main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Derp, DERP. Derpitimus Maximus. Derpity deeeeeeerp...

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    I think you mean "It hasn't happened to me, or a group statistically large enough to concern me".

Not all of the studies came to the same conclusion. ( Remind you of anything? ) But, you know, the ones that didn't toe the line and conform? Clearly not, cough, "rigorous" enough.

All of which I press to the side of my head on a regular basis. And yes, it's awkward. ( Now comes the point where you argue that distance from the source is irrelevant and thus discard the pretense of scientific credibility altogether. )

2. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    It's like you're trying not to be taken seriously.

3. Narutakikun

Narutakikun Jedi Knight star 4

Nov 8, 2012
    Yes, actually, I do.

It's that, while I don't deny the presence of derp and antiscience on the right, there's plenty of it to go around on the left as well.

That's really all I'm trying to say.

4. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    Ah. So, both "Hey look over there!" and "They're doing it too!"

I see.

5. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Who here said there was no anti-science derp on the left?

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  6. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Basic misunderstanding of the physics of RF. And of radiology. Whether you're an inch from your cell phone or a mile from a 50,000 watt AM radio station doesn't matter. What matters is how much of a dose of what kind of radiation you're getting.

Not all of the studies come to the conclusion that global warming is real, that cigarettes cause cancer, or that the Earth is more than 5000 years old, either. But the vast majority, especially of the most credible and rigorous studies, have. Same with cell phones and cancer.

Nope. The link just really isn't there.

Again, in both cases, the speaker could have meant to shorten something more accurate or reasonable; but in neither case is there any real reason to believe that.

7. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    Well, if no one did, then no problem. My work here is done.

8. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yes, except she specifically cited her objections as relating to, for instance, the specific type of modifications being made. Like tolerance of heavy pesticide usage. The heavy exposures have a pretty demonstrable effect on agrarian manual laborers.

No it couldn't. Because those two are antonyms. Whereas the relationship between "Austrian" and "Austrian German" isn't like that at all. Again, you aren't very good at this whole business of finding parallels. Further, this response suggests you don't actually know what the controversy about Akin's comments was. First, in appending a qualifier to the term "rape" he was implicitly suggesting that there were some types of rape that weren't actually rape. This is what offended people. Secondly, his claim about the body being able to "shut that whole thing down" was factually inaccurate.

This isn't a problem of science at all. No one is making scientifically untrue statements about nuclear power. They simply feel that risks are greater than those they are willing to accept. There's no sort of scientific law that governs what level of risk people should and should not be willing to endure for energy needs in an industrialized economy. There's certainly not any scientific need for relying on domestic rather than foreign energy production. It's entirely a cultural and lifestyle debate.

This is another terrible example. Based on the scientifically available information at the time of the publishing, Paddock was correct. The then-current rate of food production would not have sustained India's modern day population. Starvation would have been the result. It's not problematic to base your plans on what is actually known, instead of hopelessly optimistic speculation about stuff that hasn't been invented yet. It is, in fact, exactly how one is supposed to use science. That's why it's a method, and not a guarantee. Just because you got a wrong answer once doesn't mean you didn't apply its principles correctly.

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    Called it. Like I said, the above can hardly be called scientific rigor or understanding of physics. In fact, I don't know what to call it. But the thread title seems to suggest an option.

[face_laugh] Exactly. Really, the extent to which you're following the script I wrote for you is quite flattering. If the studies agree with you, they're "credible and rigorous"; if they don't, they're not. Did somebody say something about confirmation bias?

Nope. The link consists of human beings, who, as far as you're concerned, simply aren't there.

10. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Can you please produce these studies which have identified a link between cell phone use and cancer? I've never heard of such a thing anywhere other than fringe media and would be interested to see what prompted your belief.

11. Lord Vivec

Apr 17, 2006
    Uh...that's actually something I said.

12. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005

The studies are all over the place actually. One study will come out saying that they can call cancer and then another will come out a month later it's not, while another altogether will say that there's just not enough data to prove one way or another.

13. Jabba-wocky

Jabba-wocky Chosen One star 10

May 4, 2003
    Yeah, I quoted AG Obama up there originally too. I was pretty sloppy about getting the right comments inside the quotes, though going back and reading his post it should be clear which comments of his I was responding to. Now it's hopefully all fixed, though.

14. Ghost

Ghost Chosen One star 8

Oct 13, 2003
    Yeah, it's been on NBC news, ABC, Yahoo's website, etc. before. There's not really a consensus yet, as Juliet says, or at least that's what it seems like from how the news reports it.

You know, if you left-click "Reply" or right-click it to open in a new tab/window, it automatically quotes the user for you... right?

15. MarcusP2

MarcusP2 Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 10, 2004
    Well, the vast majority of them found no causal link that I can see, with every health organisation posting either a 'possibly a link but no real evidence, do more studies' or 'no link'. I've yet to see any large organisation recommend limiting them.

I'd tend not to be concerned about non-ionising radiation.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  16. Narutakikun

Nov 8, 2012
    You can call it what you like. Snark doesn't change physics or biology.

No, really - that's actually what the credible and rigorous studies say. Here's the latest one, from the journal Epidemiology, and reported in the notoriously non-right wing Salon.con: http://www.salon.com/2012/12/12/theres_no_link_between_cell_phones_and_cancer/

Note that that's from less than a month ago, which should address your whole weird "If it's not recent, it doesn't count" thing.

Again, as with global warming, the vast preponderance of the most rigorous and credible studies come to one conclusion. There is a consensus, and there is one because science is what it is. Non-ionizing radiation is what it is, and does what it does. Facts are what they are, whether it's conservatives that don't like them, or liberals that don't like them.

17. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    Tony Perkins says goofy yoga is driving religion out of the military

Christian conservative leader Tony Perkins is upset — this time, about yoga classes being offered to military members.
    Why? Because the “goofy” style of exercise has been used as a “wacky” substitute for a “personal relationship with God,” effectively driving religion out of the military.
    At the beginning of his radio address this morning, the Family Research Council head declared: “In the military, it’s out with God–and in with the goofy!”

Limbaugh says liberals are trying to normalize pedophilia just like they did gay marriage

Such a normalization movement, he explained, “has two aspects to it: One is that sex with children doesn’t hurt them. Kids like it, and so do adults, and there’s nothing wrong with it.” The radio host then asked his audience to remember how they first felt when they heard about gay marriage, adding that the common reaction was one of disbelief that such a thing could ever become part of society.
    Nevertheless, he said, “there is a movement on to normalize pedophilia, and I guarantee you your reaction to that is probably much the same as your reaction when you first heard about gay marriage. What has happened to gay marriage? It’s become normal. And, in fact, with certain people in certain demographics it’s the most important issue in terms of who they vote for.”

I heard that air live.

[​IMG]

18. Fire_Ice_Death

Fire_Ice_Death Force Ghost star 7

Feb 15, 2001
    When did Limbaugh become a conspiracy peddler? I mean, before he was always wrong but he did at least attempt to exist within reality. Now he's not even trying to stick to any sort of reality except his own drug fueled haze.

19. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    This is one reason I think organized religion is ridiculous. What the hell kind of god would hate yoga, and who would worship such a god?

Yeah, taking care of your mind and body is a horrible, horrible thing.

20. Rogue1-and-a-half

Rogue1-and-a-half Manager Emeritus who is writing his masterpiece star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 2, 2000
    "Kids like it and so do adults." I have never heard anyone assert such a thing before. Did Limbaugh give a source for someone who is both arguing that children enjoy child abuse and is also not a pedophile? Ha ha, silly question.

21. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    He's in own source.

22. Darth-Lando

Darth-Lando Jedi Grand Master star 6

Aug 12, 2002
    The Rush Limbaugh Show: brought to you by N.A.M.B.L.A.!

23. Fire_Ice_Death

Feb 15, 2001
    Well, he does like the Dominican flavor.

24. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    First thing out of the gate and throughout his show he tried to back off this story. He tried to make it sound like he was innocently reporting what some paper across the pond was saying. This is utterly false. The paper does go on, he could have just read it but he pushed it as "look what I found they are really trying to do this you mark my words just like gay marriage". He was taken in proper context trying to push liberals as ok with pedophilia then tried to say he was taken out of context.

Spin, the lie, make tens of millions.

25. Juliet316

Juliet316 Chosen One star 10

Apr 27, 2005
    He and Ann Coulter should just get married already. Their perfect for each other.