main
side
curve
  1. In Memory of LAJ_FETT: Please share your remembrances and condolences HERE

Saga Descent Into Darkness AOTC AU A/P, Z/?, O/S, Xan. Important author post

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction- Before, Saga, and Beyond' started by jacen200015, Mar 16, 2009.

1. jacen200015

jacen200015 Jedi Grand Master star 4

Jan 11, 2002
    Title: Descent Into Darkness
    Author: jacen200015
    Timeframe: AOTC
    Genre: AU
    Characters: Obi-Wan, Zane (OC), Anakin, Padme, Xanatos and others.
    Summary: The Senate is terribly divided and the Separatists threaten war. As the Republic descends into chaos, Padawans Anakin and Zane find themselves making choices that could affect the future of the Republic and the Jedi Order. Sequel of http://boards.theforce.net/the_saga/b10476/29433246/p1/?105]Family[/url] Bonds.
    Disclaimer: I don't own Star Wars, I?m just borrowing it for a while. I also don?t own any of the Dune quotes and any other things of Dune that creep in.
    Note: Did you know that George Lucas got a good portion of ideas from Dune? I didn?t realize this until now, there are so many similarities.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[image=[url]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/jacen1zanebaby.jpg][/url]
    Here is a picture of Obi-Wan and newborn Zane that earlybird-obi-wan created.

[image=[url]http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/jacen1meditating.jpg][/url]
    Here is a picture of Qui-Gon and Zane meditating that earlybird-obi-wan created.

Prologue

Zane lay on the soft grass of the garden and enjoyed the humid warmth and the singing birds. It was his favorite place to come to early in the morning, before everyone else woke up. He felt at peace here in the garden. Here he let his worries and frustrations drain away. But it only lasted for a short time, for when he left the garden to begin his daily routine, all the worries and frustrations would come rushing back to him.

He had spoken to Anakin about this and he agreed, for he felt the same way. A brief period of peace and then it felt like the darkness was trying to drag them into its current. It was worrying, and didn?t help all the other concerns in a Jedi?s life. Privately Anakin had told him how, ever since he left Tatooine, a coldness gripped him. Anger still came easily to him, and Zane confessed silently that anger came easily to him as well. Oh, but he wasn?t about to let his master or his father find out.

His father did know about Anakin?s anger issues and attempted to have Zane go on most of their missions with them in hopes that his presence would help Anakin to think before he reacted. Alas, it has not solved the problem, only dampened it. Of course, having two boys with anger issues each trying to keep the other from doing something stupid didn?t really work. A few bad events were avoided, but it wasn?t the best way of dealing with the issue.

The darkness was ever pulling at them, ever grabbing at them with its sharp claws of power. The darkness tempted Anakin to strike down the slave trader Krayn, but Zane asked Anakin if the slave trader deserved a quick death and so Anakin backed off. The slave trader was brought to trial, but on his way out of the courtroom he was shot and killed by a relative of one of his former slaves.

There were other incidents on other missions that were close ones, but there were the missions where Zane would be the one getting into trouble before Anakin. They got yelled at more than once, but Obi-Wan always had a valid reason to being angry and frustrated at them. No matter how hard they tried, something would set them off and they would go headlong into something without informing Obi-Wan.

There was a time when Anakin tried to humiliate Ferus, who had improperly fixed Tru?s lightsaber by not saying anything, but Zane had seen the mistake and fixed it. Later on, Anakin realized how stupid he was after a vicious battle. Ferus was using Tru?s lightsaber ? and if it had gone out, someone would have gone to defend him and probably would have been shot to death in the process due to the viciousness of the fight. It was a secret kept between him and Anakin after that.

Then, there was Qui-Gon, Zane?s master. He just knew something was wrong with him, but he would act as if nothing was wrong, and Obi-Wan would not

2. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    Addicted already :) Ironic being that I just read and finished the prequel to this, lol.

Leaving it like you did though is cruel now I am dieing to know what is wrong with Qui-Gon and what will happen to Zane if he ends up dieing? (so many questions....)

Looks like this fic is promising, great post.

Looking forward to more (aka. hopefully soon) :)

3. Valairy Scot

Valairy Scot Manager Emeritus star 6 VIP - Former Mod/RSA

Sep 16, 2005
    Oh,my, all these little twists to events from JA and all. So, Zane is 17 and Naboo was 10 years ago - now I finally know how old Zane was in the first story!

But what's going on with Qui?

4. snowspeeder_gunner

snowspeeder_gunner Jedi Padawan star 4

Apr 10, 2007
    This is Qui-Gon's illness, right? [face_worried]

I do love dynamic going on between Zane and Anakin- I'm interested to see where this will lead.

Also, Anakin is Paul! Kinda. :p

5. Yoda-i_am

Yoda-i_am Jedi Knight star 2

Jun 10, 2006
    NOT QUI GON!!!!!

Already addicted if you do have one please put me on the pm list.

thanks in advance

Y

6. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    Ganki: Addicted already Ironic being that I just read and finished the prequel to this, lol. heehee :)

Leaving it like you did though is cruel now I am dieing to know what is wrong with Qui-Gon and what will happen to Zane if he ends up dieing? (so many questions....) Well, i can say that it has to do with the disease he found out about in Family Bonds.

Looks like this fic is promising, great post. Thank you :)

Looking forward to more (aka. hopefully soon) Maybe by tomorrow. I want to get another chapter finished before i post so that i can stay ahead.

Valairy_Scot: Oh,my, all these little twists to events from JA and all. So, Zane is 17 and Naboo was 10 years ago - now I finally know how old Zane was in the first story! Yeah, he had his birthday when they arrived on Tatooine. More twists will be revealed later :)

But what's going on with Qui? His illness from Family Bonds.

snowspeeder_gunner: This is Qui-Gon's illness, right? Yep :(

I do love dynamic going on between Zane and Anakin- I'm interested to see where this will lead. Indeed.

Also, Anakin is Paul! Kinda. Well, in this fic he is and he isn't.

Yoda-i_am: NOT QUI GON!!!!! I'm afraid so :(

Already addicted if you do have one please put me on the pm list. I sure can :)

thanks in advance Your welcome.

Attention, any name that has a star next to it has too many unread messages from me.

PM List:

Jainasolorocks
    snowspeeder_gunner
    Force_Chick
    Valairy_Scot
    EGKenobi
    DanaeMariSkywalker *
    lilacph
    Yoda-i_am

7. EGKenobi

EGKenobi Jedi Master star 3

Apr 27, 2005
    Great start.

Can't wait to see where this one ends.

Didn't get my PM for this one though :(

Still found it though ;-)

EG

8. Force_Chick

Force_Chick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2008
    Excellent start! I'm betting that Zane and Anakin get into much trouble together[face_whistling]

9. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    EGKenobi: Great start.

Can't wait to see where this one ends.

Didn't get my PM for this one though

Still found it though ;-)
    I thought you might see the link to the sequel by the time you read the last chapter of Family Bonds. Sorry :(

Force_Chick: Excellent start! I'm betting that Zane and Anakin get into much trouble together Of course ;)

10. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    [image=http://i279.photobucket.com/albums/kk124/earlybird-obi-wan/forcenetart/jacen1tree.jpg]
    Here is another picture earlybird-obi-wan created for me for the fic.

Chapter 1

Zane found the bear clan after his last class and headed straight for Mari, who was playing a ball game with a Wookiee and a Nikto. ?Mari, where is my datapad??

Mari threw the ball to her Wookiee friend. ?You didn?t eat lunch with us.?

?That?s not a good excuse,? Zane said sourly.

?I saw Tad with it while we were in the garden,? Mari said as she caught the flashing brown ball before it sailed over her head.

Breathing out a sigh of frustration, Zane looked for Tad and found him drawing on a large sheet of paper in the corner of the room while lying on his stomach.

?Thaddeus, where is my datapad?? Zane asked, trying to keep the irritation out of his voice.

?I saw Zett Jukassa take it,? Tad said after briefly looking at Zane.

Turning about on his heel, Zane stormed out of the bear clan quarters and headed for the clan he vaguely remembered Zett being a part of. This is ridiculous.

He entered the Draigon Clan quarter?s and immediately found Zett studying a solar system coming from a small projection. ?Zett, did you by any chance find my datapad??

Zett looked up and frowned, ?Didn?t Whie Malreaux get it to you? After one of the younglings in the bear clan gave it to me, I bumped into Whie. He said he could take it to you for me.?

Of all the rotten luck. What is this, a bantha chase? ?Do you happen to know where Whie usually is at this hour?? he asked the brown haired, blue eyed boy.

?He?s probably in the south riverbed garden,? Zett answered.

Zane nodded his thanks and left. Yes this is a bantha chase, but it better not be wild if it turns out the bear clan still has it.

Forty-five minutes later, after talking to four more initiates and three padawans, Zane found out that his datapad was now safely in the quarters he shared with his Master.

?Rough day?? Qui-Gon asked as Zane entered the apartment.

Zane plopped down on the couch, causing the abused seat to squeak in protest, and laid his head back. ?If I had gone on that mission with Obi-Wan and Anakin, then I wouldn?t have had a rough day!? he answered, his annoyance leaking through his shields.

Qui-Gon set the datapad he was reading on an end table beside his chair and studied Zane. ?Calm yourself. Getting angry doesn?t fix anything.?

?I?m not angry, just annoyed,? he said, crossing his arms over his chest.

?It?s close enough,? Qui-Gon responded. ?Would you like some tea? There is some hot water on the stove.?

?No thanks.? Zane stood up picked up his datapad from the coffee table and headed for his room.

Qui-Gon sighed and stood up to go make himself some tea. He made it halfway to the kitchen when a sharp, numbing pain ran through his body, taking his breath away. He stumbled and leaned against the doorway as he struggled to regain his breath. The room tilted before him and his ears rang. His legs failed him and he crumbled to the ground.

Zane sensed that something was wrong through the Force and tossed his datapad on the bed before running out of the room. He found Qui-Gon on the floor and saw that he was unconscious. ?Master?? He checked his pulse and found it faint.

Taking his comlink off his belt, he keyed in the code for the healers and quickly told the receptionist that Qui-Gon needed medical help.

~*~*~

Anakin landed the ship in the Temple?s hanger and then quickly initiated the shutdown. Obi-Wan was already headed for the ramp and was halfway through the hanger by the time Anakin caught up to him. They raced to the healers? ward, where they sensed Qui-Gon and Zane, all the while being careful not to knock anyone down.

They slowed as they approached the room Qui-Gon was in and entered. Inside, they found Qui-Gon hooked up to monitors, with a breathing mask over his nose and mouth. Zane was sitting in a chair next to Qui-Gon, watching his master.

?Zane, how is he?? Obi-Wan asked

11. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Aw... a hard way to find out, but the boys have worked through it. Indeed, Qui has accomplished a lot in the additional years since Naboo.

12. GeneralKenobi7

GeneralKenobi7 Jedi Knight star 4

Jan 18, 2009
    Great start!=D=
    But you wouldn't let Qui-Gon die, would you? [face_worried]
    Can you please add me to your PM list?[face_praying]

13. Ganki

Ganki Jedi Master star 3

Jan 27, 2002
    WOW the boys where left in the dark for 10 years? Ouch not a fun way for them to find out but i can see why Qui wouldn't tell them.

Now off to see Padme, I wonder how Ani will react?!

Can you also add me to your PM list, thanks.

14. Force_Chick

Force_Chick Jedi Youngling star 1

May 18, 2008
    :_| Oh the pathos of that chapter! I need to learn to release it to the Force[face_laugh]

15. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    Valairy_Scot: Aw... a hard way to find out, but the boys have worked through it. Indeed, Qui has accomplished a lot in the additional years since Naboo. Indeed.

GeneralKenobi7: Great start! Thank you :)
    But you wouldn't let Qui-Gon die, would you? I wouldn't be a very good author if i kept bringing favorite characters back from the brink of death now would I? Will he live? hmm. Keep reading and find out.
    Can you please add me to your PM list? Sure :)

Ganki: WOW the boys where left in the dark for 10 years? Ouch not a fun way for them to find out but i can see why Qui wouldn't tell them. Yeah :(

Now off to see Padme, I wonder how Ani will react?! Well... :D

Can you also add me to your PM list, thanks. I sure can :)

Force_Chick: Oh the pathos of that chapter! I need to learn to release it to the Force *hands over a box of tissues*

PM List:

Jainasolorocks
    snowspeeder_gunner *
    Force_Chick
    Valairy_Scot
    EGKenobi
    DanaeMariSkywalker *
    lilacph
    Yoda-i_am
    GeneralKenobi7
    Ganki *

16. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    Chapter 2

Xanatos sat at his wooden dark brown desk and slowly opened a container filled with tiny packages of an orange substance. What was it the woman had called it? Natural mélange? He took one of the packages and unwrapped it; it was the size of his little finger. A cinnamony smell tickled the hairs in his nose as he took a whiff of it.

Popping it into his mouth, he chewed the mélange and marveled at the delightful taste. It was pleasurable and exciting and dangerous at the same time. Soon he would be on Coruscant, delivering Qui-Gon a box of mélange. He would make Qui-Gon addicted to them and be the only person who had any source of mélange for him.

It was a clever idea, especially since it was possible that the mélange could cure Qui-Gon. Ah, but the cure had a cost, for once one was addicted they could not stop taking it or even try weaning themselves off it, because if they did they would die. Qui-Gon dependant on him for survival ? it was perfect revenge.

Xanatos closed the box. It wouldn?t do if he himself became addicted to it, but it tasted so good. It made him feel good. It had been many years since he had contact with the Jedi except for Zane and Anakin, who contacted him somewhat frequently when they were in between missions.

The boys were still totally oblivious to his deviousness. Powerful as they were, they were still so gullible.

Soon he would have his revenge. Soon.

~*~*~

Ob-Wan, Anakin, and Zane navigated their way through the Senate apartment complex for the turbolift they needed to take to Senator Amidala?s apartments. Zane and Anakin walked behind Obi-Wan, still in a solemn mood except for Anakin ? whenever he turned his thought to Padme, his mood lifted. In the Force it was like someone turning a lightswitch on and off.

Zane chewed on his tongue, trying not to let Anakin?s sudden mood changes bother him. By the time they reached the turbolift, Zane had had enough. ?Will you make up your mind already, Anakin??

Anakin gave a little jump and looked at Zane with a startled expression. ?What??

Obi-Wan entered the turbolift and looked at Anakin and Zane. ?Both of you need to be paying attention to the here and now. We have a mission to complete, that is our focus.? He pressed a button to keep the doors from closing. ?Now let?s go.?

Anakin and Zane entered the lift and the doors closed behind them. Zane chose to stand facing away from Obi-Wan and Anakin, staring out of the clear glass of the turbolift that provided a view of the descending night. Normally he had fun watching and feeling Anakin?s different moods through the Force, but today it just grated on his nerves. He could shield, but then Obi-Wan would question him about it, and he really didn?t want to talk with his father yet.

?You seem a little on edge, Anakin,? Obi-Wan noted as the turbolift began to climb.

?Not at all,? Anakin replied, not sounding at all convinced. He had tried to focus on the mission as Obi-Wan had told them to, but then he started wondering ? would Padme recognize him? Would she still like him?

?I haven?t seen you this nervous since the incident on Tysoon eight.?

Anakin shook his head and focused instead on the conversation, a smile twitching at his lips. ?That was different. The Mayor?s daughter was plain creepy and I was younger then.? And I shouldn?t be as nervous as I was then. I know Padme, she is loving, caring, and keeps her promises. I know that she is a good person.

A smile twitched at Obi-Wan?s lips and Zane just frowned at the conversation, his mood darkening further.

?You?re sweating,? Obi-Wan noted. ?Take a deep breath. Relax.?

?I haven?t seen her in ten years.? Bad excuse.

?Anakin, relax,? Obi-Wan reiterated. ?Clear you thoughts. Don?t leap over the pond or you?ll fall in. Take the stepping stones across.?

Anakin took another deep breath and focused on the meaning of Obi-Wan?s words. One step at a time. Next step is to exit the turbolift.

Obi-Wan glanced over at Zane, who was pointedly ignoring them. ?Za

17. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    :_| Poor Zane! It must be terrible to feel Qui-Gon dying a bit more every minute:_|

But Zane counting points was funny[face_laugh] Anakin really didn't shine in that contest:D

Update soon!

18. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    GeneralKenobi7: Poor Zane! It must be terrible to feel Qui-Gon dying a bit more every minute Yeah :(

But Zane counting points was funny Anakin really didn't shine in that contest No he didn't.

Update soon! Probably sometime early this week.

19. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    And here comes the month of April. I'm sure you're all busy, but hopefully it's busy at a job and not searching for one. I have an interview on the thirteenth and sent out two more applications, hopefully i can get something soon. *Sigh* Anyway, here is another chapter to read to help you all through your week :) :D

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Chapter 3

After Obi-Wan left to go to the lower levels to check on the captain?s security measures, Zane approached Anakin. ?Who do you think may be behind it??

Anakin stared out of the widow for moment and then looked at Zane. ?I?m not sure. It can?t possibly be Count Dooku, and it can?t simply be disgruntled miners. A Separatist with a grudge perhaps??

Zane shrugged. ?It could be, but there?s no strong proof. A senator makes a lot of enemies.?

?I feel there is some more to this then a simple assassination attempt. What if there?s a more sinister motive? What if someone wants war to break out?? Anakin said.

?The four D?s? Disruption plus demoralization plus distraction equals devastation. The disruption could be the discord in the Senate. The distraction could be the attacks on the senator.?

?Or demoralization can be the attacks on the Senator. To destroy the hopes that the dispute with the Separatists can be resolved peacefully,? Anakin put in, a frown forming on his face. ?We should get a hold of Xanatos and see if he can find out something.?

Zane nodded. ?Yes, I was just thinking that.?

Anakin glanced toward Padme?s bedroom.

?Negative three and six,? Zane said with a smirk as he followed Anakin?s gaze.

Anakin looked back at him. ?What??

?You scored negative three and Padme scored six,? Zane responded.

Anakin rolled his eyes. ?Give me a break. I?ll choose my words better next time.?
    ?Want to bet on it? You already dug yourself a good hole to hide in,? Zane said.

?Just wait until you get a crush on a girl. Then you won?t be laughing,? Anakin responded.

?I should add another two negative points for inappropriate time and place in what you said.? Zane grinned and Anakin just scowled.

Anakin walked over to where the security screen and flicked it to the pone that showed the inside of Padme?s bedroom. Padme was pulling back her covers, her long brown hair flowing down her back. He stared, totally fixated on her until she draped something partly over the lenses of the camera. ?Hey.?

Anakin opened the door to her bedroom and stepped inside. ?You know, covering the camera lenses does not help us do our duty to protect you.?

Padme drew her robe back over her nightgown as she sat on her bed. ?I programmed Artoo to give out a warning if there is an intruder, Anakin. I am sure your Jedi senses will be able to detect anything amiss without the aid of the security camera.?

?Yes, but??

?Look at it this way. I?ll be the bait, you catch the assassin and we can get to the root of these assassination attempts. Now I?m going to get some sleep,? Padme said, dismissing him.

Anakin left her room and released his annoyance into the Force. ?She?s so stubborn.?

?And she?s stressed,? Zane added as he stood near the window. ?I don?t think the attention you?ve been giving her is helping much.?

?She could use a distraction,? Anakin pointed out.

Zane shook his head, holding back a laugh. ?What would your mother say? Speaking of your mother?? Zane paused and then looked at Anakin. ?I had a vision this morning, it was mainly brief flashes of different events. In one of the flashes I saw a disturbing image involving your mother.?

Anakin braced himself. Did Zane have a similar vision that he had been having? Was his mother really in serious trouble? His skin prickled as Zane continued.

?I saw your mother die.? Zane said.

The door that connected the corridor to the apartment slid open at that moment and Obi-Wan walked into the room. ?Captain Typho has more than enough men downstairs,? he said. ?No assassin will try that way. Any activity up here??

?Quiet as a tomb,? Anakin replie

20. Valairy Scot

Sep 16, 2005
    Is this an April's Fool joke? Qui dying while Obi's hanging and Ani's drooling?

?Thank you, Master,? Anakin said.

/Maybe you should give him more credit./ Zane suggested.

/Maybe./ Anakin answered, wondering about the fact that Obi-Wan was willing to do something.

See, not is all as it seems, Anakin.

21. GeneralKenobi7

Jan 18, 2009
    Qui-Gon is dead!?!?!:eek: On no!:_|

22. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    Valairy_Scot: Is this an April's Fool joke? Qui dying while Obi's hanging and Ani's drooling?
    You wish. I'm not good with jokes and whenever i do have a good April Fools joke, it's usually a couple weeks after April Fools. Life continues even while someone is dying.

?Thank you, Master,? Anakin said.

/Maybe you should give him more credit./ Zane suggested.

/Maybe./ Anakin answered, wondering about the fact that Obi-Wan was willing to do something.

See, not is all as it seems, Anakin.
    So true. Obi-Wan may not be a Padawan anymore, but he is learning and he does have the right to change the way he goes about things.

GeneralKenobi7: Qui-Gon is dead!?!?! On no! Yeah :(

23. earlybird-obi-wan

earlybird-obi-wan Chosen One star 6

Aug 21, 2006
    Hey, just found your story and it's real great seeing the events of AOTC developping with Anakin and Zane.

Zane is a nice character.:)

24. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    earlybird-obi-wan: Hey, just found your story and it's real great seeing the events of AOTC developping with Anakin and Zane. Thanks :) i'm glad that you're enjoying it.

Zane is a nice character. Thanks :)

25. jacen200015

Jan 11, 2002
    A/N: My beta reader still hasn't gotten back to me about the latest chapters I've written. So, are you guys fine with waiting a few more days or would you rather me post a new chapter now?