main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Deleted scenes you wish had been kept

Discussion in 'Star Wars Saga In-Depth' started by Darth Heisenberg, Jun 25, 2014.

1. Alexrd

Alexrd Chosen One star 6

Jul 7, 2009
    His voice was never recorded (he didn't need to be filmed).

I was actually hoping ever since Liam Neeson returned to play Qui-Gon in The Clone Wars (3rd season), he would record his line for the Blu-ray release as well... Oh well...

Jarren_Lee-Saber and SlashMan like this.
  2. WriterMan

WriterMan Jedi Master star 4

Nov 26, 2012
    I feel like Padme's scenes in the latter two films were basically stripped away from her, which is sad given that Natalie is the best actress in the saga. Those scenes in ROTS with her being involved in the creation of the Rebellion are absolutely necessary. They provide her with an internal conflict as she's deciding if she can actually go through with it. The removal of her family from AOTC is pretty sad too, given that most people don't even realize that it's her parents that are at her funeral in ROTS.

3. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000

What. [face_plain]

4. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012
    Her performance may not be too stellar in ROTS (somewhat like Carrie Fisher's in ROTJ) but Natalie has had much more staying power and success as an actress (in comparison with Carrie).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Darth Basin and Jarren_Lee-Saber like this.
  5. Yanksfan

Yanksfan Force Ghost star 5

Nov 3, 2000
    I'm not questioning her ability as an actress in other films. But in the PT? Um…and even though I interpreted your remark to not be gender-specific, I would still argue with it. I admit, Carrie dropped the ball a few times in ROTJ. But she shows more emotion watching the shield doors close on Hoth, than Natalie does in the entire PT. And that wasn't even her strongest scene in that film (nor does she even speak a word). I don't know, I'm sorry, I just find Natalie absolutely cringe-worthy throughout the whole thing. But I think I've done enough derailing of this thread already.

AndyLGR and Sarge like this.
  6. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    You know, for being shot entirely with pickups, I can honestly say I was fooled. Would you believe that it wasn't even Mark Hamill? I didn't (he even had the same chin). I believe he was an ILM cast member, but I'd have to dig to find the name.

I never thought about the meaning behind the color before, but all that totally makes sense. Despite the fact that it simply changed to blue/green = good, red = bad, it certainly wasn't fully known at the time. With a blue lightsaber, I could see the confusion, but the green worked best. To really drive it home, there was the scene of Vader inspecting the lightsaber. Anyways, I love the impact of seeing the new saber ignited for the first time right in the knick of time. Works best for me.

Attack of the Clones had the most, so I'll bring that up for now. I'd like to see the original idea for Anakin and Padme's landing in place of the droid factory scene. I believe they were simply taken by Jango Fett. 3PO and R2 stay onboard, similar to how they stuck together on the Death Star. Despite taking away an action scene, I think this is good for two reasons; the droids are not seen. The Jedi team assembled by Mace only expect to be facing Geonosians, but the factory scene makes it obvious that the droids will be functional and used later. Also, cutting an action scene isn't bad in this case; it simply puts more focus on the Battle of Geonosis... more on that later.

Next, the trial of Padme and Anakin. Personally, I slightly prefer Dooku's talk with Obi-Wan, but I think the trial scene is the only one that makes logical sense with the previous scene reverted. Plus, this is the only time where Jango is wearing that cool poncho.:p

Finally, the raid on the droid control ship is one of my favorite. Another great tie-in with the previous film, it shows the Jedi have a clear plan, and a group are going for the droids' weakness; their control ship. Ki Adi Mundi and Plo Koon lead a team to take it out. There's actually some impressive work by Silas Carson here. Next, the fact that the droids are independent shows the Trade Federation actually learned from their mistakes. One of Lucas' regrets was not expanding upon the secondary Jedi introduced in The Phantom Menace. I believe this would've helped.

Eternal_Jedi and Iron_lord like this.
  7. The_Phantom_Calamari

The_Phantom_Calamari Force Ghost star 5

Nov 10, 2011

I'd miss the droid factory scene. It's a very metaphorical sequence full of some nice foreshadowing for both Anakin and the galaxy at large. We have a warrior monk and a politician caught in a chaotic, mechanical nightmare, frantically scrambling from one setpiece to the next, escaping one danger only to stumble headlong into an even greater one. Anakin ends up partially encased in the metallic shell of a battle droid, while Padme winds up trapped in a literal crucible where she's about to be melted down to become part of yet another mechanical mockery of humanity.

Threepio's Kafkaesque adventure in the factory is also indispensable, IMO. It really drives home the disorienting, nightmarish, ego-corrupting nature of automated war.

8. Dartht Punk

Dartht Punk Jedi Padawan star 1

Jul 17, 2014
  9. SlashMan

SlashMan Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 5, 2012
    While I wouldn't necessarily have it put in, I think the Anakin fighting Greedo scene is very interesting. The reasoning for taking it out was pretty obvious for pacing (the film flows much better without it), but in the context of the Saga, it actually makes sense. Simply put, it shows that even someone as innocent and pure as Anakin has a breaking point. I'd even sympathize with him; he just won the most important event of his life, and someone wants to take that away from him. Though moving on to life as a Jedi, he has to be held to a higher standard (we also get one of the best Qui-Gon speeches here).

BigAl6ft6 and Iron_lord like this.
  10. Messi

Messi Jedi Padawan star 2

Jan 14, 2015
    Agree with those!

And I love the dark scene of Luke finishing his lightsaber, something special on that.

11. Force Smuggler

Force Smuggler Force Ghost star 7

Sep 2, 2012
    Biggs on Tatooine.
    Moff Jerjerrod scenes DS2

Jangounchained1990 and Sarge like this.
  12. True Sith

True Sith Jedi Master star 4

May 10, 2015
    The ROTS deleted scenes of Padme and the Delegation of 2000 storyline really should have been kept. They give Padme something to do during the film besides sitting around being pregnant, and crying. They raise the tension between her and Anakin, and also help Padme's later statements of not being sure she's on the right side feel less out of the blue.

13. mes520

mes520 Jedi Master star 4

Nov 3, 2012
    TPM:
    Anakin fights Greedo
    Jira
    Probe droids chase Qui-Gon and Anakin

AOTC:
    Padme addresses the Senate
    The Lost Twenty
    Mace and Obi-Wan talk
    Extended arrival on Naboo
    Padme's house
    Padme's bedroom
    Padme speaks with Dooku
    Extend the duel, Dooku uses duel blades for example.

ROTS:
    Seeds of the Rebellion
    Palpatine and Anakin
    Mace, Obi-Wan, and Yoda
    Vader kills Shaak Ti
    Obi-Wan and Padme
    Not sure if this was filmed, but in the book and the script, Bail Organa almost makes a stand against the newly proclaimed Emperor, but Padme stops him. Knowing there's nothing they can do. She also says ,"There will come a time."

ANH:
    Luke and Biggs on Tatooine

ESB:
    Sate Pestage

ROTJ:
    Vader tries to reach out to Luke as he finishes his lightsaber.
    Jerjerrod

14. jc1138

jc1138 Jedi Grand Master star 2

Nov 16, 2004
    I'd like to see the rest of the Obi-Wan/Jocasta Nu scene where they talk about Count Dooku back in. Some of the Padme/Rebellion stuff from RotS, extended lightsaber battles (esp. the Dooku w/ two).

mes520 and True Sith like this.
  15. Chrisf001

Chrisf001 Jedi Padawan

Dec 2, 2014
    I enjoy seeing the cut scenes, but it's not easy to tell if when put back in whether they would interrupt the flow of the adjoining scenes.

For instance, I like the idea of the ROTS Qui-Gonn speaking to Yoda scene, but given where it would be in the movie, just after the Ani/Obi duel and the Emperor rescuing Vader, I think a Qui-Gonn speech about joining the force would be a little jarring. Yoda's quiet meditation fits the mood better.

ROTS Rebellion scenes - there's nothing particularly wrong with them and Natalie does a nice job, but I don't think any of them are really necessary. The exposition in the beginning of ANH brings you up to speed on the rebellion pretty quickly. I also think the less rays of hope in ROTS as the Republic becomes the Empire, the better. It keeps the stakes high.

I'd definitely vote for including the lost twenty / Jocasta Nu scene. A little more info on Jedi quitting and Dooku's disillusionment with the Jedi Order would have been a plus. I think it would make Dooku's later attempt to recruit Obi a little more plausible.

16. ATMachine

ATMachine Jedi Master star 4

Feb 27, 2007
    I'd love to see the Qui-Gon scene restored to the film, just to hear Liam Neeson's voice.

And the Lost Twenty scene in AOTC is #1 on "scenes that never should have been cut from the prequels in the first place."

17. BigAl6ft6

BigAl6ft6 Chosen One star 8

Nov 12, 2012
    Vader force chokes some schmuck in ROTJ deleted scenes, doesn't he? Any Star Wars movie always needs more Force choke, you don't cut that stuff, it's gold!

Ananta Chetan likes this.
  18. anakincol

anakincol Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jul 28, 2009
    That's moff jerrjerrod, who was the commander of the station. That was to be after Vader sensed Lukes pressence on the shuttle. The moff was trying to stop him from seeing the emperor.

BigAl6ft6 likes this.
  19. WriterMan

Nov 26, 2012

It's so odd that my opinion has changed so much.

Anyways, I still believe that the family scenes should be added into AOTC while some of the other love scenes (such as the "sand" scene) should be cut.

20. darkspine10

darkspine10 Chosen One star 8

Dec 7, 2014
    I really love the Luke building his Saber scene in ROTJ. It keeps Luke mysterious, like he is when he turns up at Jabba's, but it makes you eager to see him use the saber in action.

The soundtrack is excellent as well, from Vader reaching out, to the mysterious force style music, to the complete playful droid theme, that was sadly cut down in the finished film.

21. NorseSith

NorseSith Jedi Youngling

May 28, 2015
    Mainly everything that adds to plot or development, but then again, I'm no editor and it would most likely weaken the pace of the movies. Anything relating to the Rebels and Mon Mothma in III should have been included though, it would be great to have III work as a grand setup for the galaxy in general, and not Skywalker(s) in particular.

22. oierem

oierem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Mar 18, 2009
    Actually, it's the only deleted scene that has original soundtrack. All the others were cut before the scoring process.

Eternal_Jedi and darkspine10 like this.
  23. squir1y

squir1y Jedi Master star 3

Feb 1, 2003
    TPM: Qui-Gon taking out the probe droid. Also not sure if they were actually filmed but there were a couple of interesting moments that didn't end up in the final film including Sidious Force choking Dofine when he sassed him and the scene in the swamp where Obi-Wan told Qui-Gon that he shorted out his lightsaber.

AOTC: The scenes with Padme's family. They weren't very well acted, but they humanized Padme more. I also liked the scene with the Temple analysis droids. I would've replaced the scene where Obi-Wan, Mace and Yoda were discussing Anakin with the deleted scene of Obi-Wan and Mace discussing it in the Jedi starfighter hangar bay. Just thought that one was better.

ROTS: All the Birth of the Rebellion scenes. They give Bail Organa way more character development and give Padme more to do than just be pregnant. I'd also like it if they got Liam Neeson back in that scene where Qui-Gon communes with Yoda (especially if they use the dialogue from the novel). Yoda landing on Dagobah would be nice too.

ANH: Biggs on Tatooine. Gives him a character and humanizes Luke more.

ESB: The only movie with no interesting deleted scenes. Perfect as is. What I wouldn't give to put some stuff from the radio drama in there somehow. Luke and Han spending the night in the emergency shelter on Hoth as well as Han and Chewie challenging Vader to a fight before surrendering would have been awesome on screen.

ROTJ: Vader communing with Luke on Tatooine. There was a really great fan made scene that existed but since disappeared with Vader flashing back to his life as a Jedi before destroying the Emperor. It was super intense, but it doesn't really count I guess. I tend to ramble. Sorry.

24. chagrian_scavenger

chagrian_scavenger Jedi Knight star 1

Apr 17, 2015
    - Qui-Gon and Anakin cutting down Maul's probe droid in Mos Espa (TPM).

- Anakin stabbing Shaak Ti in the back the Jedi Temple (ROTS).

- Padmé talking with Dooku on Geonosis / Padmé and Anakin's trail by Poggle the Lesser (AOTC).

- Obi-Wan and Jocasta Nu discussing Count Dooku in the Jedi archives (AOTC).

- Yoda talking with the late Qui-Gon on Polis Massa (ROTS).

- Moff Jerjerodd stopping Vader from entering the Emperor's Throne Room (ROTJ).

- The 'Seed of the Rebellion' scenes (ROTS).

25. Rhane-1138

Rhane-1138 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 9, 2001
    Episode II needed at least one scene with Padmé's family. If only because we would then know who they were when they're seen in Episode III, but also because I think it really helps to get across who Padmé really is. It's her character that suffers the most from the editing. Especially once you get to Episode III.

Episode III really needed another pass in the editing room I think. They ran out of time. The film we have is a result of what was the final pass where they focused on Anakin's story. It needed another pass to focus on Padmé. I don't think that all of the "seeds of rebellion" scenes ought to have been put back in, but at least one of them should have been. As it is now there is literally nothing for Padmé to do the entire movie except for be pregnant and cry at Anakin's turn (not to mention the terrible "dying for no reason" thing which also needed to change).

Having Qui-Gon's voice for Episode III would have been great too.

mes520 and Force Smuggler like this.