main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Denver Comic Con - June 15-17 2012

Discussion in 'Denver, CO' started by Obi_Wannabe, Jun 29, 2011.

1. Obi_Wannabe

Obi_Wannabe Jedi Grand Master star 5

Mar 17, 2002
    Announcing? Denver Comic Con and Literary Conference!

June 15-17, 2012, Colorado Convention Center

June 15th, 2012 ? Denver will play host to the first annual Denver Comic Con and Literary Conference (DCC/LC) in June of 2012, promising comic fans of the mountain west a chance to mix with some of the foremost comics illustrators and writers today. DCC/LC will take place at the Colorado Convention Center and will be the largest convention of its kind in the Rocky Mountain region. The three-day event has already penciled in the Eisner and Harvey-nominated writer of Scalped and Wolverine, Jason Aaron, as well as Rebekah Isaacs, who is currently working on Angel & Faith for Dark Horse Comics with Christos Gage and Executive Producer Joss Whedon.

Set to take place during Father?s Day weekend, Denver Comic Con is also the first convention of its kind developed to directly benefit children?s literacy, with event proceeds assisting Denver?s own Comic Book Classroom (CBC). CBC is a nonprofit after-school program that promotes literacy and arts education through the use of comics. DCC/LC and CBC will be on site at the Convention Center to provide family and youth-centered activities and programming throughout the weekend.
    ?We will have the largest venue for a fan event in Denver,? says Charlie LaGreca, Vice President and Art Director for CBC. ?There will be comic creators from all levels of the industry, from big names at Marvel, DC, and Image Comics, to the many wonderful local creators Colorado has to offer, as well as small press publishers from around the country. Rising star and local Denverite, Noah Van Sciver, most recently picked to be in The Best of American Comics and mainstay of Westword, has also agreed to appear.?

He adds, ?We will, of course, have guests from film and television too; expect more exciting guest announcements in the coming weeks and months. And the centerpiece of the con will be the kids who have gone through Comic Book Classroom?s program. Not only will they be guests at the booth, but they will be the shining stars as they get to sign and do sketches alongside the pros.? LaGreca has worked closely with all the facets of the comics industry as an artist for DC Comics, Nickelodeon, Disney, and many others. He also hosts Indie Spinner Rack, a long-running, online podcast show dedicated to the world of independent comics.

DCC/LC is unique in that it will be simultaneously hosting a full-scale literary conference (LC) and education program for students and professionals in a variety of academic fields, who will present scholarly work in the subject of comics and graphic novels, as well as teaching, from K-12 to the college classroom, and beyond. Dr. Christina Angel of Arapahoe Community College and Metropolitan State College of Denver will head up this exciting program, in conjunction with other local university and college professors.

ABOUT DENVER COMIC CON: DCC/LC is Denver?s premiere fan experience, covering the worlds of comic books, film, and related media, taking place June 15-17, 2012 at the Colorado Convention Center.

For the latest news and information, visit www.denvercomiccon.com

ABOUT COMIC BOOK CLASSROOM: Comic Book Classroom is a nonprofit organization that educates through alternative approaches to literacy, learning, and character development. CBC creates programs for underserved students, schools, and communities via comic books, graphic novels, and related media. CBC?s Executive Director, Illya Kowalchuk, M.Ed., will run the educational programming for the convention. CBC is the organizer for the DCC/LC.

For more information, visit www.comicbookclassroom.org

Ami Heinrich
    Tsunami Publicity

2. gra-co_o_hun

gra-co_o_hun Jedi Master star 5

May 5, 2005
    Ohhhhhhhhhh YEAH!!!! [face_dancing]

3. varza

varza Jedi Padawan star 4

Nov 7, 2002
    saaaa--weeeet!

4. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    AWESOME WITH AWESOMESAUCE ON TOP! [face_dancing] [face_love] =D=

5. Lego-Stormtrooper-1

Lego-Stormtrooper-1 Former RMFF CR star 3

Apr 27, 2009
  6. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
  7. JawaJaka

JawaJaka Jedi Knight star 2

May 24, 2011
    This might be worth going to. However, my experience with literary cons is that they normally don't like costumed characters showing up. But with it being a comic con as well, this might be cool!! I'll pencil it in.

8. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    Oh I have a feeling costumers will be welcome.

9. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    Can't wait! This is going to be awesome!

10. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    The Literary Conference will be a separate event taking place at the same time. It will be primarily for invited academics. There will be some limited space for general attendees.

The Comic Con is open to all. Costumes welcomed and appreciated.

Definitely the focus is on education, we have the literary conference, but also we will have an emphasis on activites for kids and adults alike.

And all of the proceeds go to the non-profit after school program that promotes literacy by teaching kids to write and draw their own comics (I've got that down pat, I spent this weekend in Albuquerque pitching to anyone who stopped by our table and I talked to every single dealer at the con :) )

11. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Thanks for all the support, on here, and especially on Facebook (193 fans in the 36 hours since I made it public WOOT!).

12. PtrsonsZOO

PtrsonsZOO Jedi Grand Master star 7

Jul 30, 2001
    I threw in a little social networking this evening... Hopefully it will generate a little buzz

13. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    We've already been retweeted by people with 15000 facebook followers today, but we'll take everything we can get :)

14. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    I noticed a couple of those, very nice. =D= I was just hitting up some local tweeters.

15. QueenHighMistress

QueenHighMistress Jedi Master star 4

May 8, 2005
    Is there an official web site yet? I'm going to talk with Sequential Tart and see what we might be able to do to promote.

Edit: D'oh! It's right there on the Faceborg page....

16. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    And now it even has the right date, until yesterday morning it was saying July, which was picked up by Facebook today, double DOH!

17. nnaydolem

nnaydolem Jedi Master star 6

Nov 8, 2002
    i tweeted yesterday and a couple of Denver organizations where interested...so i'll send them your way.

18. Katsu_MaRoy

Katsu_MaRoy Jedi Master star 2

Nov 21, 2006
    Any suggestions for hotels for us out-of-towners?

19. Grimby

Grimby Technical Consultant & Former Head Admin star 7 Staff Member Administrator

Apr 22, 2000
    The Hyatt.

I told Kara you guys should probably start a Facebook event with the correct dates. That should help spread the word as well.

20. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Expect hotel booking info in the next two weeks. Still negotiating. Booth info about the same time, we set pricing for Exhibitor Booths and Artist Tables tonight, we just need to get the forms created.

If this kind of inside stuff is not interesting I can shut up about it.

21. PtrsonsZOO

Jul 30, 2001
    Not at all. If nothing else, it gives people ideas on where they can offer help.

22. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    FYI for Sith_Chick, I did get you of course the Lady Death exclusive book at Albuquerque Comic Expo, signed by Brian Pullido. You can pick it up any time.

But more importantly, he gave me his direct phone number (no you can't have it), and we will definitely be inviting him to DCC. You could bring every Lady Death thing you own to get signed!

23. darth_hair

darth_hair Jedi Master star 5

May 8, 2001
    That may lower the value :p

24. Obi_Wannabe

Mar 17, 2002
    Two article's from the Denver Post's YourHub section:

http://dpo.st/qSf9NP

http://dpo.st/rkjKT6

25. LadyoftheMandalore

LadyoftheMandalore Jedi Master star 4