main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Definitive stance on bootlegs.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by durden21, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. durden21

durden21 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2001
    I aware of the PSA's ban of the AOTC bootleg and all related material but I was wondering is that a board wide ban?

I ask because while the PSA is relativly bootleg free I've seen it and screen captures of scenes popping up more and more often in other forums.

So can we just not post screen caps in the PSA or....

2. Dark_Lord_Erik

Dark_Lord_Erik Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 19, 2001
    Yes, it's a site wide ban.

Absolutely no bootlegs.

Erik

3. Darth_Dagsy

Darth_Dagsy Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 18, 2000
    Yes. As Erik said, it is site wide. Bootlegs are illegal, and for TF.N to be seen allowing advertising would make them accomplices to breaking the law.

As you would imagine, it therefore isnt in TF.Ns best interest to allow advertising or trading of bootlegs anywhere on the site.

4. Red_Oktobur

Red_Oktobur Jedi Knight star 6

Dec 7, 2001
    uh.......

what they said

;)

5. chitwood

chitwood TheForce.Net co-owner star 4 VIP

May 12, 1999
    I can't believe how quickly it spread. I have friends in backwater places that saw the movie the Monday before it came out.

Wow.

Josh

6. Padme Bra

Padme Bra Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 2, 1999
    There'd be little point in banning it from one forum and allowing it in another. The bootleg thing sucks. I'm sure it's hurting the grosses.

7. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    I hate to say this, and I'm probably going to get yelled at by you guys, but I almost wish that someone would make another, better bootleg. I've had people that saw it tell me how horrible the movie looks after seeing only the crappy bootleg.

8. weezer

weezer Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 16, 2001
    Thats why if I had one I wouldn't let my friends see it until after they saw it in theaters. :p

9. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    "Yes, it's a site wide ban. Absolutely no bootlegs."

...Except in Mod Squad, of course.

10. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    I sincerely hope that you can back that up BYOB. Because if you know where they are posted in Mod Squad, I'd like to know so that I can remove them like I do everywhere else.

And yes, the policy is board wide. So if there are any links lying around, PM a mod and we will take care of it.

11. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Of course I can't back it up. I don't have access to Mod Squad. But I saw some archives on another site somewhere a few months ago. The site no longer exists, it seems.

12. jedi-mind-trick

jedi-mind-trick VIP star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 6, 2001
    I ask because while the PSA is relativly bootleg free I've seen it and screen captures of scenes popping up more and more often in other forums.

No Bootlegs. Period. And if you see screen caps in other forums, please contact a mod so that they can be removed. Thanks! :D

13. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    ^ and PM the poster telling them to go see the film and give GL their money rather than leeching off of the Flanneled One. :D

14. BYOB_Kenobi

Dec 7, 2000
    Riiiight. Because Lucas is really strapped for cash right now.

15. keokiswahine

keokiswahine Jedi Knight star 5

Sep 4, 2000
    it boils down to ownership rights. LFL owns it; we don't want to be shut down. We respect their requests.

16. KaaShamau

KaaShamau Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 15, 2000
  17. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Perhaps you were linking to a thread that was deleted? I believe I know what you're talking about.

[image=http://www.boomspeed.com/canoli42/mylordisthislegal.jpg]

Oh, yes, no illegal materials or bootlegs around. And mods and members are ALL subjected to the same rules... there's no double standard at this place! None at all. Mods here don't start threads asking for things, and then use their powers to delete them, when ordinary members would get it closed/deleted without an answer, and given a warning.

Am I missing something here? Some rule that doesn't make any sense.

And don't tell me it's a valid reason for asking for the info. Had I started that thread and stated that reason for wanting the info, you wouldn't believe me and you wouldn't care.

18. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    Veni, Vedi, Vici.

Not looking good for our modly friend in that screen-capture.

19. Jayk-Moonstray

Jayk-Moonstray Jedi Youngling star 1

May 2, 2002
    What about non-Star Wars bootlegging? Is that allowed?

20. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    If you're a moderator, apparently, YOU CAN!

Feel free to PM Lord Bane about becoming one yourself. About 8 pm's a day asking for mod priveleges will definitely put you on the top his "I RESPECT THESE PEOPLE" list.

21. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    But not above Richard Nixon. His tricky tactics and deceit earn him a special place on Lord Ban's list!

22. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Hm. AOTC VIsual Dictionary Scans were readily available to mods and regular users in the Official AOTC Pics thread and there was no stamping out that little bit of piracy. We allowed it; The Staff allowed it. We did not host the images, just paroused them.

And we let everyone who wanted to enjoy them, plus scans from the Art of..., the Picturebook and something else, but I don't remember. YodaoftheSith scanned a bunch of things for dp's site and we linked to them without hesitation.

How did Mar do anything bad except post a redundant thread?

There are no video bootlegs allowed, no video bootleg images allowed. Scans can be linked to from books, as they have been in the past, but we do not support piracy of the actual movie. It's an odd line, but one that has been there for, oh, about four years now.

23. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    I think Lord Ban needs to take a page out of his favorite president's book and start talking about his dog.

Please begin, Ban.

24. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    You guys realize that the Visual Dictionary scans aren't illeagal right? That they were scanned and hosted all over the web, by TF.N also. They're perfectly leagl and okeyday to have. Just remember that tidbit before you light up your torches.

The reason the thread was deleted was probably because Mar got her answer and got rid of the thread to keep the clutter down.

OH NO! People are asking for legal material! HEEEEEEEEEEELP!

25. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Good deal, DDH.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.