main
side
curve
  1. Welcome, Guest

Upcoming events:

Star Wars: Andor - Disney + - 21st September

2. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

FF:VIC Depression isn't nice

Discussion in 'Oceania Discussion Boards' started by laifir, Sep 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. laifir

laifir Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 9, 2002
    I've been feeling really depressed over the past couple of days and can't figure out why. :(
    So I'm here to ask for some comfort. Does anyone want to cheer me up?

2. Darth_Reign

Darth_Reign Jedi Grand Master star 4

Oct 7, 2001
    <Holds up a sock puppet>

Here look at the monkey, look at the silly monkey!

Don't let depression get you down, everyone goes through it. When I was 15 I was depressed for an entire year. Just take the good things in your life and focus on them.

Explore the positive, Ignore the negative.

That would make a damn fine comapny logo.

3. Jedi_jem

Jedi_jem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    *Looks at Darth Reigns sock puppet*
    That's no monkey! This:
    [image=http://ed-3.com/darklords/nana.jpg]
    is a monkey! :cool:

*Looks at her monkey picture*
    Now that I think about it, that might not be a monkey after all... ?[face_plain]

Anywho, enough crap from me!
    I'm not very good with words, so all i have to say is;
    Try not to let it get to you, do something to get your mind off it! For example: Try looking at the monkey ( :p ) picture, Couldn't you just look at that for hours? ;)
    Also read Darth Reign's post, it makes more sense than mine :p

I'm sure you're sick of me now so i'm going... lol

4. SithLord-Mixo

SithLord-Mixo Jedi Knight star 5

Apr 21, 2002
    A pub owners cat dies and he cuts of its tail as a keep sake.
    The cat went ot heaven and asked St Peter if he could enter.
    NO said St Peter, Not without your tail

So the cat went back to earth and to his old pub

He then knocked on the door and the pub owner answered the door

"Can I have my tail back please" asked the cat

"No " said the barkeeper

"why?" asked the cat

"Because it is after 2am"

"So?" asked the cat

"I am not allowed to retail spirits after hours" replied the barkeeper

5. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    *Crickets chirp after Mixo's joke*

.... [face_plain]

:p

Is there any specific thing you're depressed about? I get depressed occasionally as well, especially around this time of year with the schoolwork starting to actually become important. It will most likely pass, but feel free to PM me if you want to talk about it more in private.

6. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Aaah man, that joke was told to me by a Buddhist monk.
    I thought it was funny

7. laifir

Apr 9, 2002
    You people are so very wonderful, you made me feel a lot better. Love the pic, and yeah, I could watch it for hours!
    I guess it is probably school that's got me down, my friends are not very supportive, I've got a load of work, god knows how many tests and the teachers keep going on about how we have no future. Are they even allowed to say that?
    Anyway, thanks for the compassion.
    :)

Oh, and if you're ever looking for something to make you smile, listen to the Tenacious D album, those guys always make me laugh.

8. HawkNC

HawkNC Former RSA: Oceania star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Oct 23, 2001
    Tenacious D = teh funny. I haven't gotten tired of Tribute yet. ;)

I'm glad we could help out, school has a tendency to drag you down like that at times. Don't listen to your teachers, or anyone else, if they say you have no future. You can always make a new future for yourself, if you're willing to work hard enough to achieve it. :)

9. Protege-of-Thrawn

Protege-of-Thrawn Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 14, 2001
    More to the point, if your teachers are telling you that you have no future, you probably need to change schools and find somewhere you can be helped and not hindered.

If it's any consolation, studies show the more spiritual and intellectual a person, the more vulnerable they are to depression. In today's society it is easy to fell as if you are nothing special, one barely surviving dot amongst a sea of chaos. It is deceptively simple to convince yourself your inadequate, useless, and slipping between the cracks.

Despair is common, and I won't say it wont happen, it will. But remember, it will to everyone. Your not alone. As you have done here, just come online and have a chat about it.

If you feel comfortable, discuss some examples with those you trust if not the whole board, try and talk things through with friends, family. This sometimes is too hard for most of us, which is why I suggest we of the boards. Sometimes it is easy to talk to a cyber-stranger then a friend who you look in the face each day.

If you want to talk about anything, I would be happy to help you. I have qualifications as a peer councilor, and a fair bit of experience within professional settings of helping people just "have a chat".

You are as we all are, a unique person, you will always have something no one else has, and that's yourself. When you search inside and find your inner self, you will be in awe of the radiance, the profound beauty, the divine poetry that is individuality and life itself.

No matter the depth and darkness of the shadow you feel in, remember the light. As Reign suggested, focus on the positive, and look past the negative. No use dwelling on what is bad, when you can enjoy so much of what is good.

I hope you feel better soon and wish a speedy recovery,

regards,

Kane. aka Protegé of Thrawn.

10. Rogue_Product

Rogue_Product Jedi Padawan star 4

Jun 12, 2002
    I got nothing.... :-(

11. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jedi_Master_Damir Jedi Padawan star 4

Jan 19, 2002
    If you say that your friends aren't very supportive, then they aren't you friends.

School can get me down alot, especially near the end of terms, when there's alot of pressure on me.

Don't listen to anyone that puts you down, because they are always wrong. You shape your own future and the best thing is to prove them wrong, to suceed, to become to best person you could ever be. And like someone said, take the good in life, something that makes you happy and focus on that. Also focus on something that you're really looking forward to.

And if that doesn't work, this always makes me laugh:
    [image=http://www.stanford.edu/~oomax/photos/misc/Funny.jpg]

12. laifir

Apr 9, 2002
    Thanks PoT, that really did help. I guess sometimes long speeches like that can be more helpful the the silly monkey.
    And Damir, maybe you're right, maybe they aren't really friends, but they're the closest I've got. There's about one or two who are supportive, but I haven't been able to talk to them for a while, they just feel closed off to me. I don't understand it.
    Anyway, I did recieve a bit of a self-esteem boost yesterday, I auditioned and bagged a part in a scool play. It's small, but it's something.
    Thanks again for all you're help. I wasn't expecting you all to make me feel as better as I do now. I feel so loved. :)

13. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    Laifir have you seen Tenacious D's clip to (mind my language) F#$k he gently. It is very funny.All done in cartoon and by the makers of Ren & Stimpy

14. laifir

Apr 9, 2002
    **** Her Gently is probably my fave of their songs, but I've only seen the filmclip for Tribute, and that weird muppet thingy that Crank Yankers did for Friendship.

15. SithLord-Mixo

Apr 21, 2002
    The clip has been out for a far while. When i get home I will see how big the file is and if it is e-mailable

16. lordvaderFF

lordvaderFF Jedi Master star 4

Nov 29, 2000
    If the teachers tell you that you have no Future...your response should be..

Is that what happened to you?

There is no Fate but that which we make.

Always in motion is the future.

Never feel depressed, life is an adventure and it's just waiting to be enjoyed.

School is very over-rated, I can't remember the last time I was called upon to solve an algebra problem, or list the elements.

The richest people in the world are the ones that dropped out of school and didn't listen to their teachers at all.

Only you control your destiny.

17. DarkJediTJ

DarkJediTJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 26, 2000
    Hey, I get depressed alot, :( , but you know you should... :: Starts singing Always look on the bright side of life from Monty Phythons: Life of Brian :: ...HEY! DON'T LAUGH My voice has healing qualitys!

I sung at an old peoples home resently, I saw miricals happen! I saw deaf people throwing away their hearing aids and starting too cheer! I saw Criples get up and walk out! I saw people with fears of height run too the window! I Saw old ladies and men throw away their walking sticks! Boy do I feel happy about that! :D

And Quote: Only you control your destiny. Oooo... Sounds Important!

18. laifir

Apr 9, 2002
    How do you people come up with such insightful answers?
    LordVaderff, thanks. You sounded like you're quoting one of those inspirational speekers, and what you said was inspirational.
    DarkJediTJ I would love to hear the voice that could produce such a response. I do volenteer work in an old folks home and know just what a miracle that would be. :)

19. DarkJediTJ

DarkJediTJ Jedi Padawan star 4

Dec 26, 2000
    Answers? Too tell the truth we haven't anwered your question, your question was So I'm here to ask for some comfort. Does anyone want to cheer me up? All we did was cheer you up we never said YES/NO But I think you get the idea of it all. :p

20. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    If cranking out a Lord Vader cliché doesn't work for you ( :D ) try and put things into perspective.

Do you have a terminal disease?
    Have you lost a parent/ loved one?
    Have you lost a limb?
    Do you live in Rwanda/ the West Bank/ Iraq/ the former Yugoslavia/ [insert place not nice to live in here]?

If you answer 'No' to these sorts of questions, quit yer whinging! ;)

Oh and I noticed you're only 14, Laifir. Varying amounts of self indulgent depression is perfectly normal in angst ridden teenagers. :)

21. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jan 19, 2002
    Hey! I'm from the former Yugoslavia and I lived there for over 10 years and still visit on occasion.... does that mean I should be depressed Scott?

22. Jedi_jem

Jedi_jem Jedi Grand Master star 4

Feb 1, 2002
    I have lots of friends from Iraq and they're not depressed!

Damir's not depressed, are you Damir? :D

23. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jan 19, 2002
    No, of course not Jem :D

24. Scott_M

Scott_M Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 24, 2000
    I'm noticing you're not living there now.

;)

25. Jedi_Master_Damir

Jan 19, 2002
    No, obviously, I'm not but i DO have family and friends living there and they dont seem to be depressed, it's really not that bad in some places....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.