main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Senate Derp, DERP. Derpitimus Maximus. Derpity deeeeeeerp...

Discussion in 'Community' started by VadersLaMent, Sep 4, 2012.

1. Mortimer Snerd

Mortimer Snerd Force Ghost star 4

Dec 27, 2012
    Every once in a while I try to have a positive outlook on life. Whenever I see this thread that urge goes away.

What the actual **** is wrong with people?!

anakinfansince1983 likes this.
  2. Ramza

Ramza Administrator Emeritus star 9 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Jul 13, 2008
    Plus if Satan'd liked it he woulda put a ring on it.

3. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    But but but God.

Or something.

4. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
  5. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    Well, of course. When they say they want prayer in school, what they're really saying is that they want their own religion to be taught in school, not any other religions.

6. wannasee

wannasee Jedi Master star 4

Jan 24, 2007
    Religion can legally be taught in schools and I think it should be (although not in science class, obviously).

It would be good for developing cross-cultural understanding.

Rogue1-and-a-half and V-2 like this.
  7. Alpha-Red

Alpha-Red Chosen One star 7

Apr 25, 2004
    Yeah. Just look at all those laws that were passed banning sharia law from being implemented in various states (when Muslims are less than 1% of the population) while the religious right is basically trying to impose the Christian version of sharia on everyone else.

8. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    What is the Christian version of sharia? Is there a liberal form of sharia? Mexican sharia?

9. Arawn_Fenn

Arawn_Fenn Chosen One star 7

Jul 2, 2004
    To be honest, they give out degrees to just about anyone these days. You just have to have a pulse and refrain from shooting the place up, and you're good to go.

10. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    They have classes like that. They're called cultural anthropology classes.

11. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    I'm perfectly okay with an elective class such as Comparative Religions. I took one myself. I think such a course is very important as religion has played such a role in history,

But.

Religion should not be taught in public schools, but church. But teaching ABOUT religion is fine with me if not mandatory or a cover for teaching religion.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  12. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    Religion should not be required to be taught in school under any circumstances whatsoever.

13. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    Your forceful declaration has convinced me.

Violent Violet Menace likes this.
  14. VadersLaMent

VadersLaMent Chosen One star 10

Apr 3, 2002
    It is appropriate you are posting in this thread.

Mortimer Snerd likes this.
  15. Emperor_Billy_Bob

Emperor_Billy_Bob Jedi Grand Master star 7

Aug 9, 2000
    Mexican Sharia is good with melted cheese.

16. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  17. Violent Violet Menace

Violent Violet Menace Manager Emeritus star 5 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2004
    We have mandatory religion class in Norway already from elementary school. It's called "Religion, Livssyn (Norwegian word translating to 'view on life' or 'life philosophy') and Ethics", and teaches the history of the major religions and delves superficially into their tenets. The curriculum also deals with various ethical schools of thought and the history of Western moral philosophy. Originally, the class was straightforward Bible study, teaching Christianity and unapologetically so. The name of the class was simply "Christianity". Unlike, say, the US or France, the Norwegian constitution clearly stipulates that Lutheran Protestantism is the state religion. To my knowledge, this is true of the other Scandinavian countries as well, and that's probably why the Scandinavian populations are mostly atheist, or at the very least non-religious. Backlash, I'm thinking. You were also automatically registered into the State Church upon birth until last year, when the State Church was formally abolished. I think... Zapdos, you have to correct me anywhere I'm wrong.

Anyway, in 97 they reformed the school curricula across the board, but since the Christian democrats (Christian People's Party) were in the governing coalition at the time, they managed to secure a compromise where, even though the class was changed to a comparative religions and philosophy class, it still disproportionately focused on Christianity. The name of the class was changed to "Christianity, with religions and life views studies", until 2003, when another curriculum reform took place, and the class became what it is today.

Both sides of the political aisle seem to support having the class in the curriculum, as they feel that in a world where most of the earth's population believe in some sort of religion, it can't hurt to have some basic knowledge into what shapes their worldview. Your understanding of history would be impaired to some degree without some basic grasp on the major religions, I feel, so I'm inclined to agree that it's a good idea to continue having the class in the curriculum. Especially for a nation of atheists, I think without a cliff's notes understanding of the major religions, you'd have a hard time relating to most of the outside world. Consider it a diagnosis. If you're inclined to think a religious person is psychotic, you at least have a register of symptoms that you can cross-reference to know what to expect.

18. Mortimer Snerd

Dec 27, 2012
    That was an excellent post.

19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Indeed. Teaching religion or ignoring the impact religion has had and does have on the world are equally wrong in my view: one really should have exposure to different religious thoughts and how they have impacted culture socially and politically. But "how to believe" and "what to believe" in the specific church or home in the US.

20. VadersLaMent

Apr 3, 2002
  21. Juliet316

Juliet316 39x Hangman Winner star 10 VIP - Game Winner

Apr 27, 2005
    Is she in anyway related to Paul Harvey?

22. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    I am appalled at what passes for journalism on the internet. A soundbite is not a story.

I'm sure she's an anti-gay nut, probably without anything much of substance to say, but these seem to be only her introductory remarks. I would have liked to hear how she defended her point of view.

As it is written, i only come away thinking that the reporter has done a bad job.

23. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    LOL, that point of view is defensible?

24. wannasee

Jan 24, 2007
    It's important to hear people out. They may surprise you.

25. timmoishere

timmoishere Force Ghost star 6

Jun 2, 2007
    That reminds me of this:
    [​IMG]