star 6

Jul 31, 2002
    No, you cannot legally kill an intruder if you are not home. Deadly force is only authorized if a life or extreme physical harm is threatened.

Your other question was regarding the plumber/electrician/etc. Just get someone from Angie's list, then you won't have any problems. Or take a do-it-yourselfer's course and avoid having to hire strangers in the first place.

You could also post the following sign: NO Trespassing. Violators will be shot. Women and children will be winged, men will be gut shot. Survivors will be prosecuted.

My neighbor in Arizona had that posted in his yard. Nobody bothered him. Of course, he had to go to the post office to pick up his mail 'cause the mailman wouldn't deliver mail to his house.

24. SuperWatto

SuperWatto Chosen One star 7

Sep 19, 2000
    You need that fatherly neighbor with the shotgun from the gun control thread - problem solved.

25. Rogue_Ten

Aug 18, 2002
    what if you just have like a net that falls on intruders so that you can kill them when you get home?