main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Amph [DEFIANCE] Is anyone watching the new greatest show on television?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rosslcopter, Jun 5, 2013.

1. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    I couldn't find a thread on this, but what show out there can possibly live up to this right now?

Defiance is a show set in the frontier town Space St. Louis, which is on Earth and surrounded by mountains, where there is deep policital intrigue between the warring houses. Rita from Dexter is the Mayor of Space St. Louis and has to fight to keep peace between the Albino Lannisters (a race of aliens) and wealthy native american miners who are raping space earth for ore. Of course in the background between all this back and forth some old lady trying her best to look like Betty White is pulling all the strings. Periodically they are attacked by aliens dressed as homeless pimps and separately the Flood from Halo.

Also there's a black guy, though I'm not sure what he does.

Overall I would describe it as the lovechild of Farscape and Firefly, all grown up after a childhood of only watching Game of Thrones.

2. Darthkat76

Darthkat76 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 21, 2007
    I caught a little bit of an episode last night. Not sure if I like it yet, but your statement makes some sense...Rockne S. O'Bannon helped develop Defiance and is an executive producer. He is the creator of Farscape (and other good shows).

3. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    This show looks stupid.

4. Rosslcopter

Rosslcopter Jedi Master star 4

Sep 2, 2012
    But Sean! It has an MMO tie in!

5. PRENNTACULAR

PRENNTACULAR VIP star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2005
  6. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    You have an MMO tie in.

7. Likewater

Likewater Jedi Master star 4

Dec 31, 2009
    Scifi spin on the immigrant story, I am watching it. Pretty good, the could really use the Henson shop for the Orangutan like aliens.

But I am still pissed off about Caprica, I like Defiance so far though, the closes Scifi and westerns have been since Firefly.

8. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    Been watching Defiance since the first episode this past April, and am enjoying this - Excellent show. I like the western frontier town/sci-fi aspect, and in some ways it reminds me of one of my favorite HBO shows, Deadwood. I had no familiarity with the franchise before watching the show, since I don't know anything about the video game, etc. - this is probably just as well, since I'm judging the show on it's own merits & not comparing it to different media.

One of the most interesting things about the show is that the universe/characters are fully-realized.

Note: If you haven't seen the last episode & want to be surprised, don't continue reading.

Re: the last episode/finale of this season, I was quite impressed. They really pulled out all the stops for this episode. Very unexpected twists, and I'm glad Nolan survived - though, it's uncertain what happened with Irisa. Also, I wonder if Kenya survived?!

I knew the colonel was a goner when he insulted/confronted Datak Tarr, especially since noone else was around in that room - there was no way Datak would have stood for that. It was unclear if Datak was also wounded, however.

Side-note: I was also a fan of Farscape & saw that whole series years ago, but it's hard to compare this to Defiance since they're completely different shows (despite both being sci-fi).

9. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    I will say this abt Defiance -- they absolutely, positively do not mind killing off the bit characters, even the sympathetic ones.

CloneUncleOwen likes this.
  10. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    I've only seen the pilot episode. I don't really understand why they made such a big point to say that they were traveling to Antarctica, if apparently they were just in the suburbs of St Louis and made it all of 5 minutes into their journey. Couldn't we just have had them headed for St. Louis? Or, you know, started with their arrival there?

11. dp4m

dp4m Chosen One star 10

Nov 8, 2001
    Because that was the dream -- to get there. And now they have a new dream: to put down roots.

12. FatBurt

FatBurt Sex Scarecrow Vanquisher star 6

Jul 21, 2003
    It's a great show

Antarctica is also meant to be like old style earth, no/minimal terraforming and nice and temperate.

13. CloneUncleOwen

CloneUncleOwen Jedi Master star 4

Jul 30, 2009

Apparently St. Louis has a population of 6,000 and access to an incredible power source, yet all we see are a few dozen people living in shipping containers and hoopty trailers.
    For some reason, every other scene in a given episode involves the cast pointing sidearms at each other, unless it's the quasi-Ahsoka Tano-orange-with-white-markings Irisa,
    who pulls a knife. Every episode ends with a video montage song, or begins and ends with one, or begins with one that continues intermittently. The writers have killed off more
    characters than cholera; they've even killed one off, dropped him into a vat of acid, then had him come back to life only to be riddled with bullets and thrown off the Gateway Arch.

I can't wait for next season.

14. Kiki-Gonn

Kiki-Gonn Jedi Grand Master star 6

Feb 26, 2001

15. CT-867-5309

CT-867-5309 Chosen One star 7

Jan 5, 2011
    I watched three episodes, was fairly bored, the old lady pulling the strings looked like Lost style melodrama, so I bailed.

Hate watch avoided.