main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Defining Sequence of the Saga

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Master Salty, Feb 9, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I personally think the defining sequence of the saga is the sequence of events from the revelation to Luke that Vader is his father to Luke deciding to fall down the shaft. I have never believed the revelation was meant to be a surprise to the audience. I think when Lucas made that move he meant for that to be the defining sequence in the saga. At that moment, the entire galaxy hung in the balance. When Luke fell instead of joining Vader, that set the stage for the end of the Empire and Vader. We've been told the saga of Star Wars is about the rise, fall, and redemption of Anakin. If that's true, I think the redemption is the climax of the story (Anakin killing Palpatine). I see Luke learning the truth and choosing to fall instead of joining Vader, as the set up point for the redemption and the defining moment of the saga. A lot was riding on that decision by Luke.

2. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    I think the Throne Room Duel and the Emperor's subsequent attack on Luke are both the climax and the defining moment of the saga.

3. Darth_Sidious143

Darth_Sidious143 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 17, 2003
    You're right, Luke did make the most important dessision to not join Vader. It's almost as though withiut Luke, Anakin would have never full filled the prophecy by destroying Sidious. So therefore, it was the will of the Force that Luke resiste and he is kind of like Anakin defied the force and became Vader so the force changed that day to allow Luke help his fater go back on the light side and bring balance to the force.

4. AdamBertocci

AdamBertocci Manager Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 3, 2002
    I agree with everyone on this issue.

The entire point of the SW Saga (especially with the prequels these days!) is to highlight the differences between Luke and Anakin. If Anakin had been in Luke's place, he would have fought harder, got beaten up more, probably died at the other Sith's hands.

But Luke is not like Anakin, and he can throw down his sword and take the lightning.

Then we see that Luke was right about everything, including there being good in Vader yet. Blah blah blah.

WHOOOOO!!!!

Rick McCallum loves you!

5. NiktosRule

NiktosRule Jedi Padawan star 4

May 8, 2001
    I agree with the whole throne room sequence on the 2nd Death Star being the defining sequence of the saga. It is where Luke succeeds in the place his father failed. The Emperor then starts killing him only for Vader to redeem himself. It will forever be the most powerful scene in the saga.

6. Blast

Blast Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 8, 2002
    I would say the same as my fellow posters.The whole Emperor Throne Room sequence.

7. Luukeskywalker

Luukeskywalker Force Ghost star 5

Jun 23, 1999
    definetly the throne room sequence in rotj for me

8. The_Anakin_Wannabe

The_Anakin_Wannabe Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 21, 2003
    Lukes decision to jump on Bespin and the Throne Room are about equal to me. They are both at critical moments where the outcome is resting in Lukes hands.

9. Jude

Jude Jedi Youngling star 2

Jul 23, 2000
    Maybe it's just because I love the scene so much, but for me, the defining scene is when Luke surrenders to the Imperials and speaks with Vader before being brough to the Emperor. It's the first time when we truly have father and son interacting, and the first time that we see a hint of conflict in Vader.

10. OBI-GYN_Kenobi

OBI-GYN_Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 25, 2002
    To me, the defining moment happened in 1977 during STAR WARS when Vader went spinning off as Luke blew up the Death Star.

I said "Get ready for a sequel". :D

11. Shara_82

Shara_82 Administrator Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 10, 2001
    The throne room, without a doubt - from beginning to end, that's where the most important choices of the saga were made. Luke made his final decision not to join the darkside, and Anakin not only finally managed to redeem himself, he took Palpatine down with him.

12. Obi-Ewan

Obi-Ewan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 24, 2000
    I would say that it is Episode III. Anakin's turn to the darkside defines what Episodes IV V and VI will be like, but the birth of his children sets the stage for the end the Empire.

13. Lord_Volz

Lord_Volz Jedi Master star 2

May 23, 2002
    Vader revealing himself is the only scene anybody ever remembers. :p

14. Padawan915

Padawan915 Jedi Master star 6

Oct 1, 2002
    I agree with all assesments on saying that Luke falling down the shaft and the throne room.

However, I feel that there are still some vital sequences that have yet to be seen (i.e. Episode 3), but one defining sequence of the saga for me personally is the end of AOTC. From the lightsaber duel to the wedding, those events help put in motion all of the events that bring about what happens in the OT. The symbolism of Anakin's arm being chopped off, the takeoff of Palpatine's army, and the wedding all are vital to what happens further off. The arm showing Anakin's fall to machincal side, the beginning of the Empire, and the reason for Luke & Leia coming from. But that's just my little opinion though. :)

15. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    Have to agree with my man Salty. If not the key sequence, it is certainly "THE" most pivotal point of the movie, as all of Luke's preconceptions and beliefs are completely torn asunder. All of his goals and dreams change right at this point. (For the original OT fans, all of our preconceptions and beliefs were completely torn asunder as well.)

"Vader revealing himself is the only scene anybody ever remembers."

I hope you mean what I think you mean :D (ESB or ROTJ? [face_laugh] )

BTW, nice quote, great series! :)

16. Anakinisthechosenone

Anakinisthechosenone Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 4, 2003
    im agreeing w/ every1 else here.. the whole emperor throne room scene.. is def the most climatic in the whole saga.

17. Master Salty

Master Salty Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 18, 1999
    I think if Luke would've joined Anakin in ESB, the throne room scene still would've taken place. The difference being the Empire would've stayed around had Luke joined Vader. Palpy would've been destroyed either way.

18. HL&S

HL&S Magistrate Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 30, 2001
    The Emperor attacking Luke is it for me. But the moment is somewhat less of what it was since Tyranus used Lightning on Anakin. Then had it blocked with a lightsaber and Yoda.

19. MeBeJedi

MeBeJedi Force Ghost star 6

May 30, 2002
    "Palpy would've been destroyed either way."

Wouldn't that have been a hell of a fight, though. It would've blown TPM's Maul/Qui-gon/Obi-wan 3-way out of the water!

20. DAFT_VADER

DAFT_VADER Jedi Youngling

Nov 19, 2002
    For me the scene that was the most important was the one where Luke showed his character to be more than that of his fathers.

Unlike people here I tend to believe it was in Episode IV at the point where Luke walks out into the desert to gaze upon the sunrise. In this he is yearning to go out experience the adventure go where his heart sends. He however chooses to head back and follow the line of duty and work for his Uncle Owen, it is the point where he sucks up his personal goals and needs and puts them aside for someone else that really imprints his charater on the series for the first time. Clearly showing that he holds to a stronger code than Anakin ever did.

This has always been my favourite scene from the series it encapsulates everything about Luke in about 10 seconds of film.

21. Vaderbait

Vaderbait Jedi Knight star 6

Sep 26, 2001
    My God...another Salacious Crumb icon user! :( ;)
    ______

Defining sequence: Vader turning on the Emperor. Nothing stands out in my mind more than that moment.

22. YodaJediMaster12

YodaJediMaster12 Jedi Grand Master star 4

May 26, 2002
    In my mind, the defining sequence of the SW saga is the throne room scene from the point where Luke refuses to take his father's place at the Emperor's side to when Vader throws Palpy down the shaft. Luke was able to see what no one else could - that there was still good in his father - and how strongly he held to this belief was what ultimately allowed Vader to finally fulfill his prophecy as the Chosen One and bring balance to the Force.

23. Naccha

Naccha Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 1999
    Of course it's ROTJ...right when Vader looks down at his son frying on the floor and then turns to Palpy and lifts him up...<<chills>>

The ESB scene seems more of a pivotal point for Luke, it certainly was a temptation to join his father and then realizing the folly of what would happen if he did shows great strength of character. Well, I guess that is a great defining sequence too...hmmmm.

I also like the scene when Luke enters Jabba's palace. You can sense the power emitting from him. And you can tell that there is a huge difference in Luke from where we left him in ESB and his entrance in ROTJ. He has matured both in his Jedi skills and as a person.

It will be interesting to see what happens in ep.III with Anakin. What defining sequence will present itself for the PT. Though, I think in TPM, just Anakin's decision to leave his mother and start his training is probably one of the other defining sequences for the saga...who knew what would happen?

24. CoolyFett

CoolyFett Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 3, 2003
    Though, I think in TPM, just Anakin's decision to leave his mother and start his training is probably one of the other defining sequences for the saga...who knew what would happen?

I couldnt agree more there were a few defining sequences in ep1. the seen when anakin is with obiwan & quigon in front of the counsil, watch his face when Mace and yoda reject him that is a defining moment for the saga

25. PalpatineAntikristos

PalpatineAntikristos Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 6, 2002
    Sorry, wrong thread.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.