main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Beyond - Legends *Delurked* Sparks (L/M vignette, sequel to Noise) Lurker hugs here!

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by Gabri_Jade, Dec 27, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gabri_Jade

Gabri_Jade Fanfic Archive Editor Emeritus star 5 VIP

Nov 9, 2002
    Title: Sparks
    Author: Gabri_Jade
    Timeframe: Somewhere between the Thrawn Trilogy and the Hand of Thrawn duology
    Characters: Luke Skywalker, Mara Jade
    Genre: Vignette, Humor
    Summary: Luke and Mara (mostly Luke [face_devil] ) deal with noise and sparks.
    Notes: This is the sequel to my earlier vignette, Noise. Reading Noise first isn't necessary, but it'll probably make more sense that way. :)

For oba, who wanted a sequel and who loves Pilot Luke. :* Thanks as always to my wonderful evil twin and beta reader, LadyPadme. [:D]

"Not a word. Not a single word."

Mara only grinned at me, her smug expression making words entirely unnecessary. I glared at her, but in true Mara fashion, she appeared completely unimpressed.

With a final glower, I turned my eyes back to my work as the worrisome squeal of stressed metal increased. I owed Mara, actually; it had been she who discovered Jaina sitting on top of my X-wing in the hangar bay, service panels opened, tools scattered along the top of the fighter's fuselage, and sparks shooting everywhere. Mara had corralled Jaina (who had apparently been cowed by the sparks, something she hadn't even managed to coax from the [i]Falcon[/i] or the [i]Fire[/i] with her previous meddling), railed at the Noghri who had been watching Jaina carefully ("Leave it to Solo's daughter to con even a Noghri into letting her play with a starfighter's engine at seven years old," Mara had said with an odd mixture of disgust and admiration), sent them both home, gotten the sparks under control before the X-wing could truly catch on fire, and commed me, telling me I was needed in the hangar [i]right now[/i].

Like I said, I owed her. But I wasn't at all sure that I owed her enough to tolerate her standing on the top rung of the X-wing's access ladder, leaning over the cockpit to watch me work and smirking all the while.

I cringed as the X-wing let loose a high-pitched hiss. It was the centrifugal vapor fusion and ionization reactor - I knew it, no matter what Mara said. "Where's Artoo when you need him?" I muttered.

"In the shop," Mara offered helpfully. "Because Anakin the Younger likes to dismantle mechanical things as much as his sister does."

"[i]Thank[/i] you," I growled.

"You're welcome," Mara said, still grinning. "Are you sure you wouldn't like some help, Luke? I'd be happy to -"

"Mara, don't you have something else to be doing right now?" I growled, pulling wires carefully out of my way so that I could get further into the innards of my wailing ship.

"No," Mara replied sweetly. From her perch on the access ladder, she leaned further into the cockpit. "Luke, what does this button do?"

I glanced back up at her, and paused. "Mara, if you trigger the ejection seat, I swear -"

Mara moved her hand away from the ejector control panel (which she recognized perfectly well, I thought grouchily), rested her head on her crossed arms, and regarded me with unbridled amusement. "You swear what? Are Jedi Knights supposed to be swearing in the first place?"

"I had to let up on that part of the code," I grumbled, jumping slightly as a sudden spray of sparks erupted from the opened panel before me. [i]Great, just great.[/i] "It was the only way you had a chance of getting in."

Mara merely continued watching me sideways, her green eyes sparkling. "That's what I like about you, Luke," she said, raising her voice to compensate as my poor X-wing let loose a particularly loud screech. "You're always so thoughtful. Like how you wouldn't let me put a little healthy fear into Jaina after she messed with the [i]Fire[/i], do you remember? 'She's just a child', you said. 'She didn't mean anything by it', you said. 'I'm sure she won't do it again', you said."

"Shut [i]up[/i]," I muttered under my breath.

"What was that, Luke?" Mara called cheerfully over the steadily increasing whine. I tugged viciously at a handfu

2. obaona

obaona Jedi Master star 4

Jun 18, 2002
    *snags first post, Gabri style*

[edit]

"I had to let up on that part of the code," I grumbled, jumping slightly as a sudden spray of sparks erupted from the opened panel before me. Great, just great. "It was the only way you had a chance of getting in."

I love that! :D :D Luke always had a ready answer for everything in ANH, even if it wasn't a particularly good one, and I can see him improving over time. [face_batting] Especially when he's very upset about his X-Wing. :eek: You know I love this, Gabri. ;) You manage to make Luke such a three dimensional character, instead of just 'calm, Jedi Master'. He was also a pilot, he dreamed of being a pilot his entire youth, and you show that he still loves it here. :D Albeit in your own, interesting way. [face_thinking] I'm so glad you wrote this after I prodded you. O:) I heart it. [face_love] [:D]

3. kayladie97

kayladie97 Jedi Master star 4

Jun 6, 2003
    Oh, I loved this! I don't think if I was Mara, I could have resisted being a little smug either. Poor, poor Luke! [face_laugh]

Never mind the irony of turning to the Sith arts over this ship, I thought, what about the irony of the hero of Yavin killing himself and an innocent - annoyingly smug, but still innocent - bystander because he blew up his own ship botching a simple repair?

Loved that line! And I also loved Luke cursing to himself in his head.

Any chance we get to see the former Emperor's Hand and the Jedi Master striking fear into three precocious kids' hearts? Cause that would be hilarious, I think. And although Leia might protest a bit, I think fellow pilot Han would be right behind the two of them!

4. flowerbee

flowerbee Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 29, 2004
    what about the irony of the hero of Yavin killing himself and an innocent - annoyingly smug, but still innocent - bystander because he blew up his own ship botching a simple repair?

[face_laugh] [face_laugh] He's so cute.

I loved Jaina and the X-wing...too funny. Poor Luke, nobody'll leave him alone! [face_laugh]

5. VaderLVR64

VaderLVR64 Manager Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2004
    You always do such a great job of portraying Luke and Mara. I loved it! :D

6. StarFighter5

StarFighter5 Jedi Master star 4

Jul 25, 2003
    As I said in noise...

How cute and funny! [face_laugh]

Kids, they get into everything, don't they?

It fits here too.

Are you going to do a follow up?

7. Knight_Aragorn

Knight_Aragorn Jedi Master star 4

Jun 15, 2003
    I loved Noise, and this one was just as good. Luke trying to resist the dark side over Jaina tampering with his precious X-Wing - [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] I loved the way Mara was baiting him. Typical Mara - I don't think she could resist such a great opportunity!

Wonderful story all up, Gabri_Jade. Love the way you write Luke and Mara in your fics.

8. Jedi Trace

Jedi Trace Former RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 15, 1999
    I started smiling as soon as I saw the title & author and haven't stopped yet.

Loved it!!! :D

I gritted my teeth again and thought another uncouth phrase, one learned early in my military career. If there was one thing that almost every fighter pilot could do as well as fly, it was swear. It had been a hard habit to break, but desperate times called for desperate measures.
    "Luke, that's awful," Mara said, climbing gracefully into the cockpit and kneeling on the seat, leaning over the back of it to watch me more closely. "And I can top it any day of the week."

[face_laugh]

That had to be my favorite part. A side of L/M that is definitely over-looked. [face_mischief]

This will be part of a trilogy, right? ;)

9. RebelMom

RebelMom Jedi Knight star 6

Apr 20, 2000
    If I had to pick a favorite part, I'd end up highlighting everything. It was superb. I must thank Oba for getting you to write this. :)

10. JediMaster_Jen

JediMaster_Jen Force Ghost star 4

Jun 3, 2002
    This was good. I like Luke's attachment to his precious X-wing.

Great writing. =D=

11. LadyPadme

LadyPadme Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 26, 2002

Hugs Mei!

Great job with this viggie. Luke torture via Mara is just so much fun. And it's even more fun because we all know that deep down inside for all his exasperation, he loves it too. Who knew he was such a masochist? And just what devilry do the two of them have planned to put the Solo children in their place? I'd like to see that. :)

12. Rivad_Bacar2

Rivad_Bacar2 Jedi Master star 1

Nov 1, 2004
    Sequel! Sequel! Sequel!

:D

Loved it! [face_love]

13. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    oba: *snags first post, Gabri style*

LOL! Silly girl. [:D]

Luke always had a ready answer for everything in ANH, even if it wasn't a particularly good one, and I can see him improving over time.

Exactly! :D Luke always was a smart aleck. Maturity doesn't cure that - only refines it. :p I definitely agree that Luke is more than a calm Jedi Master, and that he'd always be a pilot at heart. :cool:

Albeit in your own, interesting way.

Hmmmm . . . [face_thinking]

kayladie97: No, Mara definitely could not resist being smug. :p As far as Luke and Mara intimidating the three junior troublemakers, some things are better left to the imagination. [face_batting] I do think that Han siding with Luke and Mara is a safe bet, though. :cool:

flowerbee: Poor Luke, nothing. It was his turn. :p Glad you liked it! :D

VaderLVR64: Thank you so much! [face_blush] I'm glad you enjoyed it. :D

StarFighter5: It fits here too.

That it does. ;)

Are you going to do a follow up?

Difficult to say. Always in motion, the future is. [face_thinking]

Knight_Aragorn: Hey, Luke loves that ship. ;) Thank you so much! :D

Jedi Trace: That's so sweet! Thank you. [face_blush] :D

That had to be my favorite part. A side of L/M that is definitely over-looked.

I'd have to agree. :D

This will be part of a trilogy, right?

That would be fitting, wouldn't it? [face_thinking]

RM: Thank you so much! [:D] Yes, do thank oba. I'd never given a second thought to a Noise sequel before she mentioned it. ;)

JediMaster_Jen: Thank you! I really appreciate it. :D

Jieh: Luke torture via Mara is just so much fun. And it's even more fun because we all know that deep down inside for all his exasperation, he loves it too. Who knew he was such a masochist?

LOL! It's so true, too. :p Thank you! [:D]

Rivad: *waves* Hey, Rivad! Glad you liked it. :)

Thank you, everyone! Your feedback is much appreciated. [:D]

14. talkingbanana

talkingbanana Jedi Master star 3

Jun 4, 2003
    Absolutely brilliant turn-around on "Noise." (Don't remember if I posted on that one too, but rest assured that I read it.)

Keep up the great work!

15. Leia

Leia Jedi Grand Master star 2

Aug 8, 1998
    You're an amazing writer, Gabri_Jade. You really should be more prolific. Glancing at your profile, you have, what, about 15 fanfics? C'mon, obaona has nearly 100! *impatiently snaps fingers twice* Let's go, young lady, you have a lot of catching up to do! ;)

I loved this, of course. I mean, really, who can get enough of L/M banter? ... That's what I thought--no one. :D

16. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Ooooooo - Kima mia! How fabulous! =D=

Mara had corralled Jaina (who had apparently been cowed by the sparks, something she hadn't even managed to coax from the Falcon or the Fire with her previous meddling), railed at the Noghri who had been watching Jaina carefully ("Leave it to Solo's daughter to con even a Noghri into letting her play with a starfighter's engine at seven years old," Mara had said with an odd mixture of disgust and admiration),

The thought of that just sent me into uncontrollable laughter [face_laugh] Man oh man - you got little Jaya right.

"In the shop," Mara offered helpfully. "Because Anakin the Younger likes to dismantle mechanical things as much as his sister does."
    Anakin the Younger! Heehee! We forget she knew Anakin the Older, eh?

"No," Mara replied sweetly. From her perch on the access ladder, she leaned further into the cockpit. "Luke, what does this button do?"

I glanced back up at her, and paused. "Mara, if you trigger the ejection seat, I swear -"

Mara moved her hand away from the ejector control panel (which she recognized perfectly well, I thought grouchily), rested her head on her crossed arms, and regarded me with unbridled amusement.

Oh my! *wipes eyes* What a perfect Mara as a woman taunting a man moment. [face_love]

"You swear what? Are Jedi Knights supposed to be swearing in the first place?"

"I had to let up on that part of the code," I grumbled, jumping slightly as a sudden spray of sparks erupted from the opened panel before me. Great, just great. "It was the only way you had a chance of getting in."

And no relief from the Mara torment.

"Come on, then. We'll lock down the ships, go order my supplies, then we can go scare ourselves a few kids."
    Okay I'm going to ask - Can we have this scene too? [face_praying]

Wonderful job again. Considering Noise was one of my all time faves I was very excited to find this little addition. [:D]

17. ForGoodOrForAwesome9

ForGoodOrForAwesome9 Jedi Youngling star 1

Jul 29, 2004
    [face_laugh][face_laugh][face_laugh] Of course Mara would glower about this, after all she had to suffer through. Nice of her to be the bigger person and help Luke.. although she did touture him a titch... :p

Such a good sequel! Nice to see it from the other side.... :D

18. Jedi-2B

Jedi-2B Jedi Master star 4

Nov 2, 2000
    I am waaaaay far behind on surfing the boards, so thanks for the heads up. This was great! I loved every line. And I agree with all those petitioning for a 'little healthy fear' sequel -- no rush, just keep the idea in mind. :D

19. Darth_Lex

Darth_Lex Jedi Grand Master star 4

Nov 17, 2002
    Another great viggie! :D

Mara, if you trigger the ejection seat
    I love the way you write Mara?s mischievous side. [face_mischief]

Resist Vader, resist Palpatine, resist even my own weaknesses and impatience, but then go to the Dark Side over Jaina's hurting my ship.
    [face_laugh] [face_laugh] [face_laugh] That is such a Luke thing to think!

We'll lock down the ships, go order my supplies, then we can go scare ourselves a few kids.
    Now there?s a disturbing concept? [face_devil]

Awesome characterization as always. These two really are quite the pair. ;)

20. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    talkingbanana: Thank you so much! [face_blush] :D

Leia: [face_blush] [face_blush] [face_blush] at the compliment, :eek: :eek: :eek: at the comparison. :p I can't imagine ever catching up to oba; she's in a class by herself. ;) Thanks, though! :D And yes, L/M banter is always a great thing. :cool:

Kia: Hey, babe! [:D] Glad I got your girl right. ;)

Anakin the Younger! Heehee! We forget she knew Anakin the Older, eh?

*grins* I watch the History Channel a bit too much. I never think of 'Senior' and 'Junior', I think of 'the Elder' and 'the Younger', as in the Plinys. I've always thought of Anakin Solo as Anakin the Younger, and since Mara did in fact know Anakin the Elder, it seemed reasonable enough for her to say it too. ;)

Oh my! *wipes eyes* What a perfect Mara as a woman taunting a man moment.

Exactly! :D Don't you think she'd be pretty good at that if she wanted to be?

Okay I'm going to ask - Can we have this scene too?

Maybe. Or maybe not. [face_thinking]

ForGoodOrForAwesome9: How could Mara possibly resist torturing Luke over this? I think she had to have enjoyed showing Luke just how easy it is to stay calm when it's not your own ship that's hurt. :p Thank you! :D

Michele: I seem to be perpetually behind myself these days. :p Thank you! I'm so glad you liked it. [:D]

Lex: I love the way you write Mara?s mischievous side.

Hey, we all know it's there. [face_mischief] She wouldn't really have triggered the ejection seat. Probably. [face_devil]

Now there?s a disturbing concept?

It could be at that. :eek: I'm so pleased that you think the characterization is as it should be. Thank you! :D

Thanks again, everyone! [:D]

21. maramijade

maramijade Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 17, 2000
    Yes Luke, really quite amazing and probably. . . quite inspirational. .. ;) :: raises eyebrows::

Somehow I have a feeling that what they're about to do is a long the lines of

"Daniel, go get the cookie. . it's betweent the two yellow lines. What Cars? Oh they don't matter. . ."

"Here Daniel, Hold my hand while crossing the street, if you don't a car will hit me. . "

22. JediArwen

JediArwen Jedi Youngling star 3

Dec 12, 2002
    Hey, Gabri! I missed this!
    Hope you had great time on Christmas and New Year's Eve! [:D]

Great viggie, dear!
    Jaina is a real Solo terror, right?

I loved L/M interaction! So much of their characters...
    They are so great together! [face_love]

23. cleveland1000

cleveland1000 Jedi Youngling star 2

Mar 15, 2004
    if i wasnt in school right now i would be laughing my ass off right now

24. TKeira_Lea

TKeira_Lea Jedi Knight star 5

Oct 10, 2002
    Hey, babe! Glad I got your girl right.
    You most certainly did! I could see her doing it too! [face_mischief]

Exactly! Don't you think she'd be pretty good at that if she wanted to be?
    Oh she'd be the best. I have no doubt...

Maybe. Or maybe not.
    There is only do...or do :p

25. Gabri_Jade

Nov 9, 2002
    maramijade: My goodness! :eek: I'm not sure they'd go quite that far. [face_thinking] Well, had Jaina been around during the repair work when Luke and Mara were each at their maddest, maybe. :p *ponders*

JediArwen: Hi! Good to see you. [:D] Jaina is definitely a Solo terror (does she take more after her mom or her dad in that area? [face_thinking] ), and Luke and Mara are always great together, I agree. [face_love]

cleveland1000: Yes, I can see how being at school could put a damper on that sort of thing . . . :p

Kia: There is only do...or do

Says you. :p

Thanks for the feedback, everyone! :D [:D]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.