main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

JCC Descendents of American Civil War Soldiers

Discussion in 'Community' started by Skywalker8921, Sep 14, 2013.

1. Rox

Rox Administrator Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Nov 24, 2000
    My family moved to America from Italy in the 20's so we don't have any relatives that participated in the Civil War.

2. poor yorick

poor yorick Ex-Mod star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA VIP - Game Host

Jun 25, 2002
    My mother's family hadn't immigrated from Europe yet at that point, and my father's family was out in Utah being Mormons. AFAIK, nobody involved in the Civil War. So I'm not going to post here.

EDIT: damn.

Point Given likes this.
  3. Miana Kenobi

Miana Kenobi Admin Emeritus star 8 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Apr 5, 2000
    Probably but I'm not sure. My dad's side came over from Wales right around the time of the war, but my mom's side traces back to John Hancock, so there's got to be a relative or two that fought in the war.

4. Rew

Rew Chosen One star 5

Dec 22, 2008
    I have an ancestor on my father's side who fought in the Civil War--even faked his age (as he was too young at the time) to do so. Seeing as I'm a pacifist, however, this isn't really any mark of pride for me. I think he fought on the Union's side, though.

Admittedly well after the Civil War, I also had a great grandfather on my mother's side who was a decorated naval captain, and was in fact fairly legendary in his day. (He had a damned awesome name too: Captain Halford Greenlee.) I doubt he'd be terribly proud of me, though, ha.

It's actually with a fair degree of irony that I attribute my pacifism to the strong degree of empathy that I always try to have, which was inculcated in me from an early age. It's a character trait I learned as a child primarily from my grandmother--i.e. the naval captain's daughter. ;)

5. Ender Sai

Ender Sai Chosen One star 10

Feb 18, 2001
    Confederates have none either, ayuk.

6. DantheJedi

DantheJedi Jedi Grand Master star 5

Aug 23, 2009
    I have ancestors that came to America in the early 19th century, but they only ever lived in the North, so no slave guilt here.

7. Darth McClain

Darth McClain Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Feb 5, 2000
    I have some on both sides on my mom's side. Not sure about my dad's side. My grandma's family was still in Sweden, but my grandpa's family was in the US. I haven't heard any family legends about it, so I don't think that there were any, but you never know.

8. Skywalker8921

Skywalker8921 Jedi Knight star 4

Jun 9, 2011
    Uncovered some more info. The POW ancestor served in the 26th North Carolina Infantry, Company B. Still haven't been able to figure out where he was captured, though.

The 26th North Carolina lost more men than any other regiment, Confederate OR Union, at Gettysburg; Company F was completely wiped out that July 3rd.

9. I Are The Internets

I Are The Internets Shelf of Shame Host star 9 VIP - Game Host

Nov 20, 2012
    All my ancestors were starving in Ireland at that point.

Lord Vivec likes this.
  10. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
  11. anakinfansince1983

anakinfansince1983 Skywalker Saga/LFL/YJCC Manager star 10 Staff Member Manager

Mar 4, 2011
    My great-great-great grandfather fought for a small North Carolina division; it might have very well been the 26th. He was killed in a small battle, shot in the stomach.

Not a slave holder, my ancestors on my Dad's side were sharecroppers.

12. Blithe

Blithe Jedi Master star 4

Jun 24, 2003

I'm thinking Copperhead.

13. MrZAP

MrZAP Jedi Grand Master star 5

Jun 2, 2007
    The majority of both sides of my family have been here since the colonial era, and settled in Virginia, North Carolina, and Pennsylvania, so there's a good chance I have family who fought on both sides of the war. I don't know enough about my genealogy pre-20th century, though, so I really have no details. I don't even know if the Southerners were in the upper class or "poor whites" so I don't know if they were slaveholders. In all likelihood they were lower class. The Northerners might not have been, but then, Pennsylvania hadn't been a slave state for some time by then.

14. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Farmers in my family, don't think any had slaves.

15. imperial_dork

imperial_dork Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Aug 11, 2003
    The only ancestors of mine that were here during that era were CA based Native Americans.

They wanted no part in your Cracker War.

16. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
    Bumping this thread back.

During a random search for my POW ancestor's name, I stumbled across a website that provided a LOT of information we didn't know.

Elias Darling "Darlin" Presley enlisted in Company B of the 26th North Carolina Infantry on Feb. 14th, 1863. He fought and was wounded in the first day's fighting at Gettysburg against the 24th Michigan, the "Iron Brigade", though not seriously, He also participated in Pickett's Charge two days later. Captured at Bristoe Station, Virginia, in mid October 1863. Transferred to Point Lookout, Maryland by the end of that month. There was an exchange of prisoners that Christmas, but Darlin and a cousin were not among those exchanged. He died at the prison in September 1864, just over ten months after his arrival.

According to this website, titled "The Kin of Rock and Roll," Darlin is a 4th cousin 3 times removed to singer Elvis Presley, which means that the branch of Darlin's descendents that includes my mother and me are very, very distantly related to Elvis.

(No, I'm not joking or making stuff up. I'm perfectly serious.)

17. Lord Vivec

Lord Vivec Chosen One star 9

Apr 17, 2006
    Generally when I am "perfectly serious" and am afraid people might think I am joking or making stuff up, I remedy that by posting some sort of hyperlink to a source that corroborates this information.

18. Skywalker8921

Jun 9, 2011
  19. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    For sure: my maternal grandfather's grandfather; known for a fact that he was at Gettysburg (Union).

I also have Revolutionary War ancestors. Quite a surprise for someone who thought I was 2nd/3rd generation immigrant on paternal side, and maybe 5th - 7th generation on the maternal side.