main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Derp, DERP. Derpitimus Maximus. Derpity deeeeeeerp...

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 4, 2012.

1. TOSCHESTATION

TOSCHESTATION Jedi Master star 4

Jan 17, 2003
    Excerpt:

"The Occupy Wall Street movement was in part a reaction to the painful reality pressing in on the Leftists that their masters had betrayed them: the beloved masters in Washington made a deal with Wall Street, to establish a state-syndicate alliance in one field of the economy after another, from the Motor Car industry to the Student Loan industry, and the Occupiers dimly felt this. Small investors were having their 401K’s wiped out while CEO’s were getting more in bonuses[​IMG] than a workingman makes in ten years. The Occupiers knew the same thing that the Tea Party movement knew, namely, that the rich had ganged up with the powerful to trample the faces of the poor. Being rightwing, the Tea Party marched on the powerful in Washington, and were peaceful. Being leftwing ,the Occupiers marched on the rich in Wall Street, and were violent. (And the Press, being Leftwing, reported not just untruth but the exactly opposite of the truth in both cases.)"

The Shell-Game in a nut...shell. Conservatives and Liberals = both pro-big government Statists, giving out favors to big business. Crony Capitalism.

And I know that the Occupy Wall Street movement is in the wheelhouse of many here.

Ramza, I asked for an argument, not circular reasoning.

2. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    What the hell does postmodernism have to do with some dumbass using absurd stereotypes about women in his hiring practices?

3. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    My argument is it's a tautological metaphysical necessity.

V-2 and Juliet316 like this.
  4. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    o_O:-B

5. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    That was just a restatement, it was quite plain from ⊨◻(Stupid, Unibomber-esque manifesto ⊃ Crap).

Juliet316 likes this.
  6. Point Given

Point Given Manager star 7 Staff Member Manager

Dec 12, 2006
    Meanwhile your boy John C. wright called Picasso a fraud. Picasso!

7. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    I don't necessarily agree with everything this guy says.

8. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    I just find it amusing that you're calling out people for "calling the essay names" when the essay's author is so quick to label people frauds.

Not to mention what he says about people who dare to hold different politics than him.

9. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    But since I don't agree with what he says about Picasso and Nietzsche, I am not obligated to defend him* for calling them frauds. Just like I'm not obligated to defend everything a Republican says or does, since I am not a Republican.

*At any rate, he explains why he doesn't like the left/leftists.

Yeah, he says that he thinks that they're wrong, but not intrinsically evil - quite unlike how leftists view their opponents.

10. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

I'm a leftist and I don't think that way. Tell me more again about how I think.

V-2, Valairy Scot and heels1785 like this.
  11. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    Unless you told me - like you just did, how would I know that you were one? If it doesn't apply to you, it doesn't apply. Just like "young earth creationist" doesn't apply to me.

12. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006
    It doesn't apply to leftists, just like it doesn't apply to me.

13. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
  14. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    How can you categorically state this? That would be like me denying that there are young earth creationists.

15. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

You first, broheim.

Rogue_Ten likes this.
  16. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    So if it doesn't apply to YOU, it applies to NO ONE? What a self-centered* worldview.

*then again, this is keeping with the fact that the universe revolves around the JCC. Juliet316

There are Christians who aren't young earth creationists. There are Tea Party candidates - like Rand Paul - who are actually not against gay marriage. But I suppose it's ok to generalize against those people, then? That's exactly the hypocrisy that Wright points out in his essay.

17. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    You're categorizing people wrong. Put people into neat little boxes like this.

Juliet316 likes this.
  18. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    This tough guy still?

Also, what a **** move to pick on Juliet for no apparent reason. You obviously have no issues with your own self esteem. Obviously.

19. Point Given

Dec 12, 2006

I think you missed my point. You categorically stated that "leftists" view their opponents as evil, as shown here.

I disagreed with you, on the basis that I'm a leftist and don't think that way (and I know plenty of leftists who don't)

Where upon you say this (for emphasis):

So I say this. How can you categorically state the following.?

You just generalized all leftists, and when I said they weren't that generalization...you accused me of generalizing. Unbelievable.

Valairy Scot and Juliet316 like this.
  20. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    "Picking on" Juliet: you mean it's obviously NOT a **** move to play the "n00b" card, i.e. "You're new to JCC threads, aren't you?"

But I like how pointing out that the world doesn't revolve around the JCC is an example of "picking on" Juliet.

21. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    No. JOHN C. WRIGHT generalized all leftists. I said, and I quote (look at the original quote above):

"Yeah, HE says that HE thinks that they (the leftists) are wrong, but NOT intrinsically evil - quite unlike how leftists view their opponents."

That last part which, btw, is what HE thinks about leftists in general.

No. I didn't accuse you of generalizing. I accused you of being self-centered, because your reasoning was that since it didn't apply to YOU, it applied to NO ONE.

But again, the problem isn't generalization per se, since this thread has established that it's okay to generalize Christians, Conservatives, Republicans, etc. - generally those who aren't part of the 'protected class' as defined by Political Correctness. No caveats allowed, no "but I know person X, and he is X, and he doesn't think this way", with "X" being those who belong to the 'profane' group. This is the hypocrisy that the writer of the essay spoke of.

So, if it doesn't apply to you - or to people that YOU personally know - what's the issue? The issue is that your particular ox - leftism - was being gored, in a thread where generalization of those 'other' people was encouraged.

22. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    That's exactly what I mean. I left the fact that I found my own post sensible to be inferred. Luckily, you were here to step forward and really bring that point home.

Do you go around explicitly stating everything that's implied? No wonder your posts are so frigging long.

No, what's offensive is that this guy just said that men are cold, inhospitable, cold-hearted, selfish, uncaring, antagonistic and dedicated to creating hateful, harsh, threatening environments. That all those things have been built into man by God, that God has designed us to be all of those things. I'm a man and I'm a Christian and that's a load of offensive rubbish. I'm none of those things.

23. TOSCHESTATION

Jan 17, 2003
    Fair enough. I misread what you posted, and I retract my posts in response to you. Do you accept?

24. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    If we all ignore it, it might go away.

Juliet316 likes this.
  25. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    But again, the problem isn't generalization per se, since this thread has established that it's okay to generalize Christians, Conservatives, Republicans, etc. - generally those who aren't part of the 'protected class' as defined by Political Correctness. No caveats allowed, no "but I know person X, and he is X, and he doesn't think this way", with "X" being those who belong to the 'profane' group. This is the hypocrisy that the writer of the essay spoke of.

We are still waiting. We have over 150 page sof quotes...you know...recorded quotes from people making ridiculous statements such as tornadoes are sent by god to punish gays, such as the Earth only being 6,000 years old, such as people looking to pass laws to make race discrimination legal. If they or you don't wish to be generalized like this then perhaps they and you need to quit making ridiculous statements. Calling your wall of text derp was accurate. But please keep drawing attention to this thread like this. It's exactly what I want.

Juliet316 likes this.