main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Descendent of the Dark

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction Stories--Classic JC Board (Reply-Only)' started by jedi_master_gimpy, May 10, 2000.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jedi_master_gimpy

jedi_master_gimpy Jedi Master star 4

Jan 12, 2000
    Okay, I realize quite a few of you people know me know, so hopefully this story will get better response than it did when I first tried to post it! This is a story I wrote before episode 1 came out, it's about a girl and her brother. And don't worry everyone, since it's already finished you don't have to worry about it taking time away from my JA stories!

Here's the first segment or so, comments are greatly appreciated!
    =========================
    =========================

Descendent of the Dark

Talja Ducherra drove the landspeeder quickly down the dirt road, tall trees passing on either side. She looked nervously at her chrono. Mother and Father had sent her to town to trade two used power generators for a new R2 unit. Talja had stopped to talk to her friend Ceri and was late getting back. Her parents would be angry.

At twenty, Talja could technically leave her parents and their small farm on Anor, but they were against it and Talja had nowhere else to go.

Talja often got hunches about what or when to do something, or she knew something was going to go wrong before it happened. When she told her parents about it, they had told her that their family had a history of being Force sensitive. Talja had wanted to leave and study to be a Jedi, but her parents were against it from the start. She knew it was the memory of her brother.

Jordyn had left when Talja was four; she didn?t remember him at all. She could still hear her mother telling her about him. Kirna?s eyes had looked off in the distance, through the years to a happier time. ?He was such a good boy,? she would say. ?Tall and strong. He looked just like your father,? Kirna said, turning to smile at Talja. ?He was always laughing or smiling and was very strong in the Force as well.? Her expression would sadden as tears came to her eyes. ?Jordyn just up and left when he was sixteen. He wanted to become a Jedi Knight and save the galaxy. We never heard from him again.?

He would be twenty-nine now, Talja reflected as the landspeeder burst through the edge of the trees, the farm just at the bottom of the hill. Talja desperately wanted to meet the brother she had never me. She had touched his old clothes and books with amazement, wondering what he had been like.

As the house came into sight around the storage shed, Talja gasped in surprise at the strange landspeeder parked in the dust. She quickly brought her vehicle to a creaking stop and jumped out, leaving the R2 unit in the back. Talja ran to the house, smoothing back her long blond hair and wiping the sweat from her green eyes. She burst into the kitchen, where her parents and a strange young man were sitting at the table.

Talja sucked in a deep breath as the handsome man turned to look at her. He had a shock of hair every bit as blond as hers, the same green eyes, and her father?s easy smile. After thirteen years, her brother was home.

===========================

A life-sized image of Darth Surien shimmered to life in front of Darth Ryun. Darth Ryun kneeled on one knee and bowed his head. ?Master,? he said. ?What is thy bidding??

?Have you found a suitable apprentice?? Darth Surien?s dark, cloaked figure asked.

?I have,? Darth Ryun answered. ?A young farmer from Anor. Very strong in the Force. His family has a history of being turned to the dark side.?

?He will fit in nicely with the others. What is his name?? Darth Surien asked in his gravely voice.

?Jordyn Ducherra. Right now he is at home, trying to convince his sister to join him, as I have instructed.?

?Hi sister?? Darth Surien mused. ?Yes, she will come eventually. I have foreseen it. After they have been trained, I will rule whole worlds. The galaxy will quake in fear at me and my?enforcers.?

?Emperor Palpatine also tried to-? Darth Ryun started.

?My older brother was too ambitious,? Surien said scornfully, his orange eyes glowing angrily within his wrinkled face. ?He was slightly stronger than I in the Force,? he amended. ?But that was his weakness. He became too greedy. And that, my dear a

2. Jedi Milan-Kenobi

Jedi Milan-Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Jan 7, 2000
    Oh...noooo i'm hooked again.

3. Darth Cerberus

Darth Cerberus Jedi Master star 3

Sep 12, 1999
  4. Jessica Kenobi

Jessica Kenobi Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 6, 2000
    All right! another story by Master Gimpy! I love it when I'm cruising the titles and a fanfic by you pops up. This story was a thrill to read as all are!

5. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Heheh, thanks all! I wasn't sure if this would get any replies Jessica, because JA is so much more popular. Thanks for reading it, you loyal fan you!
    ===============================
    ===============================

Talja stood there dumbfounded, taking in everything about this brother she never knew.

Jordyn leaped to his feet, rubbing his hand down his jumpsuit and then reaching it out to her hesitantly. ?Hello, Talja,? he said, his deep voice warm and pleasant. ?I?m your brother.?

Suddenly Talja could move again, could feel her arms and legs tingling with excitement. She ignored his hand, and instead threw her arms around his neck in a gigantic hug. Jordyn?s arms enveloped her, and when Talja finally stepped back he was smiling warmly and there were tears in his eyes.

Kirna bustled around the kitchen, getting out some dewback ribs she?d been saving for a long time. ?Mother!? Jordyn protested. ?I don?t want you doing extra work because I?m here. Please come sit back down.?

Kirna just smiled, radiating happiness. ?I want to fix them for you, Jordyn. I?m so happy you?re finally home.?

Jordyn sobered. ?I?m not staying, Mother.?

Kirna slowed. ?How long will you be here?? she asked quietly.

Jordyn shrugged. ?A few days. And I want to take Talja with me when I leave.?

Talja?s father looked at him with concern. ?She?s only twenty, Jordyn. Too young to go gallivanting across the galaxy.?

Jordyn smiled. ?I know you want the best for Talja, and for me. You?ll feel even lonelier when she?s gone. But I left when I was even younger than she. Look: I?m fine! I want to take Talja with me, Father. To train as a Jedi.?

Talja held her breath. Could it be possible? Could she have the chance to train as a Jedi? ?Please, Father,? she begged. ?Please. It?s what I want more than anything!?

Her father drew in a deep breath and let it out heavily. ?I?m sorry, Talja. But my answer is no.?

=======================
    The next three days passed too quickly for Talja. Jordyn told her about working as a mechanic on Bothawui, and working on activities to strengthen his bonds to the Force. Together they fixed up the R2 unit, installing a datapad so that the R2 could print out messages they could understand. Talja named him Beep.

Jordyn showed her his lightsaber, and told her about constructing it. ?I wish you could go with me, Talja,? he told her seriously. ?It?s rough, though. Trying to follow the ways of the Force with no one to guide you.? Jordyn looked at her with a troubled expression. ?Almost all of the Jedi Masters were killed after the Clone Wars.? His tone had turned lighter. ?I found someone to teach me, though. I met him on Coruscant while I was traveling here. A real Jedi Master, Talja! I?m meeting him on Corellia when I leave.?

Then he was gone. Talja missed his jokes and laughter, his tales about the Jedi. Until Jordyn came, she had been content at the farm. Yet now something was missing.

===========================
    ?What of this Ducherra? Is he as strong in the Force as you thought?? Darth Surien questioned.

?Yes, Master,? Darth Ryun assured him. ?He has amazing abilities. It will be hard to turn him.?

Darth Surien steepled his gnarled hands together in front of him. ?It will be easier than you think, apprentice. What of his sister??

Even the distance and fuzziness of the holoprojector could not hide Darth Ryun?s sudden discomfort. ?She did not come, Master. Apparently her parents forbid it.?

Darth Surien?s face and expression hardened. ?Kill them. With her parents dead, she will come to us, and both will turn to the dark side. It will be as I have seen.?

?I will see to it myself, Master.?

6. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
  7. Darth Cerberus

Sep 12, 1999
    Hey Gimpy! You said this story was already finished. POST!!!! I've been waiting

8. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Wow! I thought no one wanted to read it! Thanks, Darth Cerberus! Sorry I haven't posted in so long! Here ya go!
    =====================
    =====================

Talja hummed to herself as she screwed Beep?s dome head back on. ?There, Beep,? she said with satisfaction. ?Now that that servomotor is tightened, everything should be fine.?

Beep whistled, and Talja glanced at the datapad rigged to the little green R2?s side. ?I?m glad everything checks out fine.? Talja stood and stretched. ?Mom should have dinner ready by now. You stay here, Beep, maybe shut down for a while.?

Talja left the little R2 in the vehicle storage shed and headed for the kitchen. Come to think of it, Kirna should have called her a while ago. Talja frowned. Oh well, it really didn?t matter.

As Talja got closer to the house, a feeling of dread overcame her. The hair on the back of her neck rose. Talja tried to calm her nervousness. Why should she have this sense of darkness surrounding her? She tried to put it aside, but never the less she entered the dining room alertly. From the doorway everything seemed fine. It was quiet, and Talja could smell kmor bread baking. It was too quiet. Talja walked all the way in and stopped, too paralyzed to move.

Her father was slumped in his chair at the table. His head hung limply to his chest. His eyes bulged slightly and his lips had a tinge of blue, but there were no marks on him. His face was a combination of surprise, horror and agony. It was as if some huge hand had come down and squeezed the life out of him, and then left without a trace of it being there.

Kirna was in a small heap in the doorway from the kitchen. A tray, broken dishes and cold food lay around her. Her neck was obviously broken from the odd angle it lay at. Her hands were curved claws, reaching up to her throat in her final agonizing seconds of life.

Abruptly Talja became aware of the tears running down her face, that she had somehow fallen to her knees. A presence of evil was shrouding her, pressing in against her, a dark storm cloud of the Force mocking her parents? blue face. Someone was screaming, a high-pitched keening sound and Talja realized distantly that it was her. The evil pushed in, and Talja tried to cover her ears and keep it out, then sank mercifully back into the empty darkness.

--------------------

Darth Ryun watched with pleasure as the Ducherra girl passed out.. It had been child?s play to let himself into the house. With training, the boy would be stronger than Ryun, the girl about equal. But the girl had no training yet. It was a simple matter to cloak the Force around her parents and himself.

He had enjoyed killing them. Darth Ryun had greedily sucked in their pain and suffering, feeding his own anger with it. He had also used the Force to make himself invisible behind a large piece of furniture, attracting no notice. Darth Ryun had probed the girl with the Force, and while he knew she noticed the intensity of the Force at the time, he was positive she hadn?t seen him.

Ryun stepped over the girl?s crumpled body and walked out the door, across the yard, and to his small ship parked in the woods. He laughed quietly. The anger and sadness of their parents? death would be what finally turned Jordyn and Talja to the dark side.

9. RogueJai

RogueJai Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 14, 2000
    Nononononononononononononononoooooooooooo !!!!!!!!!!!!!! Please, for Force's sake noo!! Ahhh! Evil person! Evil!!! Growl grrrrr I will kill the Sith!!!!! I'm fine. Really.

10. Ejedir2

Ejedir2 Jedi Padawan star 4

May 20, 2000
    MORE FROM GIMPY, MORE FROM GIMPY. .c'mon peeps join the chant. . MORE FROM GIMPY, MORE FROM GIMPY. . .

GREAT story. I really like it. And btw JA isn't EVERYTHING in SW. Can I be a loyal fan too PLEASE, pretty please POST MORE SOON!

p.s. You're AWESOME!

11. jedi jaffacake

jedi jaffacake Jedi Youngling star 1

May 12, 2000
    Oooh, I like this! The part where Talja discovers her parents' bodies is very well written. Up it goes....

12. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    wow!! I'm picking up readers left and right!! Glad to know you're in it so much, RogueJai! Ejedir, this is the first story I ever posted at the *other* site! why thank you, jedi jaffacake! Sorry it took me so long to post the next part, it's just that I've been EXTREMELY busy lately!
    =======================
    =======================

The first thing Talja noticed when she came-to was the cold. A slight breeze chilled her, rustling her hair and clothes. Then she became aware of the pain in her muscles from lying in an uncomfortable position on a hard floor for so long. Talja didn?t want to wake up, for that would mean excepting the nightmare. She scrubbed a hand across her face, feeling the stickiness of dried tears.

Talja willed her eyes open, but it was dark and hard to see anything. She pushed herself up to a sitting position, her muscles screaming. A sob escaped at the sight of her dead parents. Their skin had cooled to a ghostly chalk-white, their bodies stiffly frozen in agony during rigor mortis. For some reason the door had remained open, and the cold night air was drifting in.

The darkness was still there, but not as bad. Small insects were buzzing around the stale food, her parents? glassy eyes accusing her. Talja stumbled to the open door, fell to her knees, and retched.

When she was done she huddled just outside the door, her knees pulled up to her chest, her head pillowed in her arms, shivering uncontrollably.

-----------------------

When she looked up again about an hour later, the moon had risen further in the sky. Talja estimated it to be around midnight. Why hadn?t she known? She should have felt something through the Force, she should have known! Talja remembered the evil whirl pooling around the room, and understood. Someone evil, someone who had the Force, had done it. They had used the Force to crush her parents? windpipes, to keep her from sensing it.

Talja?s thoughts went immediately to Jordyn. Was he okay? Had he been killed as well?

Talja stood up decisively, knowing what she would do. She would go and find Jordyn. There was too much pain to stay. Every time she walked into the house she would see her parents? bodies.

Talja went around to the front door, avoiding the kitchen. She quickly packed a light suitcase and gathered up as many credits as she could find.

She wrote a letter and left it on her desk. It explained what had happened and left the farm to a family friend until she or Jordyn returned. Then Talja went to the vehicle shed and stowed her suitcase and Beep in the landspeeder.

Talja couldn?t avoid it any longer. She walked the long way through the house to the kitchen, passing a hand over familiar furniture for the last time. On impulse she picked up a picture of her, Kirna, and her father all smiling in front of the house, then hurried to the kitchen. Talja grabbed enough food to last her a few days. She stepped over her mother?s body, gently closing her eyes. She did the same to her father, took a last glance around the room and walked out the door for the last time.

13. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Come on, ppls!! It wasn't that bad, was it?

14. Darth Cerberus

Sep 12, 1999
    Bashing head into computer screen

GIMPY!!! We've already discussed this. POST!!!

You are definitely going to have to change your name to Sith Lord Gimpy if you keep us waiting so long in between posts. tongue.gif

15. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    redface.gif Sorry, Darth Cerberus!! redface.gif Here's some more!!

==============
    ==============

Talja looked around with frustration. She had been dropped off on Bothawui because she didn?t have enough money to make it all the way to Corellia. Talja had just gotten off the ship she had traveled on and was completely lost. She had barely enough money to get a small room for a few days. Talja would have to find somewhere to work. But where?

A spaceport, Talja thought. She had helped out around the farm and knew her machinery. Beep could help her. Talja looked around determinedly with that goal in mind. Her confidence wavered as she had trouble spotting any obvious places to inquire about a job. Talja felt hopeless, lost and confused. If not for the comforting presence of Beep beside her, she might have sat down and cried. Just then Talja felt the flare of a Force presence close behind her, and then a tap on her shoulder.

==========================

Daren Maryo was a regular at the spaceport. Almost twenty-one with light brown hair and clear blue eyes, Daren knew almost every ship and captain that passed through this Bothawui spaceport regularly. Daren was a great mechanic and sometimes copilot. He went from ship to ship, but always ended back at Bothawui.

Daren was on his way to meet with Captain Shirv about getting a contract on his ship, the Space Worthy, when he noticed the figure standing in the middle of the crowd, looking around with confusion.

He might as well help the person. No, he needed to help them. He could feel it.

Daren approached the figure, noting as he did so the little green R2 standing by the girl?s side. For as he got closer, he determined by the posture and outline of the figure that it was indeed a girl, standing with her back to him.

Daren had reached her now, and tapped her on the shoulder. The girl turned, and Daren was confronted with amazingly green eyes, silky blond hair, and the clear, pretty face of a girl a few years younger than he.

?Yes, what is it?? The girl asked with a touch of fear in her voice. Her hand rested possessively on top of the R2?s domed head.

Daren found himself speechless for a moment, it hadn?t crossed his mind what to say when he got there. ?Um, you looked like you could use a little help?? Daren said.

The girl flushed, and gave her shoulders a small shrug. ?As a matter of fact, I could use a little help. I?m looking for a job working with ships.?

?You came to the right place,? Daren said with an easy smile. ?That?s where I?m going right now.? He held out a hand. ?Daren Maryo. Care to join me??

The girl shook his hand and smiled. ?Talja Ducherra. And yes, I would.?

16. tony the jedi

tony the jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2000
    Ok it has come to that tough time in life where i have to decide what i want to do with my future. I am very interested in going into film production and computer graphics, and there are several schools around me that specialize in those things. What i want to know is, are there any of you out there who are alreay majoring in film production or any kind of computer or 3D graphics? Is there anyone who has a job doing these things?? What is the outlook for the future? Do you think i can find a job and make it in those areas? Any advice will help a confused college student out greatly. Thanks.

17. Flamberge

Flamberge Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 17, 2000
    What you want to do is strictly up to you, but maybe I can shine some light on the Computer Animation Industry for a minute. Most of this is my opinion though, so proceed with caution.

I am a Computer Animation Major. I transferred from a State College to an Art Institute. I start July 10th. Before coming here for school I spent two years working for a simulation software company, crunching out 3D objects for use in their simulation throughput. (Most of it was pretty crude though, but the more complex things looked nice.) I have made helicopters for Sikorski models, Fieros for GM models, and Avis rentacar buildings. I have also made countless forklifts and handtrucks, pallets, SRS systems, and conveyors. I enjoyed it immensely, and unlike some people, I actually enjoy the "Cubicle Farm" that some despise. The pay was good, the benefits were good, etc. The only drawback was that I knew I didn't want to be making forklifts for models for the rest of my life. I want to work for an animation company, or a computer game company, or anyone like that. There jobs there are amazing, and there are literally not enough people to fill them. I applied for a job while at the job mentioned above at a company that specilizes in movie and commercial special effects. (Ever seen the Dodge commercials? Ever see the newest Godzilla movie, or Antz?) They portfolio review was good, and the guy said he would have hired me on the spot five years ago because of my experience, but because of my lacking education I didn't get the job. They were looking for someone with strong drawing skills, sculpting, 3D experience, education preferable, etc. Nintendo of America even sponsers a school in Redmann Washington (called DigiPen) and hires a bulk of the graduates from there. You can major in computer animation or computer game programming there. I went to orientation there but they talked me out of it by saying "don't expect to have a job while to come here." I have a family, so I need to work while I go to school. the next step was where I am at now.

Now that you have heard my life story, my point is this: There are a bazillion oppurtunities in the computer animation industry, little competition (you won't have a problem finding a job,) and great possibilities long term. I will hopefully graduate in 2002, and if I got hired by ILM (yeah right) by then, I could conceivably work on Episode III!! McCallum said it best during the making of EP1 at the beginning of the collector's edition tape..

"this is a great time to be in filmmaking."
    it is also a great time to be in computer animation, lending special fx to those films.

hope this has helped.

- Flamberge

18. Batman

Batman Jedi Youngling star 1

Apr 19, 2000
    Well, I am only a freshman in college, and I really want to intern at ILM my Jr. and Sr. years. This will be when Episode 3 is coming out. From there, I will see what I want to do for the future.

Batman

19. tony the jedi

tony the jedi Jedi Youngling star 2

Apr 6, 2000
    Wow thanks Flamberge, that was a very helpful story. I have been trying to decide for a while and my gut feeling tells me to go with it, but i wasn't sure. I think you really helped me out. Anyone else have any good life stories like that?

20. blaze1

blaze1 Jedi Youngling star 1

May 23, 2000
    I hope this applies to this topic. I read your posts and I might be able to help. We are currently doing a fan film and are in need of someone who can do computer animation /cgi work for us. We know exactly what we shots we need. This project is unlike most fanfilms, for we are trying to make it look just like the real films. Many of the people involved have worked or currently work in the entertainment industry including myself. This could be a good way for you to create some work for a future portfolio. Please email me if you are interested.
    Thank you

21. RogueJai

Apr 14, 2000
    Hey, da Gimp? I need more. Quickly. I love this.

22. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Talja looked up at the Space Worthy, a medium-sized bordering on large, freighter in fairly good condition. Daren and Beep stood beside her on at the bottom of the boarding ramp. There had been no time to talk as Daren had led her through the jostling crowds, yet Talja already trusted him. It had happened suddenly, almost without her consent, but all of a sudden Talja trusted him and liked this strange boy.

Turning, she noticed him studying her, and she smiled. ?Are you ready?? Daren asked.

?As ready as I can be,? Talja replied ruefully.

?Captain Shirv is rather eccentric, but he?s a good man,? Daren assured her. With that, he led the way up the boarding ramp and called into the ship, ?Hello! Captain Shirv??

?That you, Daren?? A loud voice boomed out. ?Come on back to the cockpit.? Daren led them back to the cockpit, where Talja got her first look at Captain Shirv. He was a tall, large man with fiery red hair and a trim mustache framing his jovial face. ?Daren, my boy, it?s good to see you again!? Shirv enveloped Daren in a huge bear hug, so that Daren?s feet dangled a foot or so above the floor.

?It?s great to see you, too,? Captain,? Daren replied with just as much enthusiasm. ?This is Talja Ducherra. Talja, this is Captain Shirv.? He turned back to the Captain. ?She?s looking for a job around the spaceport, Captain. I thought you might be able to pass it along to the rest of the captains or something.?

Captain Shirv tapped a finger on his chin thoughtfully. ?As a matter of fact, I might be able to use an extra hand on this trip.? He turned his sharp gaze to Talja. ?Can you work an antigrav lift? Fix a decent meal? Know your way around ships? Can you fly at all?? Talja nodded her head to each. ?Then I guess I?ve got myself two new crewmen. Welcome aboard!?

=================

Time on the Space Worthy passed quickly. It took them two months to take a roundabout course from Bothawui to Coruscant, with many stops at backwater planets to trade. Talja came to think of Captain Shirv as an adopted father and Daren as a very special friend. During the long hyperspace jumps Talja would listen to the Captain and Daren?s wild stories.

Talja learned about Captain Shirv?s years as a young and brash pilot and of Daren?s childhood on Corellia. Talja noticed that Daren left out almost everything before he was twelve, when his parents died, and was also sketchy about events after that. For her part, Talja was also secretive. She told her companions very little about her childhood, and that her parents died in a landspeeder accident. She informed them she was trying to make it to Corellia to find her brother, leaving out any mention of the Force.

Captain Shirv would tell a hilarious story about when he tried to hunt wild boetays on Garos IV. Daren would insert a smart comment, and they would all laugh. Talja felt at peace for the first time since her parents? death during those conversations.
    But at night she was plagued with nightmares, and would wake up sweaty and gasping for breath. Waves of grief would wash over her.

Talja had been disappointed when they reached Coruscant, knowing it meant that her time aboard the Space Worthy was coming to an end. On the way back to Bothawui, Shirv dropped her off on Corellia with a generous amount of credits for her help, as well as well wishes for her future. Talja?s eyes had teared when they said goodbye, as had the Captain?s. He gave her an awkward hug, and made her promise to look him up again sometime. Daren had shaken her hand and hugged her warmly. Talja realized she was sadder to be leaving him than the Captain, and for the first time realized how much she had come to care for Daren, as a friend and possibly as something more. Before they left he had looked piercingly into her eyes, and Talja had shivered. It was as if he had known, in that moment, all the things she had left out about her parents, her brother. And it scared her.

23. RogueJai

Apr 14, 2000
    Just for me!! LOL thanx!! More?

24. The Butler

The Butler Jedi Padawan star 4

Oct 18, 1999
    To the top!

25. jedi_master_gimpy

Jan 12, 2000
    Hehe, yep that's right RogueJai!! It was just for you! Wow! I doth believe there be another read now! Hello, Butler!

=====================
    =====================

Then Talja was on her own, with Beep as her only company. She found an inexpensive hotel in Coronet, the capital city. It was not until she was settled in that she realized what a big task she had in front of her. How would she possibly find Jordyn? He could be anywhere on the planet. For all she knew, he had left a few days after he had gotten to Corellia!

After a few hours of hopelessly checking in nearby hotels for any mention of Jordyn, Talja remembered something Jordyn had told her. He had explained that often Jedi that were closely connected could telepathically communicate with each other, to a certain extent. They were brother and sister, so Talja thought it was worth a try, even though it most likely wouldn?t work.

Talja closed her eyes and tried to reach her mind out to the energy web of the Force. She felt it surrounding her, whirling about her too fast to make any sense of it. Talja willed her eyes open and took a few deep breaths to calm her thumping heart. She was trying too hard.

Talja forced herself to relax, and once again closed her eyes. This time she just concentrated on feeling her own presence, then slowly widened her perspective to include the beings in the rooms next to hers. It slowly encompassed the street in front, then the block, until Talja sensed thousands of beings. Into the void she sent one word: Jordyn.

She called him, all the while sorting through the presences, trying to find that one familiar one. Jordyn. And then an answer. A mental voice echoing back to her. Talja?

Talja?s heart soared. Jordyn? She asked. Where are you? In answer, a picture appeared before her mind?s eye. It was a small, well-known bar in the Corellian corner of Coronet. In an instant Talja was up and ready to go. She quickly gathered up her belongings, not trusting they?d really be there when she got back otherwise, and then hurried out the door, Beep trailing behind her.

----------------------

Talja burst into the bar, then quickly caught herself and tried to act nonchalant. An arm waved to her from one of the dark, smoky corners in the back.

Talja had to keep herself from running. As she approached, she saw Jordyn stand up to greet her. Talja hugged him, tears coming to her eyes.

Jordyn held her at arms length and surveyed her. ?You look a little worse for wear, sis,? he said. They sat down after Jordyn ordered a drink for each of them. ?What happened?? Jordyn asked with a smile when the waiter had left. ?Did the old man finally agree to let you come??

Talja immediately sobered, and looked down at the table top, her grief returning. ?No,? she said huskily, finding it hard to talk around the lump in her throat. ?I...they...they?re dead.? Talja blurted out, and as if a dam was released, all her tears and pain gushed out.

Jordyn took her by the shoulders. ?What do you mean, Talja? Who?s dead?? When she didn?t answer, he shook her, panic entering his voice. ?Talja! Who? Who?s dead??

?Mom?mom and dad,? Talja gasped, tears pouring down her face. In between sobs she told him what had happened, and then they held each other and wept.

-------------------

Jordyn took Talja back with him to the place where he was staying. Along the way she told him of Captain Shirv and her other experiences. Jordyn told her about some of the exercises he had done and showed her the lightsaber he had constructed, with a stunning blood red blade.

By then they had arrived at their destination. It was a medium-sized, one-story building in a surprisingly nice and rather wealthy part of Coronet, surrounded by businesses. The building was clean, sparse, and utilitarian both inside and out.

The white, cool, hospital-like corridors helped ease Talja?s pain, the sheer sterilized feeling of them allowing her to lose her own troubled personality for a while. This was a place of work and study, where she could put be

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.