main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Derp, DERP. Derpitimus Maximus. Derpity deeeeeeerp...

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    No politics here, but this is so insane I'm still shaking my head over it.

As most of you probably know, the United States Deep South is supposed to get winter weather today. I live in the NC foothills and it was projected that we would see a dusting - up to an inch of snow today while the Piedmont and Coast were to get more. It started snowing around 10:00 or so this morning. By 10:30 it was coming down pretty heavy, though not laying much (yet). About 10:45 I heard that schools in our area were planning to close early today at ... wait for it ... 1:00 PM!

WTH?!! Snow's already coming down, roads are turning slick, and they want to wait and dismiss school at 1 PM? That's nuts. Fortunately the higher ups saw sense and released most schools before noon, though one school system bucked before finally making a decision to release their schools at 2 PM.

Isn't the safety of the students more important than education in this instance?

2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Uh, 1 PM early cancellation for adverse weather conditions beginning at 10 AM is pretty standard. Hell, I'd call it pretty fast.

3. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    All of Charleston has essentially shut down for today and tomorrow, outside of essential services.

4. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Our campus shut down today as well as yesterday.

5. heels1785

heels1785 Skywalker Saga + JCC Manager / Finally Won A Draft star 10 Staff Member Manager

Dec 10, 2003
    Gov. Haley has also issued a state of emergency for all of South Carolina ahead of the "storm" tonight and tomorrow, in which we're expected to get 2-3 inches of snow.

My pal MandaloreYak started his car in -11 degree weather (not windchill) up north today and went to work as usual.

This is overreaction to the extreme, but at least I don't have to work. Hooray government employment!

6. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Uh, maybe for you, but here, if looks like it's going to be pretty bad (which this is shaping up to be) they usually send students home ASAP. Think about it. If they had waited until 1, there could have been accidents with the school buses because of slick roads. There's already been reports online of multiple accidents in one nearby county, icluding a school bus.

7. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    Meh the school system ain't perfect. During conditions like this in high school, we'd always be released at 1.

Admiral Volshe likes this.
  8. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    OK, I thought our local school situation was ridiculous, but at least those in charge showed sense. Not so in Atlanta. I found this comment on an MSNBC article:

"I wrote earlier about the Atlanta Public School System blowing the opportunity to safeguard their elementary school students. It's all over the news in Atlanta and hearing fr some employees; hundreds and hundreds of Atl Public School students are stuck at schools with nowhere to go and no way to get there. No planning, no plan, nothing but APS leadership twiddling their collective thumbs while the mess gets worse by the minute. This is an outrage. And it's not like they didn't have plenty of notice to make a decision. It became abundantly clear last evening that snow and ice was going to hit us head on. Frankly, local school systems should have been closed for the entire day. Atlanta Public Schools have a lot of Q's to answer on this one. But as has always been the case, you won't get anything but blithering excuses out of them - if anything at all."

Checked Atlanta Public Schools' page on FB and it's true; students stuck at schools with nowhere to go.

Morons!

9. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    There's always derp with school releases for weather. And in defense of the officials making the call, they'd get yelled at no matter what they did.

I used to post on a parenting website when my kids were smaller; no matter what the schools did, they were wrong. If they cancelled, they wasted a day and should just put chains on the bus tires. If they opened school, they risked kids' lives.

In your situation school probably have just been cancelled. We got out at 1 here but the snow didn't start until about 4.

10. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I remember when I was in school, the school board was a bit hesitant to declare snow days, so much so that when I was in high school they didn't call off school for the day on a nasty winter day until I had already gotten to school. (Boy, I remember the cheers in the hallways when the vice-principal announced the declaration of a snow day over the school's PA system.)

Now, with all the nasty cold and snow we've been having, they did something unthinkable back in my day: call off school the night before, which happened Sunday night.

Kids today :(.

11. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
    i'm a little curious about these snow days. how much snow does it take for a school to shut down?

12. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    About the same amount you Norwegians get in mid-May.

There is an inch of snow covering my yard right now and school is cancelled. Nobody around here knows how to drive in this.

Juliet316 and Zapdos like this.
  13. Zapdos

Zapdos Force Ghost star 5

Jan 7, 2013
  14. heels1785

Dec 10, 2003
    We have zero snow, less than a 1/4 inch of ice and every single bridge in Charleston/Summerville/North Charleston/Mt. Pleasant is closed and guarded by police.

Rogue1-and-a-half likes this.
  15. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
  16. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    I saw some of that on the news last night and I can't figure out how it got that bad. We had some traffic slowdowns especially on I-85 but everyone was able to get where they were going, and we had the same amount of snow. We had salt trucks out Monday night and Tuesday morning but that's the only thing I can think of that might have been different.

17. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    When Britain shuts down for snow we get all the right wingers and anti-'elf&safety' brigade claiming it's just us work-shy nanny-state-pandered weaklings who can't handle a bit of frost. It's comforting to know we're not actually the only ones.

18. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    To be honest, though, when it comes down to winter weather, Brits are a bunch of wusses. :p

slightly_unhinged and V-2 like this.
  19. V-2

V-2 Jedi Grand Master star 5

Dec 10, 2012
    I think it's more a case of any excuse to have a day off work and get pissed.

20. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    In Charlotte we get a lot of transplants from northern states, and they are always eager to tell us what wusses we are when it comes to cold, snow and ice.

And to some extent they're right. In our defense we aren't going to spend money on snow removal equipment that we'd use maybe once a year. And people who have never had to drive in winter weather, won't know how to do it.

And of course expecting people to use common sense like "don't drive on ice at the same speed that you'd drive on asphalt," is always too much.

21. Mar17swgirl

Mar17swgirl Chosen One star 7

Dec 26, 2000
    Yeah, so many winter road accidents could be avoided if people would just drive more slowly and carefully.

I our Traffic Code there is this magical clause that says that "the driver must always adjust their speed according to the weather, state of the road surface, and their own driving skill". :p

22. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    I could be wrong, but I think most big snowstorms (at least here in the Carolinas foothills) seem to come in March, though we have had our share from Nov. through Feb. too. The 1993 Blizzard, for instance, and the system that dumped several inches of snow overnight in mid March 2005. I remember that one because we were out shopping for the car that eventually became mine. A cold rain was falling that afternoon and evening. When I woke up the next morning there was snow on the ground. Not to mention the more recent blow in March 2010.

23. anakinfansince1983

Mar 4, 2011
    Nope, you're not wrong, it's always been that way. My earliest memory of a March Snowpacolypse was in 1980; we had just moved back to North Carolina after my Dad got off active duty and went into the reserves (Coast Guard).

24. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Ha, that's an apt description!

25. I Are The Internets

Nov 20, 2012
    I just find it strange that our campus got two snow days even though it wasn't snowing and it was only about 10 below.