main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Delayed Gratification (AU AOTC, A/P, Obi) [Author's Notes/Announcement 01/04/04]

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Peregrine7, Oct 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CrystalKenobi

CrystalKenobi Jedi Master star 4

Jul 31, 2003
    Oh my, you have put some of my thoughts on paper. I had often thought what if Obiwan would call Anakin by his name instead of Padwan all the time. The part about conflict of emotions, how its the conflict not the emotions that is of the darkside, about physical side of love, yes that was good I had often thought somebody should have written that down for jedi to learn from, I just can't imagine Yoda trying to explain that. Although come to think of it, that would be a very funny little story. In stead of yoda being green he would be red. [face_laugh] Oops off topic, back to topic. I can't wait to see how papatine reacts also. Well as I said before you got my thoughts on paper, which only goes to show what a great author you are being able to read minds etc. The force is strong with you. :D

Hope this makes some sense. Trying to listen to tech support music at the same time and all.

2. Reihla

Reihla Jedi Master star 3

May 17, 2002
    I agree Anakin's fear of loss is one of the driving forces in his life. In fact, I mentioned that in my own story a while back.

In the OT Yoda spends so much time telling Luke the cycle of anger, fear and aggression that understanding it must be critical to a Jedi's process of maturing. I think both Obi-Wan and the Council could have benefitted from a little perceptiveness about Anakin's fears. Then, maybe, they could have shown him how to handle the emotional turmoil they gave rise to.

Hm. A whole scene with Anakin and the Chancellor. That should be intense and educational. ;)

3. JediKlea

JediKlea Jedi Youngling star 3

Jun 19, 2002
    Wow, very intreresting turn of events, can't wait to see Ani and the chancllor!

4. PadmeSolo

PadmeSolo Jedi Padawan star 4

Jul 3, 2002
    Wowness. You've really done something with this and I'm glad. From the first line of your story I was hooked, which is awsome. You write extremely well. Only a few times did I have to go back and read something over again to make some sense out of it. Anyways... I'm really amazed. You're doing some good work here. Would you like any more feedback, or is my extremely high praise acceptable? ;)

_PSK_

5. Peregrine7

Peregrine7 Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 7, 2003
    Thanks to all!

CrystalKenobi

I can't wait to see how papatine reacts also. Well as I said before you got my thoughts on paper, which only goes to show what a great author you are being able to read minds etc. The force is strong with you.

As a good friend of mine often says, "Great minds think like me...". :D

Reihla

I think both Obi-Wan and the Council could have benefitted from a little perceptiveness about Anakin's fears. Then, maybe, they could have shown him how to handle the emotional turmoil they gave rise to.

They lacked a bit of perspective. In a sense, Anakin was too old - too old for the Jedi to be able to teach, not too old to learn. He had too much experience outside the near-monastic environment of the Order for their teaching methods to be as effective for him as they were for the 'conventionally' trained Padawans.

Hm. A whole scene with Anakin and the Chancellor. That should be intense and educational.

JediKlea

...can't wait to see Ani and the chancllor!

It's a key scene... one that will determine the direction of the story thereafter.

PadmeSolo

Would you like any more feedback, or is my extremely high praise acceptable?

Don't sugarcoat it... tell us what you really think. :D

Seriously, check the PM I sent you. Thanks!

And to all, I appreciate your patience. The story is threatening to run away with me, and I don't want it to get completely out of control. As soon as I can get a handle on a couple of details, the next scene will be forthcoming soonest.

6. _across-the-stars_

_across-the-stars_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2003
    Peregrine, this is very good!

I'm impressed by your general approach to this idea. I especially liked Obi-Wan's change of heart.

"...failure does not lie in falling, but in not getting back up again."

That line grabbed my attention. It reminds me of a saying I learned long ago... "Success is getting up just one more time than you fall down."

Anyways, I guess that line just characterizes the 'new' Obi-Wan.

Oo, and the bit about Palpatine... *shiver* Don't go to him, Ani!

~ats~

7. PadmeSolo

Jul 3, 2002
    Oh... but that was what I really think. Seriously. Creativity is beautiful. ;)

_PSK_

8. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    In a sense, Anakin was too old - too old for the Jedi to be able to teach, not too old to learn.

I agree. In fact, it has always bothered me that The Chosen One wasn't given a bit more special attention than he was. I know not all the Jedi agreed with Qui-Gon about Anakin being the child of the prophecy, however, you would think on the off chance that he was they would have given him some special training or something. I think perhaps Anakin was just living down to their expectations. Kids have a way of doing that.

9. Peregrine7

Oct 7, 2003
    _across-the-stars_

Peregrine, this is very good!

Thanks!

I'm impressed by your general approach to this idea. I especially liked Obi-Wan's change of heart.

"...failure does not lie in falling, but in not getting back up again."

That line grabbed my attention. It reminds me of a saying I learned long ago... "Success is getting up just one more time than you fall down."

Anyways, I guess that line just characterizes the 'new' Obi-Wan.

Nothing like a new philosophy to cause a change of heart.

Oo, and the bit about Palpatine... *shiver* Don't go to him, Ani!

It has to be done - for more reasons than one...

PadmeSolo

Oh... but that was what I really think. Seriously. Creativity is beautiful.

Uh. Me make story. You like. Egoboo me. :)

Reihla

...I think perhaps Anakin was just living down to their expectations. Kids have a way of doing that.

That's likely a large part of it. There may have been a bit of 'we expect him to fail, but we'll keep him close so we can deal with him when he does' going on.

And, without further ado...

The meal passed quietly. The Chancellor ate moderately, and Anakin followed suit. There was minimal conversation, largely centered on the recent Battle of Geonosis, the bulk of which was the Chancellor's expressions of pleasure at the performance of the clones.

After the meal, the Chancellor brought the subject around to Anakin himself. "So, how did the Council view the results of your first mission?"

"They haven't said anything," Anakin related. "I only discussed it with Master Obi-Wan last night, and I haven't been summoned to the Council yet."

"Oh? And what was your esteemed Master's perspective?" If there was any sarcasm in the Chancellor 's voice, Anakin could barely detect it.

"He said that the mission was a qualified success, because, even though I made some mistakes, Senator Amidala is still alive."

"What mistakes did he say that you made?" Again, the faintest hint of disapproval.

"Actually, he asked me what I thought they were."

The Chancellor's eyebrows went up in slight surprise. "Really. And what did you tell him?"

"That I should have stayed on Naboo, instead of going to Geonosis." Anakin decided to omit his side trek to Tatooine. "I shouldn't have allowed the Senator to go in harm's way."

"Did you really have a choice?" Palpatine asked. "Were you really capable of preventing Senator Amidala from going to the rescue of someone as dear to her as Master Kenobi?"

Anakin shrugged. "You have a point. Still, it was my responsibility to keep her safe."

"Yes, and you did the best you could under the circumstances - you stayed with her and protected her while she carried out her own choices. No, Anakin, that was not a mistake. I'm sure the Council will see it that way."

"Perhaps," Anakin said, a bit uncomfortable.

"Is there something wrong?" the Chancellor asked, noticing Anakin's discomfort.

"Well, not wrong, just uncomfortable."

"What is it? Something I can help with, perhaps?"

Anakin sighed. "Not help with, just... something I hope you will understand."

"I've offered you my understanding before, haven't I?" the Chancellor reminded him.

"Yes, you have. And that has meant a greal deal to me, I want to assure you."

"So what is it that you hope I will understand?"

"Well... I think I owe you an apology."

"An apology?" He seemed genuinely surprised, something Anakin had never seen before from the always-in-control Supreme Chancellor Palpatine.

"Yes. I've been using you."

"Using me?" Chancellor Palpatine seemed genuinely perplexed. "In what way?"

"Whenever things between Master Obi-Wan and me weren't going like I wanted them to, I've come running to you to get you to say what I wanted to hear. That was very selfish of me, because I was using you to rebel against what Master Obi-Wan was trying to teach me."

"I see. Anakin, I have always tried to be your friend. You needed a different perspective on your life,

10. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    He thought for a moment, and then a contemplative, satisfied smile spread across his face.

I don't like that at all. Nope I don't like that at all. He is up to some evil for sure. I hope what I'm thing he is going to do is not what he is going to do. But I have a feeling that he has some plans for Kenobi that Anakin is not going to like at all. :D

11. PadmeSolo

Jul 3, 2002
    Okay, that was very well done. The perfect path to take. ;)

_PSK_

12. _across-the-stars_

_across-the-stars_ Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 14, 2003
    Ah, well done. I particularly liked how Palpatine recognized that his hold on Anakin was slipping. One thing I hate about him, at least in the OT, is that he is over-confident.

Oh no, he's happy at the end. That can't be good!

~ats~

13. JediKlea

Jun 19, 2002
    definantly up to no good...More soon!

14. Peregrine7

Oct 7, 2003
    upping so I can find it later

15. Peregrine7

Oct 7, 2003
    CrystalKenobi

He thought for a moment, and then a contemplative, satisfied smile spread across his face.

I don't like that at all. Nope I don't like that at all. He is up to some evil for sure. I hope what I'm thing he is going to do is not what he is going to do. But I have a feeling that he has some plans for Kenobi that Anakin is not going to like at all.

Whenever Palpatine is thinking, and likes what he is thinking, no one is safe, even if the danger is not readily apparent...

PadmeSolo

Thank you. The story still goes where I had planned, but the motivations are a bit different...

_across-the-stars_

Ah, well done. I particularly liked how Palpatine recognized that his hold on Anakin was slipping. One thing I hate about him, at least in the OT, is that he is over-confident.

To quote Mark Twain (or was it Will Rogers?) "It ain't braggin' if ya done it." Palpatine in the OT isn't overconfident, he is precisely confident, because he has accomplished his goals of creating and ruling the Empire. He has every reason to believe that his plan (in ROTJ) to crush the Rebellion once and for all will succeed. Because it would have, had Luke Skywalker not had enough faith to try and reach his father, and had Anakin Skywalker not honored the memory of his beloved Padme and saved their son.

Oh no, he's happy at the end. That can't be good!

With him, it never is...

JediKlea

definantly up to no good...More soon!

Sorry about the delay. I knew where I wanted to go, but didn't discipline myself to write until today.

Anakin's breathing slowed and steadied as he slipped into a meditative trance. Opening his mind, he allowed Master Obi-Wan to enter.

OK. Master Obi-Wan thought to him. What I want you to do is to go back to Tatooine. I will go with you. Go back to the Tusken camp. Go back to the dwelling where you found your mother. Go back to her...

Anakin found himself easily reliving that nightmare. He held his mother in his arms, sensing through the Force the ebbing and final extinguishing of her life. He felt the anger building, the absolute primal rage against an uncaring universe that would take his mother from him at the very instant that he found her again. His rage settled on a target, someone whom he could hold responsible - Obi-Wan - no, the Tuskens, they did this to her. He exploded out of the dwelling, killing the two Tuskens who stood guard outside.

But the feelings were different. He no longer felt his own rage. Instead, he felt pain, and fear. Anakin realized with shock that what he was experiencing now was the Tuskens' own feelings when he, like an angel of death, swept into their lives and destroyed them utterly. Unable to stop his reliving of those events, he felt each and every Tusken's pain and fear, for themselves and for each other, men for their women, women for their children, and the children's uncomprehension of what was happening to them.

Finally, it was over. Anakin had relived it all, and came out of his meditative trance sobbing. "I- I never knew, never thought..."

Obi-Wan held Anakin close. "That was the influence of the Dark Side, Anakin. Ultimately, the Dark Side is selfish. Only our feelings matter, only our experiences matter. Everyone else is defined by how they relate to us, and have no value outside of ourselves."

Anakin gained some measure of self-control, though tears continued to stream down his face. "I understand now. Jedi have to always keep in mind the others' perspective, their loves, their place in the universe, things that may well have nothing whatsoever to do with us."

Obi-Wan released Anakin. "Exactly. What the Tuskens did to your mother was cruel, Anakin. By any objective standard, it was completely wrong. We don't know enough about their ways to understand why they did it, or what role it played in their culture. But vengeance is not the Jedi way. Sometimes we are charged with dealing justice, but that is a different matter entirel

16. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Master Kenobi," the messenger said, "you and your Padawan are summoned to the Council now. Why does that scare me.

I like how Obiwan realizes he was wrong about the dream and tells Anakin so and says he is sorry.

17. _3MD_PsychoSniper

_3MD_PsychoSniper Jedi Youngling star 4

Oct 25, 2003
    FRIFF YOU!!!!!

I wanted more but it ended!!!!

post more soon!!!

keep up the good work

18. PadmeSolo

Jul 3, 2002
    Good job... I can't wait to see how events play out. I rather like your character interactions between Anakin and Obi-Wan. The Master is finally being listened to.

_PSK_

19. NinjaSkywalker

NinjaSkywalker Jedi Youngling star 1

Oct 12, 2003
    I love this story! Great job. I have always thought that the stories should contain more wisdom and philosophy. And this one definitely encompasses both.

Matt

20. JediKlea

Jun 19, 2002
    Aw! That's so nifty!!! Love the realization moment...

21. Peregrine7

Oct 7, 2003
    CrystalKenobi

I like how Obiwan realizes he was wrong about the dream and tells Anakin so and says he is sorry.

Anakin isn't the only one doing some growing here!

_3MD_PsychoSniper

I wanted more but it ended!!!!

post more soon!!!

keep up the good work

First rule of show business: "Always leave 'em wanting more."

And thanks!

PadmeSolo

Good job... I can't wait to see how events play out. I rather like your character interactions between Anakin and Obi-Wan. The Master is finally being listened to.

Thanks.

That's because the Padawan is finally being listened to, and seen for who he is. Here, at least, Obi-Wan is still relearning the lesson Qui-Gon tried to teach him: be mindful of the present. See what is in front of you, and around you. Pay attention to what is, instead of just focusing on what might be.

Anakin, of course, gets full credit for responding to Obi-Wan's new approach. Obi-Wan finally reached him, and he chose to respond positively.

Of course, subsequent events may well influence matters...

NinjaSkywalker

I love this story! Great job. I have always thought that the stories should contain more wisdom and philosophy. And this one definitely encompasses both.

Thanks!

I agree. The wisdom and philosophy of the Jedi is an often-overlooked aspect to the Star Wars saga, especially in fanfic, so much of which focuses on romance (not that it's a bad thing; I'm just sayin', is all). And since I see growing up as the process of acquiring wisdom, I believe that it is as much a part of becoming a Jedi Knight as understanding of the Force or skill with a lightsaber.

And, boasting a bit, in the Clone Wars cartoon, Obi-Wan tells Anakin: "Your skills were never in doubt. It is your maturity that is in question." (Not an exact quote, but it conveys the point.)

JediKlea

Aw! That's so nifty!!! Love the realization moment...

It is precisely that sympathy for others that is a key characteristic of the Jedi, and the lack thereof that is a key characteristic of the Dark Side.

Without further ado...

A short one, and intentionally so.

Obi-Wan and Anakin entered the Council chambers with reverent silence. Outwardly, each man was calm and collected. Inwardly, each was buring with curiosity at this unexpected summons.

"Master Kenobi," Master Windu began without preamble. "Have you or your Padawan had any communication with the Supreme Chancellor since our return from Geonosis?"

"No, Master," Obi-Wan replied with surprise. Beside him, Anakin flushed with discomfort, his head lowered in respect.

"An unexpected request, the Chancellor has made," Master Yoda spoke up. "Your Padawan, he desires, as his personal aide and bodyguard." Anakin's head lifted at this, and a thousand thoughts came to his mind at one time.

"He believes that, with war underway, he would be a logical target for the Separatists," Master Windu continued. "And with at least one darksider on their side, he feels that having a Jedi on his staff would be of great benefit."

"But wouldn't a Jedi Knight be more appropriate than a Padawan?" Master Kenobi asked.

"Suggested that very thing, we did," Master Yoda answered him. "The Chancellor believes that your Padawan is sufficiently skilled for the assignment, and that more experienced Jedi should be available for the fighting." Master Yoda bent his head, his displeasure with sending Jedi onto the battlefield plain.

"The Council has decided to grant the Chancellor's request. Beginning tomorrow morning, your Padawan is to report to the Supreme Chancellor's office for duty." Master Windu said matter-of-factly.

"Is his training to continue?" Obi-Wan was visibly upset, and had to use effort to calm himself. Anakin was less successful in regaining his calm, and his emotions showed clearly on his face.

"Yes. Aware, the Chancellor is, that your Padawan's training will require much of his time, and that his Trials will take him away for a ti

22. CrystalKenobi

Jul 31, 2003
    Oh no you left me with another clifhanger. :_| But thats what I like. :D Now what is that council thinking in letting Anakin go to paps. and now I have to wonder what the council wants to talk with my obiwan about.

23. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    Oh good. This means more interaction between Anakin and Palpatine. That's a relationship I've always wanted to explore in more detail. Pretty cagey of him requesting a bodyguard when we know he's powerful enough to defend himself from just about anything. Guess he's looking for ways to keep Anakin close.

24. Peregrine7

Oct 7, 2003
    CrystalKenobi

Oh no you left me with another clifhanger. But thats what I like. Now what is that council thinking in letting Anakin go to paps. and now I have to wonder what the council wants to talk with my obiwan about.

I like cliffhangers. (That's why some of my posts are shorter than others.) They leave my (few, but loyal) readers wanting more.

And you'll get a hint of what the Council talked to Obi-Wan about here, with more to come.

Reihla

Oh good. This means more interaction between Anakin and Palpatine. That's a relationship I've always wanted to explore in more detail. Pretty cagey of him requesting a bodyguard when we know he's powerful enough to defend himself from just about anything. Guess he's looking for ways to keep Anakin close.

You got it in one. We know how important Anakin is to Palpatine's ultimate plans. He's not going to let a case of sudden lucidity on Obi-Wan's part jeopardize that.

And so, on with the show.

Anakin was completely unable to calm his tumultuous emotions. From guilt at not telling his Master about his meeting with the Chancellor (despite the fact that he never had before, he felt that he should now, because the new tone of his relationship with Master Obi-Wan made Anakin want to be more open with his Master), to a mix of emotions about the Chancellor's requesting him as a personal aide, to worry at what the Council was discussing with Master Obi-Wan.

Anakin's thoughts were shattered by the opening of the door to the Council chambers. It startled him partly because he had been lost in his own thoughts and partly because the door was automatic - he never thought that it was possible for it to slam open!

Master Obi-Wan came striding through the open portal and passed Anakin by without breaking stride. Accustomed to modifying his own stride to avoid outpacing his shorter Master, Anakin found himself almost running to catch and keep up.

"Master, what-" Obi-Wan cut him off with a finger placed to his own lips and maintained his pace, Anakin's Jedi senses detecting anger coming from his Master. Anakin stayed with him as they left the Jedi Temple and entered the streets of Coruscant. Obi-Wan neither broke stride nor spoke a word as he headed directly toward a decrepit eatery of chrome and glass. Dexter's Diner, the sign on the building read.

Anakin noted that this was obviously not his Master's first visit to the establishment, given the hearty welcome the proprietor of the establishment gave. "Obi-Wan," the four-armed alien crowed. "Back again so soon?"

"I need a private room, Dex, someplace where my companion and I can talk unobserved," Master Obi-wan said without preamble. Anakin concluded that this must be the Dexter for whom the diner was named.

"Sure thing; follow me." Dex led the two through the diner's surprisingly clean kitchen to a nondescript room in the back. "Here ya go, old buddy. Scanned it this morning."

"Thanks, Dex," Obi-Wan said, a hint of gratitude escaping from the clipped tone of his voice.

"If ya need anything, let me know. I'll be out here." He indicated the kitchen with a thrust of his thumb.

"We'll be fine, Dex." Obi-Wan closed the door and turned to face Anakin. "Sit," he said in a tone that brooked no discussion. Anakin sat.

Obi-Wan did the same, and for long moments neither one spoke. Anger continued to roll off of Obi-Wan in waves, and Anakin thought he could detect a hint of darkness beginning to creep into his Master.

"Master, what-" For the second time, Obi-Wan cut him off.

"I am no longer your Master, Anakin."

Yet again, Anakin found himself at a loss for words and sewpt away in confusion. "What? How, I mean..." HIs voice trailed off.

Obi-Wan's face hardened further, something Anakin wouldn't have thought possible. "Anakin, I have left the Jedi Order."

A short one again. OK, here's a teaser...

His words to Padme on the subject of politics, uttered half in jest, echoed in his mind. Then they should be made to. A

25. Reihla

May 17, 2002
    "Anakin, I have left the Jedi Order."

Oh, now that's just cold! Leaving us after dropping a bomb like that! I hope you're coming back soon to shed some light on this :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.