main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Deleted dialogue lines from ESB

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by DarkVictory, Mar 1, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DarkVictory

DarkVictory Jedi Youngling

Jan 19, 2005
    Okay, call me crazy, but did GL delete lines from the scene on Dagobah when the swamp monster swallows and spits out R2D2? I seem to recall that when Luke picks R2 up, he says something along the lines of, "You're lucky you don't taste very good!" Has this occured in any of the other movies in the OT DVD's?

2. Kyle Katarn

Kyle Katarn Force Ghost star 6

Jul 10, 1998
    Yeah, I remember the "taste very good" line. I believe I may have a VHS copy with the line still there. No idea why Lucas changed it.

3. Snaggleass

Snaggleass Jedi Youngling star 2

Oct 6, 2004
    YEAH IT'S DELETED.

4. The2ndQuest

The2ndQuest Tri-Mod With a Mouth star 10 Staff Member Manager

Jan 27, 2000
    There were multiple audio masters made for the film, some of these had minor dialogue differences between them. The original video transfers were made from one master. When they remixed the sound for the SE, they used a higher quality master that was different from the one used for the videos. These changes held over for the DVD versions too.

The lines changed in ESB:

-Han's line "'till I get the shelter up" changes to "'till I get the shelter built" (i might have those reversed, I can never remember which goes where)

-Different voice announces "The first transport is away" (sounds like a Burtt-to-Hamil change)

-"There's nowhere to go!" is added to 3PO's "This is suicide!" line

-"You're lucky you don't taste very good" reverts back to the line of dialogue actually spoken on set, "You were lucky to get outta there".

-A different voice demands "Who are you?!" to 3PO before blasting him on Cloud City. It has gone from a gruffer voice to the current goofy-sounding voice.

-Vader's line "Bring my shuttle" was replaced with "Alert my Star Destroyer..." to account for the added scenes.

And, now, of course, Boba Fett's voice has been replaced with Jango's on the DVD and given a less threatening, more casual performance for some reason.

>>Has this occured in any of the other movies in the OT DVD's?<<

"Close the blast doors!" was added back into ANH, along with a "he's on your tail!" during the yavin battle (but the latter was removed for the DVD, as I recall), i think that's the only dialogue changes for ANH (a word from Han was muted during the Greedo scene in the SE but restored for the DVD)

Han's "it's alright, trust me!" over the sarlacc was replaced with "it's alright, I can see alot better now..."

5. Jedi_Ford_Prefect

Jedi_Ford_Prefect Jedi Master star 4

Jun 9, 2003
    Don't forget Threepio's new line in the Sandcrawler: "We've stopped!"

There's also some debate as to exactly how much of his "Tractor Beam" speech on the Death Star was originally in ANH.

6. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    There's also some debate as to exactly how much of his "Tractor Beam" speech on the Death Star was originally in ANH.

I have two different versions of this, one where Goldenrod keeps his mouth shut while the schematics are being displayed, and another where he is describing how to disable the tractor beam. I don't recall which VHS version has the silent part.

7. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    The THX "faces" version lacked the tractor beam line, IIRC.

8. KMG-365

KMG-365 Jedi Youngling star 1

Feb 11, 2005
    I think the widescreen collector's edition (the first time they were released in widescreen) had them omitted, too.

9. The2ndQuest

Jan 27, 2000
    I'll double check that, but I think it was still there.

10. SITHlover

SITHlover Jedi Youngling star 2

Nov 30, 2002
    Even during the tractor beam speach from 3PO you can hear the difference in his voice half way through, like it was added to the film at a later time or something, it's so obvious when you notice it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.