main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Delete Account or Change Username

Discussion in 'Communications' started by MattG728, Aug 14, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MattG728

MattG728 Jedi Youngling

Aug 21, 2008
    Hi!

I need to delete my account, and since members cant do it themselves is there anyway you can do this for me? If not can you at least change my username. If you have to change it then change it to Starkiller728. If you can delete it I will really appreciate it!

Thanks for the time

2. Harpua

Harpua Chosen One star 9

Mar 12, 2005
    This gets asked almost weekly... they can't delete your account. Just start a new one and don't log on with this one again... problem solved.

3. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    As Harpuah said, we can't delete or rename accounts. You can start a new one if you want, though.

4. Bluebies

Bluebies Jedi Youngling

May 26, 2005
    Just out of curiosity, mostly because as Harps correctly pointed out, it's a question that is often asked, will the inability to delete or change the username of an account be a possibility once we've moved from IGN to the new host?

5. LAJ_FETT

LAJ_FETT Tech Admin (2007-2023) - She Held Us Together star 10 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

May 25, 2002
    I believe vBulletin does allow admins to change usernames. However, I think we will have to look at the implications of doing this in relation to the database. I would think we'd take username changes on a case-by-case basis.

6. AaylaSecurOWNED

AaylaSecurOWNED Jedi Master star 6

May 19, 2005
    Well, technically, we already have the ability to change usernames. Ask Gandolf/Gandalf/Raven ;) so changing them on a case-by-case basis after the move just means that everything will stay exactly the same.

7. DarthTunick

DarthTunick SFTC VII + Deadpool BOFF star 10 VIP - Game Host

Nov 26, 2000
    I believe RMCOY is another example of that as well, Dani.

Back-to-Back!: 2008-2009 & 2009-2010 L.A. Lakers: World Champions:cool:

8. Rogue...Jedi

Rogue...Jedi Administrator Emeritus star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 12, 2000
    Not exactly. Gandolf/Gandalf and RMC(OY)'s names were changed by zerosleep/IGN. As far as I know, admins here have never had the ability to do that - only IGN. IGN hasn't had the time or inclination to do anything along those lines for a while now, which is part of what's leading up to our upcoming move.

After the move, we should have the ability to change things ourselves, but as LAJ said, it will probably be a case by case basis, and likely something that's still pretty rare. We haven't talked about it much, though, so we'll see.

9. Brandon Rhea

Brandon Rhea Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jun 26, 2004
    vBulletin has that ability in the Admin Control Panel. It recommends, though, that you only do it if there's a really good/legitimate reason, not just "I don't like this name anymore, please change it to ________" or whatever. People should be reminded to think long and hard about what they want their user name to be because, contingent on whatever policy the MS makes, odds are it'll stay that way.

The Admin CP also allows you to delete accounts. Doing so changes the name on all of that user's posts to Guest, or something like that.

Oh and hi and stuff. :D

10. DarthAttorney

DarthAttorney Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 8, 2000
    Also, I registered the username "Starkiller728" back in 2004.
    Sorry.

11. LAJ_FETT

May 25, 2002
    Spamvertiser post removed. Didn't want the thread getting lost.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.