main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Deluxe Stormtrooper and Boba-Fett

Discussion in 'Costuming and Props' started by BojTrek, Sep 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BojTrek

BojTrek Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    Hey guys and gals...

I have the Deluxe Darth Vader and love it... I only wear it at Halloween and walk around the neighborhood with my daughters and neighbors.

So, with that said... I have posted it before... I know it is not 100% accurate but I really think the Darth Vader costume is pretty sweet. Friends, family and neighbors cannot tell that it is not perfect. Everyone thinks it looks great.

Is the Deluxe Stormtrooper and/or Boba-Fett good enough to fool the neighbors... will they think it looks real?

I think the Darth Vader looks pretty good to me... are the Stormtrooper and Boba-Fett comparable?

Do they look semi-decent? Does anyone have pictures of anyone in these costumes?

Are the masks OK for just walking the neighborhood? Thanks in advance for any help...

I have been wearing Vader for 4 years or more and I am looking for a change...

2. AramysStrael

AramysStrael Jedi Master star 4

Mar 9, 2004
    I think it all depends on what you are looking to get out of it. If you are just looking for that good enough Halloween costume, then these are fine.

Not trying to be an elitist, or come off as such, but as a member of costumer clubs I think these are complete crap and wouldn't waste my time or money on them. I think I would put in the extra effort to get a costume that really wows the crowds. There is nothing like having a costume that looks like it literally walked off the movie set. I mean one can usually tell a difference in quality of something that looks like it was on a set and something that is a Halloween costume. The irony with the Deluxe Vaders were that they were pretty close to the mark, that only a real good eye for what was off could tell the difference. With the Deluxe Stormtroopers and Boba Fett costumes, the quality like the Vaders just aren't there, in my humble opinion.

But, again, to each their own... and to each what their budget means are.

So if you are looking for just a yearly Halloween costume, then go for it. If you are looking for something that would pass as a seriously kick shebs (Mandalorian word for the posterior region) and be of potential grade for membership in a premium costuming club, then I would advise against it.

Hope that helps.

- Bill

3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    I agree with Bill.

The Deluxe Vader was pretty darn good, IMO. Not super-accurate amazing, but still a very well done costume.

The Fett and Stormtrooper? Not so much.

For the Stormtrooper, it's seriously almost cheaper to just contact your local 501st to get GOOD armor.

Boba Fett sadly is a very, VERY expensive costume to do right and make look good. The for sale one is just very lacking.

4. BojTrek

BojTrek Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    Thanks to both of you... I do not take any offense to your reply.

Like I said and it appears you both agree... the Deluxe Vader is pretty good. It is not perfect by any means, but for once or twice a year it does it's job.

Now at 5'11", I think I would make a better stormtrooper. I want the costume to be pretty cool looking when I go out... and once again it would only be on Halloween once or twice.

So, would a local 501 build the costume for me or just give me parts? I know they probably want you to build it on your own... the work is probably the best part and the satisfaction of a great looking suit.

I just want something now... I don't have time to do it... that is not being lazy. With work, kids and general life... it would take me years to complete.

So, it appear the Stormtrooper is better than the Boba-Fett... is the mask decent? I read some other reports that it is bent or slightly off?

5. BojTrek

BojTrek Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    You guys are right... compared to Darth Vader... the deluxe Stormtrooper is CRAP! WOW!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9HS-Z4xZ6k&NR=1&feature=fvwp

The code piece... WOW! BAD!

Thanks for all of the input...

6. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    You can either buy fully-assembled kits on ebay (which I'm wary of, because you never know WHAT you're buying), or I would definitely just talk to your local 501st guys about where to buy armor kits. They should be able to point you in the right direction for good sets in your area. You'll still need to put it together to fit yourself, but hopefully some of them can help you out. Velcro and elastic are going to become your new best friends. ;)

As for the helmet, I'd buy one of the nicer ones from like EFX, personally.

7. BojTrek

BojTrek Jedi Youngling

Jan 17, 2002
    Wait a minute... the Stormtrooper video shows that the costume is garbage...

But the Boba Fett one semi-decent... this would pass for walking around the neighborhood on Halloween... Hmmm?

This might be costume #2 for me... casual Boba-Fett...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O7UGP0r-kzQ

8. secracium

secracium Jedi Master

Mar 1, 2001
    i gotta say, the rubies trooper armor is pretty crap. i'd highly recommend getting some troopermaster armor off ebay or through someone in the 501st. these can usually be purchased for under the amount of the rubies armor assembled or not. if you do have to assemble it, it'll be fit to you and it's really not that difficult to do. i don't own fett armor, but i'd say that the same goes for that costume. i personally have a set of SDS armor, but if you're in the states you're not going to be able to have it shipped here as lucasfilm banned it from sale in the US.

9. Koohii

Koohii Jedi Master star 5

May 30, 2003
    I think the only thing worse than that set of storm trooper armor would be the camera work of the person filming it! I think the halloween costumes we had in 1978 (where the picture of the character was printed on the chest along with the name so adults would know what it was) were better that that outfit.
    Fett outfit looks ok, but not great. Obviously, you'd want to either scrap the gun and build your own, or at least paint it.

10. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    well since my 2nd addition to my 501st admission was a stormtrooper after my first being Vader, i actually found a stormtrooper website and located a guy that reproduces the FX armor, its made slightly larger for bigger troopers. well made parts, easy nuff to assemble, i built mine from that kit, kit was only 600 bucks, theres a few other items youll have to acquire to complete the costume, but i got a total of round 800 or so invested in a 501st worthy costume. and the kicker to me was i built it myself from the kit. even made my own blaster froma hasbro modified with special eleectrics and a luxeon red led that fires like it did when it was stock. so it looks more realistic, course it has the skins kit too on it.

point is, that rubies trooper costume was bashed so much by anyone in 501st or any other club that it really is a crud costume for sure, i mean look at the front chest plate for petes sake, its not even close to right with that raised rounded border edges it has. save the cash for a better costume is my opinion.

11. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Any thoughts on the Delux Super Halo MasterChief costume? Nearly $1000, made by Rubies, so I'm really questionning value for $.

12. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    this is what I'm talking about. (not inteded as an endorsement of the merchant site--just where I found (and found out about) the costume

13. LAN-ED-TUL

LAN-ED-TUL Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 28, 2005
    cant really say, but if you follow the logic of everyone that knows rubbies costumes, its prolly junk as well, good for parties and such, but not much more. i havent heard any reviews bout the halo costume from them yet

14. Obey Wann

Obey Wann Former RMFF CR & SW Region RSA star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 14, 2000
    I'd buy from a fan-made source any day of the week over Rubies. Fan-made will handle the demands of trooping, or even wearing to a local con. I doubt Rubies would... at least for long. Most commercially made stuff does not handle the demands of multiple trooping events.

If you want to make a display, then go for it. But to wear? I'll go fan-made.

15. Koohii

May 30, 2003
    Pretty much what I figured.
    Just wanted to dbl check.
    Want to see it in person before I shell out that kind of $

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.