main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Defining Themes

Discussion in 'Star Wars And Film Music' started by Jarren_Lee-Saber, Mar 12, 2013.

1. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Jarren_Lee-Saber Jedi Grand Master star 4

Apr 16, 2008
    While all the Star Wars movies combine old themes with new themes, it seems each one has a particular theme that defines that film:

Star Wars Episode I - The Phantom Menace: Duel of Fates (Jedi vs Sith)
    Star Wars Episode II - Attack of the Clones: Across the Stars (Love Theme)
    Star Wars Episode III - Revenge of the Sith: Battle of the Heroes (Anakin vs Obi-Wan)
    Star Wars Episode IV - A New Hope: Star Wars Theme (Main Title)
    Star Wars Episode V - The Empire Strikes Back: The Imperial March (Darth Vader's Theme)
    Star Wars Episode VI - Return of the Jedi: ??? (??)

Anyone know what's the theme for Return of the Jedi??

2. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    Excellent question.

I've thought of this before, and I'd have to say the most notable track in ROTJ is Victory Celebration (Because Yub Nub never happened). It symbolizes the defeat of the Empire, the redemption of Anakin Skywalker, and balance finally being brought to the Force. Just the way I interpret it.

3. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Interesting! I think you're right that is the most notable theme in Jedi, though its a poor theme ending after five EPIC pieces!

4. DarthBoba

DarthBoba Manager Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 29, 2000
    Victory Celebration is epic in it's own melancholy happiness. A piece doesn't need to be balls to the wall loud to be 'epic'.

And anyway, The Dark Side Beckons is the most notable track in ROTJ. As well as all six films. :p

JediMaster_1977 likes this.
  5. CaptainHamYoyo

CaptainHamYoyo Jedi Master star 2

Aug 18, 2011
    Considering Victory Celebration happened 14 years after ROTJ's release, I would hope that's not its defining theme, lol.

For me, a defining theme is heard throughout that movie, and is in some cases carried over to the movies that follow. It's also usually featured in the end credits.

Now ROTJ defining theme isn't so easily defined. The recurring themes that were introduce in this movie:

The Emperor's Theme: it's an awesome theme, giving more eerieness to his evil. It's continued on to the prequels as his theme.

Jabba's Theme: It's reappeared in Episode 1 when he's at the Boonta Eve race. I think it might've returned with his Special Edition appearance in ANH, but can't remember for sure.

Luke and Leia: it's one of the 2 featured themes in the end credits. Hasn't appeared in any movie since(for good reason), might appear in the sequel trilogy?

Ewoks Theme: the other theme featured in the end credits, hasn't appeared in any following movies(since no Ewoks), most likely wont be there for the Sequel Trilogy either.

So I'd say it's between Luke and Leia, or the Emperor. I don't think either has had quite the effect on the Saga that the others (from the other movies) have had.

All of this is my opinion though, and seems most everyone else is agreeing about Victory Celebration, so what do I know, lol

6. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    can you post the youtube links to The Dark Side Beackons, Luke & Leia, and The Emperor's Theme?

7. Jarren_Lee-Saber

Apr 16, 2008
    Ok I think from my research, "The Emperor's Theme" is the the theme for Return of the Jedi

CaptainHamYoyo likes this.
  8. Jedi Gunny

Jedi Gunny Chosen One star 9

May 20, 2008
    I agree with that being the "theme" for Ep. VI. It's the first time the Emperor has a theme, and then it's used in the PT.

Jarren_Lee-Saber likes this.
  9. Seagoat

Seagoat Former Manager star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 25, 2013
    The Dark Side Beckons: (Starts at 1:13 I think)

Emperor's Theme: (Seems a bit... dark to be the defining theme of ROTJ imo)

Luke and Leia:

DarthBoba and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  10. JM_1977

JM_1977 Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 23, 2011
    Any of the themes give me goosebumps everytime I hear them :D