main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

"Defining Us" : An Sabewan Series Planning Thread (Link to Fic Is Up)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction and Writing Resource' started by AERYN_SUN, Apr 23, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AERYN_SUN

AERYN_SUN Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 1, 2001
    Okay, I stayed up last night writing for an hour working on a new chapter for my Jag/Jaina fanfic, 'I'd Miss You Still' when the summary for an Obi-Wan/Sabe fanfic hit me.

Summary: After an assasination attempt on Ambassador Sabe Maberrie, Obi-Wan is assigned to act as her bodyguard and the two of them rediscover their hidden past...

The time frame I'm looking at is pre-Episode II, maybe 2-3 before. Jazzy Jedi, if you'll help on this, it would be greatly appreciated.

Also, I don't have a definite title either, so suggestions for that are welcome.

This fic will be a novella. It should not be paralle to aotc, even though it's cannon.

~aeryn

2. JazzyJedi

JazzyJedi Jedi Youngling star 3

Jul 7, 2000
    Why, thanks for asking! You flatter me! :)

The idea sounds quite interesting. Let me know how I can help.

3. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    This is my first Sabewan series. I just need ideas. The summary is there, just ideas. And a good title, too.

Somehow, I want Padme to be the one that urges Sabe to have Obi-Wan as her body guard. Less Anakin, too in the story. He could be mentioned in passing, but I want it to mainly be about Obi-Wan/Sabe.

~aeryn

4. KrystalBlaze

KrystalBlaze Jedi Master star 5

Aug 3, 2002
    That sounds like a really, really, really good fic. Let me know if you need help or when you get the first chapter up. It sounds really good.

5. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    I've never written a full length Sabewan series before. Please people work with me! I need ideas for what could happen.

~aeryn

6. Hananiah

Hananiah Jedi Master star 4

Jan 15, 2003

This sounds soo good I want in, I have loads of ideas and since you are such a good writer I'm sure You'll bring them to life.
    I was just wondering some things

Timeframe: How long will Obi Wan be protecting Sabe?
    Characterization: Unlike P/A, S/O aren't gonna go straight into a romance it's not in them like that, so would a renewed friendship lead to something more. I like the idea about the hints from Padme,should they have ppl around them telling them that they should/shouldn't be together.
    Will Obi Wan go against the council (I hope so, I would love a scene where Obi Wan just told them he loved Sabe and told them where to stick it, but this is Obi so maybe I shouldn't hold my breath)
    Maybe Sabe has a painful family secret she's been hiding from Obi Wan, that will make protecting her harder and their relationship strained or easier.
    As you can see I have ALOT of ideas PM or just respond to this message if you want me to go into any more detail or have any more ideas because I have loads.

7. ForceAchtungBaby

ForceAchtungBaby Jedi Master star 4

Jul 18, 2002
    New Sabewan! Most excellent. Let me know if I can help you in anyway Aeryn!

8. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    Unlike P/A, S/O aren't gonna go straight into a romance it's not in them like that, so would a renewed friendship lead to something more.

I agree, Han. Sabe won't admit she has feelings for him right away; it would be something she'd realize over time.

Will Obi Wan go against the council (I hope so, I would love a scene where Obi Wan just told them he loved Sabe and told them where to stick it, but this is Obi so maybe I shouldn't hold my breath)

Hmm, it is a bit out of character for Obi-Wan to tell the Council off, but I like the idea.

Maybe Sabe has a painful family secret she's been hiding from Obi Wan, that will make protecting her harder and their relationship strained or easier.

What do you have in mind?

Character wise, I came up with this. Since it's 2-3 years before Aotc, I was thinking about what Obi-Wan should look like. Should be starting to grow a beard, goatee maybe or clean shaven, so his first kiss with sabe isn't so sloppy?

Timeline wise, since it's 2-3 yrs. before, Padme would still be a senator, right? or maybe just starting her term? would she still have the same handmaidens as she did in episode ii? she'll only have a brief cameo, so i don't think it really matters.
    ~aeryn

9. Hananiah

Jan 15, 2003

I agree with you on all points on the Obi Wan beard thing I would go for clean shaven I know he's trying to look older but it just doesn't look *right* I was thinking about Sabe's secret.
    Maybe a family one
    An illness
    Okay this is going to sound weird but I was watching girl interrupted last night so I figured Sabe had been captured while protecting Padme and tortured when she returned no one believed what she saw and put her in a mental hospital for a year once she quit talking about it they let her out and maybe Obi Wan could be the only one believing her and that brought them closer anyway I have loads more ideas.

10. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    mental illness? hmm. sabe doesn't strike me as the type that would have mental illness in the family.

but i still need a reason why she would be targeted for assassination attempts. remember guys, it's 2-3 yrs. before aotc, so we can't say it's because of the military creation act :D

also, i'd like to report 2 good things: one, i finally settled on a title and two, i wrote up a chapter excerpt yesterday (sabe & padme, padme trying to convince sabe she needs a bodyguard, and sabe, well, being stubborn.) it's short, but it's good.

~aeryn

11. Hananiah

Jan 15, 2003

Maybe Sabe is against something not the Military creation act but something else that she belives in that is dangerous to the trade federation or some other large group and they want to get rid of her. Maybe about some of the planets leaving the republic or something like that.

12. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    Story wise, this is what will happen:

--Novella (1 chapter=5)
    --Should not mirror Attack of the Clones (as it is 2-3 yrs. before)
    --No Anakin/Padme romance, to remain cannon.
    --Padme should have a very small role; no Anakin, only mentioned in passing.

..and the chapter excerpt. it's short, i know but i wrote it up real quickly on my e-mail.

Sabe rolled her eyes as Padme rambled on and on about how she needed an experienced bodyguard. This had been the "x" assassination attempt, as a former bodyguard herself, Sabe felt having someone else watch her was overkill to the say least.

"Sabe, are you listening to me?" Padme questioned her friend.

She shrugged and smiled, "Yes, your highness,"

Padme laughed and gave her a look. It had been 5 years since she left office as the Queen of Naboo, but still, whenever the two of them were alone together, nothing really changed between them. They were still close friends, almost sisters.

"You're overreacting, Padme," Sabe assured her, "I don't need a bodyguard,"

"Yes, you do!" she cried, "I know you think you can handle anything, but this is one situation, Sabe, you can't handle on your own," She paused, thinking about possible candidates. "I know you won't let one of my handmaidens hover over you, mostly because they're too overprotective like me. So, we'll have to go with someone else. Someone we're both familiar with and trust..."

Immediately, Sabe started to protest again but she backed down upon seeing the look on her friend's face. Padme smiled and snapped her fingers, "A Jedi Master..."

Sabe's mouth dropped, "A Jedi Master? Now, that's overkill. Asking a Jedi to guard me, that's basically saying the situation is very serious and I can't handle it on my own,"

"That's why you came to me, right? To ask for my advice? And it is a serious situation, Sabe. I'll have to see who's available, and then I'll get back to you."

Sabe didn't say anything else, but managed a weak smile, "Thank you again, Padme."

Padme smiled and hugged her friend, "Don't worry, Sabe. Everything will be all right," As Padme let go of her friend, Sabe drew her hood again and left the apartment. Padme went to her computer counsel and connected to the Jedi Council. "Hello Master Windu, I need to ask you a really big favor...Is Knight Kenobi around?"

Also, I drafted up another chapter. A small conversation, part or what was talked about b/t Padme/Master Windu, but I don't think I'm going to use it. There's another scene after that, between Mace/Obi-Wan and a 16 yr. Anakin.

~aeryn

13. bobilll

bobilll Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 8, 2002
    just popped my head in to solve my curiousity. I like the plot idea. The only thing is, it's kinda wierd that a bodyguard needs a bodyguard. Maybe if Sabé was injured in some way, and couldn't defend herself...

I'll duck out now.

14. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    sabe is not a bodyguard anymore. she's an ambassador. sabe's just too stubborn to allow anyone else to protect her, except herself.

~aeryn

15. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    But her skills are still there. Why would she need a body guard if she knows how to be one?

Or has her skills detiorated over the years?

16. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    there have been 3 assasination attempts, each time hitting very close.

bobill, help me out here. calling my whole plot into question :( bottom line, sabe won't admit she needs protection from someone else other than herself because she's so stubborn.

~aeryn

17. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    calling my whole plot into question

I'm not trying to dismiss the plot. It's a cool way to have Sabé and Obi-Wan fall in love by being bodyguard and Ambassoder. I just think there should be more of a reason why Sabé would need Obi-Wan there. The three assassination attempts... How did Sabé avoid them? Did she fight back? Possibly get hurt? And how close are the assassination attempts to her life? Are they using the Force to try to kill her? Because then I could really see Obi-Wan needed.

I like the plot a lot, I just think you could add even more to it.

18. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    Up to the third, Sabe's been through a lot of denial she has needed help. How she avoided the other ones? Hmm, I haven't really thought about that but it's probably more along the lines of decoys acting as her.

~aeryn

19. bobilll

Aug 8, 2002
    A former decoy using a decoy... that's a cool twist! So I take it the decoy business isn't working? Is that why Obi-Wan is needed?

20. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    Yes bobill.

~aeryn

21. AngelQueen

AngelQueen Jedi Master star 4

Mar 1, 2001
    *comes in and looks around* Sweet! A new Sabewan series! *cheers*

Ideas... hmmm... Perhaps this could be a bit of a prelude to AotC. The TF is out to kill Sabé for two reasons:

1. She was the decoy for Padmé, who has always been a serious thorn in their sides. Therefore, this could also be partially about revenge. Sabé played a vital role in bringing Nute Gunray down on Naboo (making him think that he had a mere handmaiden in custody when he really did have the Queen), so naturally they'd hate her.

2. Perhaps she is the Ambassador to Corellia or some other major planet (Chandrilla, Alderaan, etc.). There is talk of regulating several agricultural shipments in a different pattern. It will not include Naboo in this, as well as several other worlds, and she is spearheading an effort to get them included as well so they will not do without the exported supplies that they still desperately need. But in reality, the TF is behind this regulating thing and they're trying to weaken several worlds so that they might be in a position to take over. As Sabé has become widely known in many diplomatic circles, many are beginning to listen to her. So the TF (perhaps Dooku and Palpy could be involved somehow) decides to get rid of her.

Okay, you need a reason for Anakin to be away from Obi-Wan. Anakin's first solo mission isn't until he's assigned to protect Padmé in AotC. Maybe Yoda decides that he wants Anakin to stick close to the Temple for several tests or something. So Obi-Wan alone is assigned to protect Sabé.

BTW, is this going to be a happy ending, or a sad one? I have a few ideas for going in either direction, but I thought I'd ask first.

AQ

22. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    you need a reason for Anakin to be away from Obi-Wan. Anakin's first solo mission isn't until he's assigned to protect Padmé in AotC.

Got it covered :D I already have Master Windu and Master Yoda oversee Ani's training, which will include tests and lots of lectures.

The Trade Federation and Sabe? I forgot about the TF, but i'm not sure if I want them to the ones behind the plot.

~aeryn

23. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    Up!

~aeryn

24. lt_ketch09

lt_ketch09 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    Ooh this looks interesting. I'm anxious to see where this is going. It's not often that we get Sabe in EPII related fics (usually their TPM) and no offence but I'm a little TPM'ed out right now.

So I hope to see more of this in the future.

UP! :D[face_love][face_blush]

25. AERYN_SUN

Apr 1, 2001
    I haven't been able to get to writing for awhile, espicially 'Defining Us'. I've been just so busy.

~aeryn

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.