main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

ST Deleted Scenes and Script Evolution

Discussion in 'Sequel Trilogy' started by AdamDemamp, Dec 21, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    I don't know. I don't relaly like that theme as it undercuts what we were told when they deleted Darth Bane and Darth Revan from Mortis and The Son was more powerful than Anakin once at peak strenght and without The Father around to act as the Fulcrum(which would've been Anakin's duty). Yoda also acknowledged his own dark side, so Luke was not the first. Plus Jinn, Yoda and Kenobi and Anakin's "good side" are still around(presumably), surely they could combat and control Anakin's "dark side". Moreover one can argue perhaps Snoke is Sidious using some vessel body, you open a door with the spirit stuff(especially as we know Talzin was and Sidious were allies and swapping knowledge and wisdom). I also get a Flynn vs Clu vibe from the good Anakin and bad Anakin. Clu was an extension of Flynn and he destroyed Clu by embracing and merging. We saw that kinda theme a few times in movies and cartoons.

2. Jcuk

Jcuk Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 16, 2013
    I tend to go with Yoda's explanation of the nature of the Force in ESB. It surrounds everyone and everything, life creates it. So no matter what Han thought. As a living, sentient being?..the Force resided within him. But Those select few who were born strong with the Force were extremely rare. Han's attunement was mediocre at best. Way I see it :)

AdamDemamp likes this.
  3. Vorax

Vorax Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 10, 2014
    Also Yoda was pulling in his own dark side into in a near manner identical to Flynn and Clu, cept Yoda brings in Dark Yoda and disintegrates the apparition rather than Flynn and Clu having a full embrace and turning into a big nuke-like explosion and disintegrating himself in the process.

4. a2dmusic

a2dmusic Jedi Master star 4

Mar 4, 2001
    "In my experience, there's no such thing as luck."

(i.e. it's the Force)

Strongbow likes this.
  5. AdamDemamp

AdamDemamp Jedi Knight star 3

Apr 8, 2015

It looked like it the first time I saw it, but the other three times I went looking for it, and the only thing that happens is he gets a big gash and loses part of his cape. Those prosthetics are a little too extreme for Kylo at this stage.

cwustudent likes this.
  6. AdamDemamp

Apr 8, 2015
    Forsure. It's a journey that started in the 70s!

7. AdamDemamp

Apr 8, 2015

I've heard lots of rumblings that Carrie Fischer was as much as nightmare to work with today as she was in the 80s, and that he character had to scaled back, as well as Rain Johnson being instructed to keep her role in Episode 8 as small as possible.

8. DD-1110

DD-1110 Jedi Padawan star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    I think that's almost implied when Han explains to Finn, 'That's not how the Force works!' I found this line even more telling than 'It's real, all of it.'

Jakku Sun Aesthetic likes this.
  9. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    It was shot.

10. The Legions of Lettow

The Legions of Lettow Jedi Master star 5

Oct 14, 2015
    Wow! That was slopping typing on my iPhone and no editing. Should be

"to show how the content changed"

AOTC was and still is a success"

11. OZQUAD44

OZQUAD44 Jedi Knight star 1

Dec 20, 2015
    I wondered about this. I was so happy to see Carrie on screen again after such a long time, but her performance appeared to be very muted. I think the cut flattered Carrie, as it should have, but it's clear her range is not as broad as it could be.

I hope this is not the last we see of Carrie, but I think she needs to work hard to stay off the cutting room floor

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

12. AdamDemamp

Apr 8, 2015

On my fourth viewing (my last) I noticed how little dialogue she has. She has less than 20 lines total in the final cut, and a lot of her interactions with other characters involved another actor, usual Harrison Ford doing most of the talking while she responds with body language or single words/phrases. The big one that stood out to me was the long reintroduction Han had with her, and all she says is "same jacket", but he talks so much you barely notice this first time around.

I doubt it's the last we'll see of Carrie, but her role was substantially longer in the original cut/early drafts (her interaction with Maz, the Sledgehammer, her meeting with the Senate) and I imagine the trimmed version we saw about the same size of her future appearances.

13. whostheBossk

whostheBossk Force Ghost star 4

Apr 16, 2002
    Im really looking forward to the extended battle on Starkiller with the Snowtroopers and speeders chasing Rey and Finn. Also black Stormtroopers on speeder bikes like the action figures? Of course any added content to Reys vision is the most anticipated. Just hoping for something better than AOTC's raid on droid control ship cut scene.

14. JabbatheHumanBeing

JabbatheHumanBeing Jedi Grand Master star 6

Jul 14, 2015
    It was shot. We've actually seen one still from this sequence showing snow troopers on the Falcon. Really wanted to see that as well.

15. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

Regardless of ones opinion about Carrie's performance, there's no credible source for this idea that her role was cut down and will be further cut; the only cut we know of was the choice to introduce her later, which makes sense as a storytelling decision (again, not talking about whether you agree or not, just that the cutting of that scene is more plausibly pacing than performance related)

It's at risk of becoming accepted wisdom, without there being anything at all to support it. She was never going to be a lead in the ST.

16. StoneRiver

StoneRiver Force Ghost star 4

Oct 6, 2004
    People mentioning "The Sledgehammer". I forgot all about that. That would have made a nice addition, and add some difference, to the whole SKB part of the film. Both sides with a superweapon. The moral choices about whether to actually use it. Bla bla bla.

What was the array too? Wasn't Hux rumoured to use the array to take ALL of the ships in a dogfight, including the FO ships? That could have been fun too.

17. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    True, but it seems she may have been a problem when shooting the movie. I sell my art at comic cons around the country and got to be at two that she was appearing at. Indiana went smooth but Tampa Bay was a mess. She was either high or on something (or very hungover). This was August 2015. She was almost a no show on Sunday that the promotor was freaking out. They announced they would stop selling autograph and photo tickets. When she showed up hours late, they said they were still not going to sell any new tickets and just make sure everyone who was still waiting the day before would get what they paid for. I saw her at one point and she was pretty messed up looking. Just my two cents. The woman is (in her own words) a life long addict. So, to hear she may have had issues on the set is not surprising.

Of course, based off of events that I have seen personally or have been an extended party to. I hope to see her have a nice role in the next movie.

18. Darth PJ

Darth PJ Force Ghost star 6

Jul 31, 2013
    I certainly believe she'll have a smaller role in Ep VIII, but that's no big thing as her role in TFA was extremely peripheral (so I'd imagine the overall story doesn't need her). I've met Carrie a couple of times and she has a singular wit and intelligence. However, as much as I like Carrie personally, I'm not sure she has the same on screen charisma as Ford and I don't think there's much benefit in increasing her role... unless there were compelling story reasons, which I don't think there are.

19. Oissan

Oissan Chosen One star 7

Mar 9, 2001
    That sounds like mere speculation to me, not something anyone should indulge in. There is zero reason to suspect that there were any troubles with her.

It's not like an appearance at a con says much at all. Everyone can have a bad day or have been sick recently. I saw Billy Dee Williams back in 2004, it was like listening to a 90 year old with dementia, his agent (or whatever his role has to be called) pretty much had to carry the show. If that had been his normal shape, there would have been no way he would have done any work afterwards. Ten years later and he's still doing tv-shows and movies, and he's had multiple appearances in which he looked fresh and active, like his usual self. If you compare those appearances - and he's almost 80 now - with this one evening from his late 60s, and the difference is like night and day. In other words: everyone can be off sometime, especially when you get older. That doesn't mean that such a day is the norm, nor can you infer anything out of this about possible problems while shooting.

20. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    The "Kylo onboard the MF" scene was shot (there's BTS photos of him maskless with some Snowtroopers flanking him and everything floating around).

There was also a scene involving Rey and Finn involved in a speeder chase on SKB (before they go to the Oscillator), which also might have actually shown Finn giving her his jacket (since she's just sort of wearing already when we see her next). There's photos of that as well.

The "Chewie ripping Unkar Platt's arms off" scene was also shot (according to Daisy Ridley).

And of course the shot of Kylo igniting his lightsaber in the dark, snowy forest from the trailers is also not in the actual film, etc.

21. ObiAlKenobi

ObiAlKenobi Jedi Knight star 3

Mar 10, 2012
    i would not classify it as "Mere" speculation. More like speculation with an eye witness account/s of myself and others I trust lol. And I did not even add to when I met her at Celebration. A mess. But, like I said….my two cents. I was not present nor do I know anyone present on the set of the movie :)

22. CEB

CEB Force Ghost star 5

Dec 3, 2014

But it is mere speculation; Carrie Fisher's issues are well documented, and so anecdotal evidence that at times she has been erratic are not evidence that A: she was erratic on set and B: that as a result, she will have a reduced role from what it might otherwise have been.

Personally, I think the fact that Carrie Fisher was heavily involved in promo for the film, and was funny and likeable in her appearances suggests that she hasn't made enemies with the production team. Again, there's no evidence to support it - it's just an unsourced rumour that sounds right to some people. It's worth dismissing it at this stage.

23. Darth Nave

Darth Nave Jedi Master star 4

Dec 27, 2015
    If Carrie Fisher's role in the movie was cut down due to her being difficult to work with, than that's unfortunate. I would really like to see those deleted Senate scenes sometime. Also, didn't Colin Trevorrow say that he wanted to give her a bigger role in Episode IX?

24. Thrawn082

Thrawn082 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 11, 2014
    He said that he wanted to give both her and Mark Hamill bigger roles in Episode IX.

nightangel and Darth Nave like this.
  25. gezvader28

gezvader28 Chosen One star 6

Mar 22, 2003
    at what point would this happen ?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.