main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Democracy or Republic?

Discussion in 'Community' started by DarthPhilosopher, Jan 23, 2015.

1. DarthPhilosopher

DarthPhilosopher Chosen One star 6

Jan 23, 2011
    Hey,

I recently had a debate with a poster who insisted that the United States is not a democracy but a Republic - to which I said it is both. Is this a common thing in the United States - to not think you are a democracy...?

2. Slicer87

Slicer87 Jedi Master star 4

Mar 18, 2013
    It is a widespread belief, every Amercian history book I read states the US is a Republic. However there is concern that our country is slipping more torwards a democracy. We are very concerned about protecting our rights, especially from government infringement. For example, with our Pledge of Allegiance we all pledge allegiance to our Republic, not to a democracy. Our constitution guarantees to every state a Republican form of government (Art. 4, Sec. 4). No state may join the United States unless it is a Republic.

3. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    I'm still not sure how exactly you define democracy. I mean we all describe countries like the United States (Republican or otherwise) as democracies while the people have free and open power to form their own government. Likewise many Republics aren't democracies - such as the Soviet Union, Iran and China...

4. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    In a democracy, the political minority is not necessarily protected (i.e 51% rules over 49%) - so it's essentially can be mob rule.

5. SithLordDarthRichie

SithLordDarthRichie CR Emeritus: London star 9

Oct 3, 2003
    Given how often western nations talk about democracy & how they want other countries to adopt it, they must believe they already have it.

Since countries such as the US & UK adopt a majority rules voting system (in government, in elections etc), aren't they democracies?

6. ShaneP

ShaneP Ex-Mod Officio star 7 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    No, the opposite. It's widespread to think we're a democracy and that's it.

7. Darth Guy

Darth Guy Chosen One star 10

Aug 16, 2002
    Democracy and republic are not mutually exclusive. A republic at this point is just a state without a monarch. The U.S. is technically a liberal representative democracy and constitutional federal republic. The argument is semantics anyway. The terms are all but meaningless. The U.S. has a zealously protected, entrenched two-party system; gerrymandering in most states; voter disenfranchisement (not just the recent voter ID trend but commonly accepted things like felons not being able to vote); high incumbency rates despite low approval ratings; low voter turnout; virtually unlimited campaign spending; representatives and jurists who are much, much more inclined to listen to the people with the most money. Now, I'm no big-city lawyer, but I don't think that's really a democracy or "majority rule."

8. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
  9. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    There is no way our country could be characterized as a democracy in any way through at least our first roughly 150 years.

Vaderize03 and KnightWriter like this.
  10. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    The United States can be described as both a constitutional republic and a democratic republic. The former is more technically correct (moreso with the addition of the adjective "federal") while the latter is common parlance in political speech. A democracy, in any meaningful sense, is a country with an electoral system (whether direct or indirect) and typically -- but not always -- with some sort of protection of political liberties. A republic is a state where sovereignty does not rest in the person of a monarch. The United States is a democracy and a republic, the United Kingdom is a democracy and is not a republic.

It's as simple as that. Just because the United States is not a democracy in the Athenian sense and just because (some of) the Founding Fathers feared and abhorred democracy does not mean the United States is not one. Let's save ourselves from too much useless pedantry.

edit: ShaneP, I think that's a rather polemical use of the term democracy though -- roughly equivalent to those who assert today that the United States is more an oligarchy than a democracy. That kind of discussing is more to prove a point than to classify the country's governmental system.

11. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001

No, I agree with you it is a constitutional democratic republic if we were to classify it. That's accurate.

12. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    What is this notion that 'democracy' is equivalent to 'mob rule'?

13. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    America's a business - now ******g pay me

14. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Definitions I was raised on:

Democracy: all (eligible) voters vote, majority rules (some Swiss cantons, for example)

Republic: all (eligible) voters vote for someone to represent them in a larger body. That person does not necessarily have to support the view of the majority of his/her district - "some" believe the representative is supposed to be more informed and make the best decision regardless of its popularity.

15. GrandAdmiralJello

GrandAdmiralJello Comms Admin ❉ Moderator Communitatis Litterarumque star 10 Staff Member Administrator

Nov 28, 2000
    Yeah, that's what schools teach too. But it's not a very good distinction. Democracy there is better called "direct democracy" because even indirect participation in electoral politics is considered democratic (the original democracy, classical Athens, had both direct and indirect democracy). Republic there is better called "representative democracy" because there are plenty of non-representative republics (the original republic, classical Rome, made absolutely no pretension to having its Senate represent anyone or anything -- membership in the Senate was earned by election or co-option, but the election was to magistracies rather than election to represent constituents).

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  16. MOC Vober Dand

MOC Vober Dand Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jan 6, 2004
    Loosely speaking, democracy means that the people being ruled choose who will rule them and the majority opinion is followed. What constitutes a majority varies widely depending on the electoral and governmental systems being used and a range of other factors. A republic can be a form of democracy, often characterised by the presence of an elected head of state, rather than a monarch, but again, covering a huge range of governmental systems, some democratic and others not.

17. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011

See these aren't properly defined: I would say the first is "direct democracy" and the second is "representative democracy". A Republic is something completely different - normally just a state which has an elected head of state...

18. Rogue_Ten

Rogue_Ten Chosen One star 7

Aug 18, 2002
    yeah i would say that a republic is a specific form of government whereas democracy is more like a quality that societies can have/be said to have

19. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    In a pure democracy, majority rules. The minority has no say in anything. In a democratic republic, while we do elect our officials and vote on issues, our rights are universal. The minority has the exact same rights as the majority.

20. ShaneP

Mar 26, 2001
    monademofederocracy

21. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    But that doesn't necessarily happen in a direct democracy (also called a 'pure democracy') unless there is no constitution. I mean in truth it is no more 'majority oppresses' than any other democracy - see Switzerland. Not to mention not all Republics are democratic - like the Soviet Union, etc.

22. Obi-Zahn Kenobi

Obi-Zahn Kenobi Force Ghost star 7

Aug 23, 1999
    Didn't Princeton recently release a study wherein they showed that public opinion on common political issues has little to no correlation with with legislation passed? Strong support for what you just said (and I agree).

23. DANNASUK

DANNASUK Force Ghost star 7

Nov 1, 2012
    Technically speaking, UK is a constitutional monarchy.

24. DarthPhilosopher

Jan 23, 2011
    Which is a democracy...

25. Darth Punk

Darth Punk JCC Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Nov 25, 2013
    Why is dictatorship not an option?