main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Descendants teaser now on YouTube and Stage 6!

Discussion in 'Fan Films, Fan Audio & SciFi 3D' started by DorkmanScott, Sep 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DorkmanScott

DorkmanScott Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Mar 26, 2001
    So for a while we had the teaser we shot, in July, on an upcoming new website pending an exclusive web distribution deal with them. Well, the deal didn't work out and so the trailer is no longer exclusive to that site and we can put it up wherever we please. :)

It was kind of annoying to have to get people to register just to watch the trailer anyway. That being so, I thought I'd let everyone know that the trailer is now available for no-strings-attached viewing on YouTube and Stage6. This is the same trailer you've already seen, just in better quality (at least on Stage6).

Please link, embed, and otherwise spread the word around to your heart's content.

2. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    Cool.

EDIT: If you felt like doing a small piece on it for rhys-works.com, that'd be some exposure for you.

3. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    Thanks Mike! Sorry the deal didn't pull through. Still, an awesome achievement all the same.

_Max

4. Adobe-Wan

Adobe-Wan Jedi Youngling star 1

May 11, 2007
    Awesome no matter where it's hosted.

5. MarcusDade

MarcusDade Jedi Master star 4

Apr 5, 2006
    Awesome! I shall watch it again! :p

And as MedB said, its still an awesome achievement. Not many people can say they've met Ray Park, let alone directed him in something. Granted it was only a trailer, but it will STILL a trailer. So you can still put it on your resume and reel. :)

6. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    Well, the deal didn't work out with one particular website. We're pursuing other avenues, so it's still likely to become more than a trailer at some point.

7. Med_21B

Med_21B Jedi Master star 4

Apr 21, 2004
    Good! :)

_Max

8. VaporTrail

VaporTrail Jedi Grand Master star 6

May 19, 2002
    Sounds good. I was kind of hoping to be able to d/l it. I hope it's not as chunky as the RvD2 file, and my computer will play it smoothly.[face_worried]

-Vaportrail

9. PixelMagic

PixelMagic Jedi Grand Master star 5

Oct 8, 2001
    Forgive me if this has already been answered in the other thread, but what camera was this shot on?

10. Lord_Charisma

Lord_Charisma Jedi Padawan star 4

Feb 9, 2001
    I'm sorry it didn't pull through for you. Looks like we may have to wait around for a bit longer to get some episodes.

To be honest it wasn't terribly difficult to find a download to a high-resolution Quicktime of the trailer on the ShareNow site, but I refrained from posting the link :p

11. G-Unit

G-Unit Jedi Padawan star 4

May 23, 2004
    that is too bad this particular deal did not pan, but with Ryan's recent emmy win and the high quality of the teaser i have full confidence in you guys finding another way. It is an amazing accomplishment by itself.

12. SilentBat

SilentBat Jedi Knight star 4

Aug 28, 2006
    Argh, I registered for nothing.

13. snorts2ez

snorts2ez Jedi Youngling star 1

May 28, 2007
    I had never seen the Descendants trailer before. That looked fantastic! When it comes to this movie I'm very ignorant because I haven't heard much about it at all. To clarify, Mike you're the one directing it right? And are you doing the visual effects for it also?

14. elemental_fantasy

elemental_fantasy Jedi Padawan star 4

Mar 6, 2006
    Hey dorkmanscott, that looks great dude. I wished you had used better cameras. But it still looks a beauty. I wanna see this one.

Better cameras as in $200,000 sup 35 or 65mm panavision film cameras. Everything about the trailer screamed blockbuster hollywood rival, but the camera. Could also be in the doctoring.

No worries though, your gonna get there very very soon mike. ;)

15. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    The original plan was to have me and Ryan co-direct. But the way things are working out now, it's starting to make more sense for us to specialize and each focus on one job rather than sharing multiple ones. So at this point, what we're looking at is me directing, and Ryan as VFX supervisor, or some other key position. Although depending on the budget, there's a good chance I will be firing up After Effects at some point in the process.

If that wish extends to fronting the money for us to shoot on film, then your wish is my command.

Frankly, if we had shot this teaser on film, we wouldn't have been able to finish it. Besides cost, it takes so much longer to set up for film, you can't be sure you got it until the next day, and we had no room for error. We had 6 hours in the church where we shot the opening scene, and 6 hours in the back alley where we shot the rest of the stuff (and there are a lot of shots that didn't make the teaser that we thought, at the time, we needed), only two days in Ray's schedule, and less than a week to do all the post. Shooting film and having to deal with development, scanning/telecine, all the other things that film needs to be digitally workable, it would have been impossible. Shooting digital it was only improbable.

As it is, I'm pretty much set on shooting Descendants on the RED. So the imagery will be more cinematic than the HVX alone produces. Although I will say, I still am and have always been happy with the quality the HVX can achieve.

16. Lord_Charisma

Feb 9, 2001
    What's your reservation number?

17. DorkmanScott

Mar 26, 2001
    1028. ALMOST 1024, which would have been awesome.

18. MasterZap

MasterZap Jedi Padawan star 4

Aug 11, 2002
    Whoah... is Dorkman turning from a Dork into a Nerd!? Neat! ;)

/Z

19. Lightsaber_Monster

Lightsaber_Monster Jedi Youngling star 3

Oct 11, 2005
    Amazing trailer, this is actually the first time Ive seen this, very well done!

20. Vidina

Vidina Jedi Master star 4

Jan 11, 2006
    damnit.
    [image=http://images.divx.com/s6/stage6-maintenance.gif]

21. DVeditor

DVeditor Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Dec 21, 2001
    But think of all the fun mail they'll send you now! :p

Good to see the trailer getting around, even if it means the initial plan changed a bit. Keep up the good work guys!

22. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    You got * Ray Park for this film?!?

Holy frijoles! That's about as awesome as it gets!!

It look really good. We're talking professional quality across the board. I would love to see this one actually finished!

23. Rhys

Rhys Jedi Master star 4

Jun 27, 2005
    And entered into the Harry Potter Wand Duel Competition.

24. Lord_Charisma

Feb 9, 2001
    Well, ALMOST across the board. I think there were some outside bits that could have done with some additional lighting to bring it out of the "quickly shot in the park" zone. But I'm sure this was simply down to the time they had Ray for.

25. durbnpoisn

durbnpoisn TFN Staff Cast & Crew Database star 5 VIP

May 20, 2002
    "in the Park?"

Was that an intentional pun? [face_laugh]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.