main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Definitive stance on bootlegs.

Discussion in 'Communications' started by durden21, May 25, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    *puts torch away*

How are they legal, by the way?

2. legacyAccount

legacyAccount Jedi Youngling

May 22, 2012
    again, i'll delete this thing as soon as i have an answer

does the "again" mean that she's done this before?

3. Dan

Dan Jedi Grand Master star 6

Mar 15, 1999
    Visual dictionary scns aren't illegal? I don't claim to be an expert on copyright info, but I find it extremely hard to believe. And Ban just said it was piracy.

Either way, I was wrong. But it's a dumb rule.

Now excuse me while I go ask for a pirated version of GTA3 in the games forum!

4. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Just imagine some fine print in the copyright information of all LucasFilm books that no one can see...

5. Darth Dark Helmet

Darth Dark Helmet Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 27, 1999
    Visual dictionary scns aren't illegal?

If they were, then we wouldn't be able to any sort of picture from anywhere.

No screen caps from video games, no pics from magazines, nothing. All that is done the same way as the Visual dictionary pics. They bought the book, scanned the pics and posted them. The same thing people did with every Star Wars insider magazine that's been released that contained an epII picture.

6. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    Yeah, she's asking for scans of the entire book. That's, like, dude, stealing it.

7. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Yeah, technically, but not the same way as the bootleg movies were. The movies were never bought, they were just stolen and sent out. PLus, as I said, its something that the JC and TF.N has been doing for a long time. Whenever the Star Wars Insider magazine would come out, someone would get it, scan all the pictures, send them out to TF.N and the other sites, then post them at the JC. LFL never said a peep about that and they never said anything when the same thing was done with Visual Dictionary, the Cross Sections, the Children's Book, the comics, and every other piece of literature that contained pictures.

Its no more legal the downloading MP3s from Kaazaa and all those fun places, and LFL has never cared. They cared when the movie itself started popping up, and that's a much bigger issue then a few pictures.

8. Lord Bane

Lord Bane Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 26, 1999
    Exactly.

9. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    All right, I see.

So right now, I'll go take this GTA3 (which I bought, so it's okay!!!), and use WinRAR and break it down into smaller pieces. And since it's in smaller pieces (like pages from a book!!!), and not the complete game (like a complete visual dictionary!!!) until whoever I send it to puts them all together with WinRAR again, then it's prefectly fine. I DEMAND we institue this policy in Games!

Anyway, just kidding. I just want to give people hell after a rough night. I do think a mod could really set a better example, but I didn't know about this rule before, so I was stupid in bringing it up.

BTW, our friendly neighborhood TOS says: User agrees not to post any material that is protected by copyright, trademark or other proprietary right without the express permission of the owner(s) of said copyright, trademark or other proprietary right. Is it copyrighted? YES. Do you have express permission? NO. HAH! Take that jedi dogs.

I'm a bit ti[psey.

10. toochilled

toochilled Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 17, 2000
    What's a bootleg ?????

11. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    the part of a boot above the instep

12. Ben Kenobi

Ben Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 27, 2000
    DaN, cn yuo send me teh hax0red GAT 3??// tnks bye

13. Jedi Bib

Jedi Bib Jedi Grand Master star 6

Apr 16, 2000
    Did I miss the fight already?

Nuts.

Well.... uhh... Lord Ban is really quite a jerk. So there! HA!

;)

14. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    FYI, you are legally allowed to copy up to 10% or approximately one chapter of any printed book for personal use.

Now, giving someone a scan of a pic or page of a book is legal. Passing around a copy of a movie that was illegally filmed, or pictures thereof, isn't.

15. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    That was a very boring post, Kadue. Liven it up a little bit...

16. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    but getting the entire thing scanned?

17. Kadue

Kadue Jedi Knight star 5

Jun 20, 2000
    The whole book would be considered a little much.

And Bib, you try when it takes 5 minutes to load each page because your roomie is dling a program. Really not worth being on at the moment.

18. legacyAccount

May 22, 2012
    k. because mar17swgirl was asking for all scans of the visual dictionary...

19. Jedi Bib

Apr 16, 2000
    KAdue, that's no excuse for boring copyright laws.

20. Insane Anakin

Insane Anakin Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 12, 1999
    I am forced to agree.

21. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    So you guys are saying that a few months ago when you were trading around the Mystery trailer (which was specifically made for DVD-ROM owners only) in the Mod Squad forum, that you were wrong and legally accountable for doing so?

I just want to make sure I understand you correctly. [face_plain]

22. Dan

Mar 15, 1999
    That GTA3 analogy was pretty damn good. It owned everyone.

Lord Ban, Checkers please.

23. BYOB_Kenobi

BYOB_Kenobi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 7, 2000
    Dan, you rock.

24. Bryan1138

Bryan1138 Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 15, 2002
    I know I'm coming in here late, but it looks to me like I'm missing something. In several of my RPG books, and various textbooks, any page that that is allowable for copying has a "Permission Granted to Copy for Personal Use" tag at the bottom of the page. Seeing that, I wonder if only marked pages have permission (I'm pretty sure about the 10% rule, I've heard of that before I came to this thread)

Also, as far as software copying goes: In the End User Liscense Agreement of any software, it specifically states that the owner is allowed to make one copy of the disk as a back-up. Now, if I let a friend borrow my back-up copy of Jedi Outcast and he makes a copy, there's nothing I can do about it so long as he doesn't tell me.

As for bootlegs, I've gotta admit that anything copyrighted should be banned from the boards. Oh, and about music: it is not illegal to make copies of any music CD or cassette you buy, so long as you do not sell them for a profit- Get a transcript of the Napster inquiry, and you'll see what I'm talking about

25. Darth Dark Helmet

Dec 27, 1999
    Since I've been here in March, do you guys know how many things I've downloaded from the Mod Squad, that have not been posted in other areas?

Zero. Not a damned thing. I never saw a peep of the bootleg, nothing.

So, BYOB, you can continue on this little crusade of yours, not only if you post actual proof. If you have no proof, then please, feel free to stop.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.