main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

CT Deleted scenes that should be in the films

Discussion in 'Classic Trilogy' started by Darth DoJ, Mar 15, 2016.

1. Darth DoJ

Darth DoJ Jedi Padawan star 1

Mar 13, 2016
    Personally I think that the scene where Luke built the lightsaber in the cave should have been included, even if the rest of that scene (Vader communicating with him, the droids chatting etc) was shaved off, I think that would have improved the movie a little, to see the lightsaber being adjusted and tested before the battle.

Some of the Biggs scene too, "Biggs was right, I'll never get out of here" doesn't really make sense to casual viewers without it. It would have made their rebellion reunion and his death emotional, too.

2. Lt. Hija

Lt. Hija Jedi Master star 4

Dec 8, 2015
    But the lightsaber building scene would have destroyed the element of surprise, i.e. that Artoo had it in him all that time. There would have been no tension as the audience would have known that Luke would use his lightsaber at the Great Pit of Carcoon.

Regarding the Anchorhead scenes, I tend to agree. "Who the hell is Biggs" was probably the original audience's reaction.

But since Lucas apparently no longer felt the need to keep the pace in the Special Edition (e.g. Vader's shuttle landing aboard Executor in ESB), he really could have re-inserted the Luke-Biggs scenes in Anchorhead, too

SateleNovelist11 likes this.
  3. Bob the X-Winger

Bob the X-Winger Jedi Knight star 3

Jan 8, 2016
    I have been examining this for a couple of days and I can say there are three scenes from each movie I would include.

A New Hope I would include the scene with Luke & Biggs talking at the end.

Empire Strikes Back the scene in which the Wampa breaks into Echo Base attacks the Rebels and ultimately kicked.

Return of the Jedi the scene with Admiral Jerjerrod in the control centre of the Death Star.

Vader fan 99 and Force Smuggler like this.
  4. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    In TPM, I wouldn't have cut anything with Maul, or from the Podrace. I would have kept the birds scene from the Neimoidian ship.

In AotC, I would have kept the scene with Mace and Obi-Wan, as Obi-Wan leaves Coruscant (and subsequently cut the scene of Obi-Wan, Mace, and Yoda talking where they essentially say the same things). I would have kept the Naboo Villa scenes, except for the one where Padme shows Anakin her room like an awkward school girl talking to her crush. I would have kept the scene where Dooku tries negotiating with Padme, asking for Naboo to join the Separatists. I also would have kept Padme's deleted Senate scene. Those were some great Padme moments. Finally, I would have included the space battle from Geonosis.

In RotJ I would have reinserted everything except the disguised Clone troopers and both of Shaak Ti's death scenes.

The scene from ANH with Luke, Biggs, and the Tosche Station. I know it ruins Luke's intro, but I those scenes have a lot of good dialogue in them.

In ESB, I'd included the extra training scenes from Dagobah, and the extra repairs scenes from the Millennium Falcon

In RotJ, I'd have included Jerjerrod's Conflict with blowing up Endor, and the extended scene of Han and the Rebels infiltrating the shield generator.

5. Darth DoJ

Mar 13, 2016
    In TPM I'd have included the footage of Quigon slicing the probe droid with his saber; without that, the running scene before the first fight with Maul makes no sense. I wonder why they cut that, and since Lucas replaced a few cut scenes into the DVD cut, I wonder why he didn't include that, it was literally like 3 seconds of footage that made all the difference.

Sarge and Force Smuggler like this.
  6. solo77

solo77 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 28, 2002
    Take your PT love elsewhere! :p

7. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    Birds scene? Could you elaborate?

8. Tolvo

Tolvo Jedi Padawan star 1

Nov 28, 2014
    Check this out if you haven't seen it yet.

9. CT1138

CT1138 Jedi Master star 4

Sep 4, 2013
    When Qui-Gon and Obi-Wan are led into the Trade Federation Conference Room at the beginning of the movie, there are some kind of exotic bird-like creatures singing in a cage near the door. When the Jedi notice the room is filling with deadly gas, the birds drop dead in their cage as a visual cue that the gas coming from the vents is poison.

darskpine10 likes this.
  10. SateleNovelist11

SateleNovelist11 Force Ghost star 6

Jan 10, 2015

I pretty much agree with all of this. But I prefer the notion that Galen Marek killed Shaak Ti. It shows how lost he was before he found himself. I'm mainly an advocate for reinstating all the ANH deleted scenes and TESB's novelization training scenes on Dagobah. Couldn't agree more with you about Jerjerrod's reluctance to blow up Endor. It goes to show that not most Imperial officers, while brutal and ruthless, were human and didn't want to kill their own troops. I doubt that all of them took pleasure in destroying their enemies, either.

Dinos4Ever likes this.
  11. Darth DoJ

Mar 13, 2016
    It sucks how Biggs got killed in ep 4.

12. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015

I agree. When you read that EU story about his father, you get the sense that Biggs could have been a wonderful character for both the films and the EU. I guess they tried to make up for that mistake with Wedge, especially in the EU. Maybe Poe in the sequel trilogy is filling a similar role.

13. SensationalSean

SensationalSean Jedi Master star 3

Dec 19, 2014

It'd be nice to get Biggs' story in a novel, to see how he influenced Luke as they grew up and who recruited him into the Alliance.

The Biggs scene is good, but it's too long and messes up ANH's flow.

Jerjerrod's Conflict is probably the best deleted scene to reinsert, since it makes an Imperial seem sympathetic.

DavidSword79 likes this.
  14. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016

It seems i'm alone in wishing they kept the scene with the Wampa breaking and entering Echo Base.

Darth DoJ likes this.
  15. DavidSword79

DavidSword79 Jedi Knight star 3

Dec 27, 2015
    It's just clunkily shot, the animatronic Wampas don't work well and aren't convincing, and the whole subplot weights down the first act of the movie. What would be the point of extending the masterful first 40 minutes of TESB by three or four minutes with hot, Rebel-on-Wampa action? I just don't see them having much dramatic potential beyond "RRAAAAH! We is monsters! You scared now!"

PymParticles and Sarge like this.
  16. Bob the X-Winger

Jan 8, 2016
    The Rebels were under threat by an outside force other than the Empire. It would also explain in the story how the Rebels were surprised by the probe the Empire sent believing that the real enemy was the environment and the creatures lurking on the Planet. Han reports back to Echo Base that the probe is not organic. This remark is direct reference to the Wampa creatures living on the planet.

17. Avnar

Avnar Force Ghost star 4

Sep 20, 2007
    The Biggs scene
    Luke assembling his lightsaber
    Sandstorm!

18. black_saber

black_saber Force Ghost star 5

Apr 4, 2002
    I think the classic trilogy is fine the way it is, but some of the deleted scenes from the prequels should of been in the movies. Especially from Revenge of the sit but Shaak tes death could be fine as deleted scene.

19. SateleNovelist11

Jan 10, 2015
    Good choices.

20. Blur

Blur Jedi Grand Master star 4

Aug 11, 1999
    In most cases, deleted scenes in films are edited out for a reason. I.e., they ruin the "pacing" of the film; they interfere with keeping the film under a certain running time, etc.

In the case of the OT, I do feel that some of the scenes were cut for good reason:

1) The entire deleted Biggs scene from ANH (on Tattoine) would definitely have marred the pacing of the film. Since the Tattoine sequences are somewhat "slow" anyway (in many scenes), I don't feel it would have been a good idea to have included this. I also think that this scene was less-than-flattering for Luke; since most of his friends were making fun of him for claiming he saw the battle in space (it did happen, but they didn't believe it), it was better being cut.

2) I also agree that the ESB Hoth scene when the Wampas attacked the Rebel base (not completely filmed anyway, IIRC) was better off left on the cutting room floor; this subplot with the Wampas wouldn't have added too much to film, especially since the Rebels had to worry about an Imperial attack at the same time.

That being said, there were also several scenes/sequences that it would have been cool to see in the films:

1) In the ANH Special Edition (1997), they did insert the scene when Luke & Biggs met on the Rebel base, right before attacking the Death Star. However, they still cut the line when Red Leader?! mentioned that he had met Luke's father when he was younger, and that he was a good pilot. It would have been interesting to have kept this in - not sure why this line was cut...

2) The ROTJ scene where Luke is making the lightsaber & putting it into R2-D2 (which, if included, would have been one of the first scenes in the film). Of course, if this had been included in the film we would have known ahead of time that R2 was carrying the lightsaber, thereby giving away/telegraphing the later scene when he ejected it towards Luke during the Sail Barge/Sarlaac battle.

3) The ESB scene when the Stormtroopers caught up with Lobot on Cloud City was interesting (first seen on the deleted scenes in the SW Saga Blu ray set from 2011). Though there wasn't much of a follow-up re: this scene, it was nice to see a little more of Cloud City here.

4) I'm a huge fan of the Cantina scene in ANH, all of the aliens, etc. This remains one of my favorite scenes in any film, not just the SW movies. So, as such I would have really liked to have seen more of the cantina & aliens - there were quite a few deleted scenes from the Blu-ray set that did not make it into ANH. These weren't that long, and would have been cool to have seen in the finished film.

21. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Wish they could have had Wampa's in the Battle of Hoth.
    A mini-episode following a Wampa subplot before the movie could be fun.

22. CarboniteSolo

CarboniteSolo Jedi Knight star 3

Oct 11, 2013
    Why don't they reshoot some of these scenes, like the hoth scenes with the snow monster. I know it don't make sense, and would be worthless, but to see some of these scenes shot in 2016-17 and incorporated into a film in 1980, would be cool to see. Some of these scenes didn't make it into the film, because the effects were really bad, like the snow monster. But, since we have better technology, why not take 6-8 men in Hoth uniforms and a rebuild a small icy hoth set to accommodate a monster around 9 feet tall. Anthony Daniels is still around and bring in R2 and you can shoot this.

You can do this for a few scenes that were cut, but not all of them.

I do wish they would have kept the RotJ Sandstorm scene though, that scene I liked, too bad they didn't finish the ADR for that scene.